ADVERTISEMENT

Boiler UP - #3 ranked 2020 recruiting class

John Wooden won 10 national championships in a 12 year career at UCLA, including 7 in a row.
Wouldn’t that make him the best of the best?

I'm talking about right now, I was asked if I would take John Calipari over Archie Miller. Of course I wouldn't take a coach who has been gone from this Earth for nearly 10 years.

You said the best of the best. There can be only one ana y

It isn’t the same thing but, you already knew that.

I didn't say the best of all time. Context. I was asked if I would take Calipari over Archie right now. My answer "he's the best of the best" doesn't include John Wooden because not only is he no longer coaching, he's also dead. Cal is the best coach in college basketball today. That's why I said what I said. Now go practice falling down.

I didn't say the best of all time. Context. I was asked if I would take Calipari over Archie right now. My answer "he's the best of the best" doesn't include John Wooden because not only is he no longer coaching, he's also dead. Cal is the best coach in college basketball today. That's why I said what I said. Now go practice falling down.
That still doesn’t mean he is the best of the best. Wright has won two national championships in that same time frame. Many would say that is better. Is it not?

It’s also pretty funny that when you are shown to not know what you are talking about, you lash out. Is that what your mother did to you as a child?

That still doesn’t mean he is the best of the best. Wright has won two national championships in that same time frame. Many would say that is better. Is it not?

No coach in the last decade has advanced in the tournament as constantly and as far as Calipari and in all honesty it's not even close. Cal has advanced to the E8 7 or more times. No coach has done it more than 5 times. You seem to have a problem with my opinion? Or do you just like picking fights for no apparent reason?

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
No coach in the last decade has advanced in the tournament as constantly and as far as Calipari and in all honesty it's not even close. Cal has advanced to the E8 7 or more times. No coach has done it more than 5 times. You seem to have a problem with my opinion? Or do you just like picking fights for no apparent reason?
That doesn’t make him the best of the best. Google best current college basketball coaches and he isn’t on top of any list I can find. Maybe it’s just you who thinks that.
Hint: You thinking something doesn’t make it fact.
Bob Knight is still alive. Is Calipari better than him?

That doesn’t make him the best of the best. Google best current college basketball coaches and he isn’t on top of any list I can find. Maybe it’s just you who thinks that.
Hint: You thinking something doesn’t make it fact.
Bob Knight is still alive. Is Calipari better than him?

This isn't a debate about who the best coach of all-time is, never was and never has been until you made it one. I was asked a question if I would take Calipari over Archie Miller and I said yes because I consider him to be the best college basketball coach today. This was never about hypothetical scenario where you get to choose a coach from any era, I was asked if I would replace Cal with Archie and of course I said yes because it is of my opinion that he's the best in the game.

I don't need to Google anything because just as I have mine, every list is completely subjective and there isn't a right or wrong answer.

This isn't a debate about who the best coach of all-time is, never was and never has been until you made it one. I was asked a question if I would take Calipari over Archie Miller and I said yes because I consider him to be the best college basketball coach today. This was never about hypothetical scenario where you get to choose a coach from any era, I was asked if I would replace Cal with Archie and of course I said yes because it is of my opinion that he's the best in the game.

I don't need to Google anything because just as I have mine, every list is completely subjective and there isn't a right or wrong answer.
If there isn’t a right or wrong answer, how can you make a claim that he is the best of the best? Most people would choose a coach who has won more championships than one who has won less. Right?
It is funny watching you come to a Purdue board defending Calipari while simultaneously posting on the IU board defending Miller. You clearly didn’t get enough attention as a child.

You don’t find it weird that when defending Miller, you demand data in support of an opinion, but, while defending Calipari, data doesn’t persuade you?

I think it’s a pretty widely held belief that as of right now, coach K is the best of the best in college basketball. That can be debated of course but nobody coaching right now has won as many championships as him. As an IU fan, one would think championships count the most.

If there isn’t a right or wrong answer, how can you make a claim that he is the best of the best? Most people would choose a coach who has won more championships than one who has won less. Right?
It is funny watching you come to a Purdue board defending Calipari while simultaneously posting on the IU board defending Miller. You clearly didn’t get enough attention as a child.

You don’t find it weird that when defending Miller, you demand data in support of an opinion, but, while defending Calipari, data doesn’t persuade you?

I think it’s a pretty widely held belief that as of right now, coach K is the best of the best in college basketball. That can be debated of course but nobody coaching right now has won as many championships as him. As an IU fan, one would think championships count the most.

You're a literally a dumbass. I would take K over Archie as well. I was never asked "who would replace Archie Miller with", I was asked if you would "replace Cal with Miller". It's a yes or no answer. I answered yes. You weren't even involved in the conversation, let alone can grasp the context of the conversation. I'm taking Calipari over any coach in college basketball right now to coach my team because nobody has been more consistent or recruited better than Cal in the last decade. I'm done speaking with you. Ignore feature will be just fine for you.

You're a literally a dumbass. I would take K over Archie as well. I was never asked "who would replace Archie Miller with", I was asked if you would "replace Cal with Miller". It's a yes or no answer. I answered yes. You weren't even involved in the conversation, let alone can grasp the context of the conversation. I'm taking Calipari over any coach in college basketball right now to coach my team because nobody has been more consistent or recruited better than Cal in the last decade. I'm done speaking with you. Ignore feature will be just fine for you.
This guy thinks that posting on a free message board constitutes a "conversation"! Got news for you buddy, what you post is openly read by anyone who wants to, and anyone who wants to can respond too. Get over yourself, and stop with the attitude.

When you say "best of the best" you have invited lots of debate. Don't get all bent when someone disagrees with you. Calipari failed miserably attempting to coach at the next level. Many will say his success at the college level didn't take off until he started working with World-Wide-Wes. That shadowy figure routed really good players to Calipari. Hell, even Tom Crean could claim success with that talent. Best of the best? I don't think he's even close as a real functional coach, when he can't roll out a dozen burger boys.

I don’t believe for a second that coach Cal or coach K are the two best in the business. Do they consistently get the top recruits? Yes. That does not make them great coaches.

My wife put together a flag football team years ago to play in an indoor league. Two year undefeated run and no one even came close to beating our team. Does that make me the best flag football coach in our area? No, she was able to get the absolute best athletes in my sons age group to play together. I did not have any plays, just made it up as we went.

I don’t believe for a second that coach Cal or coach K are the two best in the business. Do they consistently get the top recruits? Yes. That does not make them great coaches.

My wife put together a flag football team years ago to play in an indoor league. Two year undefeated run and no one even came close to beating our team. Does that make me the best flag football coach in our area? No, she was able to get the absolute best athletes in my sons age group to play together. I did not have any plays, just made it up as we went.
The best-of-the-best coaches are coaching in the NBA pro ranks for the most part. That is where the game is being created and innovation is taking place.

No coach in the last decade has advanced in the tournament as constantly and as far as Calipari and in all honesty it's not even close. Cal has advanced to the E8 7 or more times. No coach has done it more than 5 times. You seem to have a problem with my opinion?
Because he cheats?

Because he cheats?
giphy.gif

Reactions: BoilerAndy

I agree with this somewhat. I think K was able to get the best due to his performance. Five titles in the modern era is tough to beat.

For me however, I prefer what we have with Painter. I was not a fan of the hire but he has proven to be a damn good coach on both sides of the ball. He has grown from year to year and this past season was a complete joy to experience as a fan.

This guy thinks that posting on a free message board constitutes a "conversation"! Got news for you buddy, what you post is openly read by anyone who wants to, and anyone who wants to can respond too. Get over yourself, and stop with the attitude.

When you say "best of the best" you have invited lots of debate. Don't get all bent when someone disagrees with you. Calipari failed miserably attempting to coach at the next level. Many will say his success at the college level didn't take off until he started working with World-Wide-Wes. That shadowy figure routed really good players to Calipari. Hell, even Tom Crean could claim success with that talent. Best of the best? I don't think he's even close as a real functional coach, when he can't roll out a dozen burger boys.

That’s rich. John Wooden didn’t win a national title until Sam Gilbert came into the picture. Do you really want to go down that route? Wooden would have been barred from college basketball long before his dynasty took off of the NCAA was regulated back then the way it is today.

In a results based profession, it doesn’t get better than Cal or K. Pick a sport, who are always regarded as the best in their profession?

That’s rich. John Wooden didn’t win a national title until Sam Gilbert came into the picture. Do you really want to go down that route? Wooden would have been barred from college basketball long before his dynasty took off of the NCAA was regulated back then the way it is today.
Nice deflection. LOL! I didn't go down that path, you are. Lets get back to the topic here. We are talking about Calipari and if he is really the "best of the best".

Source? Link?

I'm not sure if he doesn't think there is any gray area in Coach Cal or Coach K's recruiting. There has been numerous reports about both doing some shady recruiting. The difference is the NCAA could give 2 cents if you cheat as long as you pad their pocket. Do you honestly trust the NCAA and their investigations?

I didn't see any NCAA violations in your posts for Wooden himself. So, you claim Wooden is dirty but claim Cal is the best of the best? His schools have had direct violations under his leadership. Wooden has hearsay implications and nothing direct. Also, Knight choked many players and then couldn't remember choking the one that caught him on video. I like Knight as a basketball mind but in today's world wouldn't let him near my basketball program.

I didn't see any NCAA violations in your posts for Wooden himself. So, you claim Wooden is dirty but claim Cal is the best of the best? His schools have had direct violations under his leadership. Wooden has hearsay implications and nothing direct. Also, Knight choked many players and then couldn't remember choking the one that caught him on video. I like Knight as a basketball mind but in today's world wouldn't let him near my basketball program.

If you honestly clicked any of those links and came away with anything other than UCLA is the most corrupt program of all time, you’re either:

A) ignorant
B) can’t read at a second grade level

In all those articles, there’s dozens of admitted NCAA violations that if occurred today UCLA would be wiped off that map.

-UCLA players admitting to taking impermissible benefits from Sam Gilbert for over a decade. One UCLA player says, “inside the lines we listen to Coach Wooden, off the court Sam Gilbert”. Another UCLA player describes getting paid for every point or rebound he scored.

-Wooden himself (after he retired) admits to having “tunnel vision” and “trusted Gilbert too much” basically acknowledging he turned a blind eye. That’s failure to monitor and promote a culture of compliance, a direct violation into today’s world.

-an NCAA field investigator is quoted as saying, “I could have put UCLA on indefinite suspension”, but reports that he was told to drop it because it would a black eye on the narrative that Wooden is Saint.

If you honestly clicked any of those links and came away with anything other than UCLA is the most corrupt program of all time, you’re either:

A) ignorant

In all those articles, there’s dozens of admitted NCAA violations that if occurred today UCLA would be wiped off that map.

-UCLA players admitting to taking impermissible benefits from Sam Gilbert for over a decade. One UCLA player says, “inside the lines we listen to Coach Wooden, off the court Sam Gilbert”. Another UCLA player describes getting paid for every point or rebound he scored.

-Wooden himself (after he retired) admits to having “tunnel vision” and “trusted Gilbert too much” basically acknowledging he turned a blind eye. That’s failure to monitor and promote a culture of compliance, a direct violation into today’s world.

-an NCAA field investigator is quoted as saying, “I could have put UCLA on indefinite suspension”, but reports that he was told to drop it because it would a black eye on the narrative that Wooden is Saint.
And you think coach Cal is the best of the best? You criticize Wooden but praise Cal and for what? His issues at every school he has coached minus Kentucky as of now.

A) ignorant

So you agree it was UCLA and not Wooden himself?

So you agree it was UCLA and not Wooden himself?

Isn't this the same double standard you hypocrites on this board used for Cal? Cal is dirty because he was the head coach at Memphis and UMass but Wooden gets a pass because he's a former Boilermaker and our shit never stinks?

You twinks all bit on Indy16's misdirect. Wooden is not the topic here. He jumped on the Wooden deal as soon as I brought up WWW hoping he would not have to argue further about Calipari. The guy just likes to argue.

Neither coach can be justified in their use of an outside "supplier" directing kids to their program. It corrupts Calipari and invalidates the premise that he is the best of the best. Follow the argument and don't get pulled aside by a clever but blatant attempt to misdirect.

I don't know about the rest of you but this thread has just become troll bait.

You twinks all bit on Indy16's misdirect. Wooden is not the topic here. He jumped on the Wooden deal as soon as I brought up WWW hoping he would not have to argue further about Calipari. The guy just likes to argue.

Neither coach can be justified in their use of an outside "supplier" directing kids to their program. It corrupts Calipari and invalidates the premise that he is the best of the best. Follow the argument and don't get pulled aside by a clever but blatant attempt to misdirect.

I don't know about the rest of you but this thread has just become troll bait.

There's nothing further to discuss about Calipari. He was cleared by the NCAA from any wrong doing, that was hashed out and discussed weeks ago. But even though Calipari was cleared by the NCAA, he's still the biggest cheater in the game according to those who posted. I believe it was you who equated Cal to a "captain going down with a sinking ship" because he was in charge of the program. Do the same rules not apply to Wooden as the head of the basketball program, a program that committed not some but dozens maybe even hundreds of NCAA violations during his dynasty? You just lost at your own game. Where that double standard with pride.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT