ADVERTISEMENT

Early thoughts on most improved player from last year ? and best freshman?

Bleedinggoldandblack

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 15, 2012
The Watchtower
While I want to lean on Colvin , just not sure , so going with Heide, he plays both ends of the court.

Freshman, don't know at all , so I'll go with Harris.

I'm going with TKR. With him playing alongside Zach his opportunities were few so while maybe not an "improvement" per se, based on some things we've seen he might just explode. My other is Smith in regards to scoring only (he does other things well enough).

For the frosh, hard to say... I'll go with DJ as I honestly haven't seen/heard much on the others compared to him.

Statistically I’m going with TKR. He might have already been there with some of the anecdotal evidence last year. Optically I’m going with Heide he showed flashes and was ready to blow up. And systematically going with Colvin as he gets another year in of defensive assignments, running plays, switches, etc.

Reactions: Schnelk and BBG
TKR. All B10 top 2nd or 3rd team.

Changed to Harris. Think he might get more minutes than DJ?

Not chosing Loyer was tough, but thought he was All B10 honorable mention last year? Would have to be a first teamer for a huge jump. 3rd teamer.....would be my guess?

Last edited:
Reactions: oldboiler52
Most Improved - Colvin
Best Freshman - Harris

The fact they are fighting for the same minutes means I'm probably wrong, or this team will be really good if Im right and they both have big years.

I was torn between Fletch and Trey but am going with Trey because I think he'll consistently see heavy usage. What do you expect to see from Fletch this year to land him as most improved?
I expect to see him be more of factor all over the court. For his body to catch up (somewhat) with his experience and high basketball IQ (yep, I said it).
lastly I think his X factor potentially gives this team the highest ceiling.
Not more important than TKR, but I already expect "big things" from Trey. And I expect Myles and Cam to take the steps many of us believe they can. Braden is the MAN, but we all have high expectations for him.
If Fletch can become that "go to" guy EVEN THOUGH OPPORTUNITIES WILL BE SPREAD AROUND, this team can be really good.
I don't want him taking all the last shots, I want all our guys fighting for the glory times. But I want other teams focusing on him and Braden, opening up really good looks for everyone else.
And when it's not, he sticks the dagger.
Mostly I expect him to take that BIG step and become the upperclassmen leader that so many before him have .
it's in him.

I expect to see him be more of factor all over the court. For his body to catch up (somewhat) with his experience and high basketball IQ (yep, I said it).
lastly I think his X factor potentially gives this team the highest ceiling.
Not more important than TKR, but I already expect "big things" from Trey. And I expect Myles and Cam to take the steps many of us believe they can. Braden is the MAN, but we all have high expectations for him.
If Fletch can become that "go to" guy EVEN THOUGH OPPORTUNITIES WILL BE SPREAD AROUND, this team can be really good.
I don't want him taking all the last shots, I want all our guys fighting for the glory times. But I want other teams focusing on him and Braden, opening up really good looks for everyone else.
And when it's not, he sticks the dagger.
Mostly I expect him to take that BIG step and become the upperclassmen leader that so many before him have .
it's in him.
Are you saying his basketball IQ is only at a high school level?

And are you also saying he’s not a leader already?

Tkr as most improved. Jacobson as best freshman. I’ve said for 3 months that Jacobson will start. I’m not going to change my opinion until they actually play.

There just seems too big of a log jam at guard for Harris or Myles or Heide to shine.

Reactions: northside100
Tkr as most improved. Jacobson as best freshman. I’ve said for 3 months that Jacobson will start. I’m not going to change my opinion until they actually play.

There just seems too big of a log jam at guard for Harris or Myles or Heide to shine.
So is Heide a guard?

Cuz it says on the website he’s a forward…which I continue to reply to you over the last 7 months, that he plays the 3.

So if Heide, Colvin or Harris don’t shine…who’s playing the 3?

Reactions: Old Gold n Black
So is Heide a guard?

Cuz it says on the website he’s a forward…which I continue to reply to you over the last 7 months, that he plays the 3.

For sure. Heide and Colvin will both spend a lot of time at the 3. This is the first time in a while that we've had not one, but two athletic wings who can both slash and shoot the rock.

That said, I presume in certain situations we might see Colvin at the 2 and Heide at the 4. Both guys are versatile. Really looking forward to this season!

So is Heide a guard?

Many posters here who you actually respect have said Heide would compete for playing time at the 4 and not the 3.

Sure argue with me. But in doing so, you are also arguing with almost half of the posters here.

If you say Heide is going to play the 3 that would mean he’s going to compete with Harris, cox, Myles and Bennett. Do you believe he’s going to actually start at the 3? I don’t!

I see Heide much like Berg! They both have a lot of fans here. But I don’t see either player having a starting role for Purdue! I can’t see Heidi beating out either Harris or Myles.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
When you come off the bench, you play multiple positions. But what position should you actual label a player? Do you label a player by the position he plays the most? Or the position he is best suited to play?

Were Mathias and Cline a 3? Or were they shooting guards playing the 3? Is Furst a center or is he a 4?

What position did Gillis play at Purdue? Do you say the 4? If you say the 4, then what position was his natural position? While Gillis played the 4 at Purdue, I will never call him a 4.

So what position would I call Heide? I’d call him a 3. But the question is what position did he play the majority of his minutes at last year? And what position will he play this year?

And if Heide doesn’t start, does it really matter what position you label as?

What position is Harris? Is he a 1,2 or 3? He can play all three positions. What position will he play at Purdue? If he starts at the 3 for Purdue his freshman year, is he considered a 3 or do you consider him as a 2? For me personally, even if Harris starts at the 3 for Purdue, I would still consider him as a 2 playing out of position for the good of the team!

So I ask, again, do you really consider Mathias and cline a 3? Call them what you want. Nothing I say will change your mind or perception.

So what is HEIDE? Call him anything you want. What position did he play last year? I call him a role player! Role players don’t have positions.

fail-toss.gif

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
Many posters here who you actually respect have said Heide would compete for playing time at the 4 and not the 3.

Sure argue with me. But in doing so, you are also arguing with almost half of the posters here.

If you say Heide is going to play the 3 that would mean he’s going to compete with Harris, cox, Myles and Bennett. Do you believe he’s going to actually start at the 3? I don’t!

I see Heide much like Berg! They both have a lot of fans here. But I don’t see either player having a starting role for Purdue! I can’t see Heidi beating out either Harris or Myles.
It’s been reported paint has said Heide is currently the starting 4. A 4 still isn’t a guard lol.

When you come off the bench, you play multiple positions. But what position should you actual label a player? Do you label a player by the position he plays the most? Or the position he is best suited to play?

Were Mathias and Cline a 3? Or were they shooting guards playing the 3? Is Furst a center or is he a 4?

What position did Gillis play at Purdue? Do you say the 4? If you say the 4, then what position was his natural position? While Gillis played the 4 at Purdue, I will never call him a 4.

So what position would I call Heide? I’d call him a 3. But the question is what position did he play the majority of his minutes at last year? And what position will he play this year?

What position is Harris? Is he a 1,2 or 3? He can play all three positions. What position will he play at Purdue? If he starts at the 3 for Purdue his freshman year, is he considered a 3 or do you consider him as a 2? For me personally, even if Harris starts at the 3 for Purdue, I would still consider him as a 2 playing out of position for the good of the team!

So I ask, again, do you really consider Mathias and cline a 3? Call them what you want. Nothing I say will change your mind or perception.

So what is HEIDE? Call him anything you want. What position did he play last year? I call him a role player! Role players don’t have positions.
he mostly played the 4 last year. With our offense the numbers are somewhat irrelevant. Often guys are a 3 or even 4 on defense but 1 on offense. Defensive assignments are matchup driven. Offensively we have a lot of motion and run a lot of sets. You are obsessed with labeling our players and discount role players.

With few exceptions most of our players are interchangeable. Heck we had 3 “1’s” on the court together at times last year in Jones, Braden, and Morton. Furst and TKR changed around and even Gillis played some “5”. Are they all role players? Stop hating on Heide. And stop being a troll.

Reactions: Schnelk
For sure. Heide and Colvin will both spend a lot of time at the 3. This is the first time in a while that we've had not one, but two athletic wings who can both slash and shoot the rock.

That said, I presume in certain situations we might see Colvin at the 2 and Heide at the 4. Both guys are versatile. Really looking forward to this season!
Yeah I agree. Wole just somehow doesn’t understand Heide is a 3 and has been a 3 the last 2 years. He has to be trolling with his latest posts.

This makes absolutely no sense.

Adam Sandler GIF by IFC

I’m going with Furst, let’s be honest, he struggled last year in limited minutes. I think a big reason for his struggles was that he felt he needed to make an impact because his minutes were limited, he’ll be more relaxed this year and have a nice Sr season.

I will take Colvin and Benter. Colvin will start at the 3 and Jack is capable of playing 1-4. We have a ton of options I might miss on Jack but not Myles. I read all of the predictions, and I could see almost any of them being correct. This season is loaded with challenges we will need each and every one of those options.

I will take Colvin and Benter. Colvin will start at the 3 and Jack is capable of playing 1-4. We have a ton of options I might miss on Jack but not Myles. I read all of the predictions, and I could see almost any of them being correct. This season is loaded with challenges we will need each and every one of those options.

Be cool if that was the case. Love to see the unexpected come from Benter. One thing for sure he is going to put pressure on the D. Love guys that are dead eye shooters.

Many are saying Heide starts @ 3. Not sure who has a better handle and perhaps more importantly will have less TOs @ the position, but both are outstanding shooters. Whomever it is -- added production out of the 3 would be more than welcome. So a big jump by Colvin would be cool for fans & team alike.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldboiler52
I like the longshot bet on Benter, I'll give you 15:1 odds ;)

Colvin is a good call. Even if he doesn't put up big stats he could be the most improved if he continues improving his defense and rebounding. He'll hit open shots and get out in transition, he needs to keep himself on the court by making those other areas a strength.

Yeah I agree. Wole just somehow doesn’t understand Heide is a 3 and has been a 3 the last 2 years. He has to be trolling with his latest posts.
Not defending Bigs, but what does it matter what you label them as long as they play and contribute. I don't care if you want to label Edey a 1 and Smith a 5 as long as they do what they do. I'm guessing no opposing coach game plans based on the assigned position numbers.

While I want to lean on Colvin , just not sure , so going with Heide, he plays both ends of the court.

Freshman, don't know at all , so I'll go with Harris.
Colvin. We will need scoring and he is best equipped based on position needs to get plugged in and help immediately vs his role last year. I agree on harris as well. Like colvin, there will be minutes available based on the roster. He's physically ready to play and by all accounts is willing to stick his nose in on defense....Painters kind of player. Doesn't mean one of the other freshman won't end up a being dominant down the road but we are only talking about next season

Reactions: Roeder

Cox is not a forward.

Bennett?

Not defending Bigs, but what does it matter what you label them as long as they play and contribute. I don't care if you want to label Edey a 1 and Smith a 5 as long as they do what they do. I'm guessing no opposing coach game plans based on the assigned position numbers.
Agreed. He is obsessed with labeling players and their positions as well as them being upset if they don’t start.

Ok I’ll be the contrarian for today. I will go with Berg and Cox.
Berg will play valuable minutes where he contributes and makes the most of his playing time but not likely start. I say he will cut into the minutes many are are anticipating DJ to get. Plays 10-12 minutes a game which is big improvement from last season.
Cox from what little I have heard has caught on well and is a well rounded complete player. He’s got a quick release and seeks his shot with good results. Does a good job of playing D.
Just wanted to throw out a different take.

Berg will play valuable minutes where he contributes and makes the most of his playing time but not likely start. I say he will cut into the minutes many are are anticipating DJ to get. Plays 10-12 minutes a game which is big improvement from last season.
Cox from what little I have heard has caught on well and is a well rounded complete player. He’s got a quick release and seeks his shot with good results. Does a good job of playing D.
Cox apparently has a great mid range and is a dawg…potentially another great painter find. Great to have him and Gicarri join the backcourt…excited to see how Benter fits too (either this year or next).

I'd be happy to see either Will or DJ carve out a productive role. Agree that Will is likely being overlooked by many because of the hype the DJ generated on the U18 USAB team, particularly on the defensive end. One of those two seems likely to play meaningful minutes and as someone else posted, against bigger lineups such as IU's, it wouldn't be surprising to see both play if someone like Ballo is playing 25 to 30 minutes for the opponent.

Cox seems like as solid of a call as any as an impact freshman.

I'd be happy to see either Will or DJ carve out a productive role. Agree that Will is likely being overlooked by many because of the hype the DJ generated on the U18 USAB team, particularly on the defensive end. One of those two seems likely to play meaningful minutes and as someone else posted, against bigger lineups such as IU's, it wouldn't be surprising to see both play if someone like Ballo is playing 25 to 30 minutes for the opponent.

Cox seems like as solid of a call as any as an impact freshman.
What’s crazy is Ballo is listed at 7 ft…but actually is 6’10…so he’s only an inch taller than TKR…but does have the edge on weighing 30 lbs more

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT