ADVERTISEMENT

Defend Taiwan

I don't know what it would take to start a factory that makes these chips... but why can't we get some production in the US for these? If they are SO vital to everything why not have at least some domestic ability to manufacture them.

I don't know what it would take to start a factory that makes these chips... but why can't we get some production in the US for these? If they are SO vital to everything why not have at least some domestic ability to manufacture them.
I'm a EE, 20 years of my career spent in components and obsolescence. I've watched as fab after fab has shut down in the US and production moved over seas. I thought maybe COVID had taught us a lesson and you would see companies looking to want to spread the production back out so they are not so reliant on basically one country. Nope, this summer got a notice from a semi conductor company closing down their US fab that makes a key part for us and shipping it to Taiwan.

Defense used to be a big enough player they could stipulate production had to be US based, but anymore, that is a very small, niche market. So if you try to force it through those methods, semiconductors just say, "Okay, we don't have to mil parts anymore". Seen that happen quite a bit too in the past.

lol you're about 30 years too late to "bring manufacturing back to America"

It is foolish to say that it is too late.. Simply foolish. It has to be a priority. Something demos know nothing about.
Well.....isn't it these companies that decide to move overseas? For higher profit margins? So how do we stop that? Are you against corporations making higher profits? Do you propose the government step in and make them keep their manufacturing here? What's your answer......besides blaming Dems?

TSMC is building a massive fab in Phoenix. Let's hope Brandon doesn't shut it down for diversity reasons.

Reactions: facecard7
Biden should not have walked back his guarantee

I hope and suspect that the Taiwan gov has let it be known to the commie dogs that the key fab machinery that the dogs cannot make or buy will be destroyed in the event of an attack.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Well.....isn't it these companies that decide to move overseas? For higher profit margins? So how do we stop that? Are you against corporations making higher profits? Do you propose the government step in and make them keep their manufacturing here? What's your answer......besides blaming Dems?
The risk/benefit calculation has changed significantly for many companies, with many pulling out of China and some coming back here.

I hope and suspect that the Taiwan gov has let it be known to the commie dogs that the key fab machinery that the dogs cannot make or buy will be destroyed in the event of an attack.
That would be a major hit to the world economy.

Corporations, facing competition was foreign sources who are subsidized by their foreign governments had to chase the offshore path to stay alive. Libs like to say it was profit seeking and it was to an extent but foreign governments have had open trade in our direction for decades too.

Also This: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Production_Act_of_1950

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT