ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shannon taking Illinois to court.

Yep saw it. Also saw that UI is asking to push it to a federal judge. The judge has to recuse (not sure why) so earliest they might have a judge is by end of the week. Don’t think this plays out before the end of the month.

I did see the police report. It does seem sketchy since they have security footage and see both him and her but never near each other. She claimed to go home and search rosters for a couple of universities to identify the culprit. Also he was never brought in for a lineup which seems odd.

Not taking sides but based on the report, it makes me think he might not be guilty. My only challenge is they knew about this in September so why not go to the AD and explain? Why not get ahead of it? I feel like the administration was forced to act because they were caught off guard.

Reactions: RDUBoiler
Yep saw it. Also saw that UI is asking to push it to a federal judge. The judge has to recuse (not sure why) so earliest they might have a judge is by end of the week. Don’t think this plays out before the end of the month.

I did see the police report. It does seem sketchy since they have security footage and see both him and her but never near each other. She claimed to go home and search rosters for a couple of universities to identify the culprit. Also he was never brought in for a lineup which seems odd.

Not taking sides but based on the report, it makes me think he might not be guilty. My only challenge is they knew about this in September so why not go to the AD and explain? Why not get ahead of it? I feel like the administration was forced to act because they were caught off guard.
The AD has known about it the whole time as well. The Athletic Director has been in close communication with the Lawrence PD since the alleged incident occurred. The administration was forced to act based on university policy. Once there was a warrant for his arrest, policy states he must be suspended.

There is belief that the University is fully supportive of his TRO as a means to circumvent PR backlash. If the TRO is granted (again, which they support), they can reinstate him and claim their hands are tied based on the TRO. Smart move IMO.

They only knew there was an investigation. Didn't know about what. Had no contact with pd or Douglas County DA, who's a piece of work and could be disbarred. TSJ was with 2 Illini & some KU players in a bar. They don't even know who this girl is, and camera footage reveals no contact between the accuser and Shannon.

They only knew there was an investigation. Didn't know about what. Had no contact with pd or Douglas County DA, who's a piece of work and could be disbarred. TSJ was with 2 Illini & some KU players in a bar. They don't even know who this girl is, and camera footage reveals no contact between the accuser and Shannon.
Yeah, whatever your feelings about anything else … the DA’s case looks like a pile of trash, lol.

The AD has known about it the whole time as well. The Athletic Director has been in close communication with the Lawrence PD since the alleged incident occurred. The administration was forced to act based on university policy. Once there was a warrant for his arrest, policy states he must be suspended.

There is belief that the University is fully supportive of his TRO as a means to circumvent PR backlash. If the TRO is granted (again, which they support), they can reinstate him and claim their hands are tied based on the TRO. Smart move IMO.
Innocent until proven guilty. If this kid is innocent I hope he sues everyone involved.

Innocent until proven guilty. If this kid is innocent I hope he sues everyone involved.
Not trying to argue one way or the other regarding his innocence, but innocent until proven guilty only applies to a court of law. It does not apply to the privilege of playing a game. I don’t blame the university at all for suspending him (as opposed to kicking him off the team) pending the result of the case. Every organization would do the same. Imagine if a daycare worker got accused of child abuse. Should they be allowed to work until proven guilty? What about an accountant accused of fraud? It’s a rough situation no matter the outcome, but Illinois has handled it appropriately so far.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
Not trying to argue one way or the other regarding his innocence, but innocent until proven guilty only applies to a court of law. It does not apply to the privilege of playing a game. I don’t blame the university at all for suspending him (as opposed to kicking him off the team) pending the result of the case. Every organization would do the same. Imagine if a daycare worker got accused of child abuse. Should they be allowed to work until proven guilty? What about an accountant accused of fraud? It’s a rough situation no matter the outcome, but Illinois has handled it appropriately so far.
I would argue this is different than those examples in that he didn’t allegedly commit this crime while performing the job he’s being suspended from.

It’s tough. Matt Araiza lost out on 2 years of NFL paychecks due to a phony rape allegation. He’ll never get that back.

I would argue this is different than those examples in that he didn’t allegedly commit this crime while performing the job he’s being suspended from.

It’s tough. Matt Araiza lost out on 2 years of NFL paychecks due to a phony rape allegation. He’ll never get that back.
I agree the scenarios aren’t directly comparable, but it was more to show that innocent until proven guilty doesn’t apply outside of a courtroom. It’s all about managing risk, and UofI is doing what every university would do to manage PR risk.

The Araiza situation was/is certainly bad, but he also shoulders some blame for (likely unknowingly) sleeping with a minor and (likely knowingly) doing so while having an STD. I’d argue that situation is different than this one as well because TSJ has not lost out on future pro earnings, at least not as of yet. My hope is that this case is resolved correctly as quickly as possible so he can either return to playing or receive his punishment.

I read the story, supposedly in a crowded bar he went up to a girl and put his hands up her skirt for under a minute.

I read the story, supposedly in a crowded bar he went up to a girl and put his hands up her skirt for under a minute.
Supposedly? Is that in the story?Is supposedly from the Police report, from some internet person??

Ah read the story. Neglected to mention he allegedly also went under her underwear and stuck his finger in her vagina…

When she got close enough to him, she told police the man grabbed her by the buttocks to pull her toward him. The man then allegedly sexually assaulted her, groping her under her skirt and underwear and inserting a finger into her vagina before she pushed through the crowd to get away from him.

I understand and appreciate your point about how serious the charges are. You could add that a cop will be suspended from his duties if being investigated for a crime. But these analogies aren't comparable to this situation. Shannon is not interacting with women while playing basketball.

Can you explain what "for under a minute" is doing in this sentence?
That’s how it was put in todays Chicago Tribune, said the women stated it was less than a minute. I guess the bar was packed, he saw her and supposedly did that. She recognized him because he was with a KU hoops player, she saw the Illini basketball roster online.

Ah read the story. Neglected to mention he allegedly also went under her underwear and stuck his finger in her vagina…

When she got close enough to him, she told police the man grabbed her by the buttocks to pull her toward him. The man then allegedly sexually assaulted her, groping her under her skirt and underwear and inserting a finger into her vagina before she pushed through the crowd to get away from him.
I didn’t see that in the paper, my report was strictly from the Tribune sports page. I certainly wasn’t trying to minimize the seriousness, just stating what I read in the morning. Odd story, who does that, if proven true he belongs in the clink for a long time, absolutely ridiculous.

Full police report for everyone to read and review. 13 & 14 are the items that raise red flags to me.

I don’t believe that most prosecutors and DA’s would bring charges in a high profile case like this unless they believe that there could be something there that could have some credibility to it. Not saying he’s guilty, just my opinion on it getting far enough that he was arrested and it didn’t go away already after being investigated. I didn’t find the report to be unbelievable, it could be possible in a packed bar. Hopefully the truth will prevail in the end no matter what that may be.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT