ADVERTISEMENT

Evansville's Powell practically begging for a Purdue offer

Feb 26, 2019
from the Indy Star.com today:
"
Evansville's Powell like Purdue
If there was an award for the “all-interview” team, Evansville Bosse’s 6-9 Kiyron Powell might make the list.

Powell, who is playing for the 17U Indy Heat, joked that he had his “offer from Purdue University” tweet saved as a draft. Powell, an intriguing prospect because of his shot-block ability and athleticism, has been recruited by Purdue but not yet offered.

“When (Purdue coach) Matt Painter is there, it is a special day,” Powell said. “When he was there I had a 20(-point) and 10(-rebound) game – my first 20 and 10 game ever. Obviously I think he is a good-luck charm.”

Powell has an offer list that includes Evansville, Creighton, Georgetown, Houston, Kansas State, Miami of Ohio, Middle Tennessee and New Orleans. He said an official visit to Creighton is likely to come soon, though he is not sure when.

What would change with a Purdue offer? Powell likes the offensive and defensive philosophies of Purdue and that “they do it as a team.”

“I feel like it’s coming,” he said. “They haven’t offered yet, so they feel like there is something I need to do. So I’m going to do that in order to get the offer. I don’t know what that is yet, but I’m going to find out.”

"
If there was an award for the “all-interview” team, Evansville Bosse’s 6-9 Kiyron Powell might make the list.

Powell, who is playing for the 17U Indy Heat, joked that he had his “offer from Purdue University” tweet saved as a draft. Powell, an intriguing prospect because of his shot-block ability and athleticism, has been recruited by Purdue but not yet offered.

“When (Purdue coach) Matt Painter is there, it is a special day,” Powell said. “When he was there I had a 20(-point) and 10(-rebound) game – my first 20 and 10 game ever. Obviously I think he is a good-luck charm.”

Powell has an offer list that includes Evansville, Creighton, Georgetown, Houston, Kansas State, Miami of Ohio, Middle Tennessee and New Orleans. He said an official visit to Creighton is likely to come soon, though he is not sure when.

What would change with a Purdue offer? Powell likes the offensive and defensive philosophies of Purdue and that “they do it as a team.”

“I feel like it’s coming,” he said. “They haven’t offered yet, so they feel like there is something I need to do. So I’m going to do that in order to get the offer. I don’t know what that is yet, but I’m going to find out.”
Sounds like THAT "could" be a shirt "IF" Purdue can land Hunter

"

I wish the very best for the kid, and that he gets his chance, but I'd remind him Matt Painter wanted to play for Bob Knight and that never came. But it worked out well for Coach P.

Sounds like THAT "could" be a shirt "IF" Purdue can land Hunter

I think Carlson and Hunter get “dibs”. But if those fall through, it’s Powell’s spot. Not sure why we stopped recruiting Loveday, but from what I can tell, Dickinson and Carlson are 1a and 1b. Powell seems to be a solid 2a, but Painter must feel he has a legit shot at landing 1a or 1b. When Powell gets that offer, that would be an indicator that Carlson and Dickinson have moved on in my opinion. I think Powell will be a very good get, but he is the least likely to have an immediate impact.

Because Nojel, Wheeler, and Haarms all have the potential to leave early, Painter is wanting guys that can step in immediately if they have to do so.

Edit: I would just like to point how nice it is to be picky and again comment how awesome it is to land plan a guys early. Let’s do more of that going forward. It just Eases my anxiety.

Last edited:
Like to hear he is going to work to get it. I have a good feeling about him. High risk, high reward. Then we go all in on Furst in 2021. We haven’t seen interest like this from Evansville kids in awhile. My Dad always mentioned the F Troop and Bob Ford was from there. I can’t think of any others.

Hoping Hunter and Carlson will decide soon but doubt it happens for a few months. We need to wait and see. If we have Hunter Dickinson and Eric Hunter, it will be confusing to know who scored on the radio. Hunter & Hunter following the law firm of Edwards & Edwards.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Like to hear he is going to work to get it. I have a good feeling about him. High risk, high reward. Then we go all in on Furst in 2021. We haven’t seen interest like this from Evansville kids in awhile. My Dad always mentioned the F Troop and Bob Ford was from there. I can’t think of any others.

Hoping Hunter and Carlson will decide soon but doubt it happens for a few months. We need to wait and see. If we have Hunter Dickinson and Eric Hunter, it will be confusing to know who scored on the radio. Hunter & Hunter following the law firm of Edwards & Edwards.

Matt Kiefer? and of course a guard named Robert Griese who turned out to be a helluva quarterback.

I think Carlson and Hunter get “dibs”. But if those fall through, it’s Powell’s spot. Not sure why we stopped recruiting Loveday, but from what I can tell, Dickinson and Carlson are 1a and 1b. Powell seems to be a solid 2a, but Painter must feel he has a legit shot at landing 1a or 1b. When Powell gets that offer, that would be an indicator that Carlson and Dickinson have moved on in my opinion. I think Powell will be a very good get, but he is the least likely to have an immediate impact.

Because Nojel, Wheeler, and Haarms all have the potential to leave early, Painter is wanting guys that can step in immediately if they have to do so.

Edit: I would just like to point how nice it is to be picky and again comment how awesome it is to land plan a guys early. Let’s do more of that going forward. It just Eases my anxiety.
Not sure that yesterday I never mixed up powell a bit with the kid that is going to nebraska. Powell has a good upside, but tonight showed a little raw still. What I like is that he seems a good kid, willing to do whatever, has great length adn can move. IF he shirted, with the attitude and potential he might be really good. Thing is Matt and his staff see these kids in sooooooo many places and has a lot more background that we can get...and if you ever scouted a team or a player more than once, you sometimes change your mind on things from your first viewing. Whatever Matt does, he will operate from a much better perspective that I could begin adn will be happy for whatever...

I think we wait to offer til after Lil Archie then listen to the whining when we snatch him away. The Morton commitment is causing some anguish in the crowd at the new Stye.

I think we wait to offer til after Lil Archie then listen to the whining when we snatch him away. The Morton commitment is causing some anguish in the crowd at the new Stye.

Yeh, was reading some of the iu forums. They're crapping all over themselves about losing Morton. It's funny to read.

Yeh, was reading some of the iu forums. They're crapping all over themselves about losing Morton. It's funny to read.
They have reverted to arguing about the 1940 and 1953 NCAA championships and why those are significant. Somehow that makes them feel a little better about the current situation. That and maybe they will recruit 3 other guys that are just as good. They didn't want Morton anyway. It hurts when your rival rips away a kid your school has been all out trying to recruit. Last year it was D. Anderson for us. I understand the pain.

Somebody called Monkey Pox keeps posting the Purdue is not a sports school. Then Jimbo and JimmygoIU tell any Purdue posters to go home when they attempt to post in a thread about Purdue. It's like a grade school yelling match over there. There are some hurt feelings, on top of a creeping doubt about coach Archie. It adds up to a hostile fan base.

Maybe Pox should sit down and count the P's and I's on the old Oaken Bucket before he gets too far down that road that Purdue is not a sports school.

Reactions: OhioBoiler51
They have reverted to arguing about the 1940 and 1953 NCAA championships and why those are significant. Somehow that makes them feel a little better about the current situation. That and maybe they will recruit 3 other guys that are just as good. They didn't want Morton anyway. It hurts when your rival rips away a kid your school has been all out trying to recruit. Last year it was D. Anderson for us. I understand the pain.

Somebody called Monkey Pox keeps posting the Purdue is not a sports school. Then Jimbo and JimmygoIU tell any Purdue posters to go home when they attempt to post in a thread about Purdue. It's like a grade school yelling match over there. There are some hurt feelings, on top of a creeping doubt about coach Archie. It adds up to a hostile fan base.

Maybe Pox should sit down and count the P's and I's on the old Oaken Bucket before he gets too far down that road that Purdue is not a sports school.

They also keeping responding to Purdue fans who post there (I can't, lifetime ban) that they consistently out-recruit Purdue. What they can't quite seem to figure out is that despite iu's recruits having more stars, they can't figure out how to beat Purdue on the court.
It's getting funny because Painter seems to be capitalizing and landing some nice recruits and in football, iu won't sniff the Bucket again for a very long time.
But hey, they've got a solid soccer team (I think?.....)

They also keeping responding to Purdue fans who post there (I can't, lifetime ban) that they consistently out-recruit Purdue. What they can't quite seem to figure out is that despite iu's recruits having more stars, they can't figure out how to beat Purdue on the court.
It's getting funny because Painter seems to be capitalizing and landing some nice recruits and in football, iu won't sniff the Bucket again for a very long time.
You can't get banned for life....there's too many brand new usernames to be had for free. You know, like Victor Bear and others.

"losing" Morton? He was theirs and they lost him...interesting read no doubt

Exactly. They can have their higher ranked classes, I’ll take the wins. It’s like Dakich said awhile back, IU wins the press conference, Purdue wins on the court. Basically meaning IU gets all the hype and pub for their recruits but Boilers and Painter go out and get guys that fit and want the team to succeed. That and damn good coaching

And the
There has always been more fan interest in women's college volleyball than in men's college soccer. But don't crush their final shot at being "relevant".

I know he'd love to play for Purdue. but what's the interest level from the Purdue side ? I know about Dickenson and Carlson being 1a and 1 b. But would Powell actually be Purdue's third choice ? or would Purdue look in a different direction at a different position? or to a different player ? such as a former Michigan commit?

I know he'd love to play for Purdue. but what's the interest level from the Purdue side ? I know about Dickenson and Carlson being 1a and 1 b. But would Powell actually be Purdue's third choice ? or would Purdue look in a different direction at a different position? or to a different player ? such as a former Michigan commit?
Michigan kid - Jalen Wilson - is a 2019 commit where as Powell is 2020.

I think Powell is someone Painter and staff have some interest in and he obviously sees him frequently because he plays with Jaden. I have to believe Painter knows Powell would say yes right away if offered so by offering he basically gives up on Dickinson and Carlson.

High stakes poker at this point. Painter has a hot hand and will use it to push on Dickinson and Carlson. IMO.

I think Powell is someone Painter and staff have some interest in and he obviously sees him frequently because he plays with Jaden. I have to believe Painter knows Powell would say yes right away if offered so by offering he basically gives up on Dickinson and Carlson.

High stakes poker at this point. Painter has a hot hand and will use it to push on Dickinson and Carlson. IMO.
Bingo

gambler.jpg

Exactly. They can have their higher ranked classes, I’ll take the wins. It’s like Dakich said awhile back, IU wins the press conference, Purdue wins on the court. Basically meaning IU gets all the hype and pub for their recruits but Boilers and Painter go out and get guys that fit and want the team to succeed. That and damn good coaching
Dakich also said a lot of the guys giving the ratings (like 4 star) never coached and never played college ball. It's why some players underachieve and some overachieve. The coaches have a much better idea of who is a good player for their system.

Dickinson, Carlson, or Powell, how can we lose? Any of these kids would be a great addition to the boilermakers. The Powell kid is talked about as having a strong upside, so even though he might be considered as choice 1c, he may well turn out to be a BIG level starter.

Dickinson, Carlson, or Powell, how can we lose? Any of these kids would be a great addition to the boilermakers. The Powell kid is talked about as having a strong upside, so even though he might be considered as choice 1c, he may well turn out to be a BIG level starter.
So if the kid wants Purdue, offer him a preferred walk-on with the promise of a scholly the next year. You then keep the other options. And in state tuition is reasonable.

As Painter has said ... it's the Juniors and Seniors that win tournaments. A guess is we'd be looking to replace Dickinson soon and probably Carlson. I know, who'd ever turn down a 5-star. But a 5-star as a freshman then poof gone is not as valuable as a 4-start frosh with three more years of 5-star play!

As Painter has said ... it's the Juniors and Seniors that win tournaments. A guess is we'd be looking to replace Dickinson soon and probably Carlson. I know, who'd ever turn down a 5-star. But a 5-star as a freshman then poof gone is not as valuable as a 4-start frosh with three more years of 5-star play!

Based upon his level of coordination at this point in his development, I don't think Dickinson will leave earlier than his jr year. He's almost certainly not a 1&done.

good, much better then

Granted, this opinion is based upon only watching him a few times on film, and once in person. Who knows, he could come in and set the woods on fire, but there isn't a demanding market for traditional bigs in the NBA at this point.

You seem to forget if a player leaves after one year, to consider his replacement for the next 3 years! It's possible like Duke that you could end up with 4 years of a 5 star recruit rather than just 1 .

Look at Carsen. The overall process has 3 years of Carsen and 1 year of Proctor. It's not like it's 3 years of Carsen and then nothing for the remaining year.

IU had one year of Langford but for the next 3 years will fill his scholarship with somebody half way decent!

You seem to forget if a player leaves after one year, to consider his replacement for the next 3 years! It's possible like Duke that you could end up with 4 years of a 5 star recruit rather than just 1 .

Look at Carsen. The overall process has 3 years of Carsen and 1 year of Proctor. It's not like it's 3 years of Carsen and then nothing for the remaining year.

IU had one year of Langford but for the next 3 years will fill his scholarship with somebody half way decent!l
I get what you are saying. 4 years of a 5-star is nice, but the real story is 4 years of a talented but inexperienced freshman, who never gets into the grove with his teammates. Not a fan. It's the UK model, which only works with what I would call a world beater player, like Derrick Rose, etc. Even mighty coach K couldn't get his team to play well enough to get past the elite eight. Zion and the other two freshmen 5-star clowns couldn't get it together.

Duke did come mighty close to getting it done! It's not like they lost in the first round. And while they didn't win, with a couple of breaks, this year's winner could have been a totally different team. I'm not convinced Virginia was the best team in the NCAA this year.

Duke did come mighty close to getting it done! It's not like they lost in the first round. And while they didn't win, with a couple of breaks, this year's winner could have been a totally different team. I'm not convinced Virginia was the best team in the NCAA this year.
I do agree with you. I will add that we came the closest to beating Virgina of any team they played. One bounce of the ball and we are in the FF, and maybe NCAA champs. Damn close.

A question to ask. How many 5 star recruits actually become one and done players? And what is their average college career length? If you could sign a 5 star recruit and keep him for 2-4 years, would you not want to recruit him?

As for one and done, I believe in many cases, a coach has a good feel of the players intentions when recruiting him. We all kind of knew Langford was going to be a one and done. But I actually thought JJJ might have thought about staying in college for 2 years. Many thought Biggie might stay for 3 years.

My thoughts in summary would be not all 5 star recruits are one and dones. And we shouldn't let that possibility scare us off from recruiting them.

A question to ask. How many 5 star recruits actually become one and done players? And what is their average college career length? If you could sign a 5 star recruit and keep him for 2-4 years, would you not want to recruit him?

As for one and done, I believe in many cases, a coach has a good feel of the players intentions when recruiting him. We all kind of knew Langford was going to be a one and done. But I actually thought JJJ might have thought about staying in college for 2 years. Many thought Biggie might stay for 3 years.

My thoughts in summary would be not all 5 star recruits are one and dones. And we shouldn't let that possibility scare us off from recruiting them.
I agree with this post and would recruit any five star that looked to stay 2 or more years. I didn't agree with your previous post suggesting 4 years of 4 different players. I was very specific about that difference.

I agree with this post and would recruit any five star that looked to stay 2 or more years. I didn't agree with your previous post suggesting 4 years of 4 different players. I was very specific about that difference.

I fully respect disagreements of opinions! And I respect the right of people to differ with one another.

In order for having four different players filling that one scholarship on different year, I will admit those 4 different players must be head and shoulders above the rest of the NCAA in order to start and star as a freshman. It would work if all 4 players were like Zion. But the odds of that happening even at Duke are very rare.

But if you have a chance to sign a player like Zion, I say you go for it. Because you could have 1 year of him followed by 3 years of somebody who may be an elite 4 star player.

Something that isn't talked about much is by virtue of having a one and done on your team, it may enhance your team's ability to recruit those elite 4 star players who may stay 3-4 years. Isn't that what Biggie and JJJ did?

Reactions: Boilermaker24
But Duke also came within a referee's call of losing in the Sweet Sixteen. That's the round they got their breaks. They had dominant talent but not a dominant team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT