ADVERTISEMENT

Comments like this...

Ah yes, the old, "I'm going to take this paraphrased comment on Twitter and inject an assumed meaning to make my point". Always a classic.
It's comments he made to G&B, posted by G&B... not just some paraphrased comment on twitter. I've always thought that about him.... if you don't agree, then that's your right. He's the one that made the quote.

It's comments he made to G&B, posted by G&B... not just some paraphrased comment on twitter. I've always thought that about him.... if you don't agree, then that's your right. He's the one that made the quote.
Here is the full comment from the press conference:

"For the most part, comparing last year to this year, it's a lot better. Our guys were getting killed last year. That's just the way it is. We just accepted it and tried to play. But with that, their not going how the rules are written".

In the context of the full quote, and with comments I've heard from him previously, the implication is that it's frustrating, but at the end of the day, your guys have to just play basketball. Painter talks to the B1G office frequently about officiating but the last thing any coach should want is his players letting poor officiating impact their play. Personally, i think that makes guys tougher rather than softer. Players who whine about every questionable call are weak minded IMO.

Here is the full comment from the press conference:

"For the most part, comparing last year to this year, it's a lot better. Our guys were getting killed last year. That's just the way it is. We just accepted it and tried to play. But with that, their not going how the rules are written".

In the context of the full quote, and with comments I've heard from him previously, the implication is that it's frustrating, but at the end of the day, your guys have to just play basketball. Painter talks to the B1G office frequently about officiating but the last thing any coach should want is his players letting poor officiating impact their play. Personally, i think that makes guys tougher rather than softer. Players who whine about every questionable call are weak minded IMO.
I stand by my statement... even more so. To your point, CMP needs to talk to the officials, not the B1G office. I'm not asking the players to "whine" or complain, I'm asking the coach to do it for them.

Reactions: nagemj02
I stand by my statement... even more so. To your point, CMP needs to talk to the officials, not the B1G office. I'm not asking the players to "whine" or complain, I'm asking the coach to do it for them.

You've made the claim that this team is "soft", but you have yet to adequately explain the reasoning behind such a claim. Is this the "Painter should be more like Keady in dealing with officials during the game" argument?

I know many on here want Painter to work the officials harder. I for one, think Painter acts like an adult on the sideline and I appreciate that.
As an IU fan that has to watch Crean look... "odd"... (I'll just leave it at that)... for 40 minutes/game, I totally agree with you. There is something to be said for a coach that can control himself and looks the part of a professional in doing his job.

IIRC Painter had to take his case about how the Refs were calling the game to the BIG office to get a change. Working individual refs did no good. Painter took a tape of the abuse given to his centers to the BIG to have corrections be systematically made across all games. It helped. That is all Painter is talking about here. We all might be reading more into this than it really contains.

:cool:

IIRC Painter had to take his case about how the Refs were calling the game to the BIG office to get a change. Working individual refs did no good. Painter took a tape of the abuse given to his centers to the BIG to have corrections be systematically made across all games. It helped. That is all Painter is talking about here. We all might be reading more into this than it really contains.

:cool:

So he used evidence to support his case and influenced positive change as a result. Imagine that!

As an IU fan that has to watch Crean look... "odd"... (I'll just leave it at that)... for 40 minutes/game, I totally agree with you. There is something to be said for a coach that can control himself and looks the part of a professional in doing his job.
But I'll bet you did not complain when Knight was their.

You've made the claim that this team is "soft", but you have yet to adequately explain the reasoning behind such a claim. Is this the "Painter should be more like Keady in dealing with officials during the game" argument?
I guess so... I've seen a few times where Isaac has come over to the bench complaining about a call against him and seen CMP tell him to sit down. I just would really like to see some emotion out of him like GK did. People on here make fun of or complain about Izzo's antics, but they work.

Honest question out of curiosity: In what manner/context do you want to see Painter address officials during games? I live in New England so I have not been to any games in person, but I have observed him talking/complaining to officials in just about every game this season - and that's just when he happens to be in range of the cameras.

Do you want Painter to twirl and chuck his jacket?

Do you want him to deliberately pick up a technical(s) that might result in a loss and/or him being kicked out?

Do you want him to act like Tom Izzo?
th

Seriously, I'm not trolling...just want to get an idea of how you think Painter should comport himself on the sideline.

Speaking of which, how can Crean be 4-5 feet onto the floor at any given moment and never get a T? I don't know if I've seen any other coach out on the floor as much as him.

Reactions: Statey
Honest question out of curiosity: In what manner/context do you want to see Painter address officials during games? I live in New England so I have not been to any games in person, but I have observed him talking/complaining to officials in just about every game this season - and that's just when he happens to be in range of the cameras.

Do you want him to deliberately pick up a technical(s) that might result in a loss and/or him being kicked out?

th

Seriously, I'm not trolling...just want to get an idea of how you think Painter should comport himself on the sideline.
Please for all that is holy, don't act like Izzo. He is a complete ass hat on the sidelines (gets away with way too much). He comes across with the media with all that "aw shucks" attitude and then acts like a jerk during the game.

I would like to see Painter a little more passionate on the sideline, but he is staying within his personality and that is fine with me.

th

I would like to see him more in the faces of the officials like Izzo or McCaffery. I watch every Purdue game, sat for several years in the 4th row, just off the end of the Purdue bench and rarly have I seen CMP complain, and when he does, it's more of a conversation than an argument..... Maybe I'm alone here, but he just doesn't work the refs, which all successful coaches do... Ryan, Izzo, Knight, Keady, etc...

I'm not sure how anything in either the tweet or the full quotation suggests Purdue is soft.

Painter said our guys were getting killed last year and the team tried to play through it. What else, really, were they going to do? He also noted that the officiating has been better this year.

I would like to see him more in the faces of the officials like Izzo or McCaffery. I watch every Purdue game, sat for several years in the 4th row, just off the end of the Purdue bench and rarly have I seen CMP complain, and when he does, it's more of a conversation than an argument..... Maybe I'm alone here, but he just doesn't work the refs, which all successful coaches do... Ryan, Izzo, Knight, Keady, etc...
Disagree completely that he doesn't work the refs. As others have said he has been shown on TV doing it virtually every game and I've heard (and referenced it at the time) announcers commenting on it. So it DOES happen.. just not to the jacket throwing crying method that others do.

And it seems to work. .. there have been plenty of times that it was mentioned in game threads where he was "working" the refs and it resulted in a call in our favor.

I am fine with how he handles himself personally, it works for his personality IMO.

I would like to see Painter more animated especially at home. It does wonders for the crowd.

I think he should take off his jacket and twirl it around .... then throw it on the ground and yell at it to move ... because "move" is the best coaching motivation there is.

Reactions: *4purdue*

th

I personally prefer some visual fire from a coach from time to time. In fairness there are successful coaches that do not provide a visual fire during a game. I heard it said more than once (one time "probably" goes back to Bob Macy) that a coach needs to coach his personality. I think the "personal fire" a coach may provide is like the "personal calmness" a coach may provide when it is close and things are not good and you are trying to keep a calmness in the team and a certain confidence as well.

Speaking of which, how can Crean be 4-5 feet onto the floor at any given moment and never get a T? I don't know if I've seen any other coach out on the floor as much as him.
until players run into him and fall down or draw attention, nothing will happen and he moves out of their way when they get close to prevent that. It does make the court smaller...

I am with 4Purdue 100% on this. Painter does need to be more animated and get on the refs more. He needs to get technicals at home to drive the crowd into a frenzy pitch so they get on the refs. Am I the only one who thought we got absolutely hosed at home against Michigan State, hosed nearly to death. Early in the game when the refs were crapping on Purdue, Painter should have waited until a questionable call gave Michigan State the ball and he should have blown up; yes, throw his coat or something that obvious and loud. Maybe it is just selective memory, but I don't remember a Keady team ever being screwed like we too often are getting screwed at home now against the name schools in the Big Ten. Does anyone agree with me that we were jobbed at home vs. Michigan State? I remember a guy posting that he couldn't understand how Painter didn't get a tech.

Don't say it doesn't matter how much the crowd and the home coach get on the refs. It absolutely matters; we have all seen it ourselves. Plus, there is research on this topic. I posted a link on here a couple years ago about how loud, intense crowds affect the ball and strike calls in the home team's favor during late innings of a MLB baseball games. But it has to be a loud crowd that is into the game. We all complain how Izzo and Ryan are such asses for being on the refs; well, it's seems to be working out pretty well for them.

When it comes to coaches getting on the refs, the squeaky wheel absolutely gets the grease, but it has to be done intelligently. You are naïve if you don't think that is true. And I, for one, is tired of watching Painter too passively watching us get screwed at home by bigger name schools in our conference. Let's make fun of Keady for throwing his coat, but then let's count his Big Ten titles.

I am with 4Purdue 100% on this. Painter does need to be more animated and get on the refs more. He needs to get technicals at home to drive the crowd into a frenzy pitch so they get on the refs. Am I the only one who thought we got absolutely hosed at home against Michigan State, hosed nearly to death. Early in the game when the refs were crapping on Purdue, Painter should have waited until a questionable call gave Michigan State the ball and he should have blown up; yes, throw his coat or something that obvious and loud. Maybe it is just selective memory, but I don't remember a Keady team ever being screwed like we too often are getting screwed at home now against the name schools in the Big Ten. Does anyone agree with me that we were jobbed at home vs. Michigan State? I remember a guy posting that he couldn't understand how Painter didn't get a tech.

Don't say it doesn't matter how much the crowd and the home coach get on the refs. It absolutely matters; we have all seen it ourselves. Plus, there is research on this topic. I posted a link on here a couple years ago about how loud, intense crowds affect the ball and strike calls in the home team's favor during late innings of a MLB baseball games. But it has to be a loud crowd that is into the game. We all complain how Izzo and Ryan are such asses for being on the refs; well, it's seems to be working out pretty well for them.

When it comes to coaches getting on the refs, the squeaky wheel absolutely gets the grease, but it has to be done intelligently. You are naïve if you don't think that is true. And I, for one, is tired of watching Painter too passively watching us get screwed at home by bigger name schools in our conference. Let's make fun of Keady for throwing his coat, but then let's count his Big Ten titles.
I hope you don't think I was making fun of Keady for throwing his coat. That's Coach Keady. It's his personality and I loved it. I think if Matt Painter did something like that it would look totally contrived and awkward because it doesn't seem to be his personality.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
But I'll bet you did not complain when Knight was their.
Frankly, I'm a little unclear with where you're taking this... I said I'd rather have Painter's sideline mannerisms than Crean's... I'm unclear what Knight has to do with anything. But no, I didn't have a problem with Knight - then.

That said, I'd also point out that the days of the Knight, Keady, and others going borderline crazy on the bench are (nearly) a thing of the past. Times have changed... a lot. The B1G doesn't want that kind of negative attention and/or responsibility of policing questionable behavior, neither does the NCAA, especially in this super-sensitive and social media world we live in. Whether expressly stated to the refs to tighten this up over the years, I don't know. But I do know coaches get away with a lot less than those 2 guys did in their heyday.

Case in point: several days back, Tim Miles was squatting down on the sidelines and reacted to a call he didn't like by smacking his hand on the court. It was a little silly looking (and was made into a memo of him being a referee for professional wrestling), but not something you'd look at and say "this guy is out of control". Nonetheless, he got T'd up for it.

Frankly, I'm a little unclear with where you're taking this... I said I'd rather have Painter's sideline mannerisms than Crean's... I'm unclear what Knight has to do with anything. But no, I didn't have a problem with Knight - then.

That said, I'd also point out that the days of the Knight, Keady, and others going borderline crazy on the bench are (nearly) a thing of the past. Times have changed... a lot. The B1G doesn't want that kind of negative attention and/or responsibility of policing questionable behavior, neither does the NCAA, especially in this super-sensitive and social media world we live in. Whether expressly stated to the refs to tighten this up over the years, I don't know. But I do know coaches get away with a lot less than those 2 guys did in their heyday.

Case in point: several days back, Tim Miles was squatting down on the sidelines and reacted to a call he didn't like by smacking his hand on the court. It was a little silly looking (and was made into a memo of him being a referee for professional wrestling), but not something you'd look at and say "this guy is out of control". Nonetheless, he got T'd up for it.
Knight invented working the refs and blowing up on the sidelines. You only don't like Crean because he hasn't won. What you are saying, by saying you didn't mind Knight or Keady is that they were winners. IMO, Crean doesn't work the refs enough either. Crean is just psyco looking on the sidelines. Dude, I wouldn't allow my kids around someone like that.

not advocating for or against a coach having some fire, but your comments above are a magnification of the pussification going on in this country (not that you are) as a side to the Cultural Marxism on so many fronts. Again, Miles actions and T would rarely be found in the archives :)

Reactions: Hoogolf
This thread is mountains of stupid. So the OP is so out of things to whine about that this is really a topic on here?

Give me a break all of you wanting Painter to cry more like Izzo. Have you run out of things to nitpick about that this is all you can some up with? Seriously, it's a giant pile of stupidity to whine about this.

Reactions: mathboy
Knight invented working the refs and blowing up on the sidelines. You only don't like Crean because he hasn't won. What you are saying, by saying you didn't mind Knight or Keady is that they were winners. IMO, Crean doesn't work the refs enough either. Crean is just psyco looking on the sidelines. Dude, I wouldn't allow my kids around someone like that.
Henry Ford invented the Model-T, but we're not all driving one of those around because it was best car of its era. Similarly, Knight was the best coach of his era but that environment has changed as well... his on-court behavior would probably be intolerable and a nightmare for an AD in today's world.

Painter acts like a professional on the sidelines and I complimented him for that - or at least, that was the intention of my earlier post.

Lastly, don't pretend to know why I do, or do not, like Crean.

Reactions: Hoogolf
Squeaky wheel gets the grease. If Painter is not upset and really getting on the refs they think they are doing a good job of officiating on the Purdue side of things.big mistake as Purdue can't even get a home court advantage most of the time

Yep, not working the refs is why we are 8th in the league lol. No other variables involved.
Didn't say that... But do you really want me to start another thread about how we don't make adjustments and give 2nd half leads away like candy?

Didn't say that... But do you really want me to start another thread about how we don't make adjustments and give 2nd half leads away like candy?
I DO I DO! I would love the opportunity to yet again call you on something you have no clue about. How do you KNOW there weren't any adjustments? Because there clearly were, like when people are switched off to another player to guard or when a different lineup is in and so on and so on. Those are little things called ADJUSTMENTS, you may want to look up what that term means.

This is what I love about you negative nitwits you only see what you want to see just so you can post about it here. The problem for all of you is what you see is clouded by ignorance and not one lick of understanding of how the game is played or coached or anything tangible other than saying HEY IT WORKED WHEN I DID IT ON MADDEN SO IT MUST WORK IN REAL LIFE.

Here let me summarize it for you so you might understand: Top 20 team, 20 plus win season, potential 5 seed or better in the NCAA tourney. So yeah, all your whining and crying about Painter is unfounded, without merit and just full of stupidity.

You freakin tools need a new hobby and to take something for you PMS.

until players run into him and fall down or draw attention, nothing will happen and he moves out of their way when they get close to prevent that. It does make the court smaller...

I noticed this against Purdue, wish they would T him up for it

I also agree that Painter needs to work the refs at times - more for his players than affecting officiating. His players clearly try to do what he asks of them. I think when a coach, at times, stands up for his players to questionable calls with the refs, it let's them know that he has their back. To keep fighting and playing the way he is coaching them. To go for it and play hard. It builds faith and cohesiveness.

A coach that never complains to the refs, even during horrible calls, sends the micro message that the players are on their own to figure it out and deal with it. That is what I don't like about NEVER working the refs, which Painter seems to do. I don't think he needs the Keady jacket toss or something to that extreme, but - for God's sake - stand up for your guys!

I also think this type of attitude from Painter is partially why guys are so freakin' scared to shoot or screw up. It doesn't helps the team. Just my 2 cents.

A coach should not pin losses on officiating. If they do maybe once or twice a season. Step up and take the blame, teams prepare to not get the calls on the road and when the calls don't go their way it can't be their excuse.

If you don't think Painter talks to the officials, you aren't watching Purdue basketball games.
I don't think you are watching Purdue basketball games. If we were "getting killed" by the officials last year, don't you think we would have seen a few technical fouls on the sideline, or at least arguments on the sidelines that ignite the crowd? "getting killed" are pretty strong words for a coach to use. I would think it would show in his mannerism on the sidelines, which it clearly did not.
Looked to me that he was more like his quote "We just accepted it and tried to play"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT