ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Swawnigan PLea

The video linked to this article shows dude has had many munchies in the past. He looks so out of shape and worse than probably he was as an 8th grader.

Not to make light of his issues but he clearly isn't playing ball anywhere, including his back yard. Hope he can straighten himself out.

Most overweight people overeat for emotional reasons.
Going from the limelight and first class hotels and travel and millions of dollars in the bank, to unemployed has depressed more than 1 ex pro athlete.
Then take off the 3,000 calories a day you are working off being in NBA shape.

PS - you never lose fat cells once created. They just shrink. So when needed (you know, the upcoming famine) they burst back into life and that person can gain weight much more quickly than someone that's never been fat before. Fat also begins to act as an organ and make its own (bad) hormones when it's prevalent enough. The stress type hormones that make you want to eat and suppress your "that's enough food" signal. etc etc etc etc

Going from the limelight and first class hotels and travel and millions of dollars in the bank, to unemployed has depressed more than 1 ex pro athlete.

PS - you never lose fat cells once created. They just shrink. So when needed (you know, the upcoming famine) they burst back into life and that person can gain weight much more quickly than someone that's never been fat before. Fat also begins to act as an organ and make its own (bad) hormones when it's prevalent enough. The stress type hormones that make you want to eat and suppress your "that's enough food" signal. etc etc etc etc
Have to wonder if his goals were too specific. NBA or bust? Several Boilers had good, long careers in Europe (see the thread with the update on JJ). If he can work his way back into shape, he should go to a country where he doesn't like the food.

Very sad to see people have early success without proper guidance. He is 23 and his career earnings are listed at 5.1 million. Hope he can figure things out
He had some good guidance, however...he ultimately chose to ignore it unfortunately.

It is sad what has happened...in more ways than one, and, not just the obvious.

He is young...he still has people that want to help him and that are willing to help him...but, it will only work if he wants it.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Poor fella. Biggie was redlining it for so long that he must have been exhausted. Imagine being morbidly obese and then finding the discipline and willpower to lose all that weight, transform yourself into a world class basketball player, make millions of dollars and be be adored by hundreds of thousands of Purdue and Portland fans.

As soon as he got out from under Roosevelt's watchful eye he must have gone off the rails. It's hard to imagine him finding the motivation to do it all again.

Have to wonder if his goals were too specific. NBA or bust? Several Boilers had good, long careers in Europe (see the thread with the update on JJ).

Yeah I agree. One can have a very good life playing ball in many places around the world.

Interesting. What about cool sculpting? Does that rid the fat cells?

Very sad to see people have early success without proper guidance. He is 23 and his career earnings are listed at 5.1 million. Hope he can figure things out

Have to wonder if his goals were too specific. NBA or bust? Several Boilers had good, long careers in Europe (see the thread with the update on JJ). If he can work his way back into shape, he should go to a country where he doesn't like the food.
surprisingly that makes a lot of sense doesn't it!

not sure about that. I sure don't think it's a "real" way to lose significant weight. You have to modify the behaviors or the weight will be back as soon as you slip up a bit.

Thanks. Now I am 100% freaked about the 5 lbs I gained during all of the shelter-in-place eating time.

As someone who has fought weight with limited success for 69 years I can tell you that you can take the fat out of the kid but the fat kid is still waiting inside. He obviously loved food and probably used it as a reward or emotional crutch as a kid. Through the help of others but largely through his own hard work and discipline he made it to the NBA but couldn't stick. His primary motivation was gone. He evidently never had any other league in mind and with his motivation gone he apparently fell into massive bouts of emotional eating which further likely affected his self worth. People who have never fought more than a few pounds can't understand or empathize with where he is. I fear for his life. No amount of shaming or loathing by others can approach what he is likely feeling himself.

surprisingly that makes a lot of sense doesn't it!
And while it may seem that I was flippant about working in a country where the food doesn't suit your taste, I was serious. Every country has their own cultural foods and it can be hard to find foods you may like. American basketball players, including from Purdue, have complained about this in the past. Hard to get overweight when you don't go back for seconds. :)

Crazy thought here. With Caleb unable to play basketball, and Purdue having a grad assistant opening, maybe he could enter that spot, coach and help rehab, and start his comeback story. There may still be a lot of fight in him to want this, or maybe he is checked out. Hopefully Painter reaches out. Could be a one year plan and wait and see.

Crazy thought here. With Caleb unable to play basketball, and Purdue having a grad assistant opening, maybe he could enter that spot, coach and help rehab, and start his comeback story. There may still be a lot of fight in him to want this, or maybe he is checked out. Hopefully Painter reaches out. Could be a one year plan and wait and see.
I had thought about something similar...even if not in an official capacity, just having him on campus could be a good thing for him.

It is not a case of Caleb not having people that are willing...and even wanting...to help him, or, be there for him.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
It does in fact kill fat cells. However it’s best used for like the last 5 pounds. Biggie is in need of gastric bypass followed by a shit ton of Lipo. Again not to belittle the situation. Hope he straightens it out.

It does in fact kill fat cells. However it’s best used for like the last 5 pounds. Biggie is in need of gastric bypass followed by a shit ton of Lipo. Again not to belittle the situation. Hope he straightens it out.
The health of people I know who had gastric bypass were so much compromised that they would never, ever recommend it. It certainly is not an option for someone who has an opportunity to resume his career as a world-class athlete.

I am reminded of all the discipline Painter installed and required of him to get in shape before he would allow him to start and play significant minutes. I recall at the begining of his career at purdue, many purdue fans wanted him to play more. and eventually after getting in shape, he did. he became the model of exercise and workout while at Purdue.

I'm also reminded of Cecil Fielder and his son Prince Fielder. Both players were superstar baseball players. Both players had eating disorder issues. and when the big $$$$ started coming in, their desire to stay in shape no longer took priority. and both players ended their playing careers a lot earlier than their contemporaries.

it's very hard for any professional athlete to remain on top of their game. its sad to see this happen so early in their life. i lost over 50 pounds due to a heart attack 3 years ago. Trust me, that's not a recommended weight loss program. his professional basketball career may be over. But his life has just begun. My current health is directly related to finally taking my doctor's orders seriously . My hope and prayers are that he also finds somebody that cares enough about him to give him some tough love. and that he cares enough about himself to take the time and make the effort to listen.

And while it may seem that I was flippant about working in a country where the food doesn't suit your taste, I was serious. Every country has their own cultural foods and it can be hard to find foods you may like. American basketball players, including from Purdue, have complained about this in the past. Hard to get overweight when you don't go back for seconds. :)
I think you can find things that you would like to eat no matter what country your in especially if your a professional athelete.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
I think you can find things that you would like to eat no matter what country your in especially if your a professional athelete.
You are making an assumption. As I stated, American players, including former Purdue players, have complained about not liking the food in some countries. It is a big part of adjusting to living in a different country.

Reactions: boiler800
A lot of assumptions being made here. There are probably only a few people who really know what happened and my guess is they aren't posting on this board.

Given that the kid was 300+ bills at 13, and his dad was 500 large when he passed away, the dots are pretty easy to connect. That kid had zero room for error in the weight department. Add in disposable income and COVID shelter-in-place...

That video was hard to watch. Forget the NBA, he has to get some help or his life is going to be severely abbreviated.

You are making an assumption. As I stated, American players, including former Purdue players, have complained about not liking the food in some countries. It is a big part of adjusting to living in a different country.
Yeah, there are a lot of finicky eaters who can't deal with any alterations in appearance, texture or smell and approach food like an 8 year old who will only eat chicken fingers. Playing overseas would not be easy for those folks.

You guys can talk about his weight, did anyone notice the weight of something else the police found?

Swanigan pleaded guilty to misdemeanor Possession of Marijuana in Whitley Superior Court Monday morning.

Swanigan, 23, was pulled over around 2 a.m. on Dec. 23, 2020, on eastbound U.S. 30 by Columbia City Police. During the stop, police found 3.4 pounds of marijuana in Swanigan’s vehicle, as well as $3,415 in cash and some drug paraphernalia.

In court Monday, Judge Douglas Fahl said he was concerned about the large amount of marijuana Swanigan was found with, but he accepted the plea agreement as written because Swanigan was a first-time offender.

Fahl sentenced Swanigan to 180 days suspended. He was ordered to complete a substance abuse evaluation and comply with any prescribed treatment.

Yeah, there are a lot of finicky eaters who can't deal with any alterations in appearance, texture or smell and approach food like an 8 year old who will only eat chicken fingers. Playing overseas would not be easy for those folks.
Here is an interesting article. Read the Jordan Crawford story.

When players go overseas, their biggest culture shocks are always listed as #1 language and #2 food. What some countries consider delicacies or their national dish, many Americans wouldn't eat if given a choice.

DJ Byrd played in Germany and complained about the food. Lewis Jackson played in Eastern Europe and lost a lot of weight because he did not like the food.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
You guys can talk about his weight, did anyone notice the weight of something else the police found?

Swanigan pleaded guilty to misdemeanor Possession of Marijuana in Whitley Superior Court Monday morning.

Swanigan, 23, was pulled over around 2 a.m. on Dec. 23, 2020, on eastbound U.S. 30 by Columbia City Police. During the stop, police found 3.4 pounds of marijuana in Swanigan’s vehicle, as well as $3,415 in cash and some drug paraphernalia.

In court Monday, Judge Douglas Fahl said he was concerned about the large amount of marijuana Swanigan was found with, but he accepted the plea agreement as written because Swanigan was a first-time offender.

Fahl sentenced Swanigan to 180 days suspended. He was ordered to complete a substance abuse evaluation and comply with any prescribed treatment.
I noticed it and decided that the courts already dealt with it. He's already been judged by people more qualified than me. I am discussing the the aspects of the case where the courts have no authority and where I hope Biggie gets help.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT