ADVERTISEMENT

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAACKETOLOGY ...

I've been pretty surprised at how Lunardi has kept Purdue in his field the entire time. Dropping in seed, yeah, but still in and somewhat comfortably.

I just looked at the Bracket Matrix for the 1st time this year. For those that don't know, this is a site that brings together all the random projected brackets that are out there. I've followed it for years. Purdue is currently on 30 of the 35 published brackets. The seeds average to a 9. As we get towards March there will be 100+ on there. Some are from major sites, and some are just random-guy-blogs.

I've been pretty surprised at how Lunardi has kept Purdue in his field the entire time. Dropping in seed, yeah, but still in and somewhat comfortably.

I just looked at the Bracket Matrix for the 1st time this year. For those that don't know, this is a site that brings together all the random projected brackets that are out there. I've followed it for years. Purdue is currently on 30 of the 35 published brackets. The seeds average to a 9. As we get towards March there will be 100+ on there. Some are from major sites, and some are just random-guy-blogs.

If Purdue beats Iowa tonight, theyll be back to 6-7 line already just due to metrics.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
If Purdue beats Iowa tonight, theyll be back to 6-7 line already just due to metrics.

Teams aren’t seeded on metrics, they’re seed on quality of resume. KenPom is purely a predictive measure, it doesn’t show how good a teams season is in terms of resume, it’s how they are expected to perform on average. Xavier was a 1 seed last year despite being ranked anywhere between 11-17 in advanced metrics. It’s because Xavier had a damn good resume in terms of quality and quadrant 1 wins. Purdue isn’t going to jump up 2-3 seed lines by beating a decent Iowa team at home. Iowa will be a quadrant 2 win come end of the year. Not a bad thing to acquire quad 2 wins but Purdue to date doesn’t have a quadrant 1 win.

Exactly. Oklahoma got in because of Tre Young last year. If things continue to be sketchy they will put Carsen in a play in game.

I will say - when you get to those latter at-large slots - there's major flaws in all of those teams' resumes. Oklahoma last year had some really good wins. They beat 4 Top 10 teams. They also had a few bad losses, and a high number of losses - although the Big 12 was a rather deep conference last year. I'm sure there will be a Big Ten team or two that gets in this year with a similar resume.

If they only got in because of Tre Young, they would have just slotted them in a play in game. The opening rounds of the NCAA Tournament have solid ratings every year regardless. They don't need a player to be in there or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT