ADVERTISEMENT

CMP Salary Increases? Should Be a Final 4 Bonus...

And, it amounted to what? What did that translate to against St. Peter's?

The numbers were SO inflated by the blowouts leading up to conference play...go back and look at Purdue in conference games and post-season games against legit/quality teams...those efficiency numbers were not there.

Never mind the complete obvious...once more for that matter...they did not win anything of significance aside of a pre-season tournament with it, but, hey, hang a banner for being really efficient I guess offensively (while completely sucking at the other end of the floor...an entirely different topic and matter).
It lead to a 3 seed and third place finish in the Big Ten last year. Not to mention our first #1 ranking in the history of our program.

Over the last 6 years its lead to multiple Big Ten Championships, 4 Sweet 16s, an elite 8, a Big Ten Coach of the Year award, and a National Coach of the Year award.

But Hunter had no genuine interest, and, DGL literally is not going there...for the reasons so many have already cited and that you somehow continue to miss or grasp. The ONLY reason Pack had interest was once again his ties to the area, and, his ties via Weber as well to Painter...absent those, he never ever would have considered Purdue.

Coincidence or not that Purdue's deepest run in the NCAA was with one of those two, and, that the next best chance likely was with the other (and, that its best chances previously included a 3rd All-American in the vastly underrated E'Twaun Moore).

Me...just being me...I might take note of that/those, and, focus on the importance of it...but, assuming that may have happened, it is the next step that is greatly lacking unfortunately....getting guys like that to actually come to Purdue...and, that is only going to be increasingly difficult now with NIL.
So Hunter took an official visit, but had no interest? And DGL literally committed to the program, but had NO interest?

WAIT!!! Someone needs to tell Painter that our teams are better when we have All-American guards!!! I can’t believe he can’t see that! We would have a good chance at the Final 4 if we signed multiple All-American guards a year!!!

I would always expect us to have an efficient offense if we're primarily going through the post. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to translate to victories in march.
It doesn’t? Can you list the coaches with the most tournament wins over the last 6 years? Think you may be surprised how high Painter is on that list.

The makeup of this back court reminds me of 2019 with a sophomore Hunter Jr. averaging 30+ mpg out of necessity.

2019-202022-23
Hunter Jr. (So)Newman (R-So)
Sasha (So)Morton (Jr)
Proctor (5th)Jenkins (6th)
Eastern (Jr)Loyer (Fr)
Thompson (Fr)Smith (Fr)

Fortunately the 2022-23 front court should be well ahead of 2019-20. We'll muddle through this season and in 2023 Colvin will be our next stud guard to make for a potentially scary good team.
I wouldn't argue with that comparison. Either way, not an ideal situation

Reactions: DAG10
It lead to a 3 seed and third place finish in the Big Ten last year. Not to mention our first #1 ranking in the history of our program.

Over the last 6 years its lead to multiple Big Ten Championships, 4 Sweet 16s, an elite 8, a Big Ten Coach of the Year award, and a National Coach of the Year award.
Multiple being used in the absolute loosest and strictest meaning of the word...more so when one considers that the two best teams during that time failed to win it.

I am in the minority no doubt, but, while a Sweet 16 is certainly nice, when you lose every time there but once, I have a hard time getting as excited about it as I apparently should be.

The COTY honors are virtually completely meaningless...he has done a better job at times when he did not win it, and, it is far more a popularity contest anyway. Never mind, irrelevant with respect to winning games and meaningful ones...I would trade either for a single FF appearance, and, gladly trade both for having played for a National Championship....heck, I would trade both to have just capitalized on all of your first paragraph opposed to losing to St. Peter's which may be the most epic choke ever for Purdue...an accomplishment in its own rite.

Reactions: purduepat1969
It doesn’t? Can you list the coaches with the most tournament wins over the last 6 years? Think you may be surprised how high Painter is on that list.
Without even looking, I can tell you one that may be on it that has never coached in a Final Four.

Multiple being used in the absolute loosest and strictest meaning of the word...more so when one considers that the two best teams during that time failed to win it.

I am in the minority no doubt, but, while a Sweet 16 is certainly nice, when you lose every time there but once, I have a hard time getting as excited about it as I apparently should be.

The COTY honors are virtually completely meaningless...he has done a better job at times when he did not win it, and, it is far more a popularity contest anyway. Never mind, irrelevant with respect to winning games and meaningful ones...I would trade either for a single FF appearance, and, gladly trade both for having played for a National Championship....heck, I would trade both to have just capitalized on all of your first paragraph opposed to losing to St. Peter's which may be the most epic choke ever for Purdue...an accomplishment in its own rite.
So we’ve won a Big Ten Championship twice in the last 6 years, and you are claiming that we had the talent to win it 2 other times, yet you think Painter doesn’t get enough talent? Got it.

I would trade all 6 Sweet 16s and the Elite 8 for a Final 4, but that isn’t how it works.

Is Nijel Pack an elite guard? What about Tyrese Hunter? What guards that we offered showed “no interest” in playing here?

So I guess Carsen Edwards, Jaden Ivey, and Myles Colvin don’t count as elite guards. Was DGL an elite guard?
Carsen Edwards and Jaden Ivey were both under the radar players that weren't considered elite guards coming out of high school.
Nigel Pack, Tyrese Hunter, and DGL have all chosen not to play at Purdue. Having interest is a lot different than actually committing and showing up on campus. Hell, even Xavier Booker had Purdue in it's top 5. But we all knew he wasn't coming to Purdue.

Its almost like moral victories are what you're hanging your hat on. We almost made a Final Four. We almost had Nigel Pack, Tyrese Hunter, and DGL. So Painter must be a top 10 or 15 coach for all those reasons. I'm guessing you have a bunch of participation ribbons and trophies in the bedroom your mom keeps for you for all those things you almost won or did....

Carsen Edwards and Jaden Ivey were both under the radar players that weren't considered elite guards coming out of high school.
Nigel Pack, Tyrese Hunter, and DGL have all chosen not to play at Purdue. Having interest is a lot different than actually committing and showing up on campus. Hell, even Xavier Booker had Purdue in it's top 5. But we all knew he wasn't coming to Purdue.

Its almost like moral victories are what you're hanging your hat on. We almost made a Final Four. We almost had Nigel Pack, Tyrese Hunter, and DGL. So Painter must be a top 10 or 15 coach for all those reasons. I'm guessing you have a bunch of participation ribbons and trophies in the bedroom your mom keeps for you for all those things you almost won or did....
So Painter doesn’t deserve credit for recognizing the talent of Carsen and Ivey? I would think it would be more impressive that he helped turn them into All-Americans after them being unheralded recruits.

As for the rest of your blabbering, the showing interest stuff came about because Dag said no elite recruit showed interest. It was a laughable statement and I called him on it.

I have no moral victories, I’ve seen Purdue have a very high degree of success under Painter and fully support him.

Based on your negative glass half full attitude, I can only assume you didn’t grow up with parents, or they just simply didn’t love you.

So Painter doesn’t deserve credit for recognizing the talent of Carsen and Ivey? I would think it would be more impressive that he helped turn them into All-Americans after them being unheralded recruits.

As for the rest of your blabbering, the showing interest stuff came about because Dag said no elite recruit showed interest. It was a laughable statement and I called him on it.

I have no moral victories, I’ve seen Purdue have a very high degree of success under Painter and fully support him.

Based on your negative glass half full attitude, I can only assume you didn’t grow up with parents, or they just simply didn’t love you.
Carsen is the ONLY guy that was not local or had ties...the only one, and, he wanted to leave...thankfully, for him and for Purdue, that did not happen.

Painter deserves credit for sure for getting him...he deserves credit for getting any of them, regardless in that they all could/would have had options...it is not as if those guys were just dying to play at Purdue. Painter is an elite evaluator of talent...the issue is landing it, and, specifically landing it at the Guard position...more specifically, landing a guy that does not have ties to Purdue (as, we just established, it happened once...twice if we want to consider Nojel, but, that is an entirely different matter).

You keep throwing out names of guys that supposedly are elite and had interest...DGL bailed, so, his interest was only because he did not have other options, and, as soon as he did, he bailed...because he felt (knew?) that it would benefit him more as a guard to play someplace aside of Purdue...now, we can debate that, as, it definitely worked out for a couple of guys that we already discussed, but, the perception absolutely remains that Purdue is not a place that suits elite guards...namely because they always have some 7' dude in the post that they constantly play through...something no other team in the country does.

Carsen is the ONLY guy that was not local or had ties...the only one, and, he wanted to leave...thankfully, for him and for Purdue, that did not happen.

Painter deserves credit for sure for getting him...he deserves credit for getting any of them, regardless in that they all could/would have had options...it is not as if those guys were just dying to play at Purdue. Painter is an elite evaluator of talent...the issue is landing it, and, specifically landing it at the Guard position...more specifically, landing a guy that does not have ties to Purdue (as, we just established, it happened once...twice if we want to consider Nojel, but, that is an entirely different matter).

You keep throwing out names of guys that supposedly are elite and had interest...DGL bailed, so, his interest was only because he did not have other options, and, as soon as he did, he bailed...because he felt (knew?) that it would benefit him more as a guard to play someplace aside of Purdue...now, we can debate that, as, it definitely worked out for a couple of guys that we already discussed, but, the perception absolutely remains that Purdue is not a place that suits elite guards...namely because they always have some 7' dude in the post that they constantly play through...something no other team in the country does.
If you don’t understand why Purdue doesn’t recruit nationally consistently, I don’t know what else to tell you.

You can speculate all you want on why DGL decommitted or his interest level in Purdue at the time of his commitment, but it’s just that. We’ve had 3 All-American guards under Painter. You act like that isn’t very many.

If you are thinking/hoping Painter is going to start landing elite talent consistently, you are going to be very disappointed. Especially with NIL.

It would be interesting to see the PHC react if Painter were to retire because of NIL and we end up with some no name guy with no head coaching experience.

What happened regarding carsen wanting to leave? I've read a few comments over the years about him not being super pumped about being here, but nothing ever specific.

Do I have to continually remind you of the comments I made in other responses to you? I said earlier in the thread that I give a lot of credit to Painter for the development of both and that he let them do their thing. Painter is very good at developing his players.

Secondarily, I was responding to your post about Painter getting interest from elite guards. I'll remind you, again, that Carsen and Ivey weren't elite recruits coming out of high school. DGL and the two transfers didn't come to Purdue, so does the interest even matter? The fact is, he's not getting elite guards to commit to Purdue, unless they somehow have a family tie (Colvin). Essentially Roosevelt Colvin has delivered Painter two of his highest level recruits (Swanigan and his son). Without Roosevelt's ties to Purdue, I doubt Painter would have landed either.

Do I have to continually remind you of the comments I made in other responses to you? I said earlier in the thread that I give a lot of credit to Painter for the development of both and that he let them do their thing. Painter is very good at developing his players.

Secondarily, I was responding to your post about Painter getting interest from elite guards. I'll remind you, again, that Carsen and Ivey weren't elite recruits coming out of high school. DGL and the two transfers didn't come to Purdue, so does the interest even matter? The fact is, he's not getting elite guards to commit to Purdue, unless they somehow have a family tie (Colvin). Essentially Roosevelt Colvin has delivered Painter two of his highest level recruits (Swanigan and his son). Without Roosevelt's ties to Purdue, I doubt Painter would have landed either.
1. Then stop your constant bitching about him.

2. No, the interest of those players don’t matter. The only reason it’s even a topic is because Dag said Elite recruits had no interest in coming here. I proved him wrong with those 3 examples.

3. I’m starting to question whether you are actually a Purdue fan or not. Roosevelt BARNES was Caleb Swanigan’s guardian. Roosevelt COLVIN is Myles Colvin’s dad. That would make so much sense if you were an IU troll.

1. Then stop your constant bitching about him.

2. No, the interest of those players don’t matter. The only reason it’s even a topic is because Dag said Elite recruits had no interest in coming here. I proved him wrong with those 3 examples.

3. I’m starting to question whether you are actually a Purdue fan or not. Roosevelt BARNES was Caleb Swanigan’s guardian. Roosevelt COLVIN is Myles Colvin’s dad. That would make so much sense if you were an IU troll.

Honest mistake on #3. I'll be happy to admit that. Not sure what I was thinking there. But it doesn't change my point.

And with regard to number #1, stop saying he's a top 10 to 15 coach and I'll stop trying to counter you...

Last edited:
If you don’t understand why Purdue doesn’t recruit nationally consistently, I don’t know what else to tell you.

You can speculate all you want on why DGL decommitted or his interest level in Purdue at the time of his commitment, but it’s just that. We’ve had 3 All-American guards under Painter. You act like that isn’t very many.

If you are thinking/hoping Painter is going to start landing elite talent consistently, you are going to be very disappointed. Especially with NIL.

It would be interesting to see the PHC react if Painter were to retire because of NIL and we end up with some no name guy with no head coaching experience.
You are so confused on all matters at this point that you have lost even yourself now, never mind credibility.

How on one hand can you proclaim him to be a top "10ish" coach, and, at the same time...as others have repeatedly pointed out his shortcomings as a recruiter (pre-NIL...only to be worse post-NIL)...proclaim that he can't recruit nationally consistently...I don' know, like, say the other legitimate top-10 coaches do...thus why, in part (likely large part), they are legitimate top-10 coaches...and, why Painter can't be in that same conversation despite your wanting him somehow to be?

Frankly, at this point, with NIL...I personally don't care who the HC is, as, nobody is going to be able to consistently draw the talent necessary to be a consistent player on a national scale. So, if he were to retire (and, I would not be surprised if that happens sooner than later), I don't think it would matter with things as they are...just as I don't think it will matter if he does not retire either. He was not able to succeed at that level pre-NIL, and, no chance at all that he can/will post-NIL.

Honest mistake on #3. I'll be happy to admit that. Not sure what I was thinking there. But it doesn't change my point.

And with regard to number #1, stop saying he's a top 10 to 15 coach and I'll stop trying to counter you...
I went through some of your posting history last week when this started. Based on your posting history, I could never post here again and you would still continuously bitch about Painter. It’s all you do.

Given the constant negativity and lack of knowledge about Barnes/Colvin, I’m still guessing you are an IU troll.

And- If he was the EXACT player Painter was looking for at PG, he would have offered him before the spring of his senior year.
I said he was the exact type of player Painter is looking for the PG position. DGL is in the same mold, but would have had the most talent of anyone to play that role.

You are so confused on all matters at this point that you have lost even yourself now, never mind credibility.

How on one hand can you proclaim him to be a top "10ish" coach, and, at the same time...as others have repeatedly pointed out his shortcomings as a recruiter (pre-NIL...only to be worse post-NIL)...proclaim that he can't recruit nationally consistently...I don' know, like, say the other legitimate top-10 coaches do...thus why, in part (likely large part), they are legitimate top-10 coaches...and, why Painter can't be in that same conversation despite your wanting him somehow to be?

Frankly, at this point, with NIL...I personally don't care who the HC is, as, nobody is going to be able to consistently draw the talent necessary to be a consistent player on a national scale. So, if he were to retire (and, I would not be surprised if that happens sooner than later), I don't think it would matter with things as they are...just as I don't think it will matter if he does not retire either. He was not able to succeed at that level pre-NIL, and, no chance at all that he can/will post-NIL.
As I’ve already pointed out, results are all that matters and he has a top 10-15 resume of any coach currently coaching. Recruiting doesn’t mean shit. Bo Ryan was a far worse recruiter than Painter, and I’m sure you wouldn’t be dumb enough to say he wasn’t a top 10-15 coach at the end of his career.

He was a rebound away from “succeeding at that level”. The good news for me in this argument is that the intelligent/knowledgeable people in charge of Painter’s employment agree with me.

Reactions: NVBoilerFan
As I’ve already pointed out, results are all that matters and he has a top 10-15 resume of any coach currently coaching. Recruiting doesn’t mean shit. Bo Ryan was a far worse recruiter than Painter, and I’m sure you wouldn’t be dumb enough to say he wasn’t a top 10-15 coach at the end of his career.

He was a rebound away from “succeeding at that level”. The good news for me in this argument is that the intelligent/knowledgeable people in charge of Painter’s employment agree with me.
Uh, look at the team that Bo Ryan assembled that beat Kentucky (after narrowly losing to them the year prior) and feel free to stand by your point that he could not recruit...which, wait for it...IS WHY HE WENT TO A FINAL FOUR. Really good coach, that, recruited some really good players, or, at least developed them into such.

Yes, the good news for you is that the same people by and large that have been in charge of things at Purdue and not seen them play in a Final Four in more than 40 years agree with you that winning in March is nice, but, not important...I bet they probably all get equally excited as you about being really efficient offensively (while not being able to beat the likes of UALR, North Texas or St. Peter's when it matters most). That is great news indeed...the really great news is that you can make plans to get together with those folks each year the last weekend of the NCAA tournament and watch the Final Four together if you want to.

I went through some of your posting history last week when this started. Based on your posting history, I could never post here again and you would still continuously bitch about Painter. It’s all you do.

Given the constant negativity and lack of knowledge about Barnes/Colvin, I’m still guessing you are an IU troll.
And Painter could never win another game and you'd anoint him coach of the year...

Uh, look at the team that Bo Ryan assembled that beat Kentucky (after narrowly losing to them the year prior) and feel free to stand by your point that he could not recruit...which, wait for it...IS WHY HE WENT TO A FINAL FOUR. Really good coach, that, recruited some really good players, or, at least developed them into such.

Yes, the good news for you is that the same people by and large that have been in charge of things at Purdue and not seen them play in a Final Four in more than 40 years agree with you that winning in March is nice, but, not important...I bet they probably all get equally excited as you about being really efficient offensively (while not being able to beat the likes of UALR, North Texas or St. Peter's when it matters most). That is great news indeed...the really great news is that you can make plans to get together with those folks each year the last weekend of the NCAA tournament and watch the Final Four together if you want to.
You clearly didn’t look at the 2015 Wisconsin team’s recruiting rankings. Decker was a 5* (Ryan’s only 5* in his career), but other than that only Koenig was a top 100 recruit and he was ranked 79th.

Is that your definition of a roster with elite talent? Oh an Decker doesn’t count because he’s from Wisconsin, right?

I will be at the eventual Final 4 as I am with most of Purdue basketball and football’s postseason games.

A list I saw recently posted on the national board.

FaN60peXkAAeGLk

Reactions: titaniumbolt
You clearly didn’t look at the 2015 Wisconsin team’s recruiting rankings. Decker was a 5* (Ryan’s only 5* in his career), but other than that only Koenig was a top 100 recruit and he was ranked 79th.

Is that your definition of a roster with elite talent? Oh an Decker doesn’t count because he’s from Wisconsin, right?

I will be at the eventual Final 4 as I am with most of Purdue basketball and football’s postseason games.
Did I dream that Kaminsky was a lottery pick? And, that he is STILL making money playing in the NBA (something only a guy just drafted this past year can make the same claim to on the Purdue-side and recruited by Painter...in both cases actually)?

"Recruiting doesn't mean $h!t" said somebody...somebody who thought Matt was "top-10ish"...if the former were indeed true, the latter would be as well.
I said he was top 10-15. That remains true. You don’t have to be a top 15 recruiter to be a top 15 coach. Tom Crean was a top 15 recruiter but a terrible coach. Sean Miller was a top 15 recruiter, but a terrible coach.

Painter gets top 15 results, and that makes him a top 15 coach. If he had the recruiting advantages the guys higher on the list do, he would get far superior talent and still have his elite coaching.

Did I dream that Kaminsky was a lottery pick? And, that he is STILL making money playing in the NBA (something only a guy just drafted this past year can make the same claim to on the Purdue-side and recruited by Painter...in both cases actually)?
You said top talent. Kaminsky was ranked 235th out of high school. You and the other members of the PHC would have written him off long before he became the national player of the year and a lottery pick.

I asked you if Bo Ryan could recruit elite players, and you are trying to use the 235th ranked player in the class as proof that he can recruit. Just stop, you are embarrassing yourself.

I said he was the exact type of player Painter is looking for the PG position. DGL is in the same mold, but would have had the most talent of anyone to play that role.
If that were true, he would have offered PJ earlier than the spring of his senior year.

If that were true, he would have offered PJ earlier than the spring of his senior year.
I think you are confusing what I’m saying here. You think I’m talking about the skill level when I’m only talking about the skillset. The playing style of PJ Thompson is exactly what Painter looks for in his PGs. The perfect PG for his system would be better skilled and taller version of PJ, but would possess the same skillset (good handles, low turnovers, great shooter, and a very high basketball IQ).

I think you are confusing what I’m saying here. You think I’m talking about the skill level when I’m only talking about the skillset. The playing style of PJ Thompson is exactly what Painter looks for in his PGs. The perfect PG for his system would be better skilled and taller version of PJ, but would possess the same skillset (good handles, low turnovers, great shooter, and a very high basketball IQ).
After reading this stuff, BB2021 gets the "banging his head against the wall" award for this month. :cool:

Reactions: boilercss
You said: “PJ Thompson is the EXACT player Painter looks for in a PG.”

And I disagree with that, due to CMP not offering until the end of his senior year.

A PG in Painter’s system is supposed to play exactly how PJ Thompson did. Being the ball up and then move to the correct spot as the motion offense is under way.

Im sure that plays into why no “elite” PG has committed here. Most of those types like the open offense that’s more high PNR followed by a drive or dish scenario. That’s not Painter’s system and that type of PG likely would not succeed in the system.
Then maybe Painter should change his system, because his system hasn't proven to work very well in the tourney.
Painter's best teams have been when he's had a ball dominate scoring guard, not a low post space eater.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT