ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone explain the NET rankings to me like I'm a Hoosier fan?

Abugabby

Junior
Jun 1, 2001
Purdue is ranked 4th. A team we beat a week ago and who also lost today is #2.

Purdue has fewer losses, beat them a week ago, has more Q1 wins, more Q2 wins, the same Q3 wins and one fewer Q4 wins.

Reactions: Schnelk
In basketball, net rating is a statistic that measures a team’s point differential per 100 possessions. The higher a team’s net rating, the better they are at outscoring their opponents. A team’s net rating can be a good indicator of how well they are playing and how likely they are to win games.

NET ratings explained

This is why close scores against weaker teams will hurt your NET ratings.

So basically, if Purdue played Smith, Edey, Loyer, and Jones 35-40 mins a game instead of 20-25 mpg against the bad teams and ran up the score they would have have a higher NET.

Yes, but the NET is basically only used to determine quadrants.

After that, it is just one of the many sorting/ranking tools available to the committee.

Yes, but the NET is basically only used to determine quadrants.

After that, it is just one of the many sorting/ranking tools available to the committee.

And the Quadrant metrics (for opponents' NET rankings):

- Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75

- Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135

- Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240

- Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353

Because NET is a fluid metric, so are the Quadrant records.....pop quiz next week.....so go home, hit the books, and study your little ass off.......

images

I recall in football when Joe Paterno was coaching at Penn st. He would never run up the score on anybody, he would have his 9-11 wins, but his ranking would always be lower than it should have been because he didn’t have the blow out wins like OSU and other schools did

In basketball, net rating is a statistic that measures a team’s point differential per 100 possessions. The higher a team’s net rating, the better they are at outscoring their opponents. A team’s net rating can be a good indicator of how well they are playing and how likely they are to win games.

NET ratings explained

This is why close scores against weaker teams will hurt your NET ratings.
This is simply a statistic that calls itself net rankings. The NCAA's is different, see my post above.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
The NCAA has also said over the years that your record against the Quads is more important than the NET rankings itself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT