ADVERTISEMENT

Damezi Anderson enters the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
IU's improved their win total every year under Archie. If not for KenPom showing analytical improvement, what more than actual wins and losses do you need? If you're looking strictly at W-L column you have no choice but to agree that IU has improved every year.

Not enough to warrant keeping him around, or to even come close to justifying his compensation. We have every right to expect quite a bit more than we've gotten. And, IMO, 3 years is plenty of time to see that Glass made a bad hire. FTR, I was very enthusiastic about the hire when it was made. But the results have been on the wrong side of average -- and, IMO, for long enough to know that this isn't working.

Getting back to the appropriate topic for the board, as I said earlier, if you want an example of somebody coaching well, Matt Painter is among the better ones out there.

• His teams have pretty consistently competed well in conference. They haven't been in the upper B10 echelon every season -- but more than not. And certainly enough to clear the bar.
  • He came a hair's breadth away from a FF berth.
  • His teams usually seem to be peaking right around the correct time.
  • I think, on balance, Purdue's recruiting has been better under Painter than it was when Keady was there. I wouldn't call them a recruiting powerhouse -- but I think the results he gets out of the players he does get are about as good as one can expect.

Not enough to warrant keeping him around, or to even come close to justifying his compensation. We have every right to expect quite a bit more than we've gotten. And, IMO, 3 years is plenty of time to see that Glass made a bad hire. FTR, I was very enthusiastic about the hire when it was made. But the results have been on the wrong side of average -- and, IMO, for long enough to know that this isn't working.

Getting back to the appropriate topic for the board, as I said earlier, if you want an example of somebody coaching well, Matt Painter is among the better ones out there.

• His teams have pretty consistently competed well in conference. They haven't been in the upper B10 echelon every season -- but more than not. And certainly enough to clear the bar.
  • I think, on balance, Purdue's recruiting has been better under Painter than it was when Keady was there. I wouldn't call them a recruiting powerhouse -- but I think the results he gets out of the players he does get are about as good as one can expect.
Matt knows which kid will play and fit in his system. Archie has no system and relies on the player's rankings.

IU would have been set back another 10 years had they fired Archie after 3 years. You're crazy. IU has gotten better every year under Archie. Through three years Archie has a better record than:
-Beilein @ Michigan
-Jay Wright @ Villanova
-Mike Kryzewski @ Duke
-Billy Donovan
-and an identical record to the T as Tony Bennett through 98 games @ Virginia

Glad all those AD's saw 3 years wasn't enough time.

Reactions: BCS Hoosier
IU would have been set back another 10 years had they fired Archie after 3 years.

Well, I don't agree. Comments like this are nothing more than conjecture.

But as I've said here and elsewhere, I think the program needs more than a coaching change. It needs a paradigm shift. The fact that there are so many people, both inside and outside the university, who have such a high degree of tolerance for mediocrity -- you're representative of that point of view here -- is, ironically, the single biggest reason we seem to have gotten so much of it in the past 20ish years.

Things will turn around when, and only when, we rid ourselves of that loser's attitude. But it's tough to do that -- because of the fear you expressed here: that doing so will only make things worse.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Archie’s Kenpom numbers both offensively and defensively have improved significantly in each of his first 3 seasons.
That is a reasonable measure. Can you post the numbers? I and a bit chair bound with a terrible back problem and can’t do too much right now, except be a provocateur. :cool:

IU would have been set back another 10 years had they fired Archie after 3 years. You're crazy. IU has gotten better every year under Archie. Through three years Archie has a better record than:
-Beilein @ Michigan
-Jay Wright @ Villanova
-Mike Kryzewski @ Duke
-Billy Donovan
-and an identical record to the T as Tony Bennett through 98 games @ Virginia

Glad all those AD's saw 3 years wasn't enough time.
I don’t recall any of those coaches looking as lost on the sideline as I have seen Archie at times. I mean when it started to fall apart, he has a look of bewilderment as if what he is seeing is actually really, real. He also seems very dependent on having a player or two perform above their normal level of performance to win big games which is why his teams are so inconsistent. You can’t always rely upon a miracle at this level so I doubt he makes it to year five. I don’t see how this years team without completely doing a 180 from long distance, being any better than last year. It takes shooters to win at this level and I don’t see any that are going to be able to consistently hit the deep ball and keep teams from packing it in.

Would you still pro-Archie if IU doesn’t finish top 5 in the league and only wins a single game in the tourney as slow seed?

Well, I don't agree. Comments like this are nothing more than conjecture.

But as I've said here and elsewhere, I think the program needs more than a coaching change. It needs a paradigm shift. The fact that there are so many people, both inside and outside the university, who have such a high degree of tolerance for mediocrity -- you're representative of that point of view here -- is, ironically, the single biggest reason we seem to have gotten so much of it in the past 20ish years.

Things will turn around when, and only when, we rid ourselves of that loser's attitude. But it's tough to do that -- because of the fear you expressed here: that doing so will only make things worse.

Sorry I don’t follow that logic. So what, the fan base needs to ban together and demand a F4 every year and when it doesn’t happen just shuffle coaches? Rinse, wash, repeat? It’s that easy?

That isn’t how it works. You’re delusional if you think IU is going to fire Archie and shell out $7-8/mil yr to land Donovan or Stevens. It ain’t happening.

And I think it’s laughable that you say IU fans have a losers attitude yet in the same thread praise Matt Painter. First and foremost I want to say that Painter is an excellent coach and is the perfect fit who embodies Purdue’s culture, but you do realize that from Years 8-11, Painter had:

-2 losing seasons including a dead last finish in the B10
-0 NCAAT wins
-2 epic and colossal collapses in the NCAAT including blowing a double lead to #12 UALR with less than 5 minutes to play.

And they gave him a contract extension 2 weeks later!!!! Absurd. You think that would fly at IU after 10+ years on the job? In this comes just a few years prior where he basically handcuffed his Alma Mater to a pay raise by threatening to leave for Missouri. He would have been tarred and feathered out of Bloomington.

You realize IU just fired a coach who won more B10 titles and went to more S16 at the the time of his firing than Matt Painter?? And did it in 3 less years? And that’s counting the three year rebuild considering the dumpster fire he inherited. Yet IU fans have losing attitudes?

You’re wrong in this one guy.

I don’t recall any of those coaches looking as lost on the sideline as I have seen Archie at times. I mean when it started to fall apart, he has a look of bewilderment as if what he is seeing is actually really, real. He also seems very dependent on having a player or two perform above their normal level of performance to win big games which is why his teams are so inconsistent. You can’t always rely upon a miracle at this level so I doubt he makes it to year five. I don’t see how this years team without completely doing a 180 from long distance, being any better than last year. It takes shooters to win at this level and I don’t see any that are going to be able to consistently hit the deep ball and keep teams from packing it in.

Would you still pro-Archie if IU doesn’t finish top 5 in the league and only wins a single game in the tourney as slow seed?

What? Some of those coaches I mentioned above had multiple losing seasons their first 3 years. I’m illustrating a point that using 3 years as a baseline to gauge a coaches trajectory isn’t always accurate.

I said earlier that I needed to see IU finish in the upper third of the B10 and/or make the second weekend of the tournament. I don’t think he loses his job unless he misses the tournament altogether but his seat will bee off the chart hot with a lower half B10 finish and an early round exit.

One of the challenges when you hire a young coach is that you have to be willing to let them learn on the job. Matt Painter knows a lot more about the game and how to coach it now, verses when we hired him. He recruits differently, he coaches his players differently, andhe has found how to make the team peak at the right time. You have to endure the bumps that come from learning.

I just haven’t watched enough IU basketball year over year to judge if Archie is improving and learning while he has been at IU. ...and will the IU fans give him time to learn how to coach in the BIG and win consistently.

For the love of God would you looiser idiots crawl back to your trailers and STFU! No one here gives a sh!t about you or your opinions. You’re not fooling anyone coach courtdence. You constantly stalk everything Purdue and they live in your empty head rent free.

For the love of God would you looiser idiots crawl back to your trailers and STFU! No one here gives a sh!t about you or your opinions. You’re not fooling anyone coach courtdence. You constantly stalk everything Purdue and they live in your empty head rent free.

Somebody needs a Snickers and thanks for letting us know that you took the time to read through 5 pages just to let us know you didn’t care. Bravo.

Sorry gator. I may be promoting the IU talk as much as anyone. I just thought it was an interesting topic for us quarantined/marooned/lonely fans to kick around on a Friday night.

:cool:

Sorry gator. I may be promoting the IU talk as much as anyone. I just thought it was an interesting topic for us quarantined/marooned/lonely fans to kick around on a Friday night.

:cool:

No harm. When’s Hopkins going? If Colts can steal him in the 5th round (although I think they may have just traded that pick) I’d be thrilled.

Sorry I don’t follow that logic. So what, the fan base needs to ban together and demand a F4 every year and when it doesn’t happen just shuffle coaches? Rinse, wash, repeat? It’s that easy?

That isn’t how it works. You’re delusional if you think IU is going to fire Archie and shell out $7-8/mil yr to land Donovan or Stevens. It ain’t happening.

And I think it’s laughable that you say IU fans have a losers attitude yet in the same thread praise Matt Painter. First and foremost I want to say that Painter is an excellent coach and is the perfect fit who embodies Purdue’s culture, but you do realize that from Years 8-11, Painter had:

-2 losing seasons including a dead last finish in the B10
-0 NCAAT wins
-2 epic and colossal collapses in the NCAAT including blowing a double lead to #12 UALR with less than 5 minutes to play.

And they gave him a contract extension 2 weeks later!!!! Absurd. You think that would fly at IU after 10+ years on the job? In this comes just a few years prior where he basically handcuffed his Alma Mater to a pay raise by threatening to leave for Missouri. He would have been tarred and feathered out of Bloomington.

You realize IU just fired a coach who won more B10 titles and went to more S16 at the the time of his firing than Matt Painter?? And did it in 3 less years? And that’s counting the three year rebuild considering the dumpster fire he inherited. Yet IU fans have losing attitudes?

You’re wrong in this one guy.

I wouldn't say making high demands of a team you have nothing to do with makes you a winner. Loser fans are the ones who have their self-worth so tied up in a team they are that they think "demanding" more of it makes them a winner. And that's true whether you choose to pout and throw tantrums over mediocre seasons for either Purdue or IU. I think it's fairly obvious IU has more of these fans because you have more casual fans in state than Purdue does. More fans whose ties to the school go only as deep as sports. Unfortunately we have some as well but we don't have the state name as our university so fortunately far fewer than IU does.

I wouldn't say making high demands of a team you have nothing to do with makes you a winner. Loser fans are the ones who have their self-worth so tied up in a team they are that they think "demanding" more of it makes them a winner. And that's true whether you choose to pout and throw tantrums over mediocre seasons for either Purdue or IU. I think it's fairly obvious IU has more of these fans because you have more casual fans in state than Purdue does. More fans whose ties to the school go only as deep as sports. Unfortunately we have some as well but we don't have the state name as our university so fortunately far fewer than IU does.
Unfortunately, “Coach” Geez isn’t a coach of any renown (the real deal coaches don’t have to label themselves as such), probably didn’t go to IU, and quite probably has no idea what you’re talking about.

This whole thread has nothing to do with Purdue basketball if we're being fair. It was an honest post at first by ChoiceBeef as he has been up to date on a lot of portal entries. But this was obviously destined as another typical Archie shit-on fest because he somehow couldn't turn a player who clearly wasn't that good into an all-conference player and ultimately is choosing to leave the program to try and re-invent himself at a lower-major school.

There was actually decent dialogue until a disgruntled Knight-Apologist started talking out of his ass claiming Anderson was "creaned" from the team and made up some second hand rumor that heard from his imaginary buddy and it went south. This is exactly what the majority of these people wanted. Find another way to shit on Archie.

I am in agreement that Archie hasn't been great out of the gate but continue to believe that he is slowly but surely righting the ship. It may not be at the pace most IU fans would have liked, but I see the progress. Year 4 will be a telling year one way or the other. Archie will start to feel heat if it's another "meh" and if things go really south ie miss the tournament, then he could and probably should be gone. By next years team will be light years ahead of any other Archie coached IU in terms of mixed talent and experience. I'm certainly going to see things through, assuming a season is played next year, before completely jumping ship.

Hey you don’t like anti-Archie stuff you couod go back to the IU FAN board. Oh wait...

Reactions: Purdue85
Great post....but you forgot the one common thread with IU coaches lately.

Bob Knight left it bare for Davis. Yet Davis took that bare cupboard of leftover Knight guys and made the FF..
Davis left it bare for Sampson. But Sampson did a much better job than Davis did in the short time he was there.
Sampson left it bare for Crean. This is all to true and the only legit excuse.

And...Crean left it totally bare for Lil Arch. Hardly. Crean left several quality players and recruits for Lil Arch.

Those are the facts of a current IU fan.

huh? Who says Knight left it bare for Davis? That entire team was recruited while Knight was still there.

Also... Sampson didn’t leave anything bare. Crean emptied out the cupboard himself (with good reason)

huh? Who says Knight left it bare for Davis? That entire team was recruited while Knight was still there.

Also... Sampson didn’t leave anything bare. Crean emptied out the cupboard himself (with good reason)
That’s not accurate on Sampson, half the team flunked out or did or would have flunked multiple drug tests.

I regret starting this post

1.21 Gigawatts might come in handy....if only I could remember where I put that Sports Almanac.

latest

Unfortunately, “Coach” Geez isn’t a coach of any renown (the real deal coaches don’t have to label themselves as such), probably didn’t go to IU, and quite probably has no idea what you’re talking about.

Remember when you didn’t know how redshirting and eligibility worked?

Lol of course you try to use NET SOS when it was proven this year that the NET SOS is broken. And I don't mean broken as in skewed in some way..I mean legitimately broken in that it does not give an accurate output. Let's take a look at the numbers:

iu Schedule / Net Ranking
Florida State (H) / 10
Arkansas (H) / 43
Notre Dame (N) / 52
UCONN (N) / 60
Louisiana Tech (H) / 87
South Dakota St (H) / 126
Princeton (H) / 166
Portland State (H) / 179
Troy (H) / 274
North Alabama (H) / 298
WIU (H) / 334

Purdue Schedule / Net Ranking
Florida State (N) / 10
Butler (N) / 19
Marquette (A) / 26
Virginia (H) / 44
VCU (N) / 68
Texas (H) / 70
Ohio (A) / 158
Central Michigan (H) / 198
Green Bay (H) / 221
Jacksonville State (H) / 284
Chicago State (H) / 353

Some more fun data: Purdue's opponents outrank iu's opponents 8 to 2, with 1 "tie" (even though iu played them at home and Purdue played them on a neutral site). Purdue had 3 neutral site games and 2 road games. iu had 2 netural site games and ZERO road games. If you keep trying to use broken data, you're just going to keep reinforcing the stereotype that iu fans are idiots.
P.S. You can call me Jon Octeus with how much you just got dunked on
KaBAMMO WHAMMO!!!!

That is a reasonable measure. Can you post the numbers? I and a bit chair bound with a terrible back problem and can’t do too much right now, except be a provocateur. :cool:
But, but, but ... it's driving twisties season!!!!!!!!!!!

But, but, but ... it's driving twisties season!!!!!!!!!!!
I know. I’m just dying here, more or less flat on my back with lower back pain. I could get into the S with a crane and a jack! The weather here is still a bit chilly, so the pain is not too bad. The doctors better get this fixed quickly though, I am tired of being so inactive!

:eek:

I know. I’m just dying here, more or less flat on my back with lower back pain. I could get into the S with a crane and a jack! The weather here is still a bit chilly, so the pain is not too bad. The doctors better get this fixed quickly though, I am tired of being so inactive!

Don't know where you are, but Dr. Shuggart at Ft. Wayne Ortho is the best in INdiana.

Reactions: mathboy

Hope you can get some pain relief and that you're feeling better and up and around soon, Mathboy.

Hope you can get some pain relief and that you're feeling better and up and around soon, Mathboy.
Thanks guys. This might require back surgery. It seems a vertebrae has slipped out of alignment, allowing the one above it to press on the nerves. The pain is the worst I have ever experienced. Nasty stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT