ADVERTISEMENT

Craig Young

LonestarBoilerFan

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2017
Article listing some sleeper recruits including Purdue targets, Craig Young and Jared Casey.

"The 6-foot-3, 200-pound Fort Wayne (Ind.) Wayne standout is fresh off a strong performance at Ohio State’s camp and the Buckeyes are trending on the 247Sports Crystal Ball. Young is a freak athlete with a high ceiling on the football field. He ran 10.58 at the state track meet a week ago, and could play anything from receiver to tight end to safety or linebacker on the next level. Young had two rushing scores, four touchdowns catches and three interceptions as a junior. He’s still raw but if it comes together he could be special. Other offers include Indiana and Purdue."

https://247sports.com/ContentGaller...ruits-worthy-of-more-hype-119026091/#915668_9

I am now guessing O$U but hoping for Purdue. Keep in mind this article was from 3 days ago so a commit could be coming any day now.

“They’re just rumors, they ain’t come from me. If it didn’t come from me, it’s probably not true. But I will be making my decision in the next two days, so just stay tuned. Two to a few days,” Young said. “It might just be a video or a graphic picture, but I’m gonna shock the world.”

https://www.landof10.com/ohio-state...otball-recruiting-craig-young-commitment-2019

What I can understand about Young was that it sounded like he was a lock just about a week and a half ago. He just needed the finish the video. Now, it seems like he is Ohio State's to lose. What happened over such a short amount of time? Just the allure of Ohio State?

What I can understand about Young was that it sounded like he was a lock just about a week and a half ago. He just needed the finish the video. Now, it seems like he is Ohio State's to lose. What happened over such a short amount of time? Just the allure of Ohio State?
Ohio State happened. Recruits always listen to OSU.

But, I do think it bodes well for us that he didn't commit on the spot. Not many kids can say "let me think about it" to Urban's face.

Ohio State happened. Recruits always listen to OSU.

But, I do think it bodes well for us that he didn't commit on the spot. Not many kids can say "let me think about it" to Urban's face.
I suspect he did commit on the spot. Just didn't want to announce it yet.

What happened? Young visited OSU. Purdue has lost a lot of commits to OSU after they visit OSU or attend their camps. Maybe that will change in the future. Maybe not.

I suspect he did commit on the spot. Just didn't want to announce it yet.
You may very well be right and most of me thinks he is O$U bound as well, but two things make me wonder if he will commit elsewhere:
1. He said before his O$U visit that a commitment video was coming soon
2. This quote, “It might just be a video or a graphic picture, but I’m gonna shock the world.” What would be more shocking to the world than committing somewhere else when O$U wants you?
Just food for thought.

Craig Young committed to Ohio State. As I asked earlier, what changed so quickly? On the June 5th Gold and Black Radio telecast, Brian was talking about someone who should announce any day to us and I wondered who it was. People on here said it was Young.

Young going to Ohio State. David Bell to us then? I would take that.

Young visited OSU on 14 April. Purdue gave Bilodeau an offer on 18 May.

both Purdue and OSU were offering young the opportunity to play TE, as Purdue was looking at other WRs, and signed a trio last year.

it appears obvious Brohm knew of Young's intent to go to OSU when he decided to start recruiting Bilodeau.

Reactions: pboiler18

both Purdue and OSU were offering young the opportunity to play TE, as Purdue was looking at other WRs, and signed a trio last year.

it appears obvious Brohm knew of Young's intent to go to OSU when he decided to start recruiting Bilodeau.

Lol not even close. Young was recruited as a WR at Purdue not TE. Bilodeau had nothing to do with Young.

OSU offered him to play defense not offense.

Lol not even close. Young was recruited as a WR at Purdue not TE. Bilodeau had nothing to do with Young.

OSU offered him to play defense not offense.

say what you believe. We read different scouting sources.

I know Young is listed as a WR. But I've also read because of his size , both schools were looking at him as a possible TE. With his commitment to OSU, Brohm went after somebody else to fil his TE needs.

looking at the amount of WRs currently on our roster, I can understand why both Young and Kirtz decided to look elsewhere.

I didn't say Bilodauux' signing affected Young. What I said was brohm knew Young was going elsewhere, so he started recruiting Bilodeaux. I have a feeling brohm knew Young was going to announce his decision before Bilodeaux committed.

I have no inside knowledge and I never read anything that stated what position we were recruiting him for; however, Land of Ten reported a while back that O$U was recruiting him as a TE. Obviously they changed there minds and began recruiting him for defense or recruited him for all those positions all along. They probably never promised any one position to him.

Can’t wait to beat the Luckeyes at Ross Ade 10.20.
We have beaten them more than any other program last 15 years

say what you believe. We read different scouting sources.

I know Young is listed as a WR. But I've also read because of his size , both schools were looking at him as a possible TE. With his commitment to OSU, Brohm went after somebody else to fil his TE needs.

looking at the amount of WRs currently on our roster, I can understand why both Young and Kirtz decided to look elsewhere.

I didn't say Bilodauux' signing affected Young. What I said was brohm knew Young was going elsewhere, so he started recruiting Bilodeaux. I have a feeling brohm knew Young was going to announce his decision before Bilodeaux committed.

I have no inside knowledge and I never read anything that stated what position we were recruiting him for; however, Land of Ten reported a while back that O$U was recruiting him as a TE. Obviously they changed there minds and began recruiting him for defense or recruited him for all those positions all along. They probably never promised any one position to him.

He was offered as a defensive athlete during the Bucks one day camp.

You're full of $hit again. OSU offered Young as a Safety. It's been reported in multiple places that this is the case. In fact, while at OSU's camp, Young worked ALL DAY as a Safety or LB.

I can understand why a player would have a tough time saying no to Urban Meyer. He's the gold standard for BIG coaches.

He was offered as a defensive athlete during the Bucks one day camp.

I agree with you that he worked out for their defensive coaches and was offered as a defender at camp; however, multiple articles leading up to this reported O$U recruiting him as a TE. I have no inside knowledge, but I can only imagine that during the recruiting process they spoke to him about several positions, TE being one of them. I read multiple articles here is one.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.la...iting-erick-all-tight-ends-faatui-tuitele/amp

You're full of $hit again. OSU offered Young as a Safety. It's been reported in multiple places that this is the case. In fact, while at OSU's camp, Young worked ALL DAY as a Safety or LB.

I can understand why a player would have a tough time saying no to Urban Meyer. He's the gold standard for BIG coaches.
You should probably cut Wolegib some slack. I do not believe at any time they offered him as a TE; however, it was reported that they recruited him as a TE.

I agree with you that he worked out for their defensive coaches and was offered as a defender at camp; however, multiple articles leading up to this reported O$U recruiting him as a TE. I have no inside knowledge, but I can only imagine that during the recruiting process they spoke to him about several positions, TE being one of them. I read multiple articles here is one.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.la...iting-erick-all-tight-ends-faatui-tuitele/amp
Old article. Craig Young himself said he's playing defense for OSU. If you had a premie account, you would have known this 3 days ago. Phone calls between GBI and recruits are not public knowledge. Brian only posts those on KHC.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Old article. Craig Young himself said he's playing defense for OSU. If you had a premie account, you would have known this 3 days ago. Phone calls between GBI and recruits are not public knowledge. Brian only posts those on KHC.
You are not reading my posts correctly and are being very argumentative. Try again.

Watch the movie blue chips.. there’s a scene where a kid gets a backpack or his dad gets a job or something... that’s how Ohio cash university does it

Watch the movie blue chips.. there’s a scene where a kid gets a backpack or his dad gets a job or something... that’s how Ohio cash university does it

If Urban Meyer came to me as a high school kid and said I would be something special on his team competing for national championships, it would be difficult to turn down. They have excellent facilities, excellent history, and one of the best college football coaches ever. I doubt they paid him off, they just told him what he wanted to hear.

If Urban Meyer came to me as a high school kid and said I would be something special on his team competing for national championships, it would be difficult to turn down. They have excellent facilities, excellent history, and one of the best college football coaches ever. I doubt they paid him off, they just told him what he wanted to hear.

Do you get a dollar under your pillow when you lose a tooth tic?

Look it’s not apples to apples... you’re a Wr and want to play wr in college. You’re offered by a coach with an excellent system to showcase you.

Then, here comes a school who gets 4 and 5 star linebackers WHO ARE ALREADY LINEBACKERS... and they tell you what you want to hear?

Am I saying I know that happened? No. Am I saying that if I found out it happened I wouldn’t be surprised. Absolutely

Reactions: Wolegib
Rather odd that this kid accepts a scholarship offer to play a position in college that he's never played in high school. I see a redshirt and lots of pine time in his future at O$U.

Soooooooo tell me how you really feel about me !!!!!! or were you holding back ?

Looking at Young's recruitment, my thoughts are based by national columnists, not by tweets. and the y are based on his entire recruitment process, not just a weekend. I understand half of this country believes tweets. I'm part of the other half.

Looking at Young's recruitment, he has been recruited by OSU for a long time, not just this weekend. he was first recruited as a WR. There was speculation because of his size, he might be able to play TE. This weekend it was tweeted that he was told he'd make a great LB and he was being recruited by OSU to play defense.

Sometimes, you have to listen to what TReed says ! Coaches LIE !!!! have to believe OSU kept bringing up different positions just to get him to commit.

Purdue got a commitment from Mauney. it was said the commitment was to play RB, not LB. however, if Purdue signs another RB, and doesn't sign another LB, I have a belief Mauney could switch to strong safety or linebacker .

the same is true with Young. he was originally recruited as a WR, but OSU obviously found some other WRs they liked, and had a shortage of LB commits. if OSU had depth at WR and LB, Young probably would have committed as a TE.

Look at Sparks. Look at baseball. You sign the athlete and after they are signed, you put them where you need them.

if brohm signs 2 more WRs, I could see Anderson easily switching to become a dback.

it's great that several tweets say Young committed to OSU to play LB. What happens when OSU signs that coveted 5* LB ? Does Young change his mind and decommit? or does he go back to becoming a WR/TE ?

What happens if Purdue signs RB Robinson? Does Mauney remain a RB ? or does he all of a sudden become a LB ? Does Mauney's signing mean Brohm gave up on recruiting Robinson? I highly doubt it.

Basically, you get commitments. You sort out their positions when they arrive at camp.

Soooooooo tell me how you really feel about me !!!!!! or were you holding back ?

Looking at Young's recruitment, my thoughts are based by national columnists, not by tweets. and the y are based on his entire recruitment process, not just a weekend. I understand half of this country believes tweets. I'm part of the other half.

Looking at Young's recruitment, he has been recruited by OSU for a long time, not just this weekend. he was first recruited as a WR. There was speculation because of his size, he might be able to play TE. This weekend it was tweeted that he was told he'd make a great LB and he was being recruited by OSU to play defense.

Sometimes, you have to listen to what TReed says ! Coaches LIE !!!! have to believe OSU kept bringing up different positions just to get him to commit.

Purdue got a commitment from Mauney. it was said the commitment was to play RB, not LB. however, if Purdue signs another RB, and doesn't sign another LB, I have a belief Mauney could switch to strong safety or linebacker .

the same is true with Young. he was originally recruited as a WR, but OSU obviously found some other WRs they liked, and had a shortage of LB commits. if OSU had depth at WR and LB, Young probably would have committed as a TE.

Look at Sparks. Look at baseball. You sign the athlete and after they are signed, you put them where you need them.

if brohm signs 2 more WRs, I could see Anderson easily switching to become a dback.

it's great that several tweets say Young committed to OSU to play LB. What happens when OSU signs that coveted 5* LB ? Does Young change his mind and decommit? or does he go back to becoming a WR/TE ?

What happens if Purdue signs RB Robinson? Does Mauney remain a RB ? or does he all of a sudden become a LB ? Does Mauney's signing mean Brohm gave up on recruiting Robinson? I highly doubt it.

Basically, you get commitments. You sort out their positions when they arrive at camp.
Nice backpedaling. Right, you followed his whole recruitment at OSU. So you disregard the most recent info on his recruitment, in which multiple sources say he was being recruited at OSU as a S and/or LB, in favor of info that is up to a year old. Makes complete sense - for you.

Nice backpedaling. Right, you followed his whole recruitment at OSU. So you disregard the most recent info on his recruitment, in which multiple sources say he was being recruited at OSU as a S and/or LB, in favor of info that is up to a year old. Makes complete sense - for you.

I didn't back pedal. I chose different sources to believe than you did. I chose actual scouting reports over tweets. and when the dust settles, I highly doubt Young plays a down at LB for OSU !

Remember back in 2002, Purdue got a WR by the name of Ray Williams. He was a gifted athlete and one who held a lot of offers from some pretty good programs at the time (Iowa, Rutgers, UNC, Virginia) and had contact with others based solely on his projection as a CB. He wanted to play WR only and Purdue offered him that chance...it’s what led to him coming to Purdue. It wasn’t until his senior year when he was pressed in to action as a CB that it was apparent he should have been there from the start. His length and athleticism would have been amazing as a DB.

Long story short: likely Meyer and his staff were able to show Craig that he might be a good WR but to get to the NFL, his best bet was at S or LB. kudos to Meyer and OSU for getting him to see their vision. It’s what sold some guys to Purdue already under Brohm.

Reactions: Frankie611
Some of these folks are not completely rational. Conspiracy theories abound. My favorite is Urban Meyer "LIED" to Young and told him he would play LB "just to get him to commit", when in reality Urban plans to play him at WR because... Who the hell knows why.

Who. Thinks. That. Way.????

Yet another pointless discussion with Wolegib. None of this matters - Craig Young is headed to O$U to play football until further notice.

As a fellow Fort Wayne guy I am happy that this kid will have a chance to get a 4 year degree and/or likely a pro career. I know a lot of people who know this kid personally. Saying he took money or is being lied to is irresponsible. I really wish we had got him but is it really that far fetched that he wants to go to Ohio state? I hate them as much as the next guy but they have a good program and a good stable coach. Let it go and be happy that we are starting to land kids who have big time offers. Do you think OSU fans say this stuff when a guy picks Purdue if they had an OSU offer?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT