ADVERTISEMENT

Card vs. Browne

ImRonBurgandy?

All-American
Aug 14, 2008
Guys on Black and Gold last night seemed unsure if Browne would be the starter this week. Had me wondering what they've been watching this year outside of ISU.

Is there seriously any doubt as to who starts this week?

The only real question to me is why in hell didn't the staff have Browne in games prior?

Guys on Black and Gold last night seemed unsure if Browne would be the starter this week. Had me wondering what they've been watching this year outside of ISU.

The only real question to me is why in hell didn't the staff have Browne in games prior?
I think this staff is not always the best judge of talent

It's because the head coach himself wouldn't commit to Browne being the starter in his post game presser.

This game from Browne reminded me of Brandon Kirsch's first start at Iowa in 2002. Seemed like lightning in a bottle at the time, a revelation even. All for Tiller to decide to keep going with the much more one dimensional Kyle Orton the rest of the season - and the following 2 seasons. Orton eventually proved to be a solid qb who was helped out mightily by some transcendent Purdue defenses from 2002 to 2004. But I always wondered what Kirsch could have become if Tiller had shown any trust in him. By the time he actually got his turn in 2005, his confidence was shot, and the entire team was in disarray with numerous off-field issues (Bonecrusher, anyone?).

Doesn't seem like there's much to potentially lose by pulling Card in favor of Browne. 2002 we were at least in the hunt for a bowl, in every game (and held the eventual national champs to 10 points in a game with an electric atmosphere), and building towards something, so I understood Tiller's thought process.

I believe winning or losing if the score has a difference of 35+ points, you let your backups play and get some game experience.

Even Notre Dame finally allowed Rudy to play in 1 game after 4 years! The fans and players demanded it even though their coach didn’t want to.

Maybe it’s because there is absolutely no reason for Walters to let Oregon know which QB to prepare for.

Let’s take a deep breath. Over the years, we’ve seen a lot & played against of lot of one-game-wonders who all looked like future 1st Rounders when defenses had no tape on them. I’d love for Browne to be our next Cradle member but let’s pump the brakes a little…

Reactions: BBG
Let’s take a deep breath. Over the years, we’ve seen a lot & played against of lot of one-game-wonders who all looked like future 1st Rounders when defenses had no tape on them. I’d love for Browne to be our next Cradle member but let’s pump the brakes a little…
I don't think anybody is anointing him the next cradle member, but what benefit does playing Card have at this point? At 1-5 with the remaining schedule we have, the likelihood of us going bowling is practically zero. Card is a senior and won't be here next year, so, we might as well find out what we've got for the future. We certainly can't look any worse than we have already.

I'm sure that Walter's knowledge of what Illinois was likely to do in various circumstances helped with the play calling and Browne's statistics, but a fine performance nevertheless.

Reactions: pboiler18
My dick was blown off by the poise. The moment was never too big. Contrast that with pretty much any and every moment being too big for Card this year with a ton of experience.

Even the Fox commentators were wowed by the throw on the run late in the 4th to Biber. At that point I said, you know what…this kid has …something. Signs of life. Signs that he’s not just trying to get through a game unhurt because the check has cleared.

Answered the bell repeatedly in tough circumstances. I’m not anointing him the NEXT but he did a lot of things in this game we wished card would have done over the previous 19. He’ll have rowing pains. If he plays next week he’ll likely have a lot. But ask yourself…look at Cards performance vs Ore St and Brownes performance vs Illinois yesterday. Which team is better. Who performed better?

I think that’s genuinely all you need to know.

Is Friday going to be another “defining moment” for this inexperienced HC. The decision on who to start at QB? Will he make the right decision or will it edge him closer to the door?

I don't think anybody is anointing him the next cradle member, but what benefit does playing Card have at this point? At 1-5 with the remaining schedule we have, the likelihood of us going bowling is practically zero. Card is a senior and won't be here next year, so, we might as well find out what we've got for the future. We certainly can't look any worse than we have already.
Bit of a different argument though. Browne is amazing this staff sucks for not playing him is a wee bit premature.

There's little value in playing a guy who is in his last year of eligibility in a losing season over a guy who has a good game and is a frosh is a much better argument.

I'd sit Card at this point. He's too unwilling to run, almost never pulls the ball in read option and that one dimensional play makes it hard in obvious passing situations. Browne brought more uncertainty and that helped. The play calling was exceptional. More of that helps as well.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
This game from Browne reminded me of Brandon Kirsch's first start at Iowa in 2002. Seemed like lightning in a bottle at the time, a revelation even. All for Tiller to decide to keep going with the much more one dimensional Kyle Orton the rest of the season - and the following 2 seasons. Orton eventually proved to be a solid qb who was helped out mightily by some transcendent Purdue defenses from 2002 to 2004. But I always wondered what Kirsch could have become if Tiller had shown any trust in him. By the time he actually got his turn in 2005, his confidence was shot, and the entire team was in disarray with numerous off-field issues (Bonecrusher, anyone?).

Doesn't seem like there's much to potentially lose by pulling Card in favor of Browne. 2002 we were at least in the hunt for a bowl, in every game (and held the eventual national champs to 10 points in a game with an electric atmosphere), and building towards something, so I understood Tiller's thought process.
That sounds like a stretch. Kyle Orton was an all-conference qb and a legit Heisman candidate in '04 who went on to a solid NFL career. Kirsch was an intriguing athlete who had a frustrating career.

But I get what you're saying. I remember when Kirsch looked like a guy who could come in and make plays, especially when Orton was banged up his senior year

I think that's often true of backup quarterbacks when a team is struggling. Defenses don't know much about them, and they look good if they do anything positive.

I'll say this: Browne put up 400 yards of offense in the road against a ranked team that had previously given up only 14 ppg. Card has done very little since the opener.

I'd stick with Browne for a while if it was my decision.

Is Friday going to be another “defining moment” for this inexperienced HC. The decision on who to start at QB? Will he make the right decision or will it edge him closer to the door?
If he starts Card, he should be out the door!!

If he starts Card, he should be out the door!!
I'm kind of wondering is there another reason that Card is playing. Could there be some kind of NIL deal that requires him to start. I've seen him in those commercials. Just wondering if a NIL deal could be dependent on some one's play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT