ADVERTISEMENT

Braden Smith / Magic Johnson

According to IndyStar article, only 2 players in Big Ten history have
more than 350 points, 200 assists, 150 rebounds, and 40 steals in one season.

Wow. Nice. Hope we can keep him 4 years. He is the driver for our team. When people say how our team is different from last year, Smith (as well as Jones) are the biggest reasons.

Last edited:
Yep. He is gonna have to step it up even more next year with all of the freshman we will have to play.
He'll be an upperclassmen. To be expected to step it up even more.
Still, Smith, Loyer, Heide/Colvin, TKR, Furst I expect will be our first lineup. Berg probably back up 5. Thats 7 of the 8 if it's a tight rotation. 9 maybe. I guess how good they are will determine, but i wouldn't expect more than 2 to be in the rotation.
I've not seen a single one of the incoming class play in person, so I have no clue how much of the mega hype going around here to believe.

I know it would take a miracle but with this incoming talent there is a possibility Loyer doesn’t start by the beginning of the Big Ten season - insert Harris - and I don’t think Furst will still be here. Not sure how Catchings doesn’t get a ton of playing time so we will have many good problems to solve!

I know it would take a miracle but with this incoming talent there is a possibility Loyer doesn’t start by the beginning of the Big Ten season - insert Harris - and I don’t think Furst will still be here. Not sure how Catchings doesn’t get a ton of playing time so we will have many good problems to solve!

True, CMP loves him some Loyer. And he is pretty solid offensively.....streaky shot not withstanding.

But assuming they can D it up as reported, if someone doesn't supplant Loyer by Jan 1 will surprise me, as Loyer is below average on D.

Maybe I am optimistic but I think these recruits are as advertised, & I look for 3 new starters @ the 2, 3 and the 4.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
$20 says Caleb graduates from Purdue.

True, CMP loves him some Loyer. And he is pretty solid offensively.....streaky shot not withstanding.

But assuming they can D it up as reported, if someone doesn't supplant Loyer by Jan 1 will surprise me, as Loyer is below average on D.

Maybe I am optimistic but I think these recruits are as advertised, & I look for 3 new starters @ the 2, 3 and the 4.
Wow, count me as doubtful that CMP has 3 new starters, barring injuries. His loyal history says otherwise.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Yep. He is gonna have to step it up even more next year with all of the freshman we will have to play.
He will be even better next year. Our rotation will be something of the combo of Smith, Loyer, Colvin, Heide, TKR, Furst, Berg, Catchings, Harris, and maybe burgess and Jacobsen…

I think the only Frosh who see major mins will be Catchings and Harris. I’m thinking 2 or 3 out of Benter, Cox, Burgess and Jacobsen Redshirt.

Reactions: Do Dah Day

I d say Loyer starts but doesn’t see AS many mins and may not close games as much. Or we see more offense for defense in late games. Doesn’t really matter who starts but who closes.

I agree, it won’t be surprised if Loyer becomes a sixth man type guy coming off of the bench. There’s a lot of talent surrounding him and they’ll be nipping at his heels. That is unless he adds some muscle and his D improves along with consistency in games.

Well we need at least one guy to transfer and my guess is him - I think he’s the most obvious candidate outside of Waddell but Painter obviously played with his dad - I could be wrong

This day in age everyone is a candidate. But how is Berg not the leader in the clubhouse for our for sure known transfer?

Wow. Nice. Hope we can keep him 4 years. He is the driver for our team. When people say how our team is different from last year, Smith (as well as Jones) are the biggest reasons.
No chance! leaks are happening Sam King Lafayette Journal and Courier Tweeted a scout/player/and coach with 40 years in the NBA says he is NBA ready. I mean he's a Naismith and Oscar Robinson finalists. I hope I am wrong, but all signs say no way he stays 4 years.

• Sad
No chance! leaks are happening Sam King Lafayette Journal and Courier Tweeted a scout/player/and coach with 40 years in the NBA says he is NBA ready. I mean he's a Naismith and Oscar Robinson finalists. I hope I am wrong, but all signs say no way he stays 4 years.

Will be sad to see him go early. He is a joy to watch and the catalyst for the Purdue team.

Can't imagine how bad next year's team would be without him driving and organizing them. Not that they won't be talented, but their youth need Smith as a stabilizer.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Well we need at least one guy to transfer and my guess is him - I think he’s the most obvious candidate outside of Waddell but Painter obviously played with his dad - I could be wrong
You're looking at it as Matt cutting a kid. I"m guessing he just wants to play and sees the handwriting on the wall with Heide and Colvin ahead of him at this point and more talent there coming in. I don't mean to rumor, but Waddell seems the likely candidate from the early heads up. Furst will likely start or play close to starter minutes.
Big opportunity difference.

I agree but that’s why I was thinking Furst would want to go somewhere else and get the most minutes possible his Senior season.

What if Furst and Waddell decided to move on and Gillis stays for his Covid year? I guess that’s a possibility that could also happen.

Interesting if true. I mean if he goes nuts in our championship run his stock would skyrocket. Same for Edey too although Edey's going to be drafted regardless.

Smith is really good. It will be interesting to watch him without Edey, though. Edey opens up so many driving lanes and shooting looks.

He will be even better next year. Our rotation will be something of the combo of Smith, Loyer, Colvin, Heide, TKR, Furst, Berg, Catchings, Harris, and maybe burgess and Jacobsen…

I think the only Frosh who see major mins will be Catchings and Harris. I’m thinking 2 or 3 out of Benter, Cox, Burgess and Jacobsen Redshirt.
I agree with your entire post. Cox will RS, as will Burgess

Well I looked up Skiles. Actually very similar to Braden. 6’-1” so similar height. Led plymouth to a state championship, I believe lead msu to a championship, played and coached in nba and had a game with 30 assists (record?), and extremely competitive. So Braden could have a shot. I remember watching Skiles and like Braden you couldn’t believe what you were seeing at times.

I remember the "go to jail skiles" chants and the band playing cocaine I was like 15 or 16 it was a fun game I think his senior year

He may be gone after next year but all depends on where he’s being told where he will get drafted. If it’s second round he will/should be back to improve that for his senior year.

Well I looked up Skiles. Actually very similar to Braden. 6’-1” so similar height. Led plymouth to a state championship, I believe lead msu to a championship, played and coached in nba and had a game with 30 assists (record?), and extremely competitive. So Braden could have a shot. I remember watching Skiles and like Braden you couldn’t believe what you were seeing at times.
There were a couple of us that listed Skiles as a comparison in the past, but most listed the little guard at OSU a few years ago as the comp. Skiles as always been my thought...

I think that Purdue might go up tempo next season. It could play to Smith’s strengths nicely.
Going to be a smaller, faster team for sure. Sure plays to Furst and TKR's skill set I think. Colvin and Heide? I think so.
He's still going to have a LOT of shooters to feed and NOT one single guy that everyone is focused on. His job MIGHT get easier with 4 equal scoring threats.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
There were a couple of us that listed Skiles as a comparison in the past, but most listed the little guard at OSU a few years ago as the comp. Skiles as always been my thought...

Aaron Craft. Better defensively right now than Braden Smith, IMO.....but BS is well ahead of him offensively. Smitty was very good last night defending Walker on/off ball.....especially in the second half. That Michigan State team's effort with a little more consistency could be a handful......looks like they're projected on the 9 line in the NCAA.

Skiles could be a beast in his own way and is another whole step up IMHO.....but no reason Braden Smith couldn't get in that ballpark. Plus, the NBA is a constantly evolving projection, but I do not follow it nearly as closely as back in the day.

Last edited:
yes, the chunky looking slow white guy has the all time assist record for a single game.
30 is just mind blowing. The kid was a Magic Johnson level passer. AND drop dead shooter that just KILLED the BOilers in his time at MSU.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Another MSU point guard that comes to mind is Cassius Winston. I feel like Smith is on a similar trajectory. Winston wasn’t the rebounder that Smith is, but he comes to mind because he had great vision and was great at running an offense and, like Smith, was a great shooter off the dribble. He emerged into a bigger scorer in his last two years and I think that Smith could do the same.

I agree on 2 shirts next year. The two bigs would make the most sense assuming everyone comes back minus edey. There won't be enough minutes and we need to balance it some. There's potential for a 3rd imo. Benter maybe but that's alot of shirts.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Jay Burson?
No I remember Jay and his injury. I'll look it up, but it was the most frequent comparison even though I thought Scott was MUCH more accurate. Aaron Craft was the comparison for a LOT of people. I just didn't see that at all

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT