ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Brohm is leading candidate for OC at UK

Wole, be it coaches, CEOs and most every other line of work, one strives for what will put one in the best situation, even if it's working for a former rival, be it school or company. If Brian Brohm has to do what's best to climb the ladder and UK is that opportunity, I doubt he cares much about his U of L ties. He probably feels he needs to get out of his brother's shadow to do that.

While I am sure Des (due to his keen knowledge and emeritus status) can come up with way more examples than I can, but the man who put UofL football on the map, Howard Schnellenberger, played for UK. Pat Dye played for Auburn's 2nd biggest rival, Georgia. Darrel Royal played for OU, became a legend at their rival TX. Gary Moeller played for OSU, won big at UM. Oh, different sport, but don't forget Teri Moren.

Wole, please don't take this as snarky, as I don't mean it to be, but would love to see your list of predictions, you often refer to.
my predictions are in the archives. if you want to find them, all you have to do is look. if you want to see my predictions about Hazell, look around the time he was hired. if you want to see season predictions, look for threads that started at the beginning of seasons. I have not deleted any of my predictions. However, I don't feel I like I am the one who has to go back in time to repeat myself. if you want to see them, i encourage you to do so. You may get some chuckles from reading some of the discussions between myself and purdue 85.

Brian leaving? Why? I'll tell you why, the dominoes are falling. Jeff Brohn's job is in question. Jeff will be back for next season but who knows after that. The John Purdue club can not afford a buyout this year but next year would not be impossible. Expensive, yes, impossible no. If Jeff is told to leave he will still have his buyout money to live on until he finds another job, probably as a OC somewhere in the ACC. Brian if he stays another year and gets fired he will not have buyout money to live on and will be without a job. If he is in fact job hunting it shows that the heat is on Jeff and the JPC is ready to part ways with him. Does anyone really believe that the OC job at Kentucky is better than the OC job at Purdue? NO way. The Athletic Director will not defend Jeff because he needs to keep his well paying job and keep the JPC happy.
If Jeff gets canned after next year the JPC will still be responsible for the remainder of his contract. Which means that they will not have a lot of money to hire a big name head coach. They would probably have to look at a recently fired head coach, or a young head coach from a smaller school, maybe someone from the MAC.
So should Purdue keep Jeff until the end of his contract or fire him and get in a financial mess. Remember Purdue lost a lot of money this year because of the attendance problem due to the virus and is anybody really sure that things will be completely back to normal next season.
This situation is becoming a bigger mess as time goes by, stay tuned, some tough decisions will need to be made.
Pretty sure Brian Brohms NFL money as well as his salary at Purdue for 4 years wouldnt really leave him without “ money to live on” while he finds another job!! Geez....

But, you claim you wanted ................... Jim Tressel ....

what i wanted was a coach who wanted to be at purdue and stay at purdue. if jim tressell was given a second chance and came to purdue, i doubt he would leave. Over the years i've gotten tired of purdue having a good coach only to see him leave. I really liked Lee Rose. he left. i liked jim Young. he left. I hated Agassi. Thankfully he left. i hated Hope and hazell. Thankfully they left. i liked some of our assistant coaches, but they left.

After he arrived, Tiller stayed until he retired. After he arrived, Keady stayed until he retired, and then unretired. those are the kind of coaches i really wanted. Somebody who would stay. I liked Bobby knight in part because of his loyalty to IU.

i just want a coach who isn't concerned about the money, and really wants to come to purdue and put purdue back on the map and stay at purdue. You might say, i want somebody like Barry Alverez.

I know in the business world, there are many people who go from one job, and then quit and go to a better higher paying job. I had that opportunity. I consider myself an educator. and the typical educator stays at one place their entire life. that's the type of coach i want. I liked joe paterno.

I fully understand brian's desire to leave. I just wish he'd be the type of person who'd want to stay at purdue to build his legacy. I look at Q and ask how long is he going to stay at Missouri before he moves on? the same with Kiffin?

what i wanted was a coach who wanted to be at purdue and stay at purdue. if jim tressell was given a second chance and came to purdue, i doubt he would leave. Over the years i've gotten tired of purdue having a good coach only to see him leave. I really liked Lee Rose. he left. i liked jim Young. he left. I hated Agassi. Thankfully he left. i hated Hope and hazell. Thankfully they left. i liked some of our assistant coaches, but they left.

After he arrived, Tiller stayed until he retired. After he arrived, Keady stayed until he retired, and then unretired. those are the kind of coaches i really wanted. Somebody who would stay. I liked Bobby knight in part because of his loyalty to IU.

i just want a coach who isn't concerned about the money, and really wants to come to purdue and put purdue back on the map and stay at purdue. You might say, i want somebody like Barry Alverez.

I know in the business world, there are many people who go from one job, and then quit and go to a better higher paying job. I had that opportunity. I consider myself an educator. and the typical educator stays at one place their entire life. that's the type of coach i want. I liked joe paterno.

I fully understand brian's desire to leave. I just wish he'd be the type of person who'd want to stay at purdue to build his legacy. I look at Q and ask how long is he going to stay at Missouri before he moves on? the same with Kiffin?

The Tressel idea was always absurd, given the toxicity (and NCAA baggage) surrounding him. The idea of him being at Purdue is simply off the rails. Besides, there's zero indication Tressel would have stayed. None.

you're making this point with respect to an assistant coach. By history, those need to move around to gain proper experience AND demonstrate they have what it takes. This is not a discussion about a HC.

Reactions: purduepat1969
The Tressel idea was always absurd, given the toxicity (and NCAA baggage) surrounding him. The idea of him being at Purdue is simply off the rails. Besides, there's zero indication Tressel would have stayed. None.

you're making this point with respect to an assistant coach. By history, those need to move around to gain proper experience AND demonstrate they have what it takes. This is not a discussion about a HC.
We had 2 different HCs try to run Ohio State offense/TresselBall here... but apparently they forgot to bring the truckload of five star OLs and tailbacks with them...

We had 2 different HCs try to run Ohio State offense/TresselBall here... but apparently they forgot to bring the truckload of five star OLs and tailbacks with them...

Wole wouldn't let that happen. Only he knows you can't sign a 4* receiver until you sign a 5* OL.

I was with family yesterday and this very topic came up...there is more than enough talent everywhere on that side of the ball, aside of the offensive line. It is unbelievable that just about anyone at any level of football would not understand or appreciate the importance of an OL so as to make everything else function or work, especially at its peak level...Purdue has recruited the WR position to a point that it is almost "over-recruited"...but, it does not even matter due to the deficiency of the OL.

What is most puzzling to me is that absent Moore, Purdue was targeting Bell 10/15/20 times a game, despite his being the focus of every opponent defense (other than Iowa for who knows what reason(s)), and, he was still almost unstoppable, yet, when Moore comes back, he somehow borders on becoming the Invisible Man at times. Purdue can't run the ball effectively because of how bad the OL is...but, has had some success still simply because of the sheer work ethic and competitiveness of Horvath, yet, it has as good a WR duo as there is in the country, as much depth at the position as almost any program in the country, and, it is not able to exploit that? That is concerning for sure...it would seem that you would not even have to be a genius of any sort to be able to do it, but, if you were, that you would have a literal field day...and that has not happened, nor even approached doing it.
OL is fine. Outside of the Nebraska game, it held up well all season. It takes longer to develop an OL than other offensive positions.

He redshirted.
Right, but that was partially due to his shoulder injury. He was pretty much ready to go before that, from what I had heard.

And dude was insanely competitive in practices. Got into fights every day. We could use a couple more guys like him TBH.

Reactions: DAG10
Right, but that was partially due to his shoulder injury. He was pretty much ready to go before that, from what I had heard.

And dude was insanely competitive in practices. Got into fights every day. We could use a couple more guys like him TBH.
Agree.

I remember the injury. Didnt get a chance to see him as a freshman so i dont know if he was physically ready that year. What if he had stayed for 2004... womp womp.

OL is fine. Outside of the Nebraska game, it held up well all season. It takes longer to develop an OL than other offensive positions.
Not true...it is not "fine", and, it did not hold up well at any point really this season, it just was awful against Nebraska. It was not good against multiple opponents, however, and, it needs to be more than "fine" regardless...more importantly, 4 years in with Brohm/staff, they should both realize that, and, have made sure it was the case.

Not true...it is not "fine", and, it did not hold up well at any point really this season, it just was awful against Nebraska. It was not good against multiple opponents, however, and, it needs to be more than "fine" regardless...more importantly, 4 years in with Brohm/staff, they should both realize that, and, have made sure it was the case.

Reactions: SKYDOG
It was fine. If you think protection is going to be perfect in the big ten, i dont know what to tell you.

It was fine. If you think protection is going to be perfect in the big ten, i dont know what to tell you.
Not seeking perfection, but, what Purdue has put out there is anything but...I would expect an OL that would have at least one guy that you could consistently count on to run behind and actually be able to cross the line of scrimmage, and, Purdue does not have anyone that fits that bill, and has not since any of Hazell's guys graduated.

If it were even "fine" as you had asserted, it would make a tremendous difference...it is below average, and, has been two years in a row whereas it should have been a priority in recruiting in both '17 and '18 knowing who was graduating and moving on.

Agree.

I remember the injury. Didnt get a chance to see him as a freshman so i dont know if he was physically ready that year. What if he had stayed for 2004... womp womp.
We had Light and Gorin at T in 2000, so we really didn’t need him I guess.

Reactions: DAG10
Not seeking perfection, but, what Purdue has put out there is anything but...I would expect an OL that would have at least one guy that you could consistently count on to run behind and actually be able to cross the line of scrimmage, and, Purdue does not have anyone that fits that bill, and has not since any of Hazell's guys graduated.

If it were even "fine" as you had asserted, it would make a tremendous difference...it is below average, and, has been two years in a row whereas it should have been a priority in recruiting in both '17 and '18 knowing who was graduating and moving on.
I think it’s been “adequate”. I really don’t think offense is high on our list of problems.

I think it’s been “adequate”. I really don’t think offense is high on our list of problems.
Relative to other issues or problems, I agree for certain, but, if the OL were indeed "adequate" or "fine", the offense would be better...to a point where it would make the other areas where there are issues/problems less so.

The inability to win the line of scrimmage...almost ever...is a big problem. The inability to establish the line of scrimmage at all and allow for a productive running game is a problem. Chasing the sticks constantly because of not being able to move the ball on the ground or consistently provide enough time to throw is a problem.

Yes, the offense is not near as big of an issue/problem as the defense and Special Teams, but, it could be better...should be better...and, with a capable OL, would be better.

Reactions: NVboiler
Relative to other issues or problems, I agree for certain, but, if the OL were indeed "adequate" or "fine", the offense would be better...to a point where it would make the other areas where there are issues/problems less so.

The inability to win the line of scrimmage...almost ever...is a big problem. The inability to establish the line of scrimmage at all and allow for a productive running game is a problem. Chasing the sticks constantly because of not being able to move the ball on the ground or consistently provide enough time to throw is a problem.

Yes, the offense is not near as big of an issue/problem as the defense and Special Teams, but, it could be better...should be better...and, with a capable OL, would be better.
We put up over 20 points a game. The only thing that kept us from running the ball was Brohm panicking when we were down.

As for running behind someone, Herrmanns and Holstege opened running lanes all season.

Relative to other issues or problems, I agree for certain, but, if the OL were indeed "adequate" or "fine", the offense would be better..
I guess that’s where we will have to agree to disagree. I think our offense should be good enough to win more games than we lose, with a solid defense and kicking game.

Wole, be it coaches, CEOs and most every other line of work, one strives for what will put one in the best situation, even if it's working for a former rival, be it school or company. If Brian Brohm has to do what's best to climb the ladder and UK is that opportunity, I doubt he cares much about his U of L ties. He probably feels he needs to get out of his brother's shadow to do that.

While I am sure Des (due to his keen knowledge and emeritus status) can come up with way more examples than I can, but the man who put UofL football on the map, Howard Schnellenberger, played for UK. Pat Dye played for Auburn's 2nd biggest rival, Georgia. Darrel Royal played for OU, became a legend at their rival TX. Gary Moeller played for OSU, won big at UM. Oh, different sport, but don't forget Teri Moren.

Wole, please don't take this as snarky, as I don't mean it to be, but would love to see your list of predictions, you often refer to.
Great list! Perhaps one of the few football coaches who "thinks like a fan" is Urban Meyer, but if the situation were ideal, intriguing, and a fleet of Brinks trucks were backed up on his street, I bet Meyer would quickly relearn how to say Michigan.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
I guess that’s where we will have to agree to disagree. I think our offense should be good enough to win more games than we lose, with a solid defense and kicking game.
I don't disagree with that premise, but, the poor defense and special teams adds pressure to the offense needing to be better...much better, and, it is not capable of it with the OL not being much better (and, may not even be good enough if it were to overcome the poor defense and special teams).

Right now, aside of two crazy talented WRs and depth at the position, Purdue as a football team does not have a lot of strengths...it has issues in all three phases unfortunately to address...offensively, to me at least, OL is the greatest issue to address.

I don't disagree with that premise, but, the poor defense and special teams adds pressure to the offense needing to be better...much better, and, it is not capable of it with the OL not being much better (and, may not even be good enough if it were to overcome the poor defense and special teams).

Right now, aside of two crazy talented WRs and depth at the position, Purdue as a football team does not have a lot of strengths...it has issues in all three phases unfortunately to address...offensively, to me at least, OL is the greatest issue to address.
Why is the onus on the offense to be better?

Shouldn’t the pressure be on the defense and special teams to at least be average, before we demand more of the offense?

Why is the OL held to a higher standard than our DL or our secondary?

Even Hartwig was overmatched this year. Ive seen purdue sign 1 player that was ready day 1. Ken Plue. He spent a year at prep school
Jordan Grimes, OL out of Plainfield, IN.

He played a lot as a FR, but started only 1 game. The kid was a stud.

We've kicked this ball around a lot over the past couple of years. Even HS stud OL have a difficult transition.

OSU was mentioned. 3 of their interior OL are RS, 2 of the backups are RS.

For the most part, the offensive line was "fine", but they had trouble at times going against talented defensive lines and short-yardage run situations late in the season. However, everyone ignores the injuries on the o-line the past two years.

Starting lineup against Nebraska was
RT Long
RG Hartwig
C Garvin
LG Holstege
LT Hermanns

Injuries
Craig
Bramel
Beach (from last year)
Jornigan (played in the Nebraska game, but didn't start after several weeks of being out from injury)

Ideal lineup against Nebraska would have been something like:
RT Long / Bramel
RG Craig
C Beach
LG Holstege
LT Hermanns

One thing that surprised me is Stickford didn't appear to have played this year, despite playing in 10 games last season and the rotation of linemen this year. Even Fox played in a game this year.

RS Juniors
Garvin
Washington
Stickford
Beach

RS Sophomores
Miller
McKenna
Bramel

RS Freshmen
Jornigan
Craig
Holstege
Monnot III

I keep seeing this "Brohm never focuses on the offensive line" comment, and I just don't see the evidence of this based on Purdue's recent recruiting classes. Between Hartwig and the 2019 class, Purdue fans should feel good about the interior line for the next three years. They are only going to get better with more experience and development. If Long returns and/or Purdue brings in another grad transfer tackle, then Long, Miller, Bramel, McKenna, and Fox should be good competition for the starting and backup tackle spots next year.

We've kicked this ball around a lot over the past couple of years. Even HS stud OL have a difficult transition.

Yes. Grimes came in as a beast.

He was physically overwhelmed that year.

He wasn't ready. Not sure I'd call it "overwhelmed", but there's a reason he didn't start every game.

There's also a reason he was 2nd team All B1G his Sophomore season...
Getting walked back by DTs is overwhelmed. He made up for it with technique, but that only gets you so far. Same with Hartwig.

We will see what our S&C can do. I havent been impressed with their handling of OL or DL to date.

Why is the onus on the offense to be better?

Shouldn’t the pressure be on the defense and special teams to at least be average, before we demand more of the offense?

Why is the OL held to a higher standard than our DL or our secondary?
The OL is not being held to a higher standard...all of those positions should be better. Quite frankly, aside of WR and TE, every position on the roster should be better than it is.

There should be pressure on the defense and special teams to be at least average, for certain...it is seemingly why Holt and Wolthausen were fired, and, it is why Biagi should be fired (more so in that he is also a defensive assistant coach), Poindexter should be fired and Diaco probably never should have been hired.

There is more of an onus on the offense simply because of Brohm's alleged penchant for offense...it does not mean that the other areas do not need to perform...it should mean that there is an advantage there to overcome some shortcomings in those other areas.

The OL is not being held to a higher standard...all of those positions should be better. Quite frankly, aside of WR and TE, every position on the roster should be better than it is.

There should be pressure on the defense and special teams to be at least average, for certain...it is seemingly why Holt and Wolthausen were fired, and, it is why Biagi should be fired (more so in that he is also a defensive assistant coach), Poindexter should be fired and Diaco probably never should have been hired.

There is more of an onus on the offense simply because of Brohm's alleged penchant for offense...it does not mean that the other areas do not need to perform...it should mean that there is an advantage there to overcome some shortcomings in those other areas.
I think our OL and offense are plenty good enough to win with, and the major problems lie elsewhere. Watch the fourth quarter of the Rutgers game again.

Sure, Tressel had a lot of NCAA baggage. but players liked him and he could recruit. it's not like he actually cheated. he just allowed things to happen and looked the other way.

I doubt Tressel would have come to Purdue. and Purdue is too concerned about their stupid image to ever hire somebody with NCAA baggage. Although several coaches at purdue have also committed NCAA violations.

I liked the idea of tressel because i refused to be like everyone else. i offered my OWN opinion rather than piggy back on somebody else's suggestion. Sometimes i can't believe one person says something and the n everybody all says , ditto , what he said, and just always goes along with what one poster said. What type of intelligence or creativity does that take? the majority of you are too scared to come up with your own ideas. you'd rather hide behind the guy who talks the most.

It wasn't Tressel's offense i wanted. my thought on hiring tressel would be that he'd also bring his assistant coaches, and he'd be able to recruit the type of players he recruited at OSU. Sure, purdue may have gone on probation 1-2 years out of 10, but it would be worth it. what would you rather have ? an 8-4 team with no bowl game? or a 4-8 and 2-4 team?

my thoughts on hiring tressel were that i didn't really like Miles or brohm or Row boat guy, or many of the alternatives. My thoughts were that if tressel came, it wouldn't be just tressel, but rather the whole show that he brings. it's kind of like P.T. Barnum. When you hire P.T. Barnum, you hire the entire show. and i firmly believe tressel would have brought that entire show rather than just himself - complete with the 350 pound elephants for our offensive line. OSU QBs are not really that special. But behind their o-line, they look like all Americans.

you guys can cut me down all you like. but your guy hasn't come close to your stupid predictions of bringing us to a Western division title or 9-10 win seasons. if you go back 2-3 years ago and read your posts, you loo pretty stupid with all your claims and predictions.

my choice may seem absurd to you. But it was no more absurd than your predictions, hopes and dreams. Purdue football is kind of like Wheeler playing basketball. after a while, you start singing the praise for mediocrity! You all thought a 10 point performance was awesome! Why? because it was so much better than his previous performance. You all thought Brohm was awesome. why? because going 7-6 was so much better than what hazell and hope did. Comparing it to MSU, UW, NW and iowa, it was still just mediocre.

as for offense. i don't want them to score more points. rather, I want to see more ball control and being able to keep the other team off the field. Against the Lions, the packers had a 9 minute drive. and the lions only ran 4 plays in the 3rd quarter. This is a glaring problem of the brohm offense. once we have the lead, we cannot control the clock and keep it. We score quick and give the ball right back. and it becomes a shoot-out. it would be nice to be able to win a 20-17 game. and that doesn't come from having a tremendous defense. it comes from having an offense that can actually control the clock.

Reactions: Inspector100
Sure, Tressel had a lot of NCAA baggage. but players liked him and he could recruit. it's not like he actually cheated. he just allowed things to happen and looked the other way.

I doubt Tressel would have come to Purdue. and Purdue is too concerned about their stupid image to ever hire somebody with NCAA baggage. Although several coaches at purdue have also committed NCAA violations.

I liked the idea of tressel because i refused to be like everyone else. i offered my OWN opinion rather than piggy back on somebody else's suggestion. Sometimes i can't believe one person says something and the n everybody all says , ditto , what he said, and just always goes along with what one poster said. What type of intelligence or creativity does that take? the majority of you are too scared to come up with your own ideas. you'd rather hide behind the guy who talks the most.

It wasn't Tressel's offense i wanted. my thought on hiring tressel would be that he'd also bring his assistant coaches, and he'd be able to recruit the type of players he recruited at OSU. Sure, purdue may have gone on probation 1-2 years out of 10, but it would be worth it. what would you rather have ? an 8-4 team with no bowl game? or a 4-8 and 2-4 team?

my thoughts on hiring tressel were that i didn't really like Miles or brohm or Row boat guy, or many of the alternatives. My thoughts were that if tressel came, it wouldn't be just tressel, but rather the whole show that he brings. it's kind of like P.T. Barnum. When you hire P.T. Barnum, you hire the entire show. and i firmly believe tressel would have brought that entire show rather than just himself - complete with the 350 pound elephants for our offensive line. OSU QBs are not really that special. But behind their o-line, they look like all Americans.

you guys can cut me down all you like. but your guy hasn't come close to your stupid predictions of bringing us to a Western division title or 9-10 win seasons. if you go back 2-3 years ago and read your posts, you loo pretty stupid with all your claims and predictions.

my choice may seem absurd to you. But it was no more absurd than your predictions, hopes and dreams. Purdue football is kind of like Wheeler playing basketball. after a while, you start singing the praise for mediocrity! You all thought a 10 point performance was awesome! Why? because it was so much better than his previous performance. You all thought Brohm was awesome. why? because going 7-6 was so much better than what hazell and hope did. Comparing it to MSU, UW, NW and iowa, it was still just mediocre.

Dude, I really wonder about you.

When a coach is the subject of an article titled, Jim Tressel and Ohio State: The 5 Biggest Scandals in His Coaching Career, and you consider the fact that they have to limit it to just FIVE, and it's clear there were others, more damning... you don't touch him.

Additionally, if you can read the press accounts and KNOW Ohio State did everything within their power to keep other details from emerging, there's just no d@mn way for anyone to justify hiring someone like that.

Frankly, (and I make no apologies for this) I like Purdue's image.

Bigs, sometimes you need to just take the "L" and move on.

What's more, if nobody else will go along with your idea/post, it's probably not everyone else with the goofy idea.

Finally, if you think this forum is nothing more than people saying, "ditto", you're not paying attention.

By the way, IMHO the Boat Rower IS P.T. Barnum.

Get a load of this guy. You must know more than the coaches and media. They seemed to think Purdue has a decent line with the all conference honorable mentions they received.

Reactions: BoilerData
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT