ADVERTISEMENT

Every journey begins with a step forward.

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
As I watched my son walk down the jetway to board a plane to take him to Quantico for 10 weeks of Marine Officer Candidate School, it hit me that every great journey starts with a simple step forward. The young man I knew would not be the same when he returns.

That is how I feel about this year's Boiler squad. Their journey to March success begins with a simple step on Tuesday night with a challenging but winnable game at IU.

The B10 season will be filled with challenges and I will watch them slug it through over the next 10 weeks much like a young Candidate working towards his Marine officer commission. Both, make me proud to be an American and Boilermaker, something that bestowed upon me by the Grace of God!

To all of you who are serving, or have served, in the military, THANK YOU for your sacrifice and service!!

Boiler Up!!

My two sons have served 5 tours in Iraq, 2 tours in Afghanistan and 1 tour across N. Africa. They are both SO DIFFERENT!!!. But I am damned proud of them both. One is retired now and one left the military and is now contracted to the military .

As I watched my son walk down the jetway to board a plane to take him to Quantico for 10 weeks of Marine Officer Candidate School, it hit me that every great journey starts with a simple step forward. The young man I knew would not be the same when he returns.

That is how I feel about this year's Boiler squad. Their journey to March success begins with a simple step on Tuesday night with a challenging but winnable game at IU.

The B10 season will be filled with challenges and I will watch them slug it through over the next 10 weeks much like a young Candidate working towards his Marine officer commission. Both, make me proud to be an American and Boilermaker, something that bestowed upon me by the Grace of God!

To all of you who are serving, or have served, in the military, THANK YOU for your sacrifice and service!!

Boiler Up!!
Best wishes and thanks to your son.

Reactions: Longboat Boiler
We each have our proud parent moments. My wife and I are retired Air Force officers. Our son decided to choose a different path. It doesn’t make us less proud of his life’s accomplishments.

Each day he gives 150% in serving and improving the abilities of others. And everyday he receives criticism. And people berating his efforts because he wasn’t perfect. His resume is impressive but many are never satisfied. My son is a college coach. And sometimes words are more painful than bullets.

Win or lose tonight, I have respect for both teams and both coaches. A coach is a person deserving of both respect and thanking for their service to others.

I appreciate your service to our great country. There are very few professions that have the level of commitment and sacrifice required by our military (police and fire fighters are second) as no other job asks one to lay down their life.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT