ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Games are Now a Joke

Transfer portal, opt outs, academic causalities, etc. Why are we even playing? We will get destroyed.
I agree, especially when they are gonna play in a bowl with other invited players! Some say it’s what’s best for the player, well what about the school who gave them an education, the stage to show their skills and other benefits, not a lot of loyalty anymore!
AOC and Durham out. Let's take away our coaches and players before a major bowl game!
Trice out also , thought I read that a few days ago

I don't bet against Purdue, but if I were going to, this would be the game.

College football is setup now for “what’s best for yourself” it definitely takes the fun out of it when Bowl season comes around. Do I want the Purdue guys to play in the bowl game? Absolutely but most of our guys have nothing more to prove and you can’t blame them when their dream is the NFL. Plus what they’ve had to deal with over the past week who blames them not wanting to play for the coaches we having coaching the bowl game.
When it comes to NIL they might have to start giving some of the bowl earnings to the players to make them stick around and play. I know that sounds crazy but the direction it’s going something has to change!

one article said we might see all three QBs play as we evaluate talent for next year. So i guess this will be a glorified Spring practice.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
I said it before. Loyalty goes both ways. To me if a player doesn't want to play in a Bowl game, Purdue should not host a pro day for that player. If you don't care about your school, and place your personal priorities ahead of the team, the team should no longer care about you.

send a message.

By my count, at 7 of 22 starters won't play in the bowl as of today with rumors swirling of others. It could be really ugly. Maybe half the starters out with coaches who really don't care at this point. We decided not to attend.

• Sad
Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
maybe 28, LSU has some players in the portal and opt out too. They have 12 in the portal, 7 4 stars and 5 3 stars
Some have not played much this year. One was already suspended for the year. Just going by the portal link from attached site, 4 already transferred. May be different from your info. 2 or 3 OL that did not play much. There is one WR that started all or most games. So far, don’t think they are without their top offense players.

Transfer portal, opt outs, academic causalities, etc. Why are we even playing? We will get destroyed.
School makes good money… games are glorified scrimmages now, play the younger kids and see what they can do. I got no problems with guys opting out, if they want to get a head start on their pro careers let them.

School makes good money… games are glorified scrimmages now, play the younger kids and see what they can do. I got no problems with guys opting out, if they want to get a head start on their pro careers let them.
I agree. if a player opts out and wants to pursue his own career, we should say thanks and send him on his way.
the player obviously doesn't need Purdue anymore. let the Purdue facilities be used only by purdue athletes. if you don't want to be a Purdue athlete, then you don't get to use Purdue's facilities. That includes pro days, coaches, trainers, weight lifting, health care, conditioning and everything else Purdue provided for free.

As I said 2 weeks ago, this will be Auburn 2.0

However, for the few players that are actually playing, this will help getting more practice time and game experience. It will also allow our new HC to see what he has for next year, so that will be beneficial too.

The playoff was the death knell for bowls. I wonder if they will still even play them in twenty years. Maybe there could be a college football "NIT" or something. :/

It will be interesting to know how ticket sales are going. Unless you want to get out of the Indiana winter, the football may be a shit show. If turn out is low I'm sure the Citrus bowl and Purdue would like some intervention from the ncaa aka clown show. Glad I didn't buy tickets.

Reactions: SKYDOG
As I said 2 weeks ago, this will be Auburn 2.0

However, for the few players that are actually playing, this will help getting more practice time and game experience. It will also allow our new HC to see what he has for next year, so that will be beneficial too.
No one is expecting the world from us in it so no loss. Brees on the sideline can't hurt recruiting wise

When the player is recruited, he is recruited to help us get to a bowl game and even win a Big 10 championship. The Big 10 or NCAA should allow schools to write into the scholarship that if the player opts out of any post season play at his own choice he is required to pay back the scholarship in full including estimated value of housing, travel, meals, etc. I'm tired of them not caring about the schools and teams.

When the player is recruited, he is recruited to help us get to a bowl game and even win a Big 10 championship. The Big 10 or NCAA should allow schools to write into the scholarship that if the player opts out of any post season play at his own choice he is required to pay back the scholarship in full including estimated value of housing, travel, meals, etc. I'm tired of them not caring about the schools and teams.
I agree, but then we will see a rash of hamstring injuries saying they can’t play.

I agree. if a player opts out and wants to pursue his own career, we should say thanks and send him on his way.
the player obviously doesn't need Purdue anymore. let the Purdue facilities be used only by purdue athletes. if you don't want to be a Purdue athlete, then you don't get to use Purdue's facilities. That includes pro days, coaches, trainers, weight lifting, health care, conditioning and everything else Purdue provided for free.
And that really helps in recruiting of athletes how? Let’s keep guys like Jones, Durham, O’Connel out of the weight room, I’m sure that will help with big time recruits. Look, these guys played the season, bowl games these days are for players returning, let’s get a look at Alaimo and Allen in game time situations. LSU will have a ton of guys opt out as well, I’m looking forward to seeing what some of the younger guys can do. I know this, crying about it and punishing the players leaving doesn’t help, thankfully, Purdue won’t do what you’re suggesting.

The LUST for both a playoff and the HUGE dollars those three games generate has changed the Bowl Scene forever. Couple that with the Portal and players opting out have ruined a good thing!

While the NIL and transfer rules added to the mess, it’s not your Father’s Bowl Season anymore. What was one of the greatest days in Sports, the four-five major bowl games played on January 1 with a National Championship on the line is no more!

• Angry
why would fans want to pay good money to see a game between second stringers? not a fan of players sitting out the bowl games because they are now, after 12 or 13 games, afraid of an injury. why not sit out the whole season? simply ridiculous on the part of the players

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT