ADVERTISEMENT

Bring back the ROTC canon and add train horns to North and South Endzones.

Need to add bells and whistles for new recruits and have some fun doing it. :)
Be Loud and Proud. We have been silent for too long.

Id rather have some fireworks off the top of the press box and the canon. Already have train whistle in the north end zone (people just aren't manning it as much).

I think the issue with the canon was the surrounding neighborhood.

Id rather have some fireworks off the top of the press box and the canon. Already have train whistle in the north end zone (people just aren't manning it as much).

Screw the neighborhood, the stadium was there first they moved to the nuisance.

Hell a car backfiring makes more noise. It's not like they're firing live artillery rounds. A full, noisy Ross Ade is worth a lot more $$$ to W Laffy than a little noise annoyance.

Also the stadium is noisy already an blank firing is not going to be that big of deal.
uhhh apparently you didn't hear the original rounds...It set off car alarms for miles around...Then they put in the pansy iu size blanks and it sounded like a fire cracker.

I lived across the street from WLHS for a few years when not a student. I loved the noise from the stadium (sometimes kids' sporting events interfered with my ability to attend home games). The noisier on game day the better. Noise generally means fans and success.

I lived across the street from WLHS for a few years when not a student. I loved the noise from the stadium (sometimes kids' sporting events interfered with my ability to attend home games). The noisier on game day the better. Noise generally means fans and success.
Ah!

And, I am old enough to have witnessed average crowds of 65,000+ in the 1960's topping 70,000 for some games.

Need to add bells and whistles for new recruits and have some fun doing it. :)
Be Loud and Proud. We have been silent for too long.

We certainly need something. I went to the IU/Nebraska game this weekend...their gameday experience beats ours and it's not even close. They make it an event and it wasn't hard to imagine choosing IU over Purdue if I were a recruit.

I always thought the Howitzer was a victim of PC in wake of the Kosovo war. Also reason for "Air Strike 1999" being changed to something less controversial. edit: IIRC also around the time of Columbine.

Last edited:
how often do we really need to shoot off
Screw the neighborhood, the stadium was there first they moved to the nuisance.

the howistzer? It's only after WE score right? I would think the neighborhood would complain about the eerie quiet more than noise......

We certainly need something. I went to the IU/Nebraska game this weekend...their gameday experience beats ours and it's not even close. They make it an event and it wasn't hard to imagine choosing IU over Purdue if I were a recruit.

They have a competitive team. That means more than anything to the game day experience.

Hell a car backfiring makes more noise. It's not like they're firing live artillery rounds. A full, noisy Ross Ade is worth a lot more $$$ to W Laffy than a little noise annoyance.

What happened, to your stadium, men?

edbfecc7aa54a2f7bd48f6905d2e71e6.gif

I think the deal with the Canon was, it was a little scary (in a good way). When it went off, everyone's adrenaline spiked and the crowd went crazy. That energy would extend to the following possession, and you could see the team feeding off of it. I've seen a similar effect from a flyover, especially when the formation of Jets broke and fired their afterburners into the stadium.

Somebody must've complained, but out of everybody I know who went to those games, everyone loved it. I don't recall the 60,000 + people in the late 90s not coming to the following home game out of any concern for startling noises, so I think the complainers where a very vocal and small minority. If I recall, gate attendance approached 70,000 a few times during those years even with the loud noises. There were also a number of comebacks at home.

Imagine if that momentum could be harnessed again, during a night game ( not too late, but late in the year when it gets dark at like 6 o'clock.) Maybe that's something the new A.D. could do to help out the new coach. I'd love to see him show he's got a pair and blow away whatever obstacles put an end to the cannon last time. And use whatever they had in 1998, not whatever weaker version of a cannon or ammo they were using a couple years later.

Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan
Bingo. Howitzer with the loud charge of the early Tiller/Billy Dickens/Drew Brees era. That was exciting and fun for 60,000 plus thousand in attendance. I hope like hell Bobinski is tipped off to this idea that Purdue once had and was proud of.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT