ADVERTISEMENT

Big first June recruiting weekend. Do we get any verbals this weekend?

You’ve got my attention. Why?
Already a 5.7 with Mississippi state and other p5 (can’t remember where but west coast) offers in addition to big ten offers looking like a commit ..

A coaches tweet SEEMS to read like there are 3 more commits.: which wound be huge cause I don’t think anyone visiting was below a 5.6 RR … but it’s looking like the previously mentioned is in the bag so far

Reactions: pboiler18
T
Bonefish is the kind of guy who thinks NIL is evil, chastises Purdue for Not having it mastered in the same sentence THEN criticizes who we recruit when we don’t do pay for play because again…NIL is evil.

The kid is either a fit/future contributor or he’s not. As of now, all he has is a shot and a year or two to figure it out. Brohm has done a good job using the portal to cull the misses and then bring in guys who can contribute this far.

Why be SUCH a bitch that you criticize your staff for bringing in a kid who wants to be here and that they think will contribute? What do you know as a message board peon that they do t? I guess it’s damned if you do and damned if you don’t with the obsessed message board fan boys.

You do realize this is Purdue right? Not some blue blood? Why do you suddenly expect us to only start recruiting the rivals 250?
This era of NIL puts a premium on those players that really want to play at certain schools and will be fully devoted to the coach and school...

T

This era of NIL puts a premium on those players that really want to play at certain schools and will be fully devoted to the coach and school...
For the really talented kids that might have a shoot at the pros, I don't think a college choice is as much about loyaltly and going where they grew up cheering for. For many, it's a business decision on where's going to get them to the next level. NIL might be making it even more of an immediate business decision for some guys.
A guy like Anthrop wasn't going anywhere but Purdue, but he also had limited options. Rondale Moore could have gone anywhere in the country but he was loyal to the coach.

Reactions: Bippus33
For the really talented kids that might have a shoot at the pros, I don't think a college choice is as much about loyaltly and going where they grew up cheering for. For many, it's a business decision on where's going to get them to the next level. NIL might be making it even more of an immediate business decision for some guys.
A guy like Anthrop wasn't going anywhere but Purdue, but he also had limited options. Rondale Moore could have gone anywhere in the country but he was loyal to the coach.
IMO the first thing you do is get a team like the northwestern teams Fitzgerald used to win the league with, full of guys who wanna be here for the right reasons, who won’t need you to break the bank to keep the good ones from being poached. Then you focus on trying to reel in the kids who will need dollars up front just to come

5.7 RR DT drake Carlson just committed.. offers from Mississippi state, Stanford, Tennessee, Virginia tech etc

IMO the first thing you do is get a team like the northwestern teams Fitzgerald used to win the league with, full of guys who wanna be here for the right reasons, who won’t need you to break the bank to keep the good ones from being poached. Then you focus on trying to reel in the kids who will need dollars up front just to come
What's your fascination with Northwestern? NU is a bottom 1/3 B10 program. Fitz is 109-90 record, barely over .500.

And who cares if you now have to pay players. It's part of the landscape now. If that's what you need to get and keep top talent, well....then that's what you have to do. Money at Purdue should never be an issue.

What's your fascination with Northwestern? NU is a bottom 1/3 B10 program. Fitz is 109-90 record, barely over .500.

And who cares if you now have to pay players. It's part of the landscape now. If that's what you need to get and keep top talent, well....then that's what you have to do. Money at Purdue should never be an issue.
When they were winning the league not overall.. build teams like that because you’ll need them when you have your next David bell or GK WHO DOESNT HAVE TIES TO PURDUE and Ohio state comes in with FU money…

You’ll see ..: there will be teams like we are building now who will be fine when a Garrett Miller has a great season and gets poached.. then there will be star struck teams like Nebraska who won’t have enough will honas type guys in their program to withstand a big poach offseason.

I’m with you on paying guys I just believe that the decision makers with purdue will mostly pay guys who are already HERE.. a lot of deals will be signed right after 5/1 for guys who stay here another year IMO..

yeah I’d like to pay for a big time team just like you.. it ain’t up to me

When they were winning the league not overall.. build teams like that because you’ll need them when you have your next David bell or GK WHO DOESNT HAVE TIES TO PURDUE and Ohio state comes in with FU money…

You’ll see ..: there will be teams like we are building now who will be fine when a Garrett Miller has a great season and gets poached.. then there will be star struck teams like Nebraska who won’t have enough will honas type guys in their program to withstand a big poach offseason.

I’m with you on paying guys I just believe that the decision makers with purdue will mostly pay guys who are already HERE.. a lot of deals will be signed right after 5/1 for guys who stay here another year IMO..

yeah I’d like to pay for a big time team just like you.. it ain’t up to me
You know, there are some similarities between this approach and what the Colts do. They focusing on drafting and developing their own players, then giving the big contracts to their own players instead of free agents. It’s paying the known quantity versus paying the unknown quantity.

Reactions: Bippus33
You know, there are some similarities between this approach and what the Colts do. They focusing on drafting and developing their own players, then giving the big contracts to their own players instead of free agents. It’s paying the known quantity versus paying the unknown quantity.
Yeah I just feel like you’re gonna need a survival strategy right? I brought up how it would take 8 million or something to compete for the league a month ago on KC. I got mocked … then day said 13.. next year you may see teams spending 20. Well.. if your roster is as close to 85 deep as possible with guys who can get out there and play productive big ten football.. you’ll stay relevant when the big boys come for Jalen Graham or next years Jalen Graham.

I think failing to take this approach could see a school like us or Rutgers or Iowa crippled for an entire season by the lawlessness … some schools won’t make it back.

Yeah I just feel like you’re gonna need a survival strategy right? I brought up how it would take 8 million or something to compete for the league a month ago on KC. I got mocked … then day said 13.. next year you may see teams spending 20. Well.. if your roster is as close to 85 deep as possible with guys who can get out there and play productive big ten football.. you’ll stay relevant when the big boys come for Jalen Graham or next years Jalen Graham.

I think failing to take this approach could see a school like us or Rutgers or Iowa crippled for an entire season by the lawlessness … some schools won’t make it back.
Yeah we’re not outbidding the Dodgers and Yankees for the next #1 starter to hit the open market. At least until we get a Purdue grad billionaire tycoon who also loves sports.

Yeah we’re not outbidding the Dodgers and Yankees for the next #1 starter to hit the open market. At least until we get a Purdue grad billionaire tycoon who also loves sports.
I think a lot of things could mitigate though.. recruit a NU type team, get what I call DOWN transfers like Cole brevard .. as the big boys take they also give. Poach lower conferences and divisions, and also schools within the conference when you offer greater opportunity (Iowa and receivers) and at least pay your own guys.

the schools who can do that and stay afloat could gain a lot of ancillary benefits .. not that you disagree with any of that

I think a lot of things could mitigate though.. recruit a NU type team, get what I call DOWN transfers like Cole brevard .. as the big boys take they also give. Poach lower conferences and divisions, and also schools within the conference when you offer greater opportunity (Iowa and receivers) and at least pay your own guys.

the schools who can do that and stay afloat could gain a lot of ancillary benefits .. not that you disagree with any of that
Yep. It needs to be an “all of the above” approach. The only question is, will there still be “lower conferences” to poach in 5-10 years ?

5.7 RR DT drake Carlson just committed.. offers from Mississippi state, Stanford, Tennessee, Virginia tech etc

36c0aa0b-d101-4caa-9ad9-b9b698a8722c_text.gif

Did you see how UT & their 'fans' acted during Baseball SuperRegionals? Glad ND beat the backward asses.
I've really enjoyed watching UT lose important games to Purdue and ND. They're quickly becoming my second least favorite fan base behind iu. Their players, coach and fans all represent eachother very well with a lack of composure and sportsmanship.

I've really enjoyed watching UT lose important games to Purdue and ND. They're quickly becoming my second least favorite fan base behind iu. Their players, coach and fans all represent eachother very well with a lack of composure and sportsmanship.
As an Indiana fan living in Tennessee, I can tell you that UT fans make Purdue fans look somewhat civilized. 😉

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT