ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Burke Tonight.

This is another tale in the Purdue Country Club. They lead all of West Lafayette in AA members. Sorry, I shouldn't have said that.

You realize he's here until 65, right? Nothing happens until then.
You realize, I hope, since it's obvious, that when the next Purdue football HC is hired, whether it's this December, or 10 years from now, that new HC must be hired by a post-MB AD because no decent HC candidate is going to accept the job from an AD who has one or two years left prior to retirement, as MB.

And if this season turns into a dumpster fire, which appears very likely after today's debacle, Purdue cannot afford to allow Hazell to continue into a 4th year. So if Mitch is worth his salt, he is tonight putting together a committee charged with identifying candidates for MB's replacement, since it appears very possible we'll need to be looking for a new HC by November. If Hazell pulls it out of the fire and earns a 4th year, then fine, he can work for a new AD next year. But regardless, MB's own personal timetable is of no relevance -- he can be made a "consultant" to the new AD for his final year -- next year -- before he retires at 65.

If Mitch isn't working on this tonight, then he is derelict in his duties.

You realize, I hope, since it's obvious, that when the next Purdue football HC is hired, whether it's this December, or 10 years from now, that new HC must be hired by a post-MB AD because no decent HC candidate is going to accept the job from an AD who has one or two years left prior to retirement, as MB.

And if this season turns into a dumpster fire, which appears very likely after today's debacle, Purdue cannot afford to allow Hazell to continue into a 4th year. So if Mitch is worth his salt, he is tonight putting together a committee charged with identifying candidates for MB's replacement, since it appears very possible we'll need to be looking for a new HC by November. If Hazell pulls it out of the fire and earns a 4th year, then fine, he can work for a new AD next year. But regardless, MB's own personal timetable is of no relevance -- he can be made a "consultant" to the new AD for his final year -- next year -- before he retires at 65.

If Mitch isn't working on this tonight, then he is derelict in his duties.
None of that is realistic, nor is any of it happening. Burke will serve until his planned retirement, regardless of what ultimately occurs with your football program.

Be interesting to watch Burke and Daniels squirm after what could be another 1 win season. Would they make a change then?

The guy has done enough damage, we can't afford to let him make the next football hire. We can't afford to let him stay until he's 65 years old either.

Purdue needs an athletic director who is capable of establishing a proper vision for athletics for Purdue, most especially the football team. NIU, Bowling Green, Marshall, Ohio, schools like this are CONSTANTLY dominating Purdue. Constantly. It is pathetic. It is absolutely pathetic. Schools that have coaches come in, establish powerful offenses, and then get snatched up by bigger schools. And then these schools go out and find another coach, and another coach, and another coach, and another coach, and another coach. Purdue gets coaches that literally love losing and instill a nelly team personality. And it is that team personality that is most above all else sickeningly loser. Did Burke not go out and study the football Kent State was playing under Hazel? One season...was that all it took to make the hire? Look at Kent State now. They almost beat Minnesota. Minnesota would beat Purdue by 30 or more. Look at the Stadium project. Totally unfinished for more than a decade. Purdue has the worst athletic director in college football.

None of that is realistic, nor is any of it happening. Burke will serve until his planned retirement, regardless of what ultimately occurs with your football program.

Really, so you came on here for your first post to tell us what is and isn't possible at Purdue?!

I agree with the part about Burke serving to his planned retirement date, but that service won't be as AD beginning next year if Hazell doesn't right this ship very quickly, which seems unlikely now.

Purdue needs an athletic director who is capable of establishing a proper vision for athletics for Purdue, most especially the football team. NIU, Bowling Green, Marshall, Ohio, schools like this are CONSTANTLY dominating Purdue. Constantly. It is pathetic. It is absolutely pathetic. Schools that have coaches come in, establish powerful offenses, and then get snatched up by bigger schools. And then these schools go out and find another coach, and another coach, and another coach, and another coach, and another coach. Purdue gets coaches that literally love losing and instill a nelly team personality. And it is that team personality that is most above all else sickeningly loser. Did Burke not go out and study the football Kent State was playing under Hazel? One season...was that all it took to make the hire? Look at Kent State now. They almost beat Minnesota. Minnesota would beat Purdue by 30 or more. Look at the Stadium project. Totally unfinished for more than a decade. Purdue has the worst athletic director in college football.

Yes, but that's just football, have you seen our women's softball stadium -- very impressive!

Again, this mess has been building for years. I cannot see that it will be solved quickly. We are in it for the long haul.

Last edited:
Again, this mess has been building for years. I cannot it will be solved quickly. We are in it for the long haul.

No one is saying the problems with football can solved quickly. But Hazell won't survive if he goes 1-11, which looks very likely now. And MB cannot hire the next coach. So you have to line up a new AD soon, as in within 3 months. Once we have a new AD in place, then we can begin the "long haul," again.

Reactions: Redhotfill
What makes you think Drew Brees knows anything about running an Athletic Dept.? Whether we want to admit it or not,
in today's college world, you need somebody with either a law or business background (spent years in Athletic Departments around the country) to run these departments. You look at the successful ADs out there, and they will meet the criteria I cite. Brees would be a feel-good hire, but you would be better off with Brian Cardinal.

What makes you think Drew Brees knows anything about running an Athletic Dept.? Whether we want to admit it or not,
in today's college world, you need somebody with either a law or business background (spent years in Athletic Departments around the country) to run these departments. You look at the successful ADs out there, and they will meet the criteria I cite. Brees would be a feel-good hire, but you would be better off with Brian Cardinal.
Yep it's got to be somebody with a strong background in managing a business and it can't be an ex-Purdue swimmer. If he's a former athlete it has to be FB or BB or nothing. We don't need another dummy fulfilling his fantasies of great venues for his buddies at the cost of the two money making sports ever again.

Really, so you came on here for your first post to tell us what is and isn't possible at Purdue?!

I agree with the part about Burke serving to his planned retirement date, but that service won't be as AD beginning next year if Hazell doesn't right this ship very quickly, which seems unlikely now.
I don't think there is any chance it will shake out that way. Burke was a loyal alum and letterman who never should have been hired for the AD position (and was only because of his ties to Purdue). He's managed the department competently from a fiscal standpoint, and many of the facilities have been enhanced or built during his tenure. In other words, he's been an able caretaker of an Athletic Department living 40 years behind the times. And he'll serve out his time as AD without interruption, reassignment or alteration in duties.

Reactions: Mobes and echs86
Especially after IU wins 3 in a row for the first time in 68 FRIGGIN YEARS! At some point boosters say I love my school but I'm not supporting more Idiocracy!

IU barely beat three cupcakes. Hardly anything to brag about for them. I think we'd be 3-0 too if we had played the same teams they have.

I don't think there is any chance it will shake out that way. Burke was a loyal alum and letterman who never should have been hired for the AD position (and was only because of his ties to Purdue). He's managed the department competently from a fiscal standpoint, and many of the facilities have been enhanced or built during his tenure. In other words, he's been an able caretaker of an Athletic Department living 40 years behind the times. And he'll serve out his time as AD without interruption, reassignment or alteration in duties.
So you think that either:

A) Hazell will be kept around for another year no matter the record, or

B) Daniels lets Burke mangle yet another football hire? No way.

So you think that either:

A) Hazell will be kept around for another year no matter the record, or

B) Daniels lets Burke mangle yet another football hire? No way.
Hazell will be judged on the overall improvement and direction of the program, and no one with input on that will be making a decision based on one loss in the third game of the third year against a good Va. Tech team. He certainly needs to win, but turning over coaches is a proven way to keep losing, so he's far from fired.

If you think Burke is solely in charge of hiring the football coach (regardless of where he is in his tenure), then you don't know how things work inside of most universities (and certainly how they work at Purdue). There are many, many cooks in the kitchen, and there always have been.

IU barely beat three cupcakes. Hardly anything to brag about for them. I think we'd be 3-0 too if we had played the same teams they have.
Your issues are overwhelmingly a matter of talent (or a lack thereof), and you'd likely have the same record against IU's schedule as you do now. Give Hazell a chance to fix it and build a culture, though recruiting really needs to pick up.

Excellent - an IU fan telling us to "stay the course". That's exactly what I've been telling my IU buddies - Wilson needs to be kept for as long as possible!

Excellent - an IU fan telling us to "stay the course". That's exactly what I've been telling my IU buddies - Wilson needs to be kept for as long as possible!
I saw that and nearly fell out of my chair laughing. There is talent on this team, it's just being developed by Yosemite Sam (see the beard connection?).

I take anything an IU fan says about keeping or firing coaches about as seriously as I do a popcorn fart. Actually, I take the popcorn fart more seriously...

I saw that and nearly fell out of my chair laughing. There is talent on this team, it's just being developed by Yosemite Sam (see the beard connection?).

I take anything an IU fan says about keeping or firing coaches about as seriously as I do a popcorn fart. Actually, I take the popcorn fart more seriously...
Your talent level is at the bottom of the Big Ten. If you want to delude yourself into believing otherwise, that's fine, but it won't change the fact that your issues start with the abilities of your players. Very few of your players had other Big Ten offers, and that's reflected in your relative competitiveness. Those are simply facts, whether you accept them or not.

Your talent level is at the bottom of the Big Ten. If you want to delude yourself into believing otherwise, that's fine, but it won't change the fact that your issues start with the abilities of your players.
Well it's as I expected, you have no idea what you're talking about. No surprise really, it's typical for you IU people.

Our issues start with the ineptness of our coaching staff. Anyone without an agenda can see that and the only reason you want us to keep the current staff in place is so that IU has a chance to beat us. Purdue hires a competent coach and IU is the sole heir to the B1G doormat crown.

Your shenanigans are not fooling anyone here.

Well it's as I expected, you have no idea what you're talking about. No surprise really, it's typical for you IU people.

Our issues start with the ineptness of our coaching staff. Anyone without an agenda can see that and the only reason you want us to keep the current staff in place is so that IU has a chance to beat us. Purdue hires a competent coach and IU is the sole heir to the B1G doormat crown.

Your shenanigans are not fooling anyone here.
Most of your players didn't have offers from other Big Ten schools. You wisely avoided that fact in your reply because it blows up your argument. It's simply a fact that you'll ignore while deluding yourself into believing that it's all about coaching. The only person you're fooling is yourself.

Hazell will be judged on the overall improvement and direction of the program, and no one with input on that will be making a decision based on one loss in the third game of the third year against a good Va. Tech team. He certainly needs to win, but turning over coaches is a proven way to keep losing, so he's far from fired.

If you think Burke is solely in charge of hiring the football coach (regardless of where he is in his tenure), then you don't know how things work inside of most universities (and certainly how they work at Purdue). There are many, many cooks in the kitchen, and there always have been.

A) If Hazell wins 3 games or less, he must go. (I would say 4 myself, but that seems like a pipe dream at this point.

B) Burke will not be allowed to make the new hire.

C) We will not make a football coaching hire with an interim AD, like IU did so successfully with Terry Clapass about a decade ago. There is always a search committee, but the AD makes the final call, as Burke made so very clear with regard to his successful hires.

Most of your players didn't have offers from other Big Ten schools. You wisely avoided that fact in your reply because it blows up your argument. It's simply a fact that you'll ignore while deluding yourself into believing that it's all about coaching. The only person you're fooling is yourself.
Sign that we have indeed hit rock bottom: an IU troll giving us football recruiting "advice".
A sign of the apocalypse...

Reactions: Inspector100
The talent level and who got offers from where is irrelevant because that isn't our issue so I wasn't avoiding it, it is just not our glaring and primary issue. I get it though, the concept of the coaching staff being inept is far ... far... over your head. I mean you keep coaches like Tom Crean around so I don't expect you to understand.

A better coaching staff could win with the current talent on the roster. You know it, we know it and like I said your trolling attempt isn't fooling anyone. I mean you have 8 posts and probably all of them on here, so yup.. sure sign you're just trolling.

Sign that we have indeed hit rock bottom: an IU troll giving us football recruiting "advice".
A sign of the apocalypse...
I didn't give you advice so much as I gave you reality. That no one is challenging it says everything.

The talent level and who got offers from where is irrelevant because that isn't our issue so I wasn't avoiding it, it is just not our glaring and primary issue. I get it though, the concept of the coaching staff being inept is far ... far... over your head. I mean you keep coaches like Tom Crean around so I don't expect you to understand.

A better coaching staff could win with the current talent on the roster. You know it, we know it and like I said your trolling attempt isn't fooling anyone.
In other words, you can't hope to take issue with the facts I've presented because you either weren't aware of them or you're so desperate to lay everything at DH's feet that the facts don't matter. Your argument that Purdue can compete and win in the Big Ten with players no other conference school wanted simply makes no sense, but you're welcome to make it. Just be glad the athletic department isn't relying on you for help.

A) If Hazell wins 3 games or less, he must go. (I would say 4 myself, but that seems like a pipe dream at this point.

B) Burke will not be allowed to make the new hire.

C) We will not make a football coaching hire with an interim AD, like IU did so successfully with Terry Clapass about a decade ago. There is always a search committee, but the AD makes the final call, as Burke made so very clear with regard to his successful hires.
The AD makes the final recommendation, which he then runs through the President and the search committee for their blessing. Then (and only then) does the hire get made.

And it's Terry Clapacs . . .

In other words, you can't hope to take issue with the facts I've presented because you either weren't aware of them or you're so desperate to lay everything at DH's feet that the facts don't matter. Just be glad the athletic department isn't relying on you for help.
I'm still waiting for you to present just one relevant "fact". Here is a "fact" for you, who recruited these players that you say have no talent or other offers from other B1G schools? How about who is responsible for developing the talent on the team? Yep, DH and his staff (and Burke as well). It all begins and ends with him. Period. End of line

Game over chumly. Now go troll somewhere else. You've been outed, weighed and measured and have been found wanting. And thus, I leave you to your obvious trolling.

Last edited:
Reactions: pu1985
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT