ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest threat outside of UCONN?

Aug 20, 2010
So to this point Purdue and UCONN have proven to be the most consistent with Purdue having the best overall results this year. Who else would people consider a threat? Specifically to Purdue? I thought UK looked like it for a while then they have gone through some struggles.. Then UNC but they just lost at home to Clemson... Seems like a lot of parody beyond UCONN and Purdue atm... As much as I hate to say it Auburn is actually coming on strong here of late...

So to this point Purdue and UCONN have proven to be the most consistent with Purdue having the best overall results this year. Who else would people consider a threat? Specifically to Purdue? I thought UK looked like it for a while then they have gone through some struggles.. Then UNC but they just lost at home to Clemson... Seems like a lot of parody beyond UCONN and Purdue atm... As much as I hate to say it Auburn is actually coming on strong here of late...
Northwestern! Still a lot of teams that are tough matchups for us, but we have better options to combat those mismatches this year than in the past.

Northwestern! Still a lot of teams that are tough matchups for us, but we have better options to combat those mismatches this year than in the past.
I mean NW has been the toughest team Purdue has faced consistently the last couple years. Nebraska as well. But teams that have similar game plans with similar rosters definitely seem to really put Purdue on their heels. Purdue definitely seem to have the top25 covered though...

Reactions: 02BoilerUp
Our biggest threat right now is Indiana on Saturday night. It doesn’t matter home or away, it doesn’t matter that they look awful, and have been struggling… they have some talented players on their team, and if you don’t show up a 100% focused in today’s NCAA - you lose. I know it’s totally cliché, but one game at a time.

Connecticut may not even be on our side of the bracket until a championship game, I’m tired of living in fear of a bad matchup but it’s hard not to after being a Purdue fan over the past 40 years. 😂 Let’s just stay focused on the next game and hope they kick some ass! 🏀🚂 ⬆️🔨 ⬇️

But aside from all of that, I know what you mean and what you're talking about. Tennessee is a bad matchup, I wouldn’t want to play Arizona again, even though they fallen off a little, Houston is super athletic, and could be tricky, I think this is the year we could beat Kansas but wouldn’t look forward to that. Auburn would be brutal. Heck, I wouldn’t want to see Northwestern or Nebraska lol

It all doesn’t matter, as we know, we can play a 15 or 16 seed and be in trouble on any given night.

Our biggest threat right now is Indiana on Saturday night. It doesn’t matter home or away, it doesn’t matter that they look awful, and have been struggling… they have some talented players on their team, and if you don’t show up a 100% focused in today’s NCAA - you lose. I know it’s totally cliché, but one game at a time.

Connecticut may not even be on our side of the bracket until a championship game, I’m tired of living in fear of a bad matchup but it’s hard not to after being a Purdue fan over the past 40 years. 😂 Let’s just stay focused on the next game and hope they kick some ass! 🏀🚂 ⬆️🔨 ⬇️

But aside from all of that, I know what you mean and what you're talking about. Tennessee is a bad matchup, I wouldn’t want to play Arizona again, even though they fallen off a little, Houston is super athletic, and could be tricky, I think this is the year we could beat Kansas but wouldn’t look forward to that. Auburn would be brutal. Heck, I wouldn’t want to see Northwestern or Nebraska lol

It all doesn’t matter, as we know, we can play a 15 or 16 seed and be in trouble on any given night.
This team just seems different. Our soph guards know what to expect. Jones has been a brilliant pickup. Edey is Edey. Our 3 point shooting is significantly better. I think this team will be up to the challenge.
Now kick IU's ass and keep moving forward.

Missed free throws! If Purdue hits a high percentage of free throws then no threat really exists. 😁

Reactions: Boilermakerdad
Win and advance. Upsets happen all throughout the bracket. Teams like Florida Atlantic, San Diego State and Miami may be waiting.

After last NCAA Tournament…any team in the 68-team field.
You're the type Painter was talking about. This team isn't close to previous years. This Purdue team is ELITE, just look at the metrics.

There are 3 NT contender tiers

(1)
Purdue
Uconn
Houston (I don't agree but the metrics love them)

(2)
UNC
Auburn
Tenn
AZ
Marquette
Kansas
BYU
Michigan State (disagree but metrics say they have a shot)
New Mexico

(3)
Everyone else/Not going to win a NT

SHAKA !!!

Missed free throws! If Purdue hits a high percentage of free throws then no threat really exists. 😁
In this thread, people have rightfully named about 12 different teams. None of you are wrong because anyone can get beat on a given day. But really our biggest enemy is ourselves. Turnovers and missed free throws. Purdue is one of, if not the, most talented TEAM in college basketball currently. There's a reason we are favored to win the damn thing. Play Purdue basketball: free throws, take care of the ball, match some clutch 3s, and rebound.

The biggest threat is a team with two experienced guards known for their outside shooting. Purdue’s biggest challenge is not making free throws but rather in denying 3 point shots from being attempted. Look at Boo for Northwestern. Instead of defending his 3 point shooting, Purdue should have been denying him the ball and the opportunity to shoot.

When looking back at our history of heartbreaking losses, We always defend that last second 3 point shot, but it still always somehow goes in. We need to find a way to defend the guard before he gets the ball and before he shoots the ball.

Reactions: DrEss

"Connecticut may not even be on our side of the bracket until a championship game"
Correct

Assuming Indiana State makes it, I could see them making it to the second weekend. Dynamic guards and uptempo style offense usually does well in the tourney.
Yes, and their Big routinely shots the 3. Plus, that modern NBA-style offense is fun to watch

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Tennessee - Ziegler is completely healthy now and playing full time minutes.
Auburn - Can be a little up and down, but when up they are scary.
Houston - Only because of their defense. Their offense isn't going to scare anyone.
Houston would be an intriguing matchup as their aggressive hard hedging defense would be the ultimate test of Braden Smith, but if Braden were to be able to beat it consistently, it could turn into a big advantage for Edey and Purdue’s shooters. I could see it going either way. I expect Houston to earn the top seed in the South and Purdue the top seed in the Midwest, which would prevent the two from meeting before the championship game.

Assuming Indiana State makes it, I could see them making it to the second weekend. Dynamic guards and uptempo style offense usually does well in the tourney.
They may appear in the Top 25 on Monday. They've earned it.

Field of 68 talked about potential bad matchups for top teams on Thursday night.

Goodman was typical with no actual insight and said FDU or any 16 seed for Purdue. Win that game and they will cruise to final 4.

Dauster actually gave it some thought and looked at teams with NW profile that have good guard play with ball screen heavy offense and came up with Colorado State, Butler, and Baylor.

Pastner thought it could be a team like Iowa State that mucks it up on D and before you know it the games close with 5 mins to go and offense is struggling......ultimate pressure cooker game.

Overall they were highly complementary of Purdue and expect a deep run.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT