ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Cox

GemstateBoiler

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2006
I know there is another thread on him, but I just watched some video on CJ Cox. First thing I noticed was that he has some similarities to Boogie. He has that same kind of ongoing motor with a muscled framed body. He also has a similar step-in off the dribble move, to move the defender back a step, and then he pulls back-up with a quick shot, similar to what Carsen used. If that makes sense? I'm not saying he is Boogie II, but I like the resemblance. I think he's a couple inches taller than Boogie also, nice. Time will tell. Dreams can come true.

Cause boogie nights are always the best in town.

Last edited:
What Purdue lacked last year was a guard who could get his own shot whenever he wanted (like Boogie or Smoodge). Purdue faced a couple guys like that in JHS and Walker last year and they definitely help when everything else breaks down. I think that TKR has some of that ability from the 4, but it also seems like Cox might have some ability to create his own shot. It should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Very polished offensive game from the highlight clips I've seen. Quite the arsenal really. Doesn't appear to have big hops and im not sure he has that blow by gear that Carson had, but seems like he should have had a lot more offers including P5.
I like what I’ve seen so far…I think he has the potential to be a piece that will heavily contribute to the team. I’m thinking he’s going to get even better his senior year and turn a lot of heads. Maybe he gets a ranking or some stars, but doesn’t matter at this point since he’s already committed! If gicarri still commits, this class should have the potential to be really good!

What Purdue lacked last year was a guard who could get his own shot whenever he wanted (like Boogie or Smoodge). Purdue faced a couple guys like that in JHS and Walker last year and they definitely help when everything else breaks down. I think that TKR has some of that ability from the 4, but it also seems like Cox might have some ability to create his own shot. It should be interesting to see how it plays out.
Purdue has a lot of players that can get their own shot…they just need to make them. 😁

Below is link to game that Painter first saw him in Vegas vs Flory, Travis Perry and Indiana Elite.

He stood out more than Perry IMO. Has a nice floor game for combo guard, hit several 3s off dribble, and is quick enough on D to have some potential there. He's number 2.

Below is link to game that Painter first saw him in Vegas vs Flory, Travis Perry and Indiana Elite.

He stood out more than Perry IMO. Has a nice floor game for combo guard, hit several 3s off dribble, and is quick enough on D to have some potential there. He's number 2.

He def looks athletic and someone who can get his own shot. Mid range and 3 look smooth. Something else from that vid, while flory is a beast down low, FTs look like they may be an adventure for him haha…especially in front of tons of people in big games. Always rooting for the Indiana kids tho…hope he thrives at KU!

I know there is another thread on him, but I just watched some video on CJ Cox. First thing I noticed was that he has some similarities to Boogie. He has that same kind of ongoing motor with a muscled framed body. He also has a similar step-in off the dribble move, to move the defender back a step, and then he pulls back-up with a quick shot, similar to what Carsen used. If that makes sense? I'm not saying he is Boogie II, but I like the resemblance. I think he's a couple inches taller than Boogie also, nice. Time will tell. Dreams can come true.

Cause boogie nights are always the best in town.
He plays physical for sure. Seems to enjoy the challenge of the contact. Finishes well with either hand.

Interesting. Sounds like Painter was there to watch Perry and ended up offering the opposing guard. I watched enough of the video to think that this wasn’t about Perry losing interest at all. Cox looked great going up against quality competition.

Interesting. Sounds like Painter was there to watch Perry and ended up offering the opposing guard. I watched enough of the video to think that this wasn’t about Perry losing interest at all. Cox looked great going up against quality competition.
Every interview Perry is asked about Kentucky and where that recruitment stands. I think Painter saw potential in Cox and doesn’t want to wait on Perry. As much as Perry talks pleasantly about Purdue and other schools, he is waiting for the full offer from Kentucky.

Maybe just my opinion but his recruitment will end when Cal tells him that there isn’t any room at the inn.

Every interview Perry is asked about Kentucky and where that recruitment stands. I think Painter saw potential in Cox and doesn’t want to wait on Perry. As much as Perry talks pleasantly about Purdue and other schools, he is waiting for the full offer from Kentucky.

Maybe just my opinion but his recruitment will end when Cal tells him that there isn’t any room at the inn.
Oh I thought UK had offered him? Is that not the case? 247 shows they offered and has the Crystal Ball saying UK…maybe they’re wrong tho?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Oh I thought UK had offered him? Is that not the case? 247 shows they offered and has the Crystal Ball saying UK…maybe they’re wrong tho?
I don’t think he could call Cal and say he is accepting because he is like option Z for guards they want. Maybe I’m wrong

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Not sure if they have offered or not but rivals has his prediction listed as Purdue, On 3 has his prediction as ole Miss I believe. No real answer out there yet I don’t think

I don’t think he could call Cal and say he is accepting because he is like option Z for guards they want. Maybe I’m wrong
I would most certainly agree with you on where he would stand for the guards cal wants. Cal for sure is trying to land Boogie Fland and others, but I’d imagine he’d still offer the all time points leader in Kentucky high school history—it does help he started playing varsity in 7th grade, tho haha.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT