ADVERTISEMENT

For all of the FIRE PAINTER! Morons

New Pal Boiler

All-American
Jun 30, 2010
For all of the posters who think Bobinski should have fired Matt Painter, I have a question for you:

If Purdue had gone 10-10 in the B1G, got a 9 seed and lost to an 8 seed in the NCAA, would you still want Painter fired?

So going 10-10 and making the tournament for the 8th year in a row is a fireable offense at Purdue?
It is after 20 years of the same thing. It’s just time for a change. Painter’s been a really good coach for Purdue. But, he’s done absolutely everything that he is capable of doing. I thank him for what he has done, and I would thank him to move on.

It is after 20 years of the same thing. It’s just time for a change. Painter’s been a really good coach for Purdue. But, he’s done absolutely everything that he is capable of doing. I thank him for what he has done, and I would thank him to move on.
And who would you target to replace him?

For all of the posters who think Bobinski should have fired Matt Painter, I have a question for you:

If Purdue had gone 10-10 in the B1G, got a 9 seed and lost to an 8 seed in the NCAA, would you still want Painter fired?
I don’t consider myself “FIRE PAINTER!” or a moron, but here’s my answer to this question. If those were the results this year in what was expected to be a rebuilding year, then no. Clearly you see what he can do with returning talent and new recruits (have to assume Edey not playing at a NPOY level to be 10-10 so guessing he is coming back in this scenario).

If however, that became the new normal .500 and early exit, then I think you have to reevaluate. Fan apathy starts creeping in, losing donations, etc. There has to be a trade off and some success somewhere. I think most fans would take 10-10 in the B1G if the tournament result is final four or better. Winning in the tournament forgives a lot of past sins for most fan bases. In a perfect world, I’d take the MSU route of pick up some early season losses while putting together a late season run.

Reactions: michaelwestin
And who would you target to replace him?
Not really sure. I will say that I would model us after what the SEC is doing from a coach/athlete standpoint. I sadly see basketball going the same way as football where the SEC is head and shoulders above everyone else.

I think maybe if there’s been no success in the tourney in the last 10 years I would be calling for his firing. An elite 8 appearance and the sweet 16 appearances shows he can win in the tourney.

Painter has had two consecutive 29 win seasons. They won the conference championship and the conference tournament this year. They earned a number one seed in the tourney. This was supposed to be a down year, and they were in the top 5 practically all year.

I think it's fair to say recruiting is better than ever. We lost a starter to the transfer portal last year because of roster upgrades. We will probably lose one or two players this year who have started games, not because they don't want to play here, but because there's not enough minutes for all the quality players we have. I understand being mad about one game. I don't understand how people can be so upset about the quality of our basketball program and head coach.

Painter has built a program that can compete for National Championships. That was widely viewed as indisputable fact until about a week ago. Yeah, the FDU loss sucked. But this team is still one of the best in the country, and recruiting seems to suggest they are still building momentum. So when somebody says we should fire Painter and pay him a $16 million buyout, start completely from scratch, and hire the imaginary head coach just waiting to come to West Lafayette and take us to a National Championship? Come on, that's not even rational.

Not really sure. I will say that I would model us after what the SEC is doing from a coach/athlete standpoint. I sadly see basketball going the same way as football where the SEC is head and shoulders above everyone else.
So you want to fire the B1G champion coach, who has made 3 sweet 16s in the last 6 tournaments, pay him $16 million to go away, and you have no idea who should replace him.

Do I have that right ?

Purdue Has made 4 sweet 16’s in the last 6 tournaments. (2020 - cancelled).
I’m curious how many other programs have made the second weekend over that time frame.

I agree FDU game was awful, but I think a coaching change would put us more on the Nebraska, Minnesota, Penn state, northwestern level and not on a championship contender level.

There is an old saying if my aunt had a cock she'd be my uncle

I’m curious how many other programs have made the second weekend over that time frame.

I agree FDU game was awful, but I think a coaching change would put us more on the Nebraska, Minnesota, Penn state, northwestern level and not on a championship contender level.
S16 aren't e8 and don't counter act r64 loses to 13 or 16 seed.

So you want to fire the B1G champion coach, who has made 3 sweet 16s in the last 6 tournaments, pay him $16 million to go away, and you have no idea who should replace him.

Do I have that right ?
The difference is expectations of an 18 year coach. Some fans have a goal of winning a f4 and when the team lead by painter flushed its best chance to getting there 2 years in a row and 3 years ago was another double digit seed loss in the first round. 4 years ago the team wouldn't have made the tourney 5 years ago painter fondly broke his e8 cherry only for his team to give away the f4 in the final minutes of play. Idk not hard for people with that expectation to be an ainter.

Do I expect bobinski to fire painter, no.

Would I riot if painter was let go, no.

Did you really make a new thread for this?

Because nearly every other coach in the nation has done it? Just randomly pick one and put them in charge. It has to be better than what we currently have. Is that the proposal?
Yes. Everyone in the country has at least the same number of Final Fours as CMP…including you and me…and my two dogs.

Reactions: steakman765
Painter has had two consecutive 29 win seasons. They won the conference championship and the conference tournament this year. They earned a number one seed in the tourney. This was supposed to be a down year, and they were in the top 5 practically all year.

I think it's fair to say recruiting is better than ever. We lost a starter to the transfer portal last year because of roster upgrades. We will probably lose one or two players this year who have started games, not because they don't want to play here, but because there's not enough minutes for all the quality players we have. I understand being mad about one game. I don't understand how people can be so upset about the quality of our basketball program and head coach.

Painter has built a program that can compete for National Championships. That was widely viewed as indisputable fact until about a week ago. Yeah, the FDU loss sucked. But this team is still one of the best in the country, and recruiting seems to suggest they are still building momentum. So when somebody says we should fire Painter and pay him a $16 million buyout, start completely from scratch, and hire the imaginary head coach just waiting to come to West Lafayette and take us to a National Championship? Come on, that's not even rational.
Yep, losing to double-digit seeds three years in a row shows that he’s got things trending in the right direction.

Reactions: NashvilleBoiler

FDU game was awful? What about St. Peter’s and North Texas? Arkansas Little Rock before that. VCU before that. I’m tired of Purdue losing to these jive teams. We know Painter ain’t going to change his basketball philosophy, so we need to go a different direction. You must be satisfied in winning conference championships.

Did you really make a new thread for this?

Do I have that right ?

FDU game was awful? What about St. Peter’s and North Texas? Arkansas Little Rock before that. VCU before that. I’m tired of Purdue losing to these jive teams. We know Painter ain’t going to change his basketball philosophy, so we need to go a different direction. You must be satisfied in winning conference championships.
So if we had been a 9 seed and lost to Arkansas in the first round, you would want to pay Matt $16 million to go away and go hire some unknown commodity?

Crean made a Final Four, do you want to buyout Painter for $16 million and then hire him ?
Yes. That’s exactly what I want. But…wait…what if we can’t get him?!?!? All the Painter lovers say we could not possibly get someone better!!!!! What will we do?!?!?

So if we had been a 9 seed and lost to Arkansas in the first round, you would want to pay Matt $16 million to go away and go hire some unknown commodity?
Yep. Even more so. A BIG team being a 9 seed means that team is jacked up. You need a better coach.

ask Minny if they would be?

Imagine the teeth gnashing and screams of a mod coming and removing a poster for starting a thread calling others morons or baby bitch boys. Snowflakes are always the loudest and entitled to any language they want while desperately trying to silence others. Funny.

• Haha
Reactions: clankhan
Imagine the teeth gnashing and screams of a mod coming and removing a poster for starting a thread calling others morons or baby bitch boys. Snowflakes are always the loudest and entitled to any language they want while desperately trying to silence others. Funny.
Done crying yet Emo boy?

• Wow
Reactions: clankhan
😂 - Just leave him alone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT