ADVERTISEMENT

Boiler Upload Emergency Podcast

Agree our coaching staff is experienced & would have benefited from his talent.

Big picture....Might cost us a random win when talent heats up & Catchings on fire. At the same time, getting rid games where he thinks he's on fire, but is not, likely adds to overall team win total to the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: FiveWeight
Appreciate the honesty from Andrew and Casey on the loss of Catchings and how our ceiling took a big hit next two seasons (Catchings is a 2-year college player). I have posted that Purdue should have granted his wishes to keep him (apparently playing time...and his level of play on the court would have justified the court time guarantee from Painter)...Catchings is that important and valuable to this team. Most fans brushed it off...good riddance comments, not an NBA talent. BS with those comments...his lineage, physical build once he puts on weight/muscle (2-years in college to do so), skill set tells me that he is a star in the making not only in college but also in the NBA. It is very unfortunate that our coaches can NOT see that (Painter's stubbornness comes back to bite Purdue in the butt once again)...and make sure he is happy and committed here. I guarantee that Purdue will look back...and see what a big, big mistake it was not to keep this kid here at Purdue.

Last edited:
Appreciate the honesty from Andrew and Casey on the loss of Catchings and how our ceiling took a big hit next two seasons (Catchings is a 2-year college player). I have posted that Purdue should have granted his wishes to keep him (apparently playing time...and his level of play on the court would have justified the court time guarantee from Painter)...Catchings is that important and valuable to this team. Most fans brushed it off...good riddance comments, not an NBA talent. BS with those comments...his lineage, physical build once he puts on weight/muscle (2-years in college to do so), skill set tells me that he is a star in the making not only in college but also in the NBA. It is very unfortunate that our coaches can NOT see that (Painter's stubbornness comes back to bite Purdue in the butt once again)...and make sure he is happy and committed here. I guarantee that Purdue will look back...and see what a big, big mistake it was not to keep this kid here at Purdue.
No absolutely not to providing him a guarantee! He needs to put in the work and earn it and prove himself just like the other guys! I don’t doubt at all that he possesses an impressive skill set. That’s the point, don’t be a prima Donna making demands for special treatment without ever stepping on the court for the team. If you are good enough and cocky enough to feel like you deserve the starting job and lots of playing time, let your talent and skill show that and come in and work hard leaving no doubt that is what you bring to the table! If you back up your belief on the court you will get what you want. You’ll play a lot and be featured. Don’t come in and immediately disrupt things and be problematic for the team. Coaches want you to succeed and need to field the best team possible maintaining the team chemistry to set up the best chance for success as a team not to showcase an individual at the expense of the team. Let your talent shine in the system and it’s the best outcome.

Agree with some of this especially keeping recruit happy.

Don't agree on Stubbornness? Court time guarantees? All BS

Like CMP & Catchings just finally talked and issues came up. LOL
CMP talks to his recruits continually as much as allowed.

This is about $ imo.

Agree he is likely a 2 yr guy & if so that's talent we will miss in yr 2. If he turns out to be a 1&D. Likely causes more losses than wins in yr 1. Let's face it, frosh can be wildly inconsistent

Last edited:
Reactions: pubill
Is this a bit where you’re just looking for attention? My sense is that’s what you’re doing and you’re not doing it very well.

Last edited:

This is about $ imo.

Agree he is likely a 2 yr guy & if so that's talent we will miss in yr 2. If he turns out to be a 1&D. Likely causes more losses than wins in yr 1. Let's face it, frosh can be wildly inconsistent
Buck, I’ll ask you this question because I know you’re a serious poster and I think the other guy is just trying to troll. When you say keeping the recruit happy, what would you have suggested that Painter and staff do?

Specifically, would you have suggested that they promise him a starting role, even if he’s not the best player? How would you handle that with the rest of your players when you’re constantly preaching that it’s up to the players, not the coaches who gets minutes, based on performance?

Buck, I’ll ask you this question because I know you’re a serious poster and I think the other guy is just trying to troll. When you say keeping the recruit happy, what would you have suggested that Painter and staff do?

Specifically, would you have suggested that they promise him a starting role, even if he’s not the best player? How would you handle that with the rest of your players when you’re constantly preaching that it’s up to the players, not the coaches who gets minutes, based on performance?

I don't think this is about "starting" or role. Don't buy that. I am sure CMP has had these discussions with KC all along. They have shown him his role & how he fits in like they do on all recruits. Thus, I concluded this is about $, and people in KCs ear saying Purdue not an NBA stop for a 1&D. I could be wrong, but that's where I am at.

I also believe if he turns out to be a 1&D, this won't effect our W/L record much and if anything will help it. If he ends up being a 2&D, I do believe we would miss that in yr 2, with his extra experience, I think he will be a difference maker then. I think he ends up a 2&D guy.

As far as keeping KC happy.....I am not sure. I am sure CMP did all he could find financial wise? But I do not know. Apparently that was not enough.

I do agree with you. You have to think about the whole team NIL wise and how certain $ would effect the other players.

Last edited:
I don't think this is about "starting" or role. Don't buy that. I am sure CMP has had these discussions with KC all along. They have shown him his role & how he fits in like they do on all recruits. Thus, I concluded this is about $, and people in KCs ear saying Purdue not an NBA stop for a 1&D. I could be wrong, but that's where I am at.

I also believe if he turns out to be a 1&D, this won't effect our W/L record much and if anything will help it. If he ends up being a 2&D, I do believe we would miss that in yr 2, with his extra experience, I think he will be a difference maker then.

As far as keeping KC happy.....I am not sure. I am sure CMP did all he could find financial wise? But I do not know. Apparently that was not enough.
I don’t agree with you on the cause but that’s ok, reasonable people can disagree.

Let’s say it was about money. Painter has consistently approached NIL as ‘everyone gets a baseline amount and if you perform well you can earn a lot more’ (like Zach did), but they’re not going to make big guaranteed offer to unproven players. Do you put that aside and offer Catchings a bag of cash? If so how do you manage all the players on your roster who may not have Catchings’ NBA upside but are currently better players?

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
I don’t agree with you on the cause but that’s ok, reasonable people can disagree.

Let’s say it was about money. Painter has consistently approached NIL as ‘everyone gets a baseline amount and if you perform well you can earn a lot more’ (like Zach did), but they’re not going to make big guaranteed offer to unproven players. Do you put that aside and offer Catchings a bag of cash? If so how do you manage all the players on your roster who may not have Catchings’ NBA upside but are currently better players?

Good point. It likely only matters if he ends up a 2&D. Fairly inconsequential for most 1&Ds with only a few notable exceptions.

Reactions: northside100
Everyone is allowed to express his or her opinion…and that’s all I am doing. Take it how you want…it is a very objective and accurate podcast and I agree with the commentators in that how important Catchings was to this team.

I have been a Purdue fan since the Rick Mount days watching the opening of Mackey Arena when Ken Heitz of UCLA hit a shot at mid court for a 71-69 loss to Lew Alcindor and UCLA. I was there in Pasadena against the Washington Huskies in 2001. I support Purdue sports attending as many games as possible.

I graduated in 1984 from Purdue with a degree in meteorology followed by a Master degree in meteorology at FSU in 1987…and enjoyed a 34-year career in the National Weather Service retiring in 2021.

I played basketball growing up having played against Kent Benson in parochial school in 1967 as well as Barber whose brother was the star on the 1967 New Castle Trojans State Finals team. Benson and Barber were 6th graders on an undefeated St Annes of New Castle team (confirmed by Benson per a conversation)...and I started as a 5th grader then.

I also played against Gerald Thomas that same year, who played for Purdue in the mid 1970s. His grade school team (Frazee) in Connersville, IN also was very good: front court consisted of Gerald Thomas at center, Jerry Ellis (whose brother Gregg Ellis started as a defensive lineman at the University of Michigan), and Tom Newton who was drafted by and played backup running back for the New York Jets were the forwards. We (St Gabriel of Connersville) defeated their grade school team (Frazee) on their home court in the last regular season game for their only loss of the season by one point in 1967. Frazee went on to win the city tourney at Spartan Bowl that year. The Whitewater Valley was loaded with talent then: Connersville, New Castle, Richmond (Trent Smock, Rick Thalls and Gene Spicer).

I have always very much enjoyed sports (basketball, baseball and football)….and appreciate boards like this to share thoughts, opinions and stories.

Last edited:

This is about $ imo.

I listened to Gold and Black Saturday simulcast and Brian was very interesting and informative. If you can take a listen

Without looking, I am speculating that there is a strong correlation between the people who thinks Painter should abandon his principles on how to build a team and those who insisted he would never get to a Final Four.

Everyone is allowed to express his or her opinion…and that’s all I am doing. Take it how you want…it is a very objective and accurate podcast and I agree with the commentators in that how important Catchings was to this team.

I have been a Purdue fan since the Rick Mount days watching the opening of Mackey Arena when Ken Heitz of UCLA hit a shot at mid court for a 71-69 loss to Lew Alcindor and UCLA. I was there in Pasadena against the Washington Huskies in 2001. I support Purdue sports attending as many games as possible.

I graduated in 1984 from Purdue with a degree in meteorology followed by a Master degree in meteorology at FSU in 1987…and enjoyed a 34-year career in the National Weather Service retiring in 2021.

I played basketball growing up having played against Kent Benson in parochial school in 1967 as well as Barber whose brother was the star on the 1967 New Castle Trojans State Finals team. Benson and Barber were 6th graders on an undefeated St Annes of New Castle team (confirmed by Benson per a conversation)...and I started as a 5th grader then.

I also played against Gerald Thomas that same year, who played for Purdue in the mid 1970s. His grade school team (Frazee) in Connersville, IN also was very good: front court consisted of Gerald Thomas at center, Jerry Ellis (whose brother Gregg Ellis started as a defensive lineman at the University of Michigan), and Tom Newton who was drafted by and played backup running back for the New York Jets were the forwards. We (St Gabriel of Connersville) defeated their grade school team (Frazee) on their home court in the last regular season game for their only loss of the season by one point in 1967. Frazee went on to win the city tourney at Spartan Bowl that year. The Whitewater Valley was loaded with talent then: Connersville, New Castle, Richmond (Trent Smock, Rick Thalls and Gene Spicer).

I have always very much enjoyed sports (basketball, baseball and football)….and appreciate boards like this to share thoughts, opinions and stories.
Guessing you played in the Spartan Bowl, if not on the basketball team, then at least in PE.

Gerald is the man. Was my neighbor for quite some time.

Reactions: seminolesboilers
I listened to Gold and Black Saturday simulcast and Brian was very interesting and informative. If you can take a listen
Would recommend this podcast (Saturday Simulcast) to everyone. It explains about the “history” of KC’s recruitment and the ups and downs over the last year or so. Made me much less anxious and disappointed about this latest turn of events. Brian Neubert with the calm take and voice of reason, as usual. 😎

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I listed this afternoon, thanks for recommending, good stuff. It was interesting to me that 1) they state that they don't believe that there were explicit demands place by CK, which is different than what I originally understood 2) the assertion that Painter could have told CK all the things he wanted to hear and this likely would have blown over, but MP elected not to do that, is very telling.

Given your background, it's even more obvious that your posts are aimed at either drawing attention to yourself or generally entertaining yourself by trying to 'stir things up'.

Connersville? knew 2 guys from there during my time at Purdue ( 74 - 78 ) Jeff Jones and Charlie Ford

Yes…I knew Charles Ford, Jeff Jones and Gary Redelman (all 1972 CHS graduates who went to Purdue and who went to parochial school with me…I am 2 years younger though).

Last edited:
Some board members take the board too seriously…and do NOT respect another’s opposing opinion. Very sad…

Board members think if you do not agree with he or she you’re wrong, stupid, silly. Again…very sad.

Some board members take the board too seriously…and do NOT respect another’s opposing opinion. Very sad…

Board members think if you do not agree with he or she you’re wrong, stupid, silly. Again…very sad.
But then again, sometimes they are wrong. And stupid. And silly. "Opinions" can be all of those. Welcome to the human race.

How would you now describe your long-standing opinion about Matt Painter chances of making a Final Four? And whether he should keep his job at Purdue?

Last year…Painter proved his worth. I admit I was wrong then about firing him. Maybe it’s about maturation phase as a coach…and takes some years before realizing success in the NCAA tournament. Coach Knight is an exception and one who succeeded in the Tournament at a young age.
Respect all…

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Just expressing my opinion and will continue to do so ….which everyone has the right to do.
I 100% respect and support your right to express any opinions you'd like.

Given your background, I have a hard time believing that someone with your experience and what I can assume is a fairly high level of intelligence, would post some of the views you espouse in earnestness. I also support your right to post such things as a way to draw attention to yourself or have fun seeing what reaction you can garner, but that doesn't mean I won't at times call it out when I see it.

Is this Catchings writing this 🤔

There is a difference in disagreeing with a stated opinion and the name calling a lot of you do when you disagree with said opinion! Rather than arguing against the validity of the opinion, a lot of you just harass and belittle the person you disagree with Am I right, chi chi ? How bout them Sox? I wouldn’t bet on them this year!

Even if he becomes Mike Jordan the Second , I will not believe it is a mistake. The team is most important not the individuals. We don’t want any more Ronnie Johnson’s on our teams.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT