ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to iu.

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
Congrats to iu.

JHS was amazing. Kid is a pro, & was easily the best player on the floor and played the game of his life. But Galloway also played his heart out tonight in one of his best games this year. And that shouldn't be overlooked. Nice game by iu.

Purdue was just awful in H2 on both sides of the ball. They couldn't beat the little sisters of the poor tonight with that shooting, sloppy play and woeful D. Loss is more on them than anything iu did, save JHS.. Got to stop allowing these 38+ halves by opponents.....woeful D. Team loss.

Hopefully, this will wake Purdue up. Time to get going & win the B10. Time to be champions!

Last edited:
I was just astounded at how terrible our shooting was tonight. Just awful.

Painter won’t be happy with the selection I don’t think.

And regarding JHS, some people in the other thread were down on Morton for guarding him, but from an analytics standpoint it seemed like we made him do what we wanted for the most part. Many of his makes were low difficult 2s, a lot of pullups.

The won’t wake up. An early tourney exit is in store for Painter the dipstick. He’ll keep recruiting 5’10” unathletic guards though.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
If you saw my pregame post, I was worried about another 15% shooting night from three. They shot 21% , but hit a few when game was over. This game had a huge build up in Purdue land, Purdue rarely plays well in these type of games. It is something fans are used to, but hold out hope they might break through.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

And regarding JHS, some people in the other thread were down on Morton for guarding him, but from an analytics standpoint it seemed like we made him do what we wanted for the most part. Many of his makes were low difficult 2s, a lot of pullups.
our shot selection was pretty good and Mat said that also, just gotta have the balls to step up and make them.

Reactions: dayhr11
The won’t wake up. An early tourney exit is in store for Painter the dipstick. He’ll keep recruiting 5’10” unathletic guards though.
I’ll never understand Purdue fans being down on Matt Painter. He has easily been one of the top 10 coaches in college basketball in his time at WL.

Keady was great. Painter is even better.

** And I do realize that most Purdue fans don’t feel this way. Nobody should.

If you saw my pregame post, I was worried about another 15% shooting night from three. They shot 21% , but hit a few when game was over. This game had a huge build up in Purdue land, Purdue rarely plays well in these type of games. It is something fans are used to, but hold out hope they might break through.
reminds me when Duke came to town w/ Kyle Singer

As with other quick, athletic guards this year, Morton couldn’t stay with or in front of JHS. He would make moves and then blow by Morton but pull up before he got to Zach. Most of those pull up jumpers were basically uncontested.

Newman did a much better job getting into him, and particularly making him give up the ball and then denying him from getting it back.

I’ll never understand Purdue fans being down on Matt Painter. He has easily been one of the top 10 coaches in college basketball in his time at WL.
Keady was great. Painter is even better.

** And I do realize that most Purdue fans don’t feel this way. Nobody should.
Because for as good of a coach he is, his system is not set up for deep tournament runs.

our shot selection was pretty good and Mat said that also, just gotta have the balls to step up and make them.
My sense is that they were tight. Most of the threes were wide open and the free throws obviously were.

I seen where Indiana and Purdue players and people were going back to the locker room through the same tunnel? And no fights... Almost like Michigan and Michigan State could learn something.

Be

Because for as good of a coach he is, his system is not set up for deep tournament runs.
In what way? I don’t even know what this is supposed to mean.

Just because he hasn’t cut down the nets, despite consistently good/great performances in tough B10 play, that means it’s because of his system?

If that’s the case, how did his 2019 team come within an inch or two of the FF?

As soon as he does get there — and he will — this senseless talk will disappear in an instant.

Appreciate what you’ve got. Seriously. Most programs in the NCAA would kill to have a coach who puts out the product MP does as consistently as he does.

Just because he hasn’t cut down the nets, despite consistently good/great performances in tough B10 play, that means it’s because of his system?

As soon as he does get there — and he will — this senseless talk will disappear in an instant.

Appreciate what you’ve got. Seriously. Most programs in the NCAA would kill to have a coach who puts out the product MP does as consistently as he does.
If you make the sweet 16 more often than not, and CMP has been recently, you will eventually win 2 regional games in a row.

What system is?

JMHO..... it could be if he has all the pieces/players and they play connected. He does have a player unlike anyone else right now (Zach Edey), which does help. He doesn't have a lock-down defender - he has some good ones, and Ethan Morton is his most versatile....a little more size/athleticism on the wing - yeah that would help, too. This year is going to ultimately depend if they make enough shots and don't have panic turnovers, IMO. No Carsen Edwards/Jaden Ivey for sure.....but there are some players who can get hot for a game or two.

I still like what Painter is building and trying to put together - and some of the recruits already committed and/or still in play for Purdue.

Will they eventually break through? It's easy to say never until it happens.....keep knocking on the door......but who knows for sure?

As I've said before.......they're stuck with me when I chose to get a Purdue degree.

If you make the sweet 16 more often than not, and CMP has been recently, you will eventually win 2 regional games in a row.
Well, exactly. It’s going to happen for him. I have zero doubt about that. It might even be this year.

I guess it’s just easy to lose sight of the big picture after an emotional loss - especially when it’s during a tough stretch in the dog days of the conference schedule.

But take a deep breath and a few steps back…and realize that there aren’t that many teams that wouldn’t trade places with Purdue during the Painter era.

And, the best news for Boiler fans is, it’s probably far from over. He’s still got a lot of years of coaching left. I’d be surprised if he hasn’t hung at least one banner by the time he hangs it up.

The 2019 team was an anomaly. Built entirely different. Wasn’t predicated on post play/throwing it into a big man.

Carsen was the difference. A guard who could create and get his own shot. Just like JHS did today for IU.

Well Woodson kept going to the high ball screen and we couldn’t or wouldn’t stop it. I would say that’s pretty good coaching- keep doing it until they stop it. And he also has better guards though 32 kept grabbing Smith and getting away with it

• Haha
Reactions: Vern Pain
Well Woodson kept going to the high ball screen and we couldn’t or wouldn’t stop it. I would say that’s pretty good coaching- keep doing it until they stop it. And he also has better guards though 32 kept grabbing Smith and getting away with it
Easy to do when you have an NBA level player like JHS. Wish Purdue could get more guys like that.

JHS isn’t as explosive as Ivey, but he’s way more polished than Ivey was. Damn impressive.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
Well, exactly. It’s going to happen for him. I have zero doubt about that. It might even be this year.

I guess it’s just easy to lose sight of the big picture after an emotional loss - especially when it’s during a tough stretch in the dog days of the conference schedule.

But take a deep breath and a few steps back…and realize that there aren’t that many teams that wouldn’t trade places with Purdue during the Painter era.

And, the best news for Boiler fans is, it’s probably far from over. He’s still got a lot of years of coaching left. I’d be surprised if he hasn’t hung at least one banner by the time he hangs it up.
B1G is a looooong season. Lots of up’s and downs, and pretty much every team has had them now.

Now we gotta root for Maryland against Northwestern.

Then in a couple weeks, get in the tournament and win the first game…

The 2019 team was an anomaly. Built entirely different. Wasn’t predicated on post play/throwing it into a big man.

Carsen was the difference. A guard who could create and get his own shot. Just like JHS did today for IU.
If so, then it’s more about Jimmies and Joes than X’s and O’s.

I guess what I don’t get is the delineation between a team that consistently competes at the upper levels of one of the toughest conferences in the game and one that can “make a deep tourney run.”

So, beyond just Purdue, why has the B10 in general seemed to underperform in the tourney? The conference’s last champion was MSU in 2000.

I don’t really know. I’m not sure there is a defensible reason. I’m just saying that there’s no reason for any Purdue fan to say what steakman said above about Painter. The guy is a terrific coach. Probably the best in the conference - very much including Izzo.

If so, then it’s more about Jimmies and Joes than X’s and O’s.

I guess what I don’t get is the delineation between a team that consistently competes at the upper levels of one of the toughest conferences in the game and one that can “make a deep tourney run.”

So, beyond just Purdue, why has the B10 in general seemed to underperform in the tourney? The conference’s last champion was MSU in 2000.

I don’t really know. I’m not sure there is a defensible reason. I’m just saying that there’s no reason for any Purdue fan to say what steakman said above about Painter. The guy is a terrific coach. Probably the best in the conference - very much including Izzo.
He is a terrific coach. I don’t argue that.

But it’s also true that Purdue hasn’t made a Final Four since 1980.

It’s also true that Purdue is probably the only team in the B1G that revolves its entire offense around throwing it into the post.

I mean, just this week an article was written about how Purdue is ‘big Man U.’

That’s a strategy by Purdue. In the article, Brantley was quoted as saying that Purdue purposely structures its roster to do just that. It’s Purdue’s system, and the system Purdue prioritizes dictates the recruits (I.e. the jimmy’s and Joe’s) it gets.

It’s not a coincidence that the one Purdue team that came seconds from a Final Four was NOT predicated on throwing it into the post.

Painter is a great coach, but this system of throwing it into a big man down low simply has its limitations come March/tournament time.

It’s also true that Purdue is probably the only team in the B1G that revolves its entire offense around throwing it into the post.

That’s a strategy by Purdue. In the article, Brantley was quoted as saying that Purdue purposely structures its roster to do just that. It’s Purdue’s system, and the system Purdue prioritizes dictates the recruits (I.e. the jimmy’s and Joe’s) it gets.

It’s not a coincidence that the one Purdue team that came seconds from a Final Four was NOT predicated on throwing it into the post.

Painter is a great coach, but this system of throwing it into a big man down low simply has its limitations come March/tournament time.
Not if your big man is a good and willing passer and have some guys who can get open and knock down open jumpers against collapsing defenses.

You have that, then having a dominant big man is a nightmare for opposing defenses.

I seem to remember people saying that about Virginia’s slow paced, plodding system that resulted in low scoring games that Virginia would eek out. But they did it.

I think Painter will continue to evolve, and his system with him. We have a good thing going and I’m sure it will be improved upon.

I am also surprised by the poor shooting, but I'm not sure why - the team hasn't shot well since November, except for a handful of games (and one amazing game by Gillis).

We're starting to look a lot like how I thought we might before the season started. Maybe someone can hypnotize Loyer, Gillis, and Furst and make them think it's November again. :D

Statistically, everything went our way except the things that matter - putting the ball through the hoop. Good god, JHS goes for 35, IU shoots 51%, 47% from three, and makes 83% of their free throws. Turnovers were about even, Purdue crushed IU on the boards, but shot 35%, 22%(!) from three, and only hit 67% of their free throws. F***ing ball game, right there. God, this has become frustrating. I think the early season successes make this even more disappointing. I guess the team is still less frustrating than last season's squad, but last year we had some tournament hope because we had a potential "magic bullet" in Ivey.

Reactions: DannyGranger

I can't prove this but I've suspected for several years Purdue has had success getting good big guys and basing their strategy on the low post largely because that's *not* what everyone else is doing. If Duke, Kansas, or Kentucky had wanted Hammons, Haas, Haarms, or Edey, do you think they could not have claimed them over us? It's a smart strategy - when everyone else "zigs", you "zag". However, it does have its downsides at times.

Unfortunately, the successes we've found using Edey also seems to require him to get the ball a lot. Even having Ivey last season really seemed to limit Edey's effectiveness (although, I admit, Edey definitely improved in between last season and this season, which was surely also a factor in the difference).

Having said all that, I also still think Loyer and Smith will be great for us with a little more experience.

I really hope we can beat Wisconsin or Illinois. Neither game will be easy, I'm afraid.

I seem to remember people saying that about Virginia’s slow paced, plodding system that resulted in low scoring games that Virginia would eek out. But they did it.

I think Painter will continue to evolve, and his system with him. We have a good thing going and I’m sure it will be improved upon.
Virginia did it because it had an NBA/professional level backcourt in Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome, along with Deandre Hunter (in the NBA) and Diakite.

Not if your big man is a good and willing passer and have some guys who can get open and knock down open jumpers against collapsing defenses.

You have that, then having a dominant big man is a nightmare for opposing defenses.
That’s not enough, unfortunately. Eventually, you need someone who can create his own shot (like Carsen), and Purdue doesn’t have that.

Why does Painter insist on a "system" that is hard to recruit long, athletic guards?

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by the poor shooting from the 2 or 3 position. Purdue's guards not named Smith are now shooting 35.9% overall and 32% from 3. That's Loyer, Newman, Morton and Jenkins.

Its time to face up to what the evidence is suggesting. Purdue is a good because of Edey.

If Edey where to transfer to any other B1G school (other than maybe Minnesota) they'd instantly be a top 10 team next year. I'm not saying he'd transfer, I'm just saying that's the impact he has on the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT