ADVERTISEMENT

Big first June recruiting weekend. Do we get any verbals this weekend?

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
We have our first big June recruiting weekend this weekend, which has normally been good for us the last few years. I am not sure if the NIL will change that this year, but we seem to have a lot of big time in state visitors this weekend.

Do we get a verbal from anyone this weekend?

Will we land another Thieneman brother in this class?

Think we will see a lot fewer HS Commits overall with the portal
Not just the portal but with the extra Covid year still in play classes will remain on the small side. So, if you are now recruiting a class of 18 instead of 25, do you take as many early commits? If a recruit isn't a sure fire starter now maybe wait to offer whereas before you would try to start loading up your class early. It seems like there are always 'x' number of spots to hold open for later commits.

Reactions: DAG10
Think we will see a lot fewer HS Commits overall with the portal
That is going to be a thing for all schools for both basketball and football as schools want to see if they can get a proven commodity to make an immediate impact.

We used to hear about JC potential transfers, which has really decreased over the last year or so with the new transfer portal and NIL.

That is very encouraging. Will be anxious to hear who is going to be announcing.
Is it? In this era I’d say it depends who commits. You want your coveted recruits and then you want every last spot outside of that for portal additions. I don’t think it would be smart to offer ryan Brandt unless you think he’s gonna be like a Horvath or Oconnell type addition

If I was a high school senior and had an offer from the school that I was pretty sure I wanted to attend, I think I would be committing. There are going to be a lot fewer scholarships for high school players with the ones being held back for transfers.

If I was a high school senior and had an offer from the school that I was pretty sure I wanted to attend, I think I would be committing. There are going to be a lot fewer scholarships for high school players with the ones being held back for transfers.
Lmao fleck starting his hour glass routine right after June offers 😂😂

Agree. If you aren't top 100, I think you take what you can get and then use transfer as a fall back plan.

Is it? In this era I’d say it depends who commits. You want your coveted recruits and then you want every last spot outside of that for portal additions. I don’t think it would be smart to offer ryan Brandt unless you think he’s gonna be like a Horvath or Oconnell type addition
Unless we want to play the bidding war for the top transfers and the 4 star recruits, which I am not too sure we are going to do that consistently, we are going to really evaluate who is that diamond in the rough

Plenty of guys in between the types of guys guy named and who I’m talking about. Plenty of guys who aren’t George karlaftis but who also aren’t crishawn long

More info came out on Davis right after his commitment and it looks like he’s far from crishawn long, but if he was, you don’t take him. And there are guys like that on our roster right now that I’m not gonna name but you don’t have to be a doctor to figure out who

Plenty of guys in between the types of guys guy named and who I’m talking about. Plenty of guys who aren’t George karlaftis but who also aren’t crishawn long

More info came out on Davis right after his commitment and it looks like he’s far from crishawn long, but if he was, you don’t take him. And there are guys like that on our roster right now that I’m not gonna name but you don’t have to be a doctor to figure out who
Looks like another guy that goes to class and practices with the team.

As in scrappy doo! If you know scrappy doo you know what the term scrappy means. If you watch hgtv you also know what the term cozy cottage term means
Listen man .. you don’t know why I was asking. I’m trying to find out if that post was meaning that those attributes are euphemisms for “doesn’t have talent” because he does

Listen man .. you don’t know why I was asking. I’m trying to find out if that post was meaning that those attributes are euphemisms for “doesn’t have talent” because he does
Akron, Army, Ball State, Central MI. That's this offer list.

The same as when they say a basketball player has a high basketball IQ.
Ok but are you saying it as though the implied end of your post was “because this kid doesn’t have talent so this is what they say”…? Because he appears to be a talented kid

Akron, Army, Ball State, Central MI. That's this offer list.
Ok and? It’s early June. The kid was linebacker MVP at a rivals camp and he’s 3 stars on the other site. He’s from a small town (Lower exposure) which can mean last to be discovered, rated and offered. It often pays to be the first big school to discover or offer a kid like this. Add the fact that the closest big ten school to his small town, Ohio state, probably would have been all over a kid like this under tressel but probably wouldn’t take him if he was a strong 5.7 RR kid.

no way you win position camp mvp at a rivals camp if all you have is Akron talent.

now.. what I think you’re thinking in terms of correct thoughts.: would be this kid were he from a big city powerhouse and come September his best offers are still the Mac. Then .. yes, I’d be right there with you.

I believe we all know what certain adjectives mean. I was once banned for being too realistic with my appraisals of haisel’s recruits. I bluntly asked why a big 10 team was wasting their time recruiting MAC caliber players! This players plays at level 2 of 7 in Ohio. He had a great 1 week camp somewhere. Does that mean he’s the greatest lb prospect there is? Spegal looked awesome against his high school competition. I would think with our past success and the portal, we would be recruiting much higher regarded prospects. I’d be more accepting if we signed this player later in our efforts than early in the process. I’d rather we swing and miss at the elite 4 star prospects before filling our roster with lower level 2/3 star players. My ban was lifted when people realized I was telling the truth about Hazell’s MAC recruits. Obviously Purdue coaches saw something that no other big 10 coach saw and they were all looking!

Reactions: bonefish1
I look at recruiting and I look at the process rather than the players. We jumped on this player that no other big 10 school seemed interested in. He obviously jumped at the chance to play for Purdue. My thoughts are Purdue could have waited a little longer, and he would still be there. To me this a player Brohm could have easily flipped down the road if he was unsuccessful securing a more elite athlete. Looking at his other offers, I have to believe if he verbaled with Marshall , he would have easily changed his mind in August or September if we tried to flip him. To me, you go after the big fish first. And then you flip the others later.

Ok and? It’s early June. The kid was linebacker MVP at a rivals camp and he’s 3 stars on the other site. He’s from a small town (Lower exposure) which can mean last to be discovered, rated and offered. It often pays to be the first big school to discover or offer a kid like this. Add the fact that the closest big ten school to his small town, Ohio state, probably would have been all over a kid like this under tressel but probably wouldn’t take him if he was a strong 5.7 RR kid.

no way you win position camp mvp at a rivals camp if all you have is Akron talent.

now.. what I think you’re thinking in terms of correct thoughts.: would be this kid were he from a big city powerhouse and come September his best offers are still the Mac. Then .. yes, I’d be right there with you.
With social media, video on demand, etc, there's no such thing as under the radar any more. If a kid's a player, people will know who he is.

Additionally the best recruiter is the player themselves. Look at our Iowa transfers. By getting commits from elite players early more elite players will take an interest. If your early commits are lower level then the elite prospects have a tendency to look elsewhere! Recruiting is both a strategy and a process! We need to look at recruiting as if we were an industrial engineer rather than a weight lifting jock

People have reason to be skeptical about Brohm's linebacker recruiting.

Since 2017 there is Barnes, Alexander, Graham (hybrid), and a couple tbd's.

To the "untrained eye" Davis looks like another Wahlberg/Brandt/Kreul.

With social media, video on demand, etc, there's no such thing as under the radar any more. If a kid's a player, people will know who he is.
Ok pretend that every kids people are equally social media saavy.. address the rest of what i said

Ok pretend that every kids people are equally social media saavy.. address the rest of what i said
There's a reason why he's only been offered by low level or MAC programs. And being the MVP of a camp where there's no tackling, live blocking, etc, doesn't mean that much.
Could he be a diamond in the rough? Sure, anyone can. But, apparently no other B10 or P5 coach believes that, which is pretty telling.

• Haha
Reactions: DAG10 and pboiler18
There's a reason why he's only been offered by low level or MAC programs. And being the MVP of a camp where there's no tackling, live blocking, etc, doesn't mean that much.
Could he be a diamond in the rough? Sure, anyone can. But, apparently no other B10 or P5 coach believes that, which is pretty telling.
No not in June there isn’t dude … it’s early .. is he George karlaftis.. no. But in a 25 man class he’s easily the kind of kid who could Still factor in to that 12-18 range that you still want after the portal has reduced average class size by 7. He will be 5.5-5.6 on rivals .. stop acting like he’s 5.3 lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT