ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm vs hazell in year 5

On what basis are you using to prove your point? You have talked about recruiting and you have talked about development. But idk what you consider a good class or which of Brohms classes you consider good. How long do you think it takes for most guys to develop and be ready to play like a solid big ten player? All valid questions you should he able to answer in defending your original statement. Do you disagree?
I consider the classes brohm has signed on signing day to be pretty good.

For the ratings he’s pulled in, I’d say end of year two, beginning of year three for skill guys and then add a 0.5-a year for guys who play up front.

the point of my original post wasn’t “brohm has already failed.” More like “we need to see it this year.”

And I’ll be really honest. It doesn’t bother me if we only START to see it but it becomes pretty clear that we have to wait one more year, as long as I feel like we are making marked progress.

I consider the classes brohm has signed on signing day to be pretty good.

For the ratings he’s pulled in, I’d say end of year two, beginning of year three for skill guys and then add a 0.5-a year for guys who play up front.

the point of my original post wasn’t “brohm has already failed.” More like “we need to see it this year.”

And I’ll be really honest. It doesn’t bother me if we only START to see it but it becomes pretty clear that we have to wait one more year, as long as I feel like we are making marked progress.
Even with the Diaco mess, it's really hard to say you saw no progress from 2019 to 2020.

Even with the Diaco mess, it's really hard to say you saw no progress from 2019 to 2020.
Well the zero bar is low. If this was 2009 when Danny hope was picking up 5 wins yeah that’s fine.. brohm’s competition is really good.. the big ten is better top to bottom than 15 years ago.

But of course there was some progress. On defense trice and Allen got better and George would have been a lot better if he was there the whole time.

Offensively I thought both QBs made some progress, Horvath and Durham became more effective, Wright was more than a deep threat, Hartwig got out there earlier than you expect.

I don’t think I’m a brohm detractor. I’m about 60-65if 100 was brohm’s biggest fan and 0 was fire brohm now.

Well the zero bar is low. If this was 2009 when Danny hope was picking up 5 wins yeah that’s fine.. brohm’s competition is really good.. the big ten is better top to bottom than 15 years ago.

But of course there was some progress. On defense trice and Allen got better and George would have been a lot better if he was there the whole time.

Offensively I thought both QBs made some progress, Horvath and Durham became more effective, Wright was more than a deep threat, Hartwig got out there earlier than you expect.

I don’t think I’m a brohm detractor. I’m about 60-65if 100 was brohm’s biggest fan and 0 was fire brohm now.
You can really only think of 3 defenders that got better from 2019 to 2020?

You can really only think of 3 defenders that got better from 2019 to 2020?
Toward being a big ten level starter? Yes. But I fully acknowledge that we might all think that that was even more Diaco than it seemed. I hope so. I wanna go back to what 03 and first half of 04 felt like

Toward being a big ten level starter? Yes. But I fully acknowledge that we might all think that that was even more Diaco than it seemed. I hope so. I wanna go back to what 03 and first half of 04 felt like
I'd consider Watts a solid big ten player. His loss was really felt in run D. Barnes? Alexander? Both solid LB's last year I though. I actually thought the LB's took a step under Diaco, with Barnes being our best defender outside of George. I thought Mitchell absolutely looked to belong before injury. Dude was all over the field. Disagree on those?

Reactions: pboiler18
I'd consider Watts a solid big ten player. His loss was really felt in run D. Barnes? Alexander? Both solid LB's last year I though. I actually thought the LB's took a step under Diaco, with Barnes being our best defender outside of George. I thought Mitchell absolutely looked to belong before injury. Dude was all over the field. Disagree on those?
Ah yes I forgot Barnes.. my bad. Watts was a hazell signee who to me was fine. I don’t think Alexander has done more than show flashes of being not bad at times.

Mitchell was fine but again my issue isn’t really with guys brohm inherited or transfers. Where we are lacking is these good high school recruits Hitting the field.

Ah yes I forgot Barnes.. my bad. Watts was a hazell signee who to me was fine. I don’t think Alexander has done more than show flashes of being not bad at times.

Mitchell was fine but again my issue isn’t really with guys brohm inherited or transfers. Where we are lacking is these good high school recruits Hitting the field.
His first class and some of his second, I fully agree. But I'm not closing the door on bells class.

I am saddened by purdue fans who now are saying they'd be happy if we won 5-6 games this year. 4 years ago, they were predicting 8-10 win seasons and championships. But now going 5-7 is seen as acceptable?

I'm also curious. Did COVID affect every team or just purdue? A lot of people are blaming COVID for last year's disaster of a season. it appears by your comments, it only affected purdue. OSU played Alabama without two of their starters. they had players step up to fill the void. But purdue? oh well, we lost a couple of players t o COVID. rather than trying to step up, we'll just blame COVID.

as for the quality of player, sure its' better than the past. But every single BIG 10 school can make that same claim. To truly measure how much better your players are, you must compare them to your competition, not your past. are we going to be better than Neb, UW, Minn, IU, NW, IL and Iowa this year? If not, then we haven't really improved, have we?

Reactions: DAG10
His first class and some of his second, I fully agree. But I'm not closing the door on bells class.
I wasn’t either. My point wasn’t “the door is closed.. brohm has failed!” There are posters like that, I’m not one. My point was more like “hope we see it this year”

I am saddened by purdue fans who now are saying they'd be happy if we won 5-6 games this year. 4 years ago, they were predicting 8-10 win seasons and championships. But now going 5-7 is seen as acceptable?

I'm also curious. Did COVID affect every team or just purdue? A lot of people are blaming COVID for last year's disaster of a season. it appears by your comments, it only affected purdue. OSU played Alabama without two of their starters. they had players step up to fill the void. But purdue? oh well, we lost a couple of players t o COVID. rather than trying to step up, we'll just blame COVID.

as for the quality of player, sure its' better than the past. But every single BIG 10 school can make that same claim. To truly measure how much better your players are, you must compare them to your competition, not your past. are we going to be better than Neb, UW, Minn, IU, NW, IL and Iowa this year? If not, then we haven't really improved, have we?
See @BoilerN this is the guy I think many of you think I am.
5-7 is reality after diaco until further notice. I never predicted 10 wins lol.. that to me happens when you’re clearly better than the entire conference but shit happens in a couple games .. 8 wins would be Amazing to me.

Who was predicting 10 wins in Brohms first or second season?

See @BoilerN this is the guy I think many of you think I am.
5-7 is reality after diaco until further notice. I never predicted 10 wins lol.. that to me happens when you’re clearly better than the entire conference but shit happens in a couple games .. 8 wins would be Amazing to me.
Nope. Not at all. Just trying to understand and discuss your thinking. You just fought it for 3/4ths this thread for some reason.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
Who was predicting 10 wins in Brohms first or second season?
After his first and second year, and, recruiting classes that followed, many predicted great success to follow with Purdue a factor in the B1G West.

Purdue had momentum as a program (although much of it was lost with the debacle in Nashville), and, Brohm was a national darling.

Now? 5 wins would be considered a success somehow by almost as many it seems, and, the fact that Purdue is irrelevant in the conference and more so outside of it does not matter seemingly...then again, it has been that way for so long, maybe it is just accepted (and acceptable) at this point. Imagine if the B1G did expand a became a super-conference...

After his first and second year, and, recruiting classes that followed, many predicted great success to follow with Purdue a factor in the B1G West.

Purdue had momentum as a program (although much of it was lost with the debacle in Nashville), and, Brohm was a national darling.

Now? 5 wins would be considered a success somehow by almost as many it seems, and, the fact that Purdue is irrelevant in the conference and more so outside of it does not matter seemingly...then again, it has been that way for so long, maybe it is just accepted (and acceptable) at this point. Imagine if the B1G did expand a became a super-conference...
Yes. Most considered them on the up and up, but 10 wins? Seriously? 10 wins for a team that was losing a lot and clearly had holes in depth. That recruiting class was good, but ideally, most of them don't see the field until year 3. There will be a few exceptions. Now, add in the injuries. If you don't lose, sindelar, Moore, Bailey, and Neal fully recovers from the ACL, I bet they go bowling.

Yes. Most considered them on the up and up, but 10 wins? Seriously? 10 wins for a team that was losing a lot and clearly had holes in depth. That recruiting class was good, but ideally, most of them don't see the field until year 3. There will be a few exceptions. Now, add in the injuries. If you don't lose, sindelar, Moore, Bailey, and Neal fully recovers from the ACL, I bet they go bowling.
Who said they have achieved success? This is the year I expect Rondales class and George's class to start to take some steps. They were also recruited for the scheme we are playing this year, not last, so that will hopefully help some.

I believe that most were looking at last year and this year as years in which to see wins, whether it be 8/9/10, but, surely not 5...and, the 5 is not a product of injury to any of the guys cited.

Personally, I felt like year 3, despite no bowl and a disappointing record, was a pretty quality job on the whole by the staff to overcome those injuries to the guys that you cited...I would point out that any depth at a position other than WR would have helped to address those as well, but, that is another matter/topic. That said, while the job done in year 3 was better than the record would indicate...year 4 was the opposite, and, a really lousy job in just about every way...and, the struggles in year 3 and year 4 have carried over to recruiting...just as the success in years 1 and 2 did.

WIthout looking it up, I can't recall when Purdue last won 10 games in a year...and, there have been a couple of pretty good teams along the way that did not...so, 10 wins is a pretty bold expectation...but, 5...in year 5...is just not good enough, simple as that, especially on the heels of the success in years 1 and 2 and the momentum that was in place.

I believe that most were looking at last year and this year as years in which to see wins, whether it be 8/9/10, but, surely not 5...and, the 5 is not a product of injury to any of the guys cited.

Personally, I felt like year 3, despite no bowl and a disappointing record, was a pretty quality job on the whole by the staff to overcome those injuries to the guys that you cited...I would point out that any depth at a position other than WR would have helped to address those as well, but, that is another matter/topic. That said, while the job done in year 3 was better than the record would indicate...year 4 was the opposite, and, a really lousy job in just about every way...and, the struggles in year 3 and year 4 have carried over to recruiting...just as the success in years 1 and 2 did.

WIthout looking it up, I can't recall when Purdue last won 10 games in a year...and, there have been a couple of pretty good teams along the way that did not...so, 10 wins is a pretty bold expectation...but, 5...in year 5...is just not good enough, simple as that, especially on the heels of the success in years 1 and 2 and the momentum that was in place.
Year 4 was good until the wheels fell off, for a variety of reasons. With covid, I don't put much stock into last year though. Purdue proved they could play with anyone in the west last year before the wheels did fall off.

good players recruited and signed by Hazell who played in what would have been his year 5 or beyond:

sindelar
Blough
Knox
Jones
Herdman
Hopkins
Hermans
Barron
McCann
Neal
Wilson
Robinson
Bentley
Bailey
Thienemann

15 players that, as far as I can recall, who were starter caliber players, recruited out of high school by hazell. Correct me if I’m wrong cause I didn’t go digging. Now, here’s brohm

Anthrop
Moore
Bell
Wright
Karlaftis
Durham
Allen
Trice
Horvath
Barnes

Am I wrong? These are the consistently good players I have seen developed from all the hyped recruiting under brohm. He’s developed, out of high school, by my estimation.. the following number of big ten quality starters at this point in each unit:

QB 0
RB 1
WR 4
TE 1
OL 0
DL 1
LB 1
DB 2

is this wrong? Because for all the talk of hazell making it so that brohm couldn’t succeed, what coach succeeds when they can’t get their players on the field? I hope this is the year he does that.. if 16 hazell players could do what they did in what would have been his year 5, can we not ask for at least seven brohm high school recruits to show that they’ve arrived as big ten caliber starters? Let’s say you could transfers who are young as well:

Brothers
Lewis
Johnson
Alexander
Grant
Hartwig
Craig

that would make for a tie unless people introduce players on both sides where I’m wrong. If you add Jalen Graham, Anthony Romphf, khali Saunders, Branson Deen, Aidan Oconnell, TJ sheffield, Eric Miller and mershawn rice.. brohm would be winning by a whole 9 players. Add those players as starter caliber players, and doerue and Jenkins and now we are ready to go 7-5 in my opinion
If Hermanns is a good player for Hazell

Shouldn’t Holstege, Hartwig and Long be recognized and added for Brohm?

Gus Hartwig, Grant Hermanns, Spencer Holstege, Greg Long and Moore were named honorable mention All-Big Ten by the coaches, while Payne Durham, Hartwig, Hermanns, Holstege and Moore were similarly feted by the media members.

If Hermanns is a good player for Hazell

Shouldn’t Holstege, Hartwig and Long be recognized and added for Brohm?

Gus Hartwig, Grant Hermanns, Spencer Holstege, Greg Long and Moore were named honorable mention All-Big Ten by the coaches, while Payne Durham, Hartwig, Hermanns, Holstege and Moore were similarly feted by the media members.

No I’m not saying any of them were good recruits for hazell. Just that those were guys he brought in that Were ready to go by year 5. And thus, you’d hope brohm could best that number

Reactions: TheGunner

7-9 wins could closer than we think. I’m anticipating an improved OL and running game this year. That would be huge! We have put far too much pressure on the QB position. I expect to be able to run on everyone except maybe ND and OSU this coming year.

Offensively, we have 2 experienced QB’s. I would say 4 guys with some talent adding Alaimo and Burton. WR’s are as loaded as I can remember. Bell is proven and some others are emerging. TE is loaded. RB is experienced and steady.

The defense has a lot of room for improvement from the last two years. I like the DE’s we have this year. GK is probably a 1st rounder and Mitchell might be a pro as well.

LB and DB weren’t great last year but some of those positions were addressed with transfers. Two kickers were also brought in.

I predicted 6-6. I think 7-9 wins is certainly not out of the question if the QB’s out perform expectations. Maybe we get a boost from a defense that gets pretty aggressive. Maybe one of the new DB’s surprises us.

7-9 wins could closer than we think. I’m anticipating an improved OL and running game this year. That would be huge! We have put far too much pressure on the QB position. I expect to be able to run on everyone except maybe ND and OSU this coming year.

Offensively, we have 2 experienced QB’s. I would say 4 guys with some talent adding Alaimo and Burton. WR’s are as loaded as I can remember. Bell is proven and some others are emerging. TE is loaded. RB is experienced and steady.

The defense has a lot of room for improvement from the last two years. I like the DE’s we have this year. GK is probably a 1st rounder and Mitchell might be a pro as well.

LB and DB weren’t great last year but some of those positions were addressed with transfers. Two kickers were also brought in.

I predicted 6-6. I think 7-9 wins is certainly not out of the question if the QB’s out perform expectations. Maybe we get a boost from a defense that gets pretty aggressive. Maybe one of the new DB’s surprises us.
We need to find a couple of fire plug/space eaters up front (DTs), every other position should be better (less MLB/Barnes)

We need to find a couple of fire plug/space eaters up front (DTs), every other position should be better (less MLB/Barnes)

RS frosh Austin is 300+
Transfer from IU is 300+
Aren’t they playing Washington at DT some at 310?

I believe they are playing some lighter guys at DT at 280ish. These guys might be active and be able to rush the passer.

The DT’s should be decent. DL overall could be a strength is we stay healthy.

Reactions: Poprudy
RS frosh Austin is 300+
Transfer from IU is 300+
Aren’t they playing Washington at DT some at 310?

I believe they are playing some lighter guys at DT at 280ish. These guys might be active and be able to rush the passer.

The DT’s should be decent. DL overall could be a strength is we stay healthy.
Don't forget Lawrence will get plenty of snaps.

Don't forget Lawrence will get plenty of snaps.

True. These DT’s are now being coached up by Hagen. Do you think they will learn to get after the QB? Learn how to stuff the run better. I have to say his presence makes this unit better.

I’m more optimistic about the DL than the LB’s and DB’s, but I think we have some talent in those position groups too. I will take a wait and see approach if they get better.

No I’m not saying any of them were good recruits for hazell. Just that those were guys he brought in that Were ready to go by year 5. And thus, you’d hope brohm could best that number
I'd hope so as well. Since the freshman in class #3 were better than sophomores in class #1 (the one where Brohm was hired then had like 1 month to recruit and brought over WKU commits), it will be another year minimum before you really start to see 5 year players Brohm brought in. Seems like most of that first class that was buried wasn't playing. Nature of improved recruiting.

I expect the first team defense to be pretty good. Depth though? Falls off fast.

I'd hope so as well. Since the freshman in class #3 were better than sophomores in class #1 (the one where Brohm was hired then had like 1 month to recruit and brought over WKU commits), it will be another year minimum before you really start to see 5 year players Brohm brought in. Seems like most of that first class that was buried wasn't playing. Nature of improved recruiting.
No no no we aren’t doing that. First, not nearly everyone I mentioned in the beginning was in their fifth year. It was just what would have been hazells fifth year.

Second, I don’t care if he had a month. He’s getting paid the kind of money where you should be able to go develop a mediocre class by year five.

you guys wanna keep moving it back and back and I think the reason some of my posts really frustrate you is that they intend the cut the knees of the excuses I know will be coming if this team falls flat.

if this team falls flat, the analysis should be that brohm hasn’t been very good.

I do love the effort to turn it into “oh so this is all about fifth year seniors.. he had a month, so you can BEGIN to expect things in year six” though.

now, I believe we will see things in year six for sure, even if George leaves, but there should be an expectation now

No no no we aren’t doing that. First, not nearly everyone I mentioned in the beginning was in their fifth year. It was just what would have been hazells fifth year.

Second, I don’t care if he had a month. He’s getting paid the kind of money where you should be able to go develop a mediocre class by year five.

you guys wanna keep moving it back and back and I think the reason some of my posts really frustrate you is that they intend the cut the knees of the excuses I know will be coming if this team falls flat.

if this team falls flat, the analysis should be that brohm hasn’t been very good.

I do love the effort to turn it into “oh so this is all about fifth year seniors.. he had a month, so you can BEGIN to expect things in year six” though.

now, I believe we will see things in year six for sure, even if George leaves, but there should be an expectation now
Nope. I expect it to show this year. Especially from the Bell, karlaftis class. They are upperclassmen and that was a good class. As I've mentioned before, unless you are osu, you aren't winning in the big ten with youth very easily. And while Brohm didn't win with the youngest team in the big ten for 2 straight years, he wasn't far off. Lots of single score games. Guess what happens to those single score losses as the team gets older, deeper. Being old is better than being younger and more talented.

Nope. I expect it to show this year. Especially from the Bell, karlaftis class. They are upperclassmen and that was a good class. As I've mentioned before, unless you are osu, you aren't winning in the big ten with youth very easily. And while Brohm didn't win with the youngest team in the big ten for 2 straight years, he wasn't far off. Lots of single score games. Guess what happens to those single score losses as the team gets older, deeper. Being old is better than being younger and more talented.
Im not so worried about what brohm hasn’t done so far except that it becomes extremely relevant if we don’t see at least a 3-9 season where we have bad luck but make progress all over the field.

if we start to see development from a lot of his guys, I won’t even want him gone if we are 3-9. If we don’t start to see it, then the past few years become extremely relevant.

Im not so worried about what brohm hasn’t done so far except that it becomes extremely relevant if we don’t see at least a 3-9 season where we have bad luck but make progress all over the field.

if we start to see development from a lot of his guys, I won’t even want him gone if we are 3-9. If we don’t start to see it, then the past few years become extremely relevant.
Hard to believe we won't see development

Hard to believe we won't see development
I believe we will. And if it unfolds like I think it will, i will have high praise for what I see.. EVEN IF we go 5-7.

the theory being That Diaco was a terrible hire that set us back, and so long as we made good hires after, there’s no need to cry over spilled milk.

but if we don’t, facts are facts. If brohm wants to be a great guy even if he turns in a shit performance, then he should come work at my job. He will fit right in lol. Just wave at everyone and smile and that’s all you need.. but major college football ain’t that

I believe we will. And if it unfolds like I think it will, i will have high praise for what I see.. EVEN IF we go 5-7.

the theory being That Diaco was a terrible hire that set us back, and so long as we made good hires after, there’s no need to cry over spilled milk.

but if we don’t, facts are facts. If brohm wants to be a great guy even if he turns in a shit performance, then he should come work at my job. He will fit right in lol. Just wave at everyone and smile and that’s all you need.. but major college football ain’t that
With Diaco, if George, Watts, and Mitchell don't get hurt, we still might go 4-2 or better.

With Diaco, if George, Watts, and Mitchell don't get hurt, we still might go 4-2 or better.
True. I think this year will answer all the questions. My theory is that this year will let us know which direction we are headed in 2022 and that 2022 will be a magnificAtion of that

I don’t think I’m in your camp either because my thing is, who are you gonna get? If we could get someone really good who isn’t gonna leave, I would have wanted brohm gone already. I also don’t think 8-4 is anything like 8-4 was in 2009.. and expecting that isn’t in line with reality.

I also think Purdue has a lot of people who jump sides and are always looking for the next side based on their last side..

So you’ll have a person rooting for Joey Elliott to start over Curtis painter but the more you read their posts the more you find out they really wanted Brandon kirsch to start over Orton, which made both Orton and painter bad guys so Elliot must be a great QB.

I’ve always suspected that a large number of brohm haters loved hazell because they thought spack should have been hired instead of big dan the rent man (gotta pay if you wanna stay).

im not into any of that. I’m just wondering if 16-9 sounds accurate and what the expectations are

Teams with bigger football brands have made dumb moves without thinking about "who are you gonna get?" Michigan thought it was too good for Lloyd Carr. Oops. Nebraska thought it was too good for Frank Solich (and then Pelini). Tennessee was too good for Fulmer. Unless the program is a bonafide dumpster fire, you need to have a better, obtainable option in mind before you kick a coach to the curb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT