ADVERTISEMENT

Delusional

Got it. It’s to the point for IU where they cannot take anyone else on board. I don’t know about their blue and green shirt status but might be able to get 1 or 2 more tops. But with 21 true freshmen and 20+ transfers they probably only have 60 scholarship non true-freshmen players next year and by the time the season rolls around that could be in the low 50s. So even losing backups with experience will hurt where they will be counting on walking and marginal transfers to fill in the gaps.
Two more transfer portals from indinia this week. DE Jonathon King and OL Brad Freeney. Not expected to be impact players but valuable leadership. Again, indinia is maxed out of this class and can’t keep plugging holes with transfers. I think they only have 20 players from their 2017-2019 classes left. To put in perspective I think Purdue has 32 from those classes. Also can’t be good for morale.

Two more transfer portals from indinia this week. DE Jonathon King and OL Brad Freeney. Not expected to be impact players but valuable leadership. Again, indinia is maxed out of this class and can’t keep plugging holes with transfers. I think they only have 20 players from their 2017-2019 classes left. To put in perspective I think Purdue has 32 from those classes. Also can’t be good for morale.
WTH...

This long ago became indefensible.

They have gone from "ignition phase" to "smoking kindling", on the dumpster fire scale.

We're still over on scholarships so there will still be a couple more kids leaving.
Think about that, folks: 29 have entered the portal.

That's more than a THIRD of scholarship players (assuming they were all on scholarship), and they're "still over on scholarships". AND THERE WILL BE MORE!

This is entering year SIX for Tom Allen (and, he was DC for one year prior to that).

Wow. How the hell do you build a program on that (rhetorical question).

I think we're at 86
I’ve got a spreadsheet I got from an iu fan in addition to my Purdue spreadsheet and I’m down to 84 for indiana and 86 for purdue. I think both teams should expect to lose another 5-6 by the time the season starts. The difference is indiana has 32 new players on the roster and Purdue has 25 new players (and one is a blue or green shirt). When Purdue loses guys they can add more transfers but will still have close to 60 experienced players. Indiana is capped at the 32 with the 25 first counters plus 7 bonus and as they lose more they can’t add anyone. So at best they are at 54 if it’s 86 but chances are will be less than 50. That may seem like a lot but this isn’t the nfl where you can add nfl ready guys from the practice squad or sign nfl ready players off the street. Bottom line is indiana will be playing a lot of walk ons, transfers, and true freshmen

I think they just offered one of our PWO OL a scholarship as I see hE committed there today. Only reason why he’d switch IMO.

Reactions: bumpstock
I think they just offered one of our PWO OL a scholarship as I see hE committed there today. Only reason why he’d switch IMO.
They are out of scholarships, maybe a blue or green shirt. You can’t get any back from high school commits who have signed. Unless a transfer backed out.

Saw where Indinia lost their WR coach to UCF. He came to IU with Allen from Ole Miss, so they know each other well. After all of the player losses so far, the lifeboats must be getting full.

Allen has a tough sell at IU. Defensively, he just hired a DC and then announced he (Allen) is going to call the defense, so the guy he hired isn’t really going to coordinate anything. On offense, he isn’t involved, and isn’t going to be. That’s someone else’s problem. If you’re a budding wannabe OC, you’ll get all the blame if things don’t work out and, if they do, you’ll take the first job you can get elsewhere because the HC has made it clear he doesn’t care about your side of the ball.

With a philosophy like that, how could you finish last in the conference, losing all of your games and getting blown out in most of them? No wonder they’re in a total rebuild entering his 7th season.

Allen has a tough sell at IU. Defensively, he just hired a DC and then announced he (Allen) is going to call the defense, so the guy he hired isn’t really going to coordinate anything. On offense, he isn’t involved, and isn’t going to be. That’s someone else’s problem. If you’re a budding wannabe OC, you’ll get all the blame if things don’t work out and, if they do, you’ll take the first job you can get elsewhere because the HC has made it clear he doesn’t care about your side of the ball.

With a philosophy like that, how could you finish last in the conference, losing all of your games and getting blown out in most of them? No wonder they’re in a total rebuild entering his 7th season.
Allen to me really represents yet another example of why it’s hard to get a coach as good as brohm at Purdue. If you were an upcoming coach would you wanna go to a program where you’ve traditionally been in an uphill battle against more than half of the conference?

I think both “upcoming” and “up and coming” coaches would usually say “yes” to almost any BiG job, since the resources are so vast compared to almost any other conference. Hayden Fry, Barry Alvarez, Nick Saban, Joe Tiller, John Mackovic, Lou Holtz, and Gary Barnett all jumped at the opportunity, and all had success because they were top flight football coaches. They also created opportunities for their successors, many of who continued the success at each of their schools. Being a well rounded coach sure helps, though. That’s where Brohm shines and where Allen comes up short.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT