ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm long term

Dec 16, 2010
Ft. Wayne Indiana
I will be the first to admit I don't know the answer to my question. Brohm looks like the absolutely best possible hire Purdue could have made. What are the odds the big money programs come calling and would Purdue be able to make it hard for him to leave?

Reactions: TMA62 and Zaphod_B
By all reports, he was happy at Western Kentucky making $800K per year. Now he is being paid $3.3 MM which could reach $4.5 MM with bonuses. That will buy you a very large house in West Lafayette, IN. I'm not sure another $2-3 MM would feel any different to him, given he drives an old Honda

He does not strike me as someone who is always looking for the next opportunity. And his demeanor seems like such a good fit with Purdue and our current administrators. He's just been given the keys to a spectacular performance facility which he can use to recruit through his connections in the Indianapolis/Louisville areas.

The one vulnerability could be U of L. But I'm not sure he would want to be involved in that corrupt mess anytime soon.

Want to keep him at Purdue? Get season tickets and join JPC. I think he and his staff were grateful for the great crowd vs. Ohio U. That the Boiler faithful returned to Ross Ade so quickly is a tribute to their loyalty; particularly after almost a decade of lousy football.

Last edited:
By all reports, he was happy at Western Kentucky making $800K per year. Now he is being paid $3.3 MM which could reach $4.5 MM with bonuses. That will buy you a very large house in West Lafayette, IN. I'm not sure another $2-3 MM would feel any different to him, given he drives an old Honda

He does not strike me as someone who is always looking for the next opportunity. And his demeanor seems like such a good fit with Purdue and our current administrators. He's just been given the keys to a spectacular performance facility which he can use to recruit through his connections in the Indianapolis/Louisville areas.

The one vulnerability could be U of L. But I'm not sure he would want to be involved in that corrupt mess right anytime soon.

Want to keep him at Purdue? Get season tickets and join JPC. I think he and his staff were grateful for the great crowd vs. Ohio U. That the Boiler faithful returned to Ross Ade so quickly is a tribute to their loyalty; particularly after almost a decade of lousy football.
Thank you for the great response. I kind of felt the same way, but didn't want to sound naive.

Reactions: chiboiler7
I could make the argument that a winning football program is worth $10M a year to the athletic department. Easily. But the question would not be a simple business decision as I don't think Purdue board would be willing to match Michigan or ND money on principle. However after the last five years I think they would be willing to keep the compensation very competitive with 90% of P5 schools. If one of the other 10% knock on the door, they offer things we can't offer anyway, then you're just SOL that's life.

One thing that our AD should stress and hopefully CJB really considers. Is the fact that we are on the side of the B1G that is considered the weaker of the two. Once he gets us rolling he will always have a chance to really compete to win our side and play for the title despite the record. To me that is our biggest strength at keeping him long term.

Good question. I was hoping he wouldn't leave Purdue after a few successful seasons. Seems like he wouldn't but you never know?

Reactions: Boiler1313
It's been said he still has a lot of his NFL money left, I don't think money is really an issue for Brohm or a driving factor in his decisions. I think it's university commitment and facilities. As long as we continue to support the program so he has a chance to compete, he's happy as he's in the Big Ten so no program is going to be a step in conference from that, so it's comes down to University support and only a few schools have the name recognition and facilities to really be a large enough step up to tempt him.

Lots of unhappiness in Tennessee, not sure if they are big enough, but have heard Brohm's name mentioned among fans. Of course they are also probably one of the most delusional fan bases out there. They haven't competed for anything in a long time now, they might be the equivalent of IU in Football.

Reactions: drfpurdue
IMHO, in the AD's END OF THE YEAR meeting with him and his staff, ask him what the program needs are to continue to move the Football Team forward, be it more or better facilities, uniforms, budgets, etc and if their contracts need to be re-worked to reward and protect both sides, do it!
Yeah, agree with this. Hopefully the university continues its support.

I could make the argument that a winning football program is worth $10M a year to the athletic department. Easily. But the question would not be a simple business decision as I don't think Purdue board would be willing to match Michigan or ND money on principle. However after the last five years I think they would be willing to keep the compensation very competitive with 90% of P5 schools. If one of the other 10% knock on the door, they offer things we can't offer anyway, then you're just SOL that's life.

Clemson was not a power house football school. It was turned into one by their coach and he isn't going anywhere. He now has his choice of the top players every year. Purdue could do the same thing. They have the right coach. It's up to the AD to keep pay competitive and facilities top of the line. I think he will like it here, but we have to keep his buyout very high.

There are no guarantees in life. If Brohm is successful for 1 or 2 years at PU, you can bet the house that some powerhouse programs will come after him with a ton of $ and promises of competing for national championships.
There's not much MBob can do in that situation.
What I think Brohm could do at PU over the long term and to establish his legacy with the new commitment and facilities, is reaffirm PU as the undisputed Cradle of QBs, get one a Heisman, make 5* receivers want to come here and catch 120 balls a year, have an offense that always gives you a shot in every game.
But, any speculation that money isn't the issue is wrong. It's ALWAYS about the money.

Clemson was not a power house football school. It was turned into one by their coach and he isn't going anywhere. He now has his choice of the top players every year. Purdue could do the same thing. They have the right coach. It's up to the AD to keep pay competitive and facilities top of the line. I think he will like it here, but we have to keep his buyout very high.

Exactly, renegotiate his contract. When we are done paying Hazel add that to Brohm's compensation in exchange for a much larger buyout.

Reactions: TheGunner
I will be the first to admit I don't know the answer to my question. Brohm looks like the absolutely best possible hire Purdue could have made. What are the odds the big money programs come calling and would Purdue be able to make it hard for him to leave?

I heard two national radio shows, College Sports Sunday and Outkick the Coverage, both mention big schools like Nebraska, LSU, Tennessee, Florida, Auburn, Texas A&M and potentially a couple more will be looking for coaches and Brohm's name came up. Heck even Louisville fans seem fed up with Petrino right now and his lack of beating anyone really good (but how do they forget Florida State last year).

It's been said he still has a lot of his NFL money left, I don't think money is really an issue for Brohm or a driving factor in his decisions. I think it's university commitment and facilities. As long as we continue to support the program so he has a chance to compete, he's happy as he's in the Big Ten so no program is going to be a step in conference from that, so it's comes down to University support and only a few schools have the name recognition and facilities to really be a large enough step up to tempt him.

Lots of unhappiness in Tennessee, not sure if they are big enough, but have heard Brohm's name mentioned among fans. Of course they are also probably one of the most delusional fan bases out there. They haven't competed for anything in a long time now, they might be the equivalent of IU in Football.
I think Miles would be a good fit at Tenn.

Short of the Louisville job, I think Brohm would have established a certain level of success here before he would leave. i.e. if he determines Purdue as a school doesn't have the resources he needs in order to reach competitive levels in the sport, he would move on. He is a no frills competitor and I'd assume that at some point if he felt he was being hamstrung by Purdue's ceiling, he'd look elsewhere and I wouldn't hold that against him.

All things considered, he's in a good position right now. Very little expectations from the fanbase. He can build his own program from the ground up with complete control. Brand new facilities and investments into football. Midwest guy and close enough to his hometown.

I heard two national radio shows, College Sports Sunday and Outkick the Coverage, both mention big schools like Nebraska, LSU, Tennessee, Florida, Auburn, Texas A&M and potentially a couple more will be looking for coaches and Brohm's name came up. Heck even Louisville fans seem fed up with Petrino right now and his lack of beating anyone really good (but how do they forget Florida State last year).

Tennessee would be the scariest in that group of school. CJB is a Midwest guy. He likes the area and like recruiting the area with his pipelines. The other schools would greatly displace him. He just got to Purdue, so I would be surprised if he leaves after one year. He still has something to prove.

Louisville is the biggest concern. Petrino doesn't appear to get his guys ready and they are always undisciplined. When Lamar leaves they will take a huge dip. I think Louisville really messed up by not firing Petrino last year and bringing in CJB.

Baylor is probably kicking themselves for taking Rhule and not going all in with CJB. I couldn't be happier. Baylor should have had their football team taken away for what happened. Baylor being absolutely terrible is just so satisfying.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
It seems from a distance that Brohm and Purdue are made for each other and it will be a long-lasting, fruitful relationship: Right place, right time, right guy.

But if we do have a Lee Rose Redux, I am completely confident that Bobinski will make the correct hire.

Tennessee would be the scariest in that group of school. CJB is a Midwest guy. He likes the area and like recruiting the area with his pipelines. The other schools would greatly displace him. He just got to Purdue, so I would be surprised if he leaves after one year. He still has something to prove.

Louisville is the biggest concern. Petrino doesn't appear to get his guys ready and they are always undisciplined. When Lamar leaves they will take a huge dip. I think Louisville really messed up by not firing Petrino last year and bringing in CJB.

Baylor is probably kicking themselves for taking Rhule and not going all in with CJB. I couldn't be happier. Baylor should have had their football team taken away for what happened. Baylor being absolutely terrible is just so satisfying.

Pretty tough to fire Petrino last year after their season though.

It seems from a distance that Brohm and Purdue are made for each other and it will be a long-lasting, fruitful relationship: Right place, right time, right guy.

But if we do have a Lee Rose Redux, I am completely confident that Bobinski will make the correct hire.
I am all in on Brohm, but if he should leave, would it just be next Brohm up? Would we try to pull from within his staff? Just wondering. I hope Brohm is around for 10 years, so just a hypothetical.

I pondered that too. Let's say Jeff goes to Louisville in maybe 2-3 years after giving us a few good seasons. Do you give Brian a chance before you open the search up?

There are actually surprisingly few P5 coaches who leave to coach at other P5 schools. This year the Texas, LSU, and Oregon jobs were all open. People were talking like they could name their price and hire anyone... LSU promoted a coordinator, while Texas and Oregon poached rising stars from the American Conference. The prior year the biggest open jobs were USC,Georgia, and Miami. Again.. USC- hired from within, Georgia- signed Bama's DC, Miami- pulled Mark Richt off of unemployment.
There is a strong trend of coaches choosing staying in place once they get a secure P5 gig.
Maybe the Louisville thing is a risk, who knows.. I think Petrino has earned some job security and will be there awhile. If he was a bit older I could see the Tiller thing happening (basketball school gets good in football, then becomes complacent with 7/8 win seasons, pressures the coach out), but he's only 56 and has a huge buyout.

Last edited:
I am not sure. I am not naive enough to think he will be here forever. My gut says he will do at least a few years here before sniffing at a blue blood or an NFL gig. He would be crazy not to consider it. I don't think he would jump before that.

I have confidence in this administration if he does leave to find another guy who can do the same things. I think there are any of about 6-8 people Bobinski could have brought in who would be a good fit. I think he will find someone else and we will be OK.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
IF he continues to win, it will only be a matter of time before he leaves. That is just reality. People should start pulling for TN, ND, and FL to start winning.

Reactions: DannyGranger
IF he continues to win, it will only be a matter of time before he leaves. That is just reality. People should start pulling for TN, ND, and FL to start winning.

No way he leaves after one season, he'd be ripped apart in recruiting over that. So no, you want them to lose and replace coaches this year to buy time.

I think he would be a great fit for Tennessee. He be closer to getting a national title at Tennessee than of course being at Purdue. Look at the recruiting geographical area compared to Purdue. No... Money is not an issue but a national title is. Plus look at the living areas why would anyone want to live in West Lafayette when you could live in a million dollar house in the quite smoky mountains. Stephanie White did it for all the reasons I mentioned above...and of course she went for the money too... Fever were paying her Peanuts. Great move Stephanie Mr. Brohm not far behind.

Enjoy the ride, we have only played 3 games and we are worried about him leaving. We gave him a huge opportunity to take over a program struggling with no expectations and letting him run the whole program as he see fit. Great facilities once again and as we continue to fill up the stadium week in week out we can continue to stay competitive from a compensation standpoint when that time comes to discuss. I now have faith in our AD to figure out when that is and we can just enjoy a season of good Big Ten football once again. Beat Michigan

I have seen no reason for Brohm to leave Purdue. Such speculation is out of bounds at this point. Somebody said Tenn might arrive with $$$'s. Well, I call Bull Spit on that. UT is running close to getting the dreaded NCAA "sanctions" for doing crap they shouldn't. I don't think we will see a armored car arrive in West Laff any time soon! It's like delusional IU fans and Stevens - Yeh sure, he will leave e Celtics for IU.... just waiting for the right offer, eh?. LOL!

By the way, I expect this thread to be used against us as a negative recruiting point. "Look, even the Boilermaker fans think he will leave soon". Let's stop the wild and weird speculation about a coach that is 2-1 so far.

Reactions: Frankie611
If he does leave...

We should at least consider the OC/QB coach that Brohm worked under during his formative years as Louisville's QB. That's probably where most of his knowledge comes from...

Oh wait, never mind. It was Nord.

This is so like us. We finally get a good coach and after 3 games he's too good for us.

Agree with this. Let's just enjoy the ride and not be constantly looking over our shoulder to see who might be there. It's all speculation and we'll never know who is willing to pay out the mega bucks to make it happen or who he might be interested in anyway until it actually happens. We may have to cross this road some day but not right now and probably not after one season unless we go to the BTCG or something unfathomable like that (and if we do that I'd be thrilled with him even if he did move on afterwards).

I did start the thread, but didn't take it to some of the places it has gone. My question was based on a facility standpoint, state of where the program is going and money standpoint, whether Purdue has crossed a bridge that we are no longer a stepping stone program. I honestly believe he will be here for at least a few years. What brought up the question is the media speculation that his name is already coming up in conversations for other jobs at "bigger, better programs".

I love the fact that we have a coach that people are speculating is a great coach and that others would want as their coach. It's a great problem to have and I hope Purdue would be willing if the time comes to do everything possible to keep him.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
First, Brohm has to prove he is worthy of getting attention from big programs. He has to establish that first. Second, if another school really wants him, they have to buy out Purdue's contract. At $3.3 million a year for 6 years, that's a lot of money. And if Louisville or somone else wants him enough to pay off Purdue, we will have a lot of money to go after whomever we want.

Reactions: Boiler1313
There are actually surprisingly few P5 coaches who leave to coach at other P5 schools. This year the Texas, LSU, and Oregon jobs were all open. People were talking like they could name their price and hire anyone... LSU promoted a coordinator, while Texas and Oregon poached rising stars from the American Conference. The prior year the biggest open jobs were USC,Georgia, and Miami. Again.. USC- hired from within, Georgia- signed Bama's DC, Miami- pulled Mark Richt off of unemployment.
There is a strong trend of coaches choosing staying in place once they get a secure P5 gig.
Maybe the Louisville thing is a risk, who knows.. I think Petrino has earned some job security and will be there awhile. If he was a bit older I could see the Tiller thing happening (basketball school gets good in football, then becomes complacent with 7/8 win seasons, pressures the coach out), but he's only 56 and has a huge buyout.
You are riight. Even for the money, the coaches have wised up to some of the crazy expectations the larger programs fan bases bring.

They won a national championship in '81, have a huge fan base, with a rich recruiting base surrounding them, so not a perfect analogy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT