ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm long term

For those questioning money being the only factor in possibly losing Brohm:

Butch Jones at Tennessee made $4.11 million per year placing him 9th in the SEC but puts him in the 'range' of Malzahn @ Auburn ($4.73) who is #3. Jim McElwain @ Florida made roughly the same amount of $4.27 million.

Brohm's current contract is roughly $3.3 million per year which places him and would rank him 7th in the B1G with the capacity to earn more if results show. That would place him #28 in the country according to last year's NCAAF Coaches Salary Graph by USA Today. I believe Purdue could easily match or exceed offers floated toward Brohm with the exception of the following programs:

SEC: Alabama & Texas A&M
B1G: OSU, Michigan, PSU
Big 12: Oklahoma & Texas
Pac 12: Oregon
ACC: FSU & Clemson

After the first 11 coaches in the USA Today poll from last year, the salary begins at $4.47 million for Clemson's Dabo Sweeney. I highly doubt that unless Brohm consistent has Purdue competing and/or winning conference titles, one of those programs will come sniffing around and be able to offer more than what Purdue could. At that point, I would imagine the AD would be able to match any offer or exceed it to make Brohm's decision to stay with what he has built at Purdue an incredibly hard one.

My point in a nutshell: If Purdue can and is willing to pay $3.3 million after the roughest patch of history...they'd be willing AND able to pay Brohm an additional $1-$2 million per year to ensure him staying. I have much more of a feeling it would have to do with other intangibles for Brohm such as increased support staff pay, increased salaries for assistant coaches, and new facilities/etc.
Love this reply, and it was very thought out and answered my original thread question. Thank you JohnnyDoe

Good question. I was hoping he wouldn't leave Purdue after a few successful seasons. Seems like he wouldn't but you never know?

I was listening to clay Travis the other morning and this kind of arrogance is what I hate. "Oh if Arkansas fires bielema they might just take brohm from Purdue in the offseason." As though the attitude is "even if you do something right, the product of your work belongs to these chosen programs." It's elitism and honestly if that's the way it goes I doubt I follow much college football going forward...

Reactions: 70boiler
Tiller would have taken us much further if not for the impediment that was Morgan Burke.

For the same resources, Brohm can do a lot more than Saban can.

Saban had better resources at MSU than Tiller did at Purdue and Tiller owned him.

oh, man. Can we stop this crap? Please?

Burke is gone. Tiller was great but had his faults.

Hazell is gone. Danny Hope is gone.

Brohm is here. The future is now. Live in the past, or live for the now.

Reactions: 70boiler
oh, man. Can we stop this crap? Please?

Burke is gone. Tiller was great but had his faults.

Hazell is gone. Danny Hope is gone.

Brohm is here. The future is now. Live in the past, or live for the now.

I'll respond to those who don't think Purdue can become a prominent program and degrade past great coaches as I like.

We all need to say a prayer today for what those "in the past" did for Purdue.

I'll respond to those who don't think Purdue can become a prominent program and degrade past great coaches as I like.

We all need to say a prayer today for what those "in the past" did for Purdue.

Nobody should be degraded. Coaches, players or admin.
This is a great program, and we should all be proud to be Boilermakers!

And I agree with the prayer of gratitude!

Hope he stays, but realistically it will be very challenging to keep him long term. I personally would not hold it against him if he left for a traditional power. How could you? We should just enjoy it in the moment. When we had the baby boilers, there were tons of anxious threads about "the future" after they left and I don't think some fans could fully just enjoy the moment.

Ok, the UM game is over. In keeping with the bipolar nature of the group maybe it's time to table this discussion for a couple weeks and instead kick around some potential replacements for the current staff.

Reactions: FirstDownB
Hope he stays, but realistically it will be very challenging to keep him long term. I personally would not hold it against him if he left for a traditional power. How could you? We should just enjoy it in the moment. When we had the baby boilers, there were tons of anxious threads about "the future" after they left and I don't think some fans could fully just enjoy the moment.

what people fail to understand is that not everyone is motivated by the same thing.

In other words, not everyone is motivated by money. Nor coaching a "higher profile" program.

Otherwise, Wisconsin would still be a cellar program. I could cite other examples, the point is, there's no reason we cannot hold on to coaches like Brohm.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
If Purdue is paying him 3.3 million a year then you can mark ND off that list. The administration won't pay any new head football coach that much money.

what people fail to understand is that not everyone is motivated by the same thing.

In other words, not everyone is motivated by money. Nor coaching a "higher profile" program.

Otherwise, Wisconsin would still be a cellar program. I could cite other examples, the point is, there's no reason we cannot hold on to coaches like Brohm.

Absolutely, this could be Brohm's final destination as a head coach. He can do it all at Purdue and that is a much, much greater accomplishment than doing it at a program like Alabama.

I suppose you could be right. I thought Petrino was older than he actually is. I was thinking he was in his early 60's, but actually he is only 56. So let's hope he stays at Louisville for another 10 years or so! :)
All we need to do is keep supplying Petrino with young co-eds that like to ride motorcycles. He will stay forever. Maybe Pitino can "hook" him up. Such a classy University.

Reactions: TheBoris
All we need to do is keep supplying Petrino with young co-eds that like to ride motorcycles. He will stay forever. Maybe Pitino can "hook" him up. Such a classy University.
Louisville's former Dean of Education, Dr. Robert Felnor, is in jail for embezzling grant money. He won a $2 million federal grant for some research in backwater Kaintuck schools. Hired a research firm to conduct the study. They subsequently produced great research findings, great publication, highly acclaimed by peers.

Actually it was a bit to good. A reporter with the louisville Courier-Journal decided to follow up with the schools in the boondocks to see if they had improved their school system IAW Felnor's study. They never heard of him nor the research firm that he hired. They had never been there. The research firm and Felnor had pencil-whipped the entire study and then split the $2 million.

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ces-63-months-in-prison-restitution/12064695/

Reactions: Bob the Boiler
If Purdue is paying him 3.3 million a year then you can mark ND off that list. The administration won't pay any new head football coach that much money.

Yes they will. But Kelly isn't going anywhere. No need to worry about the Domers, but TN is a real possibility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT