ADVERTISEMENT

Article on Braden Smith

Braden

His story is quite remarkable. Big fan of Braden. I'm still surprised by how well he is doing. The freshman wall has to hit at some point, right?
Purdue wasn't surprised with his ability to control a game, but even they found out he was better than they thought and they thought he would be good. IMO Braden is the ideal PG for Purdue in that he is a pass first PG and although he touches the ball a lot...he really isn't ball dominate like many PGs...especially those teams where the PG looks more to score.

Braden has the ball, but he keeps it moving generally and he sees the entire court typically with the one miss on the wing last game I saw that may have been Ethan or Mason or?? He rarely dribbles without a purpose. Once he gets a bit more endurance, his shooting will increase...not that he is bad now just that he exerts sooooooooo much physical energy something has to take a hit.

Interestingly, for many years or two or three decades the thought was that the key to being good was to have great 1s and 5s and Purdue has that! ;)

When I think of the top freshman guards that Painter has had (Kramer, Moore, Edwards, Ivey), both Smith and Loyer are right there with that group. Smith is unique in that group in that he is a pure point guard and, as TJ said, a perfect fit for Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT