ADVERTISEMENT

David Bell

hunkgolden

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2004
Seems like its down to Purdue and PSU for him. I wonder if David is considering what PSU wide receivers are returning and who they have committed.
Returning they have:
Starter Juwan Johnson is a redshirt junior
Justin Shorter is a freshman this year. He is a 5* wr with a 6.1 rating
Jahan Dotson is a freshman this year. He is 4* wr with a 5.9 rating
Committed they have:
John Dunmore - a 4* wr with a 5.9 rating
Expected to commit to PSU is Jalen Curry a 4* wr with a 5.9 rating
All of these players play the outside wide receiver position.

At minimum David would would have to beat out four of these guys to start. Going forward, he would be competing against Dunmore and Curry all 4 years to be a starter. No easy task seeing as how both of those guys are ranked higher than Bell. Dunmore is the 13th ranked wr in this class; Curry is the 15th ranked wr.

David could be setting the world on fire with Moore at Purdue or possibly sitting the bench at PSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: boilerbusdriver
Shorter was a top 10 player and last I heard he had 0 catches this season. Our staff needs to make sure Bell is well aware of that stat.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
Looks like Johnson would only have 1 year left. Played 4 games in 2016 and then a full season last year along with this year.

Looks like Johnson would only have 1 year left. Played 4 games in 2016 and then a full season last year along with this year.
He is listed as a redshirt junior this year...meaning he would have 2 years of eligibility after this year.

I thought that was listed as redshirt sophomore in that case. To distinguish him from being an academic junior. I may be wrong but his stats do show this to be his 3rd year of playing.

Probably not relevant to the discussion though. He may go pro anyway.

I thought that was listed as redshirt sophomore in that case. To distinguish him from being an academic junior. I may be wrong but his stats do show this to be his 3rd year of playing.

Probably not relevant to the discussion though. He may go pro anyway.
I believe you are correct. If someone is a redshirt freshman, it indicates their second year. A redshirt senior (which he would be next year) would mean he is in his 5th year and done.
But yes, not really relevant

He was in the High School class of 2015.

Redshirt 2015 Penn State
RS Fresh 2016 (4 games)
RS Soph 2017 (12 games)
RS Junior 2018
RS Sen (or 5th year Senior) 2019

Reactions: Frankie611
He will have a lot of competition at Purdue as well. Have you seen the list of receivers we hav for 2018/2019? Plus sparks and Anthrop.
Anthrop hardly plays and Sparks hasn't exactly set the world on fire. You're nuts if you think Bell isn't starting from day 1 at Purdue.

Reactions: pboiler18
Anthrop hardly plays and Sparks hasn't exactly set the world on fire. You're nuts if you think Bell isn't starting from day 1 at Purdue.

Call me nuts then. There are plenty of star WRs with that much fanfare that never make it . Anthrop was our top WR last year until Anthony pulled away. Sparks has the potential to be a star, coaching staff is very high on him. Don’t get me wrong he is probably a day 1 starter like Moore but no guarantees especially with all our talent. It will be a lot harder for the new class to start day 1. And technically Moore is not a starter and Anthrop is per our depth chart :)

Call me nuts then. There are plenty of star WRs with that much fanfare that never make it . Anthrop was our top WR last year until Anthony pulled away. Sparks has the potential to be a star, coaching staff is very high on him. Don’t get me wrong he is probably a day 1 starter like Moore but no guarantees especially with all our talent. It will be a lot harder for the new class to start day 1. And technically Moore is not a starter and Anthrop is per our depth chart :)
Anthrop plays the slot. Bell plays outside. Anthrop doesn't play because of Moore. This team needs an outside receiver with speed and skill. That is precisely what Bell brings.

If you've seen Bell play, you'd know there are few better WRs out there. He's a great kid and literally does it all on the field. He's our starter as a Primary outside WR next year if he comes. Unquestionably.

I also think if he goes to PSU, he starts for them as well. Guy is VASTLY underrated, mostly because he's not an SEC recruit. Moore's usage and success has more than caught his eye as far as him coming to Purdue is concerned. Might not be enough, but its definitely gotten us into the mix.

If you've seen Bell play, you'd know there are few better WRs out there. He's a great kid and literally does it all on the field. He's our starter as a Primary outside WR next year if he comes. Unquestionably.

I also think if he goes to PSU, he starts for them as well. Guy is VASTLY underrated, mostly because he's not an SEC recruit. Moore's usage and success has more than caught his eye as far as him coming to Purdue is concerned. Might not be enough, but its definitely gotten us into the mix.
Agree. Bell is likely a day 1 starter...if not, likely game 2 or 3.

RB: Fuller/Doerue
TE: Hopkins
Slot: Moore
WR: Sparks
WR: Bell

That would be my pick for game one next season if Bell comes. If he doesn't, put Taylor in for Bell instead.

Agree with both. My point was responding to OP that he may not start at PSU due to talent on the team and that same logic would apply at Purdue, that there is enough talent that although he is likely to start day 1 there is no guarantee.

I understand Anthrop plays the slot but we don’t play typical XYZ receivers. We line up Moore on the outside and sometimes we liNe our TEs in the typical “outside” WR position. Anthrop is only 1” shorter than Wright who some on this board have said he is our best outside WR.

If you've seen Bell play, you'd know there are few better WRs out there.

I also think if he goes to PSU, he starts for them as well. Guy is VASTLY underrated, mostly because he's not an SEC recruit.

If you watch Bell, he is like Moore. When he walks into campus there is no doubt that he is a day one starter.

With Penn State though, they have 5 Star WR Justin Shorter. https://247sports.com/player/justin-shorter-84829/
Shorter isn’t even starting, stuck behind a 6’4 Junior that will likely be back next year. In fact, Shorter may redshirt, as the number one WR in the country. Shorter was the number one WR in his class and 6th overall on 247.

Penn State also has Dotson and George, two six foot top 250 WRs from the ‘18 class as well. Not to mention Dunmore 6’2 and 110 overall in the ‘19 class.

I am not saying Bell can’t start as a freshman, even for PSU, but let’s not make it a given. I think Bell believes in himself in that he wouldn’t back down from a challenge. But, the number one ‘18 WR in the nation and five Star hasn’t even played yet this year. There was hype that he would possibly start too.

Think about that. The number one WR in the nation can’t see the field. Moore comes to Purdue as the number 41 WR, and everybody knows his name. One of, if not the best, true freshman. He is having an unbelievable year in the spotlight and plays a different role than Bell. Whoever plays opposite of Moore is going to get a lot of one on one coverage. Bell would have a much better freshman year at Purdue than at Penn State and you can book that. Moore made the clear correct choice and he is a household name. There is room on the other side for Bell to walk right in and put up really impressive numbers as a true freshman.

I don’t doubt Bell. If Warren didn’t have Romier tearing it up, Bell would be having an even more ridiculous year. But Bell isn’t selfish and just wants to win. He works hard at his craft and he will be a monster. Purdue has a chance and they need to close. Finish out the season strong and keep on him all the way until he makes his decision at the all-American game. Let’s grab that second WR selection at the game, because it worked out reeeeeeal well for the last one to do it.

Hippenhammer as well. He redshirted last year and will take more playing time away as well.

If Bell was really worried about starting Day 1 he would pick IU. We have a lot of young talent at WR.

IU has a lot of questions at WR. What IU doesn’t have is an system that airs the ball out like Purdue and they don’t have Moore to draw away the doubles and pull the safeties away. It isn’t just about immediate playing time, but it’s also about being able to be fully featured early in a pass happy system. Check and check.

IU’s biggest issue right now is that Allen isn’t going to scheme them into winning a game. The better teams come in and beat them, but IU has some talent. As long as they schedule scrubs in the noncon games they will steady be a 4-7 win team. Nothing more than that though.

Penn State is much better now. It doesn’t mean they will be better in 2-3 years especially if Purdue continues to land high quality recruits. Purdue’s defense is going to be much better next year. The biggest questions will be at RB and OL. But a lot less questions than this year.

IU has a lot of questions at WR. What IU doesn’t have is an system that airs the ball out like Purdue and they don’t have Moore to draw away the doubles and pull the safeties away. It isn’t just about immediate playing time, but it’s also about being able to be fully featured early in a pass happy system. Check and check.

IU’s biggest issue right now is that Allen isn’t going to scheme them into winning a game. The B1G teams come in and beat them, but IU has some talent. As long as they schedule scrubs in the noncon games they will steady be a 4-7 win team. Nothing more than that though.

Penn State is much better now. It doesn’t mean they will be better in 2-3 years especially if Purdue continues to land high quality recruits. Purdue’s defense is going to be much better next year. The biggest questions will be at RB and OL. But a lot less questions than this year.

FIFY. The only way they win four is because of Rutgers.

IU’s biggest issue right now is that Allen isn’t going to scheme them into winning a game. The better teams come in and beat them, but IU has some talent. As long as they schedule scrubs in the noncon games they will steady be a 4-7 win team. Nothing more than that though.

The biggest concern might be Tom Allen surviving another 3-4 years.

Based on this season, Ben Davis may be looking for a new coach. Probably better players there most years

Reactions: ChuckJr
If you watch Bell, he is like Moore. When he walks into campus there is no doubt that he is a day one starter.

With Penn State though, they have 5 Star WR Justin Shorter. https://247sports.com/player/justin-shorter-84829/
Shorter isn’t even starting, stuck behind a 6’4 Junior that will likely be back next year. In fact, Shorter may redshirt, as the number one WR in the country. Shorter was the number one WR in his class and 6th overall on 247.

Penn State also has Dotson and George, two six foot top 250 WRs from the ‘18 class as well. Not to mention Dunmore 6’2 and 110 overall in the ‘19 class.

I am not saying Bell can’t start as a freshman, even for PSU, but let’s not make it a given. I think Bell believes in himself in that he wouldn’t back down from a challenge. But, the number one ‘18 WR in the nation and five Star hasn’t even played yet this year. There was hype that he would possibly start too.

Think about that. The number one WR in the nation can’t see the field. Moore comes to Purdue as the number 41 WR, and everybody knows his name. One of, if not the best, true freshman. He is having an unbelievable year in the spotlight and plays a different role than Bell. Whoever plays opposite of Moore is going to get a lot of one on one coverage. Bell would have a much better freshman year at Purdue than at Penn State and you can book that. Moore made the clear correct choice and he is a household name. There is room on the other side for Bell to walk right in and put up really impressive numbers as a true freshman.

I don’t doubt Bell. If Warren didn’t have Romier tearing it up, Bell would be having an even more ridiculous year. But Bell isn’t selfish and just wants to win. He works hard at his craft and he will be a monster. Purdue has a chance and they need to close. Finish out the season strong and keep on him all the way until he makes his decision at the all-American game. Let’s grab that second WR selection at the game, because it worked out reeeeeeal well for the last one to do it.
Reading about how loaded PSU is, I’m starting to think if we miss on Bell we need to start recruiting whoever the odd man out at PSU is as a transfer. I mean.. checking interest thru back channels of course...

Reactions: Zaphod_B
IU couldn’t have picked a better game for Bell to attend lol.
It’s what IU does
Now we are prepared to show up against O$U and I think that we will have a good game, we may not win in the end, but we will compete

If Bell was really worried about starting Day 1 he would pick IU. We have a lot of young talent at WR.

A lot of young talent, but nothing close to Bell with the exception of Rhondale. If we did, they'd be starting in front of Sparks right now. Purdue's putting up big numbers in the passing game and allowing Rhondale to showcase his talents. Why wouldn't Bell want to join a Top 25 recruiting class where he'll likely get to play day one?

I had heard Bell was considering Iowa. I find it interesting that both his Purdue and IU visits feature games against Iowa. Iowa's QB put up an impressive game against IU. Here's hoping they come down to Earth against Purdue. If not, that would provide Bell something to think about.

I had heard Bell was considering Iowa. I find it interesting that both his Purdue and IU visits feature games against Iowa. Iowa's QB put up an impressive game against IU. Here's hoping they come down to Earth against Purdue. If not, that would provide Bell something to think about.

Bell told Iowa he was very interested. Needed to show him we can pass the ball. Iowa had Stanley passing down Field on the last play of the game. The announcers thought there might have been bad blood. Brian Ferentz had the O slinging that ball because David Bell was on site.

Bell told Iowa he was very interested. Needed to show him we can pass the ball. Iowa had Stanley passing down Field on the last play of the game. The announcers thought there might have been bad blood. Brian Ferentz had the O slinging that ball because David Bell was on site.

I get he may be interested. But going to Iowa would be a mistake if he wants to be a superstar wide receiver. They run the ball and play D. Not sure I understand that one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT