ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to iu.

I can't prove this but I've suspected for several years Purdue has had success getting good big guys and basing their strategy on the low post largely because that's *not* what everyone else is doing. If Duke, Kansas, or Kentucky had wanted Hammons, Haas, Haarms, or Edey, do you think they could not have claimed them over us? It's a smart strategy - when everyone else "zigs", you "zag". However, it does have its downsides at times.

I think this is absolutely right and I think its a smart move by Painter.

I do think it could be good to try to broaden or transition that strategy over time, and maybe he has/is doing that.

Virginia did it because it had an NBA/professional level backcourt in Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome, along with Deandre Hunter (in the NBA) and Diakite.

The Baby Boilers, Carsen, even Carl Landry have had as much success in the NBA as those guys. Not to mention Ivey. I don’t see it as a relevant difference.

Anyways you are ignoring my point which was— regardless of specific players, many said that Virginia’s system was not capable of winning the tournament, yet they did it.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
ADVERTISEMENT