ADVERTISEMENT

Did I Hear the BIG Guys Right?

Yup, they did.
Heard it, too.

Gotta come up with a catchy phrase name for Grady..
Now that we have Beastern, Big Cat, Haarms-way, Boogie..

Boiler Up!

Reactions: mathboy
Yup, they did.
Heard it, too.

Gotta come up with a catchy phrase name for Grady..
Now that we have Beastern, Big Cat, Haarms-way, Boogie..

Boiler Up!

If you listen to his Boiler Ball Podcast interview a few weeks ago he said his childhood nickname was Grade A Beef. Kind of weird, but somehow it fits.

As a side note I highly recommend that episode if you have the time. It will make you appreciate what Grady is doing this year even more. His Freshman year he was basically a practice dummy for Hammons, Haas, and Biggie. It's sweet he is finally seeing the floor and having success his Sr. year.

“ True Grit”? The Duke would be proud....

an all-time great movie, BGal......

tenor.gif

They said Grady Eifert is the second most efficient offensive player in college basketball according to KenPoms. Let's not restart the Grady love-him/don't-love-him debate. I just want to know if that was what they said in the post game wrap up.

A big part of it is he just doesn't turn the ball over.

Grady has 15 turnovers over the entire season of 28 games.

This is also heavily why we as a team are so high in offensive efficiency.

They said Grady Eifert is the second most efficient offensive player in college basketball according to KenPoms. Let's not restart the Grady love-him/don't-love-him debate. I just want to know if that was what they said in the post game wrap up.
Sometimes you don't get to see what a player can do right now. I know a few have thought Grady was a big plus all year. I've seen many of the things that he does for a team and such, but the last two games have shown be just how much court awareness he has. I'm not talking about doubling, helping others whether on D or O and being the ultimate teammate. What I have seen is an uncanny awareness of where everyone is in a split second..whether it is scoring quick, saving balls...or trying to save balls and as he is falling out of bounds change his decision on whether to make the initial pass or not.

But wait people on this forum told me Grady sucks and shouldn't even be on a B1G team??

I did think Wheeler would progress enough to take the starting minutes but he clearly has not. I mean like the GBI article said, where would we be with our Grady?

Sometimes you don't get to see what a player can do right now. I know a few have thought Grady was a big plus all year. I've seen many of the things that he does for a team and such, but the last two games have shown be just how much court awareness he has. I'm not talking about doubling, helping others whether on D or O and being the ultimate teammate. What I have seen is an uncanny awareness of where everyone is in a split second..whether it is scoring quick, saving balls...or trying to save balls and as he is falling out of bounds change his decision on whether to make the initial pass or not.

If you watched closely, there's been examples of this all season. His awareness and understanding of what's developing is uncanny.

If you watched closely, there's been examples of this all season. His awareness and understanding of what's developing is uncanny.
I've seen his awareness and tried to draw that distinction in what I typed, but apparently never did that very well. I'm talking about split second decisions, not awareness on the whole. He showed me some things the last two games, where in less than a second he takes in what was there and changes it due to his body position, court position and what is going on on the court. I'm not talking about diving on the court and getting the ball and giving it to another...I'm talking split second processing that changes n a split second AS the situation changes during that split second in combination with his body positioning and strength was altered changing what was a good play into now not being a play.

Grady has always been aware and made good decisions. The last two games have shown me more as far as the decision making process timing. Hell, I could see GRady and Cline having major improvement during the first intra squad scrimmage

I've seen his awareness and tried to draw that distinction in what I typed, but apparently never did that very well. I'm talking about split second decisions, not awareness on the whole. He showed me some things the last two games, where in less than a second he takes in what was there and changes it due to his body position, court position and what is going on on the court. I'm not talking about diving on the court and getting the ball and giving it to another...I'm talking split second processing that changes n a split second AS the situation changes during that split second in combination with his body positioning and strength was altered changing what was a good play into now not being a play.

Grady has always been aware and made good decisions. The last two games have shown me more as far as the decision making process timing. Hell, I could see GRady and Cline having major improvement during the first intra squad scrimmage
What I also find interesting is that when he is off the floor we play worse it seems. I can recall several games here recently where he was not on the floor, the opposing team would make a run, he'd come back on the floor and we'd make a run and then pull away.

Painter's system seems to run exceptionally well when he has one of those "glue guys" as it were. I loved Crispins comments about Painter too and how good of a coach he is.

Reactions: BoilerGal74
What I also find interesting is that when he is off the floor we play worse it seems. I can recall several games here recently where he was not on the floor, the opposing team would make a run, he'd come back on the floor and we'd make a run and then pull away.

Painter's system seems to run exceptionally well when he has one of those "glue guys" as it were. I loved Crispins comments about Painter too and how good of a coach he is.
I was at the game and haven't got to hear anything YET. Besides GRady's two buckets two games ago and his saves under the basket and such he was running to save a ball at half court and ready to heave it down the court as a boiler was streaking and in that split second as he is falling out of bounds a defender made a move to cover up that pass...mostly due to the strength available to GRady at that moment and he pulled it back while still falling out of bounds to try and prevent that turnover and go to another option. There were a couple of things that impressed me with his awareness of the situation changing in a split second and him only having a split second before he was out of bounds...but I'm tired and that game right now I haven't watched again

Welcome aboard. His efficiency is the second best so he has a higher goal to reach for.

I sang his praises, was laughed at, ridiculed, and told he was not good enough. And I said, "I'd take a team full of him."

They actually said “in the Kenpom era”. So it isn’t second most efficient this season, it is second most efficient since Kenpom began.

But wait people on this forum told me Grady sucks and shouldn't even be on a B1G team??

I did think Wheeler would progress enough to take the starting minutes but he clearly has not. I mean like the GBI article said, where would we be with our Grady?
Or Wheeler has progressed and can't get in front of Eifert's steady improvement with more playing time as well. I think both would start at their fair share of other B1G schools outside of Maryland, MSU, UM, and Iowa this season.

Or Wheeler has progressed and can't get in front of Eifert's steady improvement with more playing time as well. I think both would start at their fair share of other B1G schools outside of Maryland, MSU, UM, and Iowa this season.
I think that's it, actually. Grady has really stepped it up this season. He was always a hustler and will continue to wear that as a badge of honor, but now he's also making big plays, athletic ones most wouldn't necessarily have expected from him. I'm not sure if this is what the coaches saw in practice all along and it just took time to manifest in game action, or if he's actually taken his abilities to a new level. Either way, he's earned his place as a starter.

I thought it was interesting that his old HS team gives an award after practice for extra effort called the GRADY. If somebody dives for a ball or does something else a little extra everybody yells Grady. Somebody knew what he was.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
I think that's it, actually. Grady has really stepped it up this season. He was always a hustler and will continue to wear that as a badge of honor, but now he's also making big plays, athletic ones most wouldn't necessarily have expected from him. I'm not sure if this is what the coaches saw in practice all along and it just took time to manifest in game action, or if he's actually taken his abilities to a new level. Either way, he's earned his place as a starter.

Comfort is a big deal. As Painter talks about, it's hard for a guy to play 7-15 minutes a game and really get into a strong rhythm.

Grady never had a lot of consistent playing time until late last year and then this year.

It'll be the same thing for Wheeler, Sasha, etc. - they are showing they can make a big impact, but they are in a difficult spot to come out and do that on a consistent basis given their minutes. When they have that opportunity, they will be able to be more in the flow and can be more consistent.

I thought it was interesting that his old HS team gives an award after practice for extra effort called the GRADY. If somebody dives for a ball or does something else a little extra everybody yells Grady. Somebody knew what he was.
The things is...it isn't his old high school. It is a school that has zero relationship with Eifert.

It's hard to do it on TV. One play that stood out to me was I think in the IU game at Mackey - IU had a fast break opportunity and Grady was trailing behind the play but was pointing out Justin Smith running down the court, who eventually was the dunker on an alley oop. Grady saw that develop from the get go and tried to point it out.

Underwood made a point to mention that they 'won' a match-up by only allowing Eifert to get 2 offensive rebounds. With that comment, you now know opposing teams are placing Grady as a priority in their scouting and game planning because of what he brings to the team. If Eifert can grab 4 to 5 offensive rebounds a game...that is 4-5 more 'possessions' and the more opportunities you get, the more chances you have of succeeding and winning. CMP places a high priority on efficiency but also number of opportunities.

Reactions: Purdue85
Trying to put this in as positive a way as I can... Grady needs to play as many minutes as he can handle. Just more consistent...at everything.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
Underwood made a point to mention that they 'won' a match-up by only allowing Eifert to get 2 offensive rebounds. With that comment, you now know opposing teams are placing Grady as a priority in their scouting and game planning because of what he brings to the team. If Eifert can grab 4 to 5 offensive rebounds a game...that is 4-5 more 'possessions' and the more opportunities you get, the more chances you have of succeeding and winning. CMP places a high priority on efficiency but also number of opportunities.

Last year, our 2 weaknesses were rebounding and turnovers. Our offensive efficiency was high because we scored a lot of points by shooting the ball well and at a high rate (Haas had a ridiculous percentage, he went to the FT line a lot, we had strong 3 point shooters, etc.).

But we relied on shooting the ball well because we weren't going to dominate on the boards/and or have major advantages on turnovers.

This year's team, the rebounding is pretty good and the turnovers are pretty low. Thus, we should end up with more opportunities than teams. Which allows for some flexibility on offense - and if you have an off game.

This year, we're averaging 5 more shots per game than our opponent.

Last year, we averaged 3 fewer shots per game than our opponent.

I don't mean it to be a "harp" on someone at all, but this is why I've been pointing out shot selection with Carsen through this Big Ten season. The point goes for everyone - they all take bad shots, but Carsen just happens to be the highest volume so he has a bigger impact. Because if we play our normal game of low TO, good rebounding, etc. AND have good shot selection (and get 5 more shots than our opponent), we're going to be one tough out come March.

Trying to put this in as positive a way as I can... Grady needs to play as many minutes as he can handle. Just more consistent...at everything.
I think what we are also seeing this year (Painter even mentioned it in his postgame) is that it is very difficult for most guys to be effective in spot minutes. It is hard to get into the flow of the game quickly and knowing you may be coming out at the next whistle. Haarms seems to be the only one who is consistently effective coming off the bench. But he is also now very effective as starter. Look at the guys who are now starting (Cline, Nojel, Grady) and you could have said the same about most of them last year when they didn't have nearly as much opportunity. I think we will see a different Aaron next year as his opportunity arrives. It probably would have been there for him this year had Grady actually played like a walk on. :)

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
didn't know that, but did notice that one time in particular..a player went out of his way a bit to get a body on Grady and so Underwood saying that verified what I saw...AND WHY NOT?
Who else "finds" boards that others don't?

Reactions: BoilerGal74
It's hard to do it on TV. One play that stood out to me was I think in the IU game at Mackey - IU had a fast break opportunity and Grady was trailing behind the play but was pointing out Justin Smith running down the court, who eventually was the dunker on an alley oop. Grady saw that develop from the get go and tried to point it out.
I wonder if Grady is interested in coaching. His court awareness is as good as any and better than most.

Love me some Grady. Let's just hope he doesn't have to cover Zion in the tourney.

I thought the same thing at some point, then I started to wonder if there is anyone in college bball that can guard Zion effectively?

I'm with you though. I do think avoiding Duke would be nice this year (and most years, I guess).

Reactions: atmafola
I believe the Grady haters are those people who are looking down the road at potential elite 8 match-ups rather than starters on PSU, Illinois and Rutgers. . rather than talking about efficiency, they were talking about talent and match-ups. When you get down to just 16 teams, the talent level is pretty high. Right now, Brady is Purdue's starting power forward. looking just at the BIG 10 and not the sweet 16 or elite 8, how does he compare against Morgan, Happ or Ward? and who would you rather have as your starting pf? As great as Brady's efficiency is, would he even make the BIG 10's honorable mention?

a lot is said about brady haters. it's not that people hate brady, they just recognize talent. and they see a lot of other PFs a lot more talented than brady. Player efficiency isn't always the greatest rating. Does Zion have the #1 efficiency? Does he even care? Given a choice of having any PF just from the BIG 10, who would be your choice? who would be in your top 5? Grady ?

Reactions: BoilerIron
I believe the Grady haters are those people who are looking down the road at potential elite 8 match-ups rather than starters on PSU, Illinois and Rutgers. . rather than talking about efficiency, they were talking about talent and match-ups. When you get down to just 16 teams, the talent level is pretty high. Right now, Brady is Purdue's starting power forward. looking just at the BIG 10 and not the sweet 16 or elite 8, how does he compare against Morgan, Happ or Ward? and who would you rather have as your starting pf? As great as Brady's efficiency is, would he even make the BIG 10's honorable mention?

a lot is said about brady haters. it's not that people hate brady, they just recognize talent. and they see a lot of other PFs a lot more talented than brady. Player efficiency isn't always the greatest rating. Does Zion have the #1 efficiency? Does he even care? Given a choice of having any PF just from the BIG 10, who would be your choice? who would be in your top 5? Grady ?
Loyola's "power forward" last year was 6'5". Michigan's was 190 pounds. Neither one was all conference caliber player. Both of their teams made the final four. There's more than one way to win basketball games.

Aight, got this.

Let's call Grady... "Eiffort"

I like that!!

Eiffort
Big Cat
Haarms Way
Beastern
Boogie

Maybe "Aarcher" for Araon for such a nice arch on his shots?

Heck, I am having fun here

Boiler Up!!

Loyola's "power forward" last year was 6'5". Michigan's was 190 pounds. Neither one was all conference caliber player. Both of their teams made the final four. There's more than one way to win basketball games.

I was talking about Grady, not the key to Purdue, Loyola or Michigan's team success. I'm quite certain if given a choice, all three teams would have welcomed Happ, Ward or Morgan over Grady. I'm also fairly certain Purdue fans also would. Should I bring out the archived threads about Purdue recruiting Ward?

Grady is what he is, but you can't tell me Purdue fans wouldn't welcome a better PF, or that because of his efficiency numbers, he's one of the best PFs in the nation or even the BIG 10 this year.

I was talking about Grady, not the key to Purdue, Loyola or Michigan's team success. I'm quite certain if given a choice, all three teams would have welcomed Happ, Ward or Morgan over Grady. I'm also fairly certain Purdue fans also would. Should I bring out the archived threads about Purdue recruiting Ward?

Grady is what he is, but you can't tell me Purdue fans wouldn't welcome a better PF, or that because of his efficiency numbers, he's one of the best PFs in the nation or even the BIG 10 this year.
To begin with, all three of those players play the 5, so no I’m not sure they would or even could play Grady’s role. Next, team success is exactly the point here.. That’s the end goal, not simply accumulating talent. Putting a more talented player or better scorer in Grady’s place wouldn’t guarantee more success for Purdue. That player might also turn the ball over more, not grab as many loose balls, and give up easy baskets. Grady plays an important complementary role just like guys on those final four teams who weren’t the most talented. Whether we wanted him originally or where he ranked as a recruit is irrelevant. Was Horace Grant the best power forward in the league when he played? No but he gave the Bulls exactly what they needed to do the dirty work on a team with a dynamic scorer in Jordan. Grady is here playing an important role on this team. I’m enjoying the hell out of it, not looking around for “something better”.

To begin with, all three of those players play the 5, so no I’m not sure they would or even could play Grady’s role. Next, team success is exactly the point here.. That’s the end goal, not simply accumulating talent. Putting a more talented player or better scorer in Grady’s place wouldn’t guarantee more success for Purdue. That player might also turn the ball over more, not grab as many loose balls, and give up easy baskets. Grady plays an important complementary role just like guys on those final four teams who weren’t the most talented. Whether we wanted him originally or where he ranked as a recruit is irrelevant. Was Horace Grant the best power forward in the league when he played? No but he gave the Bulls exactly what they needed to do the dirty work on a team with a dynamic scorer in Jordan. Grady is here playing an important role on this team. I’m enjoying the hell out of it, not looking around for “something better”.
Mostly gonna stay out of this, but yes a TEAM sport like basketball is quite different than TRACK, where even within a team setting the individual performance can be judged on the individual. Who ranks the things Matt and some Purdue fans value from Grady?

In almost every position for Purdue I can pick a player that might appear to be a better player for Purdue, but that addition is NOT independent of affecting the needs of others. The best 5 individual players don't necessarily blend enough to be the best team. The Purdue Basketball program is evolving and steadily improving. It will be evolution and not revolution that Purdue improves.

Reactions: GGT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT