ADVERTISEMENT

fan day report - stupid long ;-(

Jun 20, 2017
Since I haven't seen one I'll throw something out there.

Last minute plan so got there towards the end of autographs but what a great thing to take your kids to - mine are grown but thinking grandkids. Both the guys and ladies were engaged, personable and great with the fans. I like our players as people a lot!

Scrimmage was rough both physically and in execution.

Carsen - looks like he knows he's the best player in the country. He carries himself very confidently but not cocky. Doesn't sound like it makes sense but it does. His shot wasn't on but looks good and he played hard. He can get to the rim against anybody.

Cline - shot was good both 3 and a few moves toward the basket. I saw an article that Dakota stole shots from him last year. He looks like he's going to get his shots this year.

Grady - steady, hard working, in the right spot, good passing and hit most of his threes (4-6?). He will get minutes.

Nojel - he looks scary big. From a distance I thought he was Tre. Still quick, great moves to the hole, 5-8' jump hook will work against almost anybody. Didn't see an improved outside shot but he may not need one.

Haarms - good 3-ball in warm-ups, still high energy, tough D. He looks like a starting center.

Hunter - tentative on his outside shot (CMP was yelling for him to shoot) good 'D', a few good moves.

Tre - looks like a freshman big. A big, talented freshman big but will need some polish.

ED - see Tre. Very big man. Looks like Olajuwon physically to me - a girl can dream ;-)

EB - slow start. 1st scrimmage was against Haarms and Tre. 2nd and 3rd sessions he was one of the best on the floor. He will be there a lot.

SS - based on today he will get minutes. good shot, hard-nosed player, a few good passes.

AW - didn't impress today. Shot was off. Expectations were probably too high

Luce and King - nothing to report

Last minute plan so got there towards the end of autographs but what a great thing to take your kids to - mine are grown but thinking grandkids. Both the guys and ladies were engaged, personable and great with the fans. I like our players as people a lot!

Carsen - looks like he knows he's the best player in the country. He carries himself very confidently but not cocky. Doesn't sound like it makes sense but it does. His shot wasn't on but looks good and he played hard. He can get to the rim against anybody.

Cline - shot was good both 3 and a few moves toward the basket. I saw an article that Dakota stole shots from him last year. He looks like he's going to get his shots this year.

Grady - steady, hard working, in the right spot, good passing and hit most of his threes (4-6?). He will get minutes.

Nojel - he looks scary big. From a distance I thought he was Tre. Still quick, great moves to the hole, 5-8' jump hook will work against almost anybody. Didn't see an improved outside shot but he may not need one.

Haarms - good 3-ball in warm-ups, still high energy, tough D. He looks like a starting center.

Hunter - tentative on his outside shot (CMP was yelling for him to shoot) good 'D', a few good moves.

Tre - looks like a freshman big. A big, talented freshman big but will need some polish.

ED - see Tre. Very big man. Looks like Olajuwon physically to me - a girl can dream ;-)

EB - slow start. 1st scrimmage was against Haarms and Tre. 2nd and 3rd sessions he was one of the best on the floor. He will be there a lot.

SS - based on today he will get minutes. good shot, hard-nosed player, a few good passes.

Looks like Carsen shot 2 of 10 from three. My concern has always been where our offense comes from if his shot isn’t falling.

Did haarms look good offensively?

Did hunter contribute in other ways? Does ball flow well through him? How’d his defense look? These are likely more important to getting playing time.

I didn’t know Sasha was 6’5”. I agree he’s getting some playing time. I hope he can develop like Mathias did.

This is actually a pretty good break down. Only thing I will add to this is Aaron gonna be good he’s not hyped he gonna bring much value to this team they just gotta find out what he’s best suited position wise good at. Once he settled down he hit a few shots just need some actual game play. Nojel gonna shot it if he’s open it is improved just gotta find his spots that he don’t no yet but you right many teams will have tough time guarding him one on one to big. Can go left and right to basket he’s strong can shoot floaters over smaller defenders and the way he passes the ball shooters gonna be wide open he’s gonna be disruptive defensively and gonna cause so many matchup problems that teams think taking away his shot will stop him it won’t he got in the lane often either scored over smaller carsen who guarded him or when he penetrated the lane if a team help shooters will be wide open that will cause so many problems for defenses. I say would not take much into a team scrimmage in game play against another team will determine what this team gonna look like but it does give us all a glimpse of what the makeup of this team will look like I like what I see we will be faster in transition for sure and we got more shooters than some might have thought. Gonna be a fun season this team gonna electrify the crowd.

Looks like Carsen shot 2 of 10 from three. My concern has always been where our offense comes from if his shot isn’t falling.

Did haarms look good offensively?

Did hunter contribute in other ways? Does ball flow well through him? How’d his defense look? These are likely more important to getting playing time.

I didn’t know Sasha was 6’5”. I agree he’s getting some playing time. I hope he can develop like Mathias did.

Carsen was off today. His shot seemed a little flat. He gets to the rim at ease though and his body is ready to finish through contact. He also had 7 assists which was great to see. He will live at FT line this year.

As far as where offense comes from. The team shot a ton of 3s and hit 37%. We will see a lot of drive and kick with Carsen and Nojel. Nojel also finished really well around the rim. He scored once off a post up and also looks comfortable passing out of the post.

Haarms put the ball on the floor and drove for a layup which was nice to see. Also had a couple jump hooks. Mid range game and 3s did not look good today. He hit his FTs though.

Hunter had a quiet scrimmage and was hard to notice if you weren't watching him specifically. His ball handling was shaky at times. He was a pest defensively though and was able to get a lot of pressure on the ball.

Cline and Eifert both played like seniors. Cline was able to score off the dribble and was very aggressive. He could have a big year. Eifert just looked really good too. If I knew nothing about Purdue and watched the scrimmages I would think he was a starter. He was also the only player to go 3-0 yesterday.

Last edited:

saw this, but what I wrote in the other thread FWIW..
There is a lot here I can agree (TReed other thread) with as I was sitting in the soft seats behind you. I'm not going to be able to give my $.02 because as hard as I tried...it was hard for me not to watch the football game going on as well...knowing this was a scrimmage. That said I'll offer $.01 or less. The generalities I left with knowing it was but ONE scrimmage and possibly in total error were the following:

Ryan Cline has REALLY improved. He looks for his shot more AND really did a nice job of putting it on the floor. He is as comfortable as he was a senior in high school. No reluctance in driving the ball!!!

Grady was another glowing player. We all know the grit, hustle, team play and just doing what needs done. However, as TReed said he appears VERY comfortable with his stroke and doesn't hesitate to shoot when open...AND they went in!!! I can see him getting a lot of minutes early if not through the year....IF the scrimmage was not an anomaly. Since he did NOT hesitate shooting the ball...I'm guessing the scrimmage was NOT an anomaly.

Those two stood out as people that took their game up a few notches.

Nojel to me looks lighter...looks trimmed down a bit. Not having a low post allows Nojel a bit more driving the ball and allowed him many kick outs. As TReed said, the "lack of as much structure" (more my words) allows Nojel a bit more freedom and he is much more comfortable with it!!! He only shot one shot from the perimeter that I recall, but he can get in the lane and score (which he did)...and has great vision as we know. He had LOT of kickouts and when the ball comes from the lane OUT...the footwork for the three ball is less and it aids the shooter since there are less body parts in play. He will hit a much more comfortable zone this year and Purdue will need his boards as well.

Evan B. A bit slower than I hoped (but okay), but he is not afraid of mixing it up, can hit jumper (not sure it was a jumper behind the arc ;) ) fundamentally sound and smart. The refs let him get mauled a time or so. He will play as well. He doesn't get out of control and typically plays within himself. I'm guessing his versatility and IQ will allow him to provide what Purdue needs at different moments. He has that "old man's game"...not pretty, but effective.

Sasha, didn't look that rusty. Shot well early and made one of the better passes of the game. Not afraid of mixing it up and will get minutes this year as well I expect. However, with Ryan looking as good as he did and with Carsen on the floor...those minutes and play may be similar to Ryan's previous years. Still, he will be there when needed and only get better as he gets more minutes.

A. Wheeler did have a lot of open looks and they didn't drop. For the first two segments he just "looked to score" off of stationary shots only, although he dunked off a rebound without coming down and almost got a tip from a few feet out. The last segment he FINALLY put the ball on the court a bit. We know this kid is athletic and with a high ceiling. WHEN he gathers a bit more confidence he could take off. He is too soft in his play and needs more aggression. One good game and it could all click for this guy.

E. Hunter, as TReed said...passed up a few shots and the coaches told him to shoot the ball. He can defend and handle the ball enough to really help this year. He too was a bit passive like A.Wheeler, but has the tools to help and will get quality minutes this year.

M. Haarms stroked quite a few 3's during warm up. Obviously he has been given some ground to shoot on the perimeter. That didn't happen in the scrimmage and don't recall him shooting much other than a baseline jump hook that was impressive. We know he can move and is 7'3" as well as comfortable on the perimeter. I expect more looks outside...but we need more boards!!!

My "general negative"...a bit soft on the boards...too much jumping and not enough moving bodies...that was a concern based upon one scrimmage! Carsen, Nojel and Eric all applied good pressure...others as well, but the D starts with pressure on the ball!

My team surprise was the offense. I thought we would see more ball screens and it appears as of now that it is mostly a go to as the clock winds down. Instead, motion with off the ball movement as the typical Purdue brand was on display. The difference was a LOT more people willing to dribble towards the basket in motion which is great...and perhaps that too makes rebounding a bit more difficult for the D.

Dow is very raw...instincts are not honed and so "timing " of game is a bit fast for him for rebounding and such. He has little experience with teh game and so he has some time to develop and I look for him to be a really good player for Purdue down the road.

Tre did not look like 280, but for a few posts he was physical and then had some difficulty finishing under the bucket with the quicker jumpers around him. Dow and TRe are both young and their first time in front of Purdue fans. One scrimmage and one scrimmage only...unless teh scrimmage was anomaly...I doubt we see much from them this year. I hope I'm wrong and that the scrimmage is not indicative or that they do in fact improve a lot...but right now they need some time. I'm sure there are many more things that could be said, but trying to capture things knowing the importance of that football game made it hard for me to actually watch as much as possible...

I just read ur comment about my son and how I had to laugh at it bcuz you thought my son was Tre from a distance he look that big to you LOL. Tre a big boy just thought that was funny you thinking that was my son I can see it though their Hair looks similar LOL.

I just read ur comment about my son and how I had to laugh at it bcuz you thought my son was Tre from a distance he look that big to you LOL. Tre a big boy just thought that was funny you thinking that was my son I can see it though their Hair looks similar LOL.

I was a little embarrassed. My wife has a vision problem and is not familiar with the team yet so I was explaining who the players were as they were coming out. Nojel was across the court and it took me 5 steps or so before I realized it was him.

Just so you know my comment about his outside shot was not to get anything started. I was really impressed with his driving/finishing, his upper body strength and his speed. Carsen and him are going to drive other guards crazy on both ends of the floor - can't wait.

I was a little embarrassed. My wife has a vision problem and is not familiar with the team yet so I was explaining who the players were as they were coming out. Nojel was across the court and it took me 5 steps or so before I realized it was him.

Just so you know my comment about his outside shot was not to get anything started. I was really impressed with his driving/finishing, his upper body strength and his speed. Carsen and him are going to drive other guards crazy on both ends of the floor - can't wait.
Don’t be embarrassed Nojel pretty big boy to say the least. Also nothing started about his shot he just need to make that 1st in game shot to get his Confidence up like Grady did. I’m super pumped about this season this team once they get some games under there belt they gonna have eyes on them. Yes that backcourt of Edwards and Eastern are gonna cause havoc for opposing teams backcourt. Both built like brick houses and both fast as lightning with long wing span 6”9 and 6”6 lots of steals I see coming. That fast break gave us a glimpse of what it’s gonna look like in transition. Scary to think how dangerous that backcourt could be so many ways both can score and how tenacious there defense will be super pumped.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Don’t be embarrassed Nojel pretty big boy to say the least. Also nothing started about his shot he just need to make that 1st in game shot to get his Confidence up like Grady did. I’m super pumped about this season this team once they get some games under there belt they gonna have eyes on them. Yes that backcourt of Edwards and Eastern are gonna cause havoc for opposing teams backcourt. Both built like brick houses and both fast as lightning with long wing span 6”9 and 6”6 lots of steals I see coming. That fast break gave us a glimpse of what it’s gonna look like in transition. Scary to think how dangerous that backcourt could be so many ways both can score and how tenacious there defense will be super pumped.
It might be hard to defend this opinion now, but by the end of this season, Nojel and Carsen will be the best guard tandem in the BIG. I say that knowing there are a lot of very good guards in the BIG.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT