ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Brohm is leading candidate for OC at UK

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
We might be looking for another OC, because Brian Brohm is a leading candidate for the UK OC opening. I know a lot of people think Jeff should give up calling the plays.

If Brian leaves, who would be a OC that we should be looking at?

We might be looking for another OC, because Brian Brohm is a leading candidate for the UK OC opening. I know a lot of people think Jeff should give up calling the plays.

I don’t know, but if he is over the age of 35, I’ll take a hard pass.

So it begs the question? Is there some sort of bad blood with Jeff and Brian? Or is Brian looking to get out from under his brother's "wing" and be his own man? Or does he think the ship is sinking?

Reactions: Boiler1989
So it begs the question? Is there some sort of bad blood with Jeff and Brian? Or is Brian looking to get out from under his brother's "wing" and be his own man? Or does he think the ship is sinking?
It does make you think that Brohm not taking the Louisville job might have caused a riff. I think his family wanted him to make the move. It’s just a thought. I have no idea

Reactions: purduepat1969

Don’t we have a co OC?

Brian leaving? Why? I'll tell you why, the dominoes are falling. Jeff Brohn's job is in question. Jeff will be back for next season but who knows after that. The John Purdue club can not afford a buyout this year but next year would not be impossible. Expensive, yes, impossible no. If Jeff is told to leave he will still have his buyout money to live on until he finds another job, probably as a OC somewhere in the ACC. Brian if he stays another year and gets fired he will not have buyout money to live on and will be without a job. If he is in fact job hunting it shows that the heat is on Jeff and the JPC is ready to part ways with him. Does anyone really believe that the OC job at Kentucky is better than the OC job at Purdue? NO way. The Athletic Director will not defend Jeff because he needs to keep his well paying job and keep the JPC happy.
If Jeff gets canned after next year the JPC will still be responsible for the remainder of his contract. Which means that they will not have a lot of money to hire a big name head coach. They would probably have to look at a recently fired head coach, or a young head coach from a smaller school, maybe someone from the MAC.
So should Purdue keep Jeff until the end of his contract or fire him and get in a financial mess. Remember Purdue lost a lot of money this year because of the attendance problem due to the virus and is anybody really sure that things will be completely back to normal next season.
This situation is becoming a bigger mess as time goes by, stay tuned, some tough decisions will need to be made.

?

They've been together for years.

You're over-thinking it. If he wants his own gig, he's going to have to do this sooner or later.

And if you're going to go out on your own, SEC school with a terrible current offense, low expectations and big money isn't a bad place to start.

Reactions: Purdue85
so I guess he'd rather be the OC at Kentucky than Purdue? I'm not really buying an SEC job is that much better than a BIG10 job other than the pay is probably higher. or this another leverage game ? pay me more, or I'll leave.

i guess if he wants to seek his own destiny, now is as good a time as any. if he really wants to leave, fans are not going to stop him. it's his decision.

so I guess he'd rather be the OC at Kentucky than Purdue? I'm not really buying an SEC job is that much better than a BIG10 job other than the pay is probably higher. or this another leverage game ? pay me more, or I'll leave.

i guess if he wants to seek his own destiny, now is as good a time as any. if he really wants to leave, fans are not going to stop him. it's his decision.

His title at Purdue is offensive coordinator but everyone knows that it brother Jeff is calling the plays. I'm guessing at UK his handed full reigns when it comes to play-calling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indy_Rider
a couple of years ago i had predicted if any brohm left it would be Brian. I thought some team college or pro) would be after him, and he'd want to get out from under jeff's wings. and now that situation has presented itself. it doesn't make me feel good about being right, and making that prediction. (for those that doubt me, check the archives) I don't like the timing . it appears he's jumping off a sinking ship. but most of us knew it would happen eventually.

the questions remain, do we let Sheppard become the OC ? Do we hire some old retread looking for a job?

Will we switch our offense from a pro style to the option? Our 2022 QB recruit is a pro style.

We did beat Iowa with Brian as acting head coach. I remember thinking at the time that would be good for his resume. I was actually thinking he might get a head coaching offer at a smaller school.

?

They've been together for years.

You're over-thinking it. If he wants his own gig, he's going to have to do this sooner or later.
Maybe so, maybe not with respect to over-thinking it...what does he have to do? Leave Purdue BECAUSE he is working there with his brother? It is not as if he is taking a better job...he is not moving up...he certainly won't have the latitude that he does at Purdue, or, be involved in all that he is at Purdue, and, he is a Louisville guy...taking a job at UK...seems more difficult to justify taking that job with all of that in mind than not, and none of that even accounts for whether it is a "better" job or not.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I wouldn't put the term "offense" behind Jeff Brohm's name anymore...it's offensive...
I was with family yesterday and this very topic came up...there is more than enough talent everywhere on that side of the ball, aside of the offensive line. It is unbelievable that just about anyone at any level of football would not understand or appreciate the importance of an OL so as to make everything else function or work, especially at its peak level...Purdue has recruited the WR position to a point that it is almost "over-recruited"...but, it does not even matter due to the deficiency of the OL.

What is most puzzling to me is that absent Moore, Purdue was targeting Bell 10/15/20 times a game, despite his being the focus of every opponent defense (other than Iowa for who knows what reason(s)), and, he was still almost unstoppable, yet, when Moore comes back, he somehow borders on becoming the Invisible Man at times. Purdue can't run the ball effectively because of how bad the OL is...but, has had some success still simply because of the sheer work ethic and competitiveness of Horvath, yet, it has as good a WR duo as there is in the country, as much depth at the position as almost any program in the country, and, it is not able to exploit that? That is concerning for sure...it would seem that you would not even have to be a genius of any sort to be able to do it, but, if you were, that you would have a literal field day...and that has not happened, nor even approached doing it.

Reactions: NVboiler
From today's press conference, that last sentence almost makes it sound like Brian could have taken the job, but we don't want to distract from the upcoming game. However, Brohm's press conferences are alway vague and in code.

Maybe, it is not about Brian. Maybe, we are letting our Special Team coach go, at least that is what I am hoping myself to hear. Diaco would be nice to hear that too, but that is not going to happen this year at least.

Brian Brohm interview
On Sunday, FootballScoop.com reported that Purdue co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Brian Brohm had interviewed to be the offensive coordinator at Kentucky. Jeff Brohm was asked about the report.
"Well, I really don't want to talk about our staffers and what's going on there, as well," said Brohm. "We'll deal with situations as they come about at the end of the year."

From today's press conference, that last sentence almost makes it sound like Brian could have taken the job, but we don't want to distract from the upcoming game. However, Brohm's press conferences are alway vague and in code.

Maybe, it is not about Brian. Maybe, we are letting our Special Team coach go, at least that is what I am hoping myself to hear. Diaco would be nice to hear that too, but that is not going to happen this year at least.

Brian Brohm interview
On Sunday, FootballScoop.com reported that Purdue co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Brian Brohm had interviewed to be the offensive coordinator at Kentucky. Jeff Brohm was asked about the report.
"Well, I really don't want to talk about our staffers and what's going on there, as well," said Brohm. "We'll deal with situations as they come about at the end of the year."

If Brian Brohm leaves, then my concern is what happens to Brady Allen now. It also make recruiting more competitive in Kentucky for Purdue, which has always been a strong area with Brohm's ties. Kentucky needs every recruiting edge they can get to stay competitive in the SEC, and they must be looking at Brian as a recruiting move as much as anything.

I have many questions. But isn't a Louisville guy going to Kentucky sort of like a Purdue guy going to IU or Notre Dame? Don't those schools hate each other?

Yeah, that is a good point. The Louisville football boards are talking about this too. Some have kicked around the rumor that Jeff and Brian were at odds about Jeff staying at Purdue. You can only speculate on most of this.

I think a Louisville fan makes a good point from an offensive style perspective, where you would expect that Stoops would rather have a run-first and clock management approach to control games.

"I can’t imagine Stoops would want to run the Brohm offense. For one they don’t have the right personnel. And two, it’s tough to envision a defensive minded coach wanting to go with an offense that has little concern for clock management."

However, Brian might have a different perspective on running the ball than Jeff does.

Yeah, that is a good point. The Louisville football boards are talking about this too. Some have kicked around the rumor that Jeff and Brian were at odds about Jeff staying at Purdue. You can only speculate on most of this.

I think a Louisville fan makes a good point from an offensive style perspective, where you would expect that Stoops would rather have a run-first and clock management approach to control games.

"I can’t imagine Stoops would want to run the Brohm offense. For one they don’t have the right personnel. And two, it’s tough to envision a defensive minded coach wanting to go with an offense that has little concern for clock management."

However, Brian might have a different perspective on running the ball than Jeff does.

You may have hit on something. Jeff brohm has always run a pro style offense. Jackson was an odd recruit, as he was not a pro style QB. and Brohm indicated he was thinking of converting to an option offense. i didn't really believe him. but maybe brian wanted to run an option oriented offense. and maybe leaving purdue will give him that opportunity at Kentucky.

I have many questions. But isn't a Louisville guy going to Kentucky sort of like a Purdue guy going to IU or Notre Dame? Don't those schools hate each other?

That's not as improbable as you might think.

No matter what people might think of her abilities, Sharon Versyp was IU WBB coach.

IU Linebacker Mark Hagan was a football assistant at Purdue.

There are more, but at some point in life it becomes a business, and a business decision.

At some point Brian will go out on his own away from Jeff but I had figured it would be for a head coaching job. But really I think taking an OC job somewhere else where he has total control of the offense is probably a good idea for him because as long as he’s with Jeff I’m sure he won’t be the main man calling plays. I still believe as well that Brian really wanted Jeff to take the Louisville job. Jeff stated in interviews last year that there was a lot of heated conversations and late nights with the whole family. Even though it was used as leverage I think he did the right and respectable thing by staying at Purdue and keeping promise to recruits and trying to see it through here and make it better.

it leaves me with the old feeling that rather than being a final destination, purdue is once again just a stepping stone for coaches. one of the reasons i didn't want the row boat guy was i felt he would just use purdue on his way to bigger and better things. I still believe his stay in minn will be a short one. teams like Auburn and michigan have no problems buying out coaches away from other schools.

• Angry
Reactions: Inspector100
Wole, be it coaches, CEOs and most every other line of work, one strives for what will put one in the best situation, even if it's working for a former rival, be it school or company. If Brian Brohm has to do what's best to climb the ladder and UK is that opportunity, I doubt he cares much about his U of L ties. He probably feels he needs to get out of his brother's shadow to do that.

While I am sure Des (due to his keen knowledge and emeritus status) can come up with way more examples than I can, but the man who put UofL football on the map, Howard Schnellenberger, played for UK. Pat Dye played for Auburn's 2nd biggest rival, Georgia. Darrel Royal played for OU, became a legend at their rival TX. Gary Moeller played for OSU, won big at UM. Oh, different sport, but don't forget Teri Moren.

Wole, please don't take this as snarky, as I don't mean it to be, but would love to see your list of predictions, you often refer to.

Last edited:
it leaves me with the old feeling that rather than being a final destination, purdue is once again just a stepping stone for coaches. one of the reasons i didn't want the row boat guy was i felt he would just use purdue on his way to bigger and better things. I still believe his stay in minn will be a short one. teams like Auburn and michigan have no problems buying out coaches away from other schools.

But, you claim you wanted ................... Jim Tressel ....

Wole, be it coaches, CEOs and most every other line of work, one strives for what will put one in the best situation, even if it's working for a former rival, be it school or company. If Brian Brohm has to do what's best to climb the ladder and UK is that opportunity, I doubt he cares much about his U of L ties. He probably feels he needs to get out of his brother's shadow to do that.

While I am sure Des (due to his keen knowledge and emeritus status) can come up with way more examples than I can, but the man who put UofL football on the map, Howard Schnellenberger, played for UK. Pat Dye played for Auburn's 2nd biggest rival, Georgia. Darrel Royal played for OU, became a legend at their rival TX. Gary Moeller played for OSU, won big at UM. Oh, different sport, but don't forget Teri Moren.

Wole, please don't take this as snarky, as I don't mean it to be, but would love to see your list of predictions, you often refer to.
No Coach has offensive coordinator (a non-play calling one at that) as his dream job.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT