ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Games are Now a Joke

why would fans want to pay good money to see a game between second stringers? not a fan of players sitting out the bowl games because they are now, after 12 or 13 games, afraid of an injury. why not sit out the whole season? simply ridiculous on the part of the players
I got a buddy that has tickets, he wants to go away because it’s in Florida and he’s got buddies coming in as well. The game is secondary really.

The LUST for both a playoff and the HUGE dollars those three games generate has changed the Bowl Scene forever. Couple that with the Portal and players opting out have ruined a good thing!

While the NIL and transfer rules added to the mess, it’s not your Father’s Bowl Season anymore. What was one of the greatest days in Sports, the four-five major bowl games played on January 1 with a National Championship on the line is no more!
Just think if people weren’t betting on these games? I used to love the Rose Bowl, now I could care less about the game. I really don’t even enjoy the college playoffs, games are usually boring.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
I got a buddy that has tickets, he wants to go away because it’s in Florida and he’s got buddies coming in as well. The game is secondary really.
he could just go to florida and not get tickets and save money. a waste of good money in my opinion

I have to admit I’m disappointed in the guys opting out. You can call me a cranky old guy or whatever, but at the end of the day it’s just selfish and a display of the entitled attitude that has come from treating student athletes as if they are already professionals. I never would have thought of O’Connell as a “me” guy, but here we are. Where does it stop? Now it’s the bowl game, but next it’ll be the bucket game doesn’t really matter. Imagine a high school kid who is committed to a D1 school sitting out their teams playoff game so they don’t get hurt. Think about your teammates and don’t quit on them for your own self interests. A lot of them worked every bit as hard and made it possible for you to pursue your dream. They showed up, you should too.

I have to admit I’m disappointed in the guys opting out. You can call me a cranky old guy or whatever, but at the end of the day it’s just selfish and a display of the entitled attitude that has come from treating student athletes as if they are already professionals. I never would have thought of O’Connell as a “me” guy, but here we are. Where does it stop? Now it’s the bowl game, but next it’ll be the bucket game doesn’t really matter. Imagine a high school kid who is committed to a D1 school sitting out their teams playoff game so they don’t get hurt. Think about your teammates and don’t quit on them for your own self interests. A lot of them worked every bit as hard and made it possible for you to pursue your dream. They showed up, you should too.
O'Connell's brother died. He's missed practice, doesn't make him a "me" guy.

You can't compare this to a high school playoff game because it's not a playoff game.

The regular season is over and the team is not competing for a championship anymore. It's just a postseason exhibition game.

And that really helps in recruiting of athletes how? Let’s keep guys like Jones, Durham, O’Connel out of the weight room, I’m sure that will help with big time recruits. Look, these guys played the season, bowl games these days are for players returning, let’s get a look at Alaimo and Allen in game time situations. LSU will have a ton of guys opt out as well, I’m looking forward to seeing what some of the younger guys can do. I know this, crying about it and punishing the players leaving doesn’t help, thankfully, Purdue won’t do what you’re suggesting.
Obviously what we’re currently doing isn’t helping recruiting either. And the players at lsu don’t care either. There are no consequences for their actions. Next year, why even show up for practice? You might get injured. Just skip school altogether it’s too hazardous to their career. Just prepare for and go to the combine. Teams like Green Bay draft players based on speed rather than college performance

O'Connell's brother died. He's missed practice, doesn't make him a "me" guy.

You can't compare this to a high school playoff game because it's not a playoff game.

The regular season is over and the team is not competing for a championship anymore. It's just a postseason exhibition game.
So once you’re eliminated from championship contention (B1G or national), games don’t mean anything?

Hit 'em where it hurts, somehow start holding NIL money from them for the games they "opt" out of. If they want treated like big boys, treat them like like big boys. Put it writing when they sign their scholarship. All schools across the country will have to buy into it.

Last edited:
I’ll miss the days players played in bowl games.
Might as well have Drew Brees play QB for us.

Some of my early memories of Purdue football was Brees in the Alamo Bowl and Orton in the Sun Bowl

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Maybe their coaches should stay until after the Bowl games are over too. Unfortunately it’s all about the dollar.

Maybe their coaches should stay until after the Bowl games are over too. Unfortunately it’s all about the dollar.
No argument there. I’m not thrilled by the coaching carousel at the end of every season either but unfortunately that is part of the profession. Coaches have the right to pursue advancement in their careers or find their dream jobs as much as anyone else. Do I think it’s right to walk out on those other guys in the locker room? The answer is still no.

Reactions: drewjin
1. Allow AOC to do what the hell ever he wants to do. He battled for us through family tragedy that he didn't have to. Shame on those.

2. Who cares? Now that we've reached the bowl level that teams do this all the time. It means they have great talent that don't want to play in an exhibition game (missing out on the top tier/playoffs).

3. Everyone outside of this community loves the hire. Stop going to games and supporting the team. GTFO

he could just go to florida and not get tickets and save money. a waste of good money in my opinion
People enjoy going to games, in the end it’s still your school vs another school. He’s actually looking forward to seeing Allen play, I hope Burton gets 1 possession and turns it over to the kids returning. Bowl games now except for a few don’t mean much, the one area it does help is the extra practices and the game time for some who may not have played much during the season. Kids get to play on tv with many watching.

Reactions: NVboiler
Obviously what we’re currently doing isn’t helping recruiting either. And the players at lsu don’t care either. There are no consequences for their actions. Next year, why even show up for practice? You might get injured. Just skip school altogether it’s too hazardous to their career. Just prepare for and go to the combine. Teams like Green Bay draft players based on speed rather than college performance
You’re getting yourself in a tizzy over a meaningless bowl game, trust me LSU will have many missing as well. Watch some of the younger players and see if they can possibly be contributors for next season. I realize like myself bowl games years ago were staples of the holiday season, things have changed, now most are nothing but glorified scrimmages. If a 5th or in this case 6th year Sr wants to opt out let him, who knows what the guys may or may or not be going through. AOC just lost his brother, Jones and Durham have battled injuries, maybe they just want to be done with it for the time being.

Just received another email from athletic dept. marketing tickets to Citrus bowl game and tailgate party. My guess is they are having trouble selling their allotment. A difficult task it is attempting to put lipstick 💄 on a pig 🐖.

Reactions: Boiler8285
If bowl games are now "meaningless" and "glorified exhibition games', where is your motivation to be a fan of Purdue Football? The odds are very high that we are not likely to go to the College Football Playoffs. Obviously for those holding this perspective they are the Holy Grail and nothing else matters. If that is the case, why are you a fan of Purdue Football? I'm genuinely curious.

Reactions: johnboiler123
And now if you read the LSU media reports, they are very concerned about how to prepare for Purdue’s third string players. They are unsure how to set up a practice team to match our starters. They are also concerned about their star players becoming injured playing against undisciplined players who may use illegal blocks, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
If bowl games are now "meaningless" and "glorified exhibition games', where is your motivation to be a fan of Purdue Football? The odds are very high that we are not likely to go to the College Football Playoffs. Obviously for those holding this perspective they are the Holy Grail and nothing else matters. If that is the case, why are you a fan of Purdue Football? I'm genuinely curious.
I personally enjoy all of our bowl games. Think most other people do as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT