ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm Only Has Himself to Blame

purduepat1969

All-American
Sep 28, 2011
Worst in game coaching effort to lose two games I've seen in a long time. If he doesn't make some coaching changes (himself calling plays), firing the special teams coordinator, and creating some player discipline, we'll just continue to see the same over and over...

Right on. Brohm's teams have established a pattern of being largely undisciplined, stupid, and immature.

It's not a good look for Purdue University
This isn’t true. Up until this year we were bottom 30 in penalties every year.

It’s frustrating for sure but all the yelling in the world doesn’t stop what we saw today. Refs gave SU way too much leeway.

It’s frustrating for sure but all the yelling in the world doesn’t stop what we saw today. Refs gave SU way too much leeway.
False. We historically have made the dumbest, most inexcusable penalties at critical times of the game under Brohm than I can recall in recent history.

Reactions: drewjin

You are correct about the refs but the lack of discipline is inexcusable. Durham had no business under any circumstances for getting that penalty and the coach's just was as equally bad. Also, on the last seconds TD why was there not at least 1-2 DBs standing on the goal line as a TD was necessary and you do not want anyone getting behind the DB? Keep the play in front of you. Failure to do that is simply bad coaching.

Last edited:
Right on. Brohm's teams have established a pattern of being largely undisciplined, stupid, and immature.

It's not a good look for Purdue University
We need to fire him and find another Tiller or Young. This crap defense,pass,pass pass offense SUCKS!!~!~

they say you should not blame the refs or allow the refs to decide the outcome of the game. So don't blame the refs for this loss. the refs didn't create Purdue's unsportsmanlike conduct. and as others have noted, with a bit of coaching, this game should never have been close. it's almost as if we have the nebraska virus.

Looking back at hazell's record, there were a few games where his teams played good enough to lose. a couple of breaks, and he would have won a couple more games. the same was true with hope. the same was true with tiller.

good teams don't make mistakes! good teams know what the rules are and don't get penalized in the last minute, especially after scoring the go ahead touchdown. our offense should know our defense is not that great - especially in the 4th quarter. We gave this one to Syracuse. that's what bad teams do.

• Sad
I believe I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I'd rather have a really boring game that was a win, than a really exciting game that was a loss. and how many people got on my case? So are you all happy? rather than a boring low scoring win, you got your pass happy exciting loss.

A team can commit few penalties, but it is when they are committed and what kind that matter most.

Yes, the officials were awful today. But that doesn't excuse the lack of intelligence and composure on Purdue’s part, which led directly to the loss.

I believe I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I'd rather have a really boring game that was a win, than a really exciting game that was a loss. and how many people got on my case? So are you all happy? rather than a boring low scoring win, you got your pass happy exciting loss.
you noted Iowa and Wisconsin who are boring and still lost so now what's your point?
Please don't answer I don't care what you think

Reactions: pboiler18
Worst in game coaching effort to lose two games I've seen in a long time. If he doesn't make some coaching changes (himself calling plays), firing the special teams coordinator, and creating some player discipline, we'll just continue to see the same over and over...
The D coordinator should have to answer some basic questions about the coverages we played on that last possession

Reviewing the actual numbers instead of being a whiney bitch would help your case here
Whiney bitch? If you look at the timing of the calls and their individual nature, you'd understand. Sullivan out of bounds unnecessary roughness. Durham mouthing off on the extra point. The special teams coach getting another penalty on top of that.

Your "numbers" don't show any of that.

Iowa and Wisconsin lost their games last week. It made you look like an idiot.

Reactions: pboiler18
The D coordinator should have to answer some basic questions about the coverages we played on that last possession
He can't though, as, if he could...it would not have happened...like I said in another thread, that was some basic Jr. HS stuff that he/they missed there...that was just awful, and, that it may be ignored or glossed over is ridiculous.

More importantly, the odds of literally anyone from here asking him such questions is next to none...nobody asks any legitimate tough questions...everybody just likes to do "10 things learned (of which 8 are probably completely irrelevant, stupid, or, both)" or a "3-2-1" breakdown where there is almost a hint of criticism, but, no real criticism.

I just can't understand how things that Brohm seemingly perceives as trivial, or, don't even matter, are things that most schools deem important, if not critical (i.e.., no running game (and, no legit RBs on top of it)...Special Teams...clock management, etc.).

I have largely defended him as much as anyone...I thought he did a crap job in '20, but, chalked it up on his part mostly to Covid, but, he made just a horrible, horrible decision in hiring Diaco that was a large part of that as well.

Losing Lambert sucked...not having any plan when it happened only compounded it, and, English has done a crap job when it has mattered in the 2 games this year against genuine competition.

Special Teams...just utterly brutal under Brohm for the vast majority of his time here.

The clock management thing is just mind boggling...I guess I get at this point that he is horrible at it, but, it is not as if his brother and kid and others are not standing right next to him the entire time and are incapable of saying something...like, "Hey...maybe a time out here makes some sense."

Purdue flat gave that game away today...they beat Purdue far more than Syracuse did...they still somehow could have won save some of the worst officiating ever, but, all of the bad decisions, lack of discipline and mistakes that preceded that is what allowed that to happen in the end.

Losing Lambert has turned out to be a pretty massive loss. Not liking the defensive product thus far.
And, it comes as no surprise...again, Brohm has treated the DC position as if it is just not important.

He fired Holt...with no plan as to who to hire to replace him...then ended up with the Darrel Hazell of DCs as a result...fired him, went with a tri-DC arrangement of some sort (which is pretty crazy in itself)...lost what appears to have been the key guy of that arrangement, and, chose not to replace him (although, if he had and it was someone along the lines of Diaco, better to not have)...but, thus far...this has been a step back (again), and, it is an issue (yet again) as well.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Nobody from Gold & Black or associated with Purdue will hold him accountable or say what a horrible job he did, but, Doyel nailed it...props to him.

Doyel: Purdue Purdue’d all over itself in final minutes, throws game away to Syracuse​

After taking a 29-25 lead, Purdue committed five penalties in the final 51 seconds. Any idea how incredible, how impossible, that is? It’s so unfathomable, I’m reviewing the play-by-play to make sure and … nope. My mistakes. The Boilers didn’t commit five penalties in the final 51 seconds.

They committed six.

Well, seven, but Syracuse declined the last one. By that point the Orange didn’t need Purdue’s help anymore. The Boilers had already done enough to lose this game. And their fan base. And a job or two on the Purdue coaching staff, perhaps. Maybe more. Maybe all of them, someday.

I certainly think Lambert finds a way to not give up the big pass play (and PIs today). Not sure why we are in a little more cover two on 3rd and 10 and 17 seconds
Because of poor coaching...simple as that.

They lack quality personnel back there, and, the scheme is lousy as well.

And, they lack leadership...Trice might provide some, but, he was more worried about flash today than substance as well at times

Taylor has been a major disappointment...more so in knowing just how good and talented that kid was...Indinia ruined him, and, Purdue is just enabling him at this point...and, only because they simply don't have anyone better somehow (which is sad in and of itself).

Reactions: TheGunner

And, they lack leadership...Trice might provide some, but, he was more worried about flash today than substance as well at times

Taylor has been a major disappointment...more so in knowing just how good and talented that kid was...Indinia ruined him, and, Purdue is just enabling him at this point...and, only because they simply don't have anyone better somehow (which is sad in and of itself).
It’s just not healthy to be a Purdue fan. SMH

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?

thought the kid from KSU would help but of course he's hurt

thought the kid from KSU would help but of course he's hurt
And, maybe he will...I hope that he does...but, again...YEAR 6, and, STILL don't have quality guys at the position, and, as such, have to hope that a guy from somewhere else MIGHT be able to help.

I was hopeful before the season started.Now i'm not.This team is undiciplined.Too many penalties.Some players need an ass kicking.I don't think the coaches believe in it.

Brohm's biggest problem seems to be recruiting assistants. Too much incest, half the staff is family or from Western Kentucky. Not exactly big time conference or football. He needs to fire the OC and act like a HC.

While I agree with the point on the whole, the absolutely ridiculous pick-6 on O'Connell can't be just ignored either...that can't happen...should not happen with a guy that lacks experience, but, just can't happen with a guy that is a 6th-year guy and absolutely knows. Yes, the OL failed yet again, but, get rid of the ball...and, don't just hand it over to the opposing team for 6-points in doing so.

they say you should not blame the refs or allow the refs to decide the outcome of the game. So don't blame the refs for this loss. the refs didn't create Purdue's unsportsmanlike conduct. and as others have noted, with a bit of coaching, this game should never have been close. it's almost as if we have the nebraska virus.

Looking back at hazell's record, there were a few games where his teams played good enough to lose. a couple of breaks, and he would have won a couple more games. the same was true with hope. the same was true with tiller.

good teams don't make mistakes! good teams know what the rules are and don't get penalized in the last minute, especially after scoring the go ahead touchdown. our offense should know our defense is not that great - especially in the 4th quarter. We gave this one to Syracuse. that's what bad teams do.
Every coach could win a few more games a year with less mist as kes...good grief. Comparing any coach to hazzel is just wrong. He was pathetic. Regarding brohm...he's never going to coach a disciplined team but purdue needs to play with a little of that. Unfortunate loss but brohm is our ceiling as a coach so get over it.

Every coach could win a few more games a year with less mist as kes...good grief. Comparing any coach to hazzel is just wrong. He was pathetic. Regarding brohm...he's never going to coach a disciplined team but purdue needs to play with a little of that. Unfortunate loss but brohm is our ceiling as a coach so get over it.

Why would he be our ceiling? If we're willing to pay for a good coach we'll get one...

Again, not suggesting he be let go. But why do we become satisfied that Purdue can't do better?

Why would he be our ceiling? If we're willing to pay for a good coach we'll get one...

Again, not suggesting he be let go. But why do we become satisfied that Purdue can't do better?
Because when you have only had 2 basketball coaches in 40+ years, and, 2 other successful football coaches only in that same time frame, you get lulled into believing it.

maybe he means if anyone does better than Brohm their gone because let's face it Purdue is a stepping stone job,

Reactions: purduepat1969
maybe he means if anyone does better than Brohm their gone because let's face it Purdue is a stepping stone job,
Is it though?

I would argue that with the money and resources flowing to the program via the conference TV deals that we can make it very appealing to stay here.

I don’t think we’ll ever truly know as Brohm hasn’t had the results here to garner attention from the true big boys. That said, Tennessee is a better job and he turned them down (that was 4+ years ago now) but Tennessee because of the conference and their schedule is maybe the worst of the high profile jobs in that conference.

I only see us as a stepping stone to the true elite programs at this point. We have the TV money to pay our coach(es) whatever we want now. From there…it’s what they’d demand in the market that drives the actual worth. Just a few years ago Brohm was in the top 8 of paid coaches in the nation after his new deal and spurning UT and Louisville.

I think Brohm would only leave for an elite program, the NFL or his alma mater. Being able to make $6-7mil, have lowered expectations from a fan base and be able to average 6 wins and still have most of the fan base happy with the job you’ve done is a really good attribute to have in a job. Not having to deal with Nebraska or elite level programs expectations is truly underrated.

Reactions: DAG10
I certainly think Lambert finds a way to not give up the big pass play (and PIs today). Not sure why we arent in cover two on 3rd and 10 and 17 seconds.

Best pass rushers and a dime package.
I was saying the same thing:
Put in 4 D ends and let them get after the QB instead of leaving 2 DLs in who are gassed and can't move. They aint running the ball at that point!
And, as far as defending the pass in that situation, how are you not in a 2 deep zone? Were they really in man? (might have been because he blitzed the LBs and had to play man).

He took responsibility for what happened. He said the instructions to the team was “no more jawing - just play. You can’t control what the refs do, but we can control what we as a team do.” He said they as a team watched every penalty so far this season, too. They as a staff talked about the balance between being aggressive in coverage and being overaggressive (like on the last series playing man with 1 safety). We got burned by PSU and that weighed on them in the Cuse game. They purposely played more man. We only gave up 306 yards of total offense, 125 yards rushing, and 181 yards passing. That’s usually good enough to win games, especially with our offense.

He took responsibility for what happened. He said the instructions to the team was “no more jawing - just play. You can’t control what the refs do, but we can control what we as a team do.” He said they as a team watched every penalty so far this season, too. They as a staff talked about the balance between being aggressive in coverage and being overaggressive (like on the last series playing man with 1 safety). We got burned by PSU and that weighed on them in the Cuse game. They purposely played more man. We only gave up 306 yards of total offense, 125 yards rushing, and 181 yards passing. That’s usually good enough to win games, especially with our offense.
Awesome...aside of the option of ignoring it, what was he going to do or say?

I mean, I talk to kids in Jr. HS about "controlling what you can control"...had he/they not already had that conversation at any/some point? Never mind in that this has been an issue before?

Maybe having reviewed the penalties after the PSU game instead of after the 3rd game may have made sense, yes? Especially in hindsight? Do you even have to review the Sullivan penalty? How about maybe addressing that with him immediately, rather than having him sit out a play before going right back out there?

Why don't they have a conversation as a staff and realize that they need actual DBs that are quality DBs and that can cover guys without committing penalties, or, getting lost in coverage, or, not understanding scheme? Quit looking at guys that weren't good where they were...or that have never played D-I football. I mean, if guys at this level don't realize that you can't hold guys, run into guys, grab guys, etc., or, that you can't let a guy run by you or behind you when a TD is all that can beat you....then, THAT seems like a much bigger issue than some alleged "fine line" of being aggressive or not.

Playing more man was great...when it made sense...NOT when you can only lose a game by a TD and you simply ONLY have to keep the other team out of the end zone...and, if that did not register with the DC...or, more importantly, the HC...then THAT is a HUGE issue, and, one that simply cannot be explained away in any genuine way.

What he said was no doubt what happened and accurate...but, way too little, way too late...that he even had to do it for that matter seems pretty lame. Glossed over in his comments that he made was his noting that they needed to knock it off in practice as well, which, is absolutely part of why the problem existed to begin with...it was condoned.

Like say, great to learn from mistakes...but, this has already happened, and, is basic stuff anyway. Done and over now though...hopefully they will indeed learn from it, and, hopefully it does not cost them additional games...I am skeptical admittedly, but, hopeful.

My issue is he's said the same thing over and over again. And still it happens and costs games. Here is an excerpt from an article after the Northwestern game in 2018. Maybe he has a short memory and doesn't realize discipline is an ongoing process, not just a one time talking to...

"The lack-of-discipline part is on me and we'll work hard and I will work hard this week to get that fixed and make sure that we're not beating ourselves and doing just dumb things," Brohm said.

Brohm said Monday the Jones penalty and Lorenzo Neal's personal foul guaranteeing Northwestern's victory the week before were an indication of a Purdue team that "still has a lot of growing up to do" and a message to the head coach of poor leadership action by his football team. Through two games this season, Purdue is 120th nationally and 13th in the Big Ten in penalty yardage, obviously a major reason behind Purdue's 0-2 start to the 2018 campaign."

Reactions: NVboiler and DAG10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT