ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm Only Has Himself to Blame

He took responsibility for what happened. He said the instructions to the team was “no more jawing - just play. You can’t control what the refs do, but we can control what we as a team do.” He said they as a team watched every penalty so far this season, too. They as a staff talked about the balance between being aggressive in coverage and being overaggressive (like on the last series playing man with 1 safety). We got burned by PSU and that weighed on them in the Cuse game. They purposely played more man. We only gave up 306 yards of total offense, 125 yards rushing, and 181 yards passing. That’s usually good enough to win games, especially with our offense.
Tack on 138 yards in penalties though.

My issue is he's said the same thing over and over again. And still it happens and costs games. Here is an excerpt from an article after the Northwestern game in 2018. Maybe he has a short memory and doesn't realize discipline is an ongoing process, not just a one time talking to...

"The lack-of-discipline part is on me and we'll work hard and I will work hard this week to get that fixed and make sure that we're not beating ourselves and doing just dumb things," Brohm said.

Brohm said Monday the Jones penalty and Lorenzo Neal's personal foul guaranteeing Northwestern's victory the week before were an indication of a Purdue team that "still has a lot of growing up to do" and a message to the head coach of poor leadership action by his football team. Through two games this season, Purdue is 120th nationally and 13th in the Big Ten in penalty yardage, obviously a major reason behind Purdue's 0-2 start to the 2018 campaign."
Mentioned the following in another thread. This is after the 2018 Missouri loss.

PENALTY WOES

After too many costly penalties the first two games of the season, Brohm sent a warning this week that players called for 15-yard penalties would be pulled from the game. It happened twice against Missouri. The first on center Kirk Barron late in the first quarter, but he never left the game. The other, like previous weeks, came on fourth down late in the game. Tackle Lorenzo Neal was called for roughing the passer and sent to the sideline for a play before he returned.

''We played a good football team and had a chance, but we shot ourselves in the foot,'' Brohm said. ''We can't beat a good team by doing silly things and that's what we did.''

Mentioned the following in another thread. This is after the 2018 Missouri loss.

PENALTY WOES

After too many costly penalties the first two games of the season, Brohm sent a warning this week that players called for 15-yard penalties would be pulled from the game. It happened twice against Missouri. The first on center Kirk Barron late in the first quarter, but he never left the game. The other, like previous weeks, came on fourth down late in the game. Tackle Lorenzo Neal was called for roughing the passer and sent to the sideline for a play before he returned.

''We played a good football team and had a chance, but we shot ourselves in the foot,'' Brohm said. ''We can't beat a good team by doing silly things and that's what we did.''
It would have been nice if he realized in 2022 these are all new players that need to get that same message PRIOR to it costing the team a win.

It would have been nice if he realized in 2022 these are all new players that need to get that same message PRIOR to it costing the team a win.
Yep, exactly...that's where discipline is a process that you instill in your coaching. You don't wait until after you have a problem every year to make that happen. Here's an article on Nick Saban and how focused he is on discipline. Yeah, people can take a jab and say that all his players are interchangeable, so it's easy to bench a player. But this is why he wins. He has a proactive discipline process where he clearly outlines his expectations and required code of conduct before the problem happens.

"Roughly six minutes into the game, redshirt freshman wide receiver Kevin Norwood scored his first career touchdown, a 36-yard catch-and-run on a crossing route. In the clear, he flipped into the end zone in celebration.

"You can't do that" was all Saban said on the sideline, but Norwood landed in the doghouse for embarrassing the coach and program. It took two months for Norwood to make another reception—and two years for him to score his second touchdown. He got the message."

Reactions: boilermaker75

PENALTY WOES

Maryland had 15 penalties for 141 yards on Saturday vs. SMU. No doubt, we need to get this cleaned up but let’s not act that Purdue is the only team that has issues like this. A number of flags against Purdue vs. Syracuse were bogus including the one on Trice and the one on Brohm.

Maryland had 15 penalties for 141 yards on Saturday vs. SMU. No doubt, we need to get this cleaned up but let’s not act that Purdue is the only team that has issues like this. A number of flags against Purdue vs. Syracuse were bogus including the one on Trice and the one on Brohm.
And Maryland is the benchmark for well coached programs.
October is coming.. about time for their annual nose dive.

Agree fully. Part of the PI's are a product of asking your players to play a lot of man coverage. It's going to happen at the college level, even with good technique. Situational coaching has to get better. Put your players and team in the position to be successful (i.e. SU last TD pass).

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Certainly Purdue is not the only team with these issues, and the penalties on Trice and Brohm were bogus.

But Brohm never should have been put in a position to have that penalty called on him or forced to ask the refs for clarification because -- once again, and not for the first time in that game -- he had a player completely negate a gigantic, potentially game-changing play by being totally undisciplined/stupid.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it rapidly gets to the point of my beginning to dislike players like Neal and Durham for this crap. How about instead of running your mouth/taking the bait, enthusiastically congratulate a teammate for a great play instead? I wouldn't put it past Lamont Simpson and the other clown B1G refs from throwing flags for that, but then we could legitimately complain. Durham's stupidity opened the door for the penalty on Brohm.

Refraining from talking trash in favor of being disciplined and intelligent does not equate to being a joyless automoton. From afar, it seems as if Brohm does not understand this or is unwilling to truly discipline players.

For me, the goal of this season is now for the team to demonstrate consistent and season-long discipline and self-control. I could be wrong, but I think many wins would follow.

The issue is not the bogus flags...it is the flat stupid ones, and, there were 2 on Saturday that absolutely influenced the outcome as such. It is something that has happened multiple times with Purdue while Brohm has been the coach, and, it is genuinely been a key factor in having lost games as a result.

Brohm needs to quit making excuses and apologizing and taking fake accountability and genuinely do something about it.

I could not care less possibly about Maryland...my guess even if I did would be that nobody drilled a guy out of bounds, and, even if they did, that they likely did not just go right back out on the field as though nothing had happened...or, that a guy got a penalty with less than a minute to go barking at a guy half his size. Even if those things did happen, it just means that their program has the same issue with a lack of discipline and accountability.

Certainly Purdue is not the only team with these issues, and the penalties on Trice and Brohm were bogus.

But Brohm never should have been put in a position to have that penalty called on him or forced to ask the refs for clarification because -- once again, and not for the first time in that game -- he had a player completely negate a gigantic, potentially game-changing play by being totally undisciplined/stupid.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it rapidly gets to the point of my beginning to dislike players like Neal and Durham for this crap. How about instead of running your mouth/taking the bait, enthusiastically congratulate a teammate for a great play instead? I wouldn't put it past Lamont Simpson and the other clown B1G refs from throwing flags for that, but then we could legitimately complain. Durham's stupidity opened the door for the penalty on Brohm.

Refraining from talking trash in favor of being disciplined and intelligent does not equate to being a joyless automoton. From afar, it seems as if Brohm does not understand this or is unwilling to truly discipline players.

For me, the goal of this season is now for the team to demonstrate consistent and season-long discipline and self-control. I could be wrong, but I think many wins would follow.
I don't know that I agree that may wins would follow, but, I am at least content with knowing that it won't be why losses generally do. I still think there are other issues that can/do/will keep this team from winning games, but, I would love to at least take lack of discipline/stupid game-changing penalties off the list.

No argument here on this

Reactions: Professor Emeritus
I have very little problem with pass interference penalties for being aggressive, especially on balls where the DB or safety gets beat. It's better than a long completion.

My issues are the personal foul and unsportsmanlike variety. Those have bit Purdue hard at moments of games. They're completely unnecessary and have cost Purdue games. Do something about those...

I have very little problem with pass interference penalties for being aggressive, especially on balls where the DB or safety gets beat. It's better than a long completion.

My issues are the personal foul and unsportsmanlike variety. Those have bit Purdue hard at moments of games. They're completely unnecessary and have cost Purdue games. Do something about those...
Absolutely. I will be here DEFENDING guys who get flagged for a questionable PI penalty (while the opponent does the same the entire game) and will call out the refs who make those calls. But bonehead penalties or ones that arise from putting SELF before TEAM... completely different story. Those individuals put themselves in line for the criticism, both players and coach. Unfortunately, we got a heaping helping of both scenarios on Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT