ADVERTISEMENT

Citrus Bowl Game Discussion Thread

Opt outs have made bowl games, other that the NC Playoff portion, a virtual waste of time. They are no longer realistically representative of a team, its season play, conference quality or much else save being a demonstration of the comparative depth between the 2 teams. They provide an income source for various entities and some white noise on TV while people are multitasking.

Reactions: Professor Emeritus
I believe brian brohm has already moved. he's basically been on vacation for the last month at purdue's expense.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Opt outs have made bowl games, other that the NC Playoff portion, a virtual waste of time. They are no longer realistically representative of a team, its season play, conference quality or much else save being a demonstration of the comparative depth between the 2 teams. They provide an income source for various entities and some white noise on TV while people are multitasking.
LSU also had a bunch of opt outs. the difference is they had depth and players to step up. Purdue has never had any depth.

LSU has more opt outs than we do, even we had our full team it wouldn't matter. Poorly coached, no depth from lousy recruiting, and lack of conditioning. Our guys get hit or get hurt or laid out.

No Burton or portal guys in 2nd half please. Sullivan, Deen, Johnson are welcome back next year and they know that, but they should not play in the 2nd half, we have to play you guys.

LSU also had a bunch of opt outs. the difference is they had depth and players to step up. Purdue has never had any depth.
And Purdue does not have it’s head coach (and offensive play caller), DC (who called the defense), and multiple other coaches. We were missing 9 starters at kick and now down a couple more. The state of these teams are not equal.

I love what Brohm did for Purdue but something needs to be figured out if they want bowl games to mean anything.

LSU has more opt outs than we do, even we had our full team it wouldn't matter. Poorly coached, no depth from lousy recruiting, and lack of conditioning. Our guys get hit or get hurt or laid out.
While I would surely agree with your assessment of this game, it in no way suggests that my original comment was inaccurate.

Thank god I didn’t waste my money going to this game. Bobinski should offer refunds to the fans at this game. This is like watching the Hazell years all over again
Hope 2.0 left behind Hazell talent and apparently Shoop returned for the bowl game.

If it keeps going the way it is......I wouldn't be totally shocked somewhere down the line with opt-outs for a CFP game......it's totally turning into a business/economic proposition outweighing everything.

Burton better not see the field in the 2nd half. The passing game has been a sh*t show! Make a change Brian or you can leave early too! Mock looks to be the only one playing for something! I sure hope Coach Walters is taking LOTS of notes.

While I would surely agree with your assessment of this game, it in no way suggests that my original comment was inaccurate.
I'm not knocking you, I meant for our game. Plus the 3 portal guys playing today has to be a real eye opener for them. Maybe they're going to settle for MAC offers.

It looks like the player running into their fair catch punt returner was the highlight of Purdue play.

"someone like us", you mean the Big Ten West Champions no depth ?
As an example, last year we had 4-4stars in our class. LSU had 1-5 star, and 8-4 stars. Yes, they have way more depth and talent than us. Brohm did an amazing job of developing guys but we cannot withstand 9 starters and both play-callers out.

ADVERTISEMENT