ADVERTISEMENT

Forde piece on epic choke job

New Pal Boiler

All-American
Jun 30, 2010

This is clearly now in our program’s collective head.

Watching the Memphis/FAU game, and now TCU/Arizona, we clearly need better athletes at every position.

But beyond that, we might need to bring in a sports psychologist, before this becomes endemic.

lol. The NYT article from today highlighted that we are using a sport psychologist. Maybe fire him first.

It's the head coach though, he need to change and he won't/can't
We need some dudes. It’s not about the Xs and the Os, it’s about the jimmies and the joes.

Reminds me of the colts this year. Good players, nice guys, but no DUDES. No one you’re worried about.

Serious question but how did our players look like walk-ons against a school from a conference ... who's champion couldn't compete in the tourney because they were transitioning from DII?

When most teams get upset, the other teams are usually playing on fire (i.e. UMBC couldn't miss against UVA). To be frank (outside of a few shots), the other team was not exactly playing out of their minds.

Is it a lack of talent? That's on the coach.
Is it a lack of preparation? Also on the coach.
Is it being unable to adjust or have Plans B,C and D in place in case the other coach uses a different strategy? ON THE COACH.

It's really time to move on. He has proved to us since 2011 (against VCU) that he is not the man to lead us to a Final Four or a Championship.

Serious question but how did our players look like walk-ons against a school from a conference ... who's champion couldn't compete in the tourney because they were transitioning from DII?

When most teams get upset, the other teams are usually playing on fire (i.e. UMBC couldn't miss against UVA). To be frank (outside of a few shots), the other team was not exactly playing out of their minds.

Is it a lack of talent? That's on the coach.
Is it a lack of preparation? Also on the coach.
Is it being unable to adjust or have Plans B,C and D in place in case the other coach uses a different strategy? ON THE COACH.

It's really time to move on. He has proved to us since 2011 (against VCU) that he is not the man to lead us to a Final Four or a Championship.
I think it’s going from big ten play to a completely different style of play, which is preparation and on the coach.

I think it’s going from big ten play to a completely different style of play, which is preparation and on the coach.
Yeah really hurt the other Big Ten schools getting to final since 2000. MSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State , maybe I. Issued a few?

Reactions: titaniumbolt
“We need” this, “we need” that. What we need is a new coach and new culture.
What evidence is there that after 18 years, Painter will change, either from a recruiting or style Of play?
He’ll continue to get system guys that he thinks will play within his old, antiquated system that can win B10 rock fights but can’t compete athletically in March.
If you believe differently, you’re very naive.

This is clearly now in our program’s collective head.

Watching the Memphis/FAU game, and now TCU/Arizona, we clearly need better athletes at every position.

But beyond that, we might need to bring in a sports psychologist, before this becomes endemic.

This has nothing to do with the players. If anyone needs help or an intervention, it's Painter. He's the common thread in the continual March collapses.

LOL. None of that means we had better athletes. Which positions were we quicker than them?
Are you seriously trying to tell me FDU has better "athletes" than Purdue? Because you thought they were faster than Purdue? That the only difference in the 2 teams and why Purdue lost was because FDU's players were "quicker"? Lol... That's a ridiculous argument... And, if actually true which it's not, would 100% be CMP's fault... I've seen you all over this board defending CMP... But by this very logic it's on CMP... So is it "CMP didn't make those bad passes" or "it was because FDU has better "athletes" (which is also no where close to being true)? The truth is CMP was out coached by the 3rd straight double digit seed coach. There is NO other explaination than that... Don't forget about VCU and Cincinnati collapse either... All out coached and in all of these games the team looked the same... Deer in headlights and 100% not accepting the challenge... This is coaching point blank period... If you're ok with that then by all means continue to watch Purdue be embarrassed in on the biggest stage year after year... I personally don't accept that...

Here is my outsiders comment. I will not disagree that the 1st round loss was terrible. However, as a Michigan fan the team I feared the most over the decades is Purdue. How the heck is Purdue beating my team with that slug Jim Rowinski? Painter has continued the Keady tradition of playing way above their talent. Purdue keeps winning in the Big10. You scratch your head when you do player to player comparisons and say, "How did Purdue win?!!!" The flip side of this is when you get to the NCAA tournament which is more about talent, the one and done is detrimental to Purdue. A lazy talented team that decides to pay attention for a few weeks has the advantage over a team of overachievers.

I have nothing but the highest respect for your coach who won a Big10 championship with not one but two undersized freshmen guards and team that really was not good at hitting the 3-pt shot. Edey generated the best open looks. Yet the team can't even shoot 33% from deep? Compound that freshmen points stink not just at scoring but running the offense. I personally am confounded that this team did what it did.

I have nothing but the highest respect for Matt Painter. He coaches as he played, way above his pay grade.

@The Boiler Special

Was Gillis quicker than his man?
Was Edey quicker than his man?
Was Loyer quicker than his man?

This team was SLOW. Crazy slow compared to some of the other teams I watched last nite…TCU, Arizona State, FAU, Memphis, even IU…

Painter needs to get over himself, to use his words, pass the hat among the black leather seat crowd, and go buy a few studs in the portal this spring.

You think we couldn’t have used Nijel Pack last night?

Getting "dudes" isn't going to change how Painter coaches. We had dudes last year with the same result.
Sasha, Hunter, Gillis… love ‘em all, but guys like that aren’t starting for the NCAA tourney teams that won last night….

It reminds me of some of those huge 80s Nebraska football teams that would beat up on the Big Eight all year and then in the orange bowl get boat-raced by a Miami or Florida State team that was faster at every position.

@The Boiler Special

Was Gillis quicker than his man?
Was Edey quicker than his man?
Was Loyer quicker than his man?

This team was SLOW. Crazy slow compared to some of the other teams I watched last nite…TCU, Arizona State, FAU, Memphis, even IU…

Painter needs to get over himself, to use his words, pass the hat among the black leather seat crowd, and go buy a few studs in the portal this spring.

You think we couldn’t have used Nijel Pack last night?
Go back and watch the Duke, Gonzaga, and Marquette games. Was Gillis quicker than his man? Was Edey quicker than his man? Was Loyer quicker than his man?

Go back and watch the Duke, Gonzaga, and Marquette games. Was Gillis quicker than his man? Was Edey quicker than his man? Was Loyer quicker than his man?
I was at the Marquette game - CMP even put Waddell in because all of his rotation guys were too slow to stay in front of Joplin.

Sasha, Hunter, Gillis… love ‘em all, but guys like that aren’t starting for the NCAA tourney teams that won last night….

It reminds me of some of those huge 80s Nebraska football teams that would beat up on the Big Eight all year and then in the orange bowl get boat-raced by a Miami or Florida State team that was faster at every position.
I hope Gillis and Morton return next year, hope they’re the 7th/8th men in the rotation, Newman is a great guy, probably best for him to play his last year at a smaller level school where he can have fun and play 30 minutes a night, maybe an Indiana State/Valpo/Loyola type of school. I hope all others return along with a portal transfer that adds athleticism and can shoot it a bit. I hope Edey returns but if he doesn’t I think Furst/Renn can handle that spot, if Edey does return I want Renn to get the bulk of the PF minutes, let Furst back up both, that will give him plenty of minutes.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I hope Gillis and Morton return next year, hope they’re the 7th/8th men in the rotation, Newman is a great guy, probably best for him to play his last year at a smaller level school where he can have fun and play 30 minutes a night, maybe an Indiana State/Valpo/Loyola type of school. I hope all others return along with a portal transfer that adds athleticism and can shoot it a bit. I hope Edey returns but if he doesn’t I think Furst/Renn can handle that spot, if Edey does return I want Renn to get the bulk of the PF minutes, let Furst back up both, that will give him plenty of minutes.
To finish my analogy, there were a ton of frustrated Nebraska football fans in the late 80s and early 90s. Osborne “couldn’t win the big one.”

Then he went and recruited some better athletes on both sides of the ball and won 3 natties.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT