ADVERTISEMENT

Big first June recruiting weekend. Do we get any verbals this weekend?

My daughter walked the Stanford DC from the main office down to the weight room at New Pal High School a few weeks ago. I can’t provide a link to prove it, but it happened.
That said, if PSU "checked him out" and did not offer, that also says something.

I as much as anyone hope that the kid is really good and has a fantastic career at Purdue, but, considering his offers it is certainly fair to be skeptical.

That said, if PSU "checked him out" and did not offer, that also says something.

I as much as anyone hope that the kid is really good and has a fantastic career at Purdue, but, considering his offers it is certainly fair to be skeptical.
Yeah genius .. it says he may not be PSU caliber but also probably isn’t a straight MAC kid either. It says he’s probably not a 5.8-6.1 rivals guy. But if penn state, stanford, Ohio state and Pitt were ALL out to see him (let’s not have you two implying it was just one school) it stands to reason that if he stayed in the process you probably see offers from the likes of Minnesota, Iowa etc.

go back and look at profiles of guys we took late in the process when we struck out on a bunch of guys.. players who only had Mac offers in October .. and I guarantee you penn state and Ohio state and Pitt didn’t all go into their school early on..

Reactions: Tommaker

Here’s an offer list and commit date that actually was what you two are acting like Davis is

The salary cap is a choice, and, unlike with professional sports, it is self-imposed here...personnel that dictates it is another matter.
By who? The schools don’t control anything. Now, what they can do is engage the donor dollars that have already been there to pay players. And they should. That’s what’s gonna lead to 3, 4, 5 million in NIL for football.

what Bobinski doesn’t have the power to do is to make people drop coin until we have 15-20 million.. it’s not his money.

Man, players blow up all the time. I can remember when Drue Tranquill committed to us then an offer from PSU and ND or Craig Young with the OSU offer. It happens all the time. It's those type of players that we just can't seem to keep committed.

Man, players blow up all the time. I can remember when Drue Tranquill committed to us then an offer from PSU and ND or Craig Young with the OSU offer. It happens all the time. It's those type of players that we just can't seem to keep committed.
People on KC are hoping Cincinnati and MSU don’t come for this kid

People on KC are hoping Cincinnati and MSU don’t come for this kid
why are you getting so emotional? All people are saying is that we should probably temper our enthusiasm and maybe expect a little more out of our recruiters than to beat a bunch of MAC or lower leverl teams for a player. When a player jumps at an offer immediately, that might also tell you that he thinks that's the best he's going to get and better take it before it goes away.

Check out this guy - best offer was Navy, walked on at Tennessee, made it on an NFL roster (Saints). You just never know. 5.4 on Rivals and <80 on 247.

Reactions: Tommaker
The salary cap is a choice, and, unlike with professional sports, it is self-imposed here...personnel that dictates it is another matter.
We don’t have the extra $13 million currently, and even if we did, that isn’t enough to pay everyone, as your stars will take up most of the cap, as in pro sports. You would still need to fill the bottom half of the roster with “free” players.

We don’t have the extra $13 million currently, and even if we did, that isn’t enough to pay everyone, as your stars will take up most of the cap, as in pro sports. You would still need to fill the bottom half of the roster with “free” players.
Is OSU filling the bottom half with "free" players? Because if $13m is not enough at Purdue, no chance it is enough there

And, just as with professional franchises, there indeed will be guys that are simply on the roster more or less...collecting a minimum if you will.

OSU does not have the extra $13m presently either...that is not the point...the point is that they will have it...so will other top programs...so could Purdue...OSU has determined that is what they need, and, as I said, they will get/have it.

Is OSU filling the bottom half with "free" players? Because if $13m is not enough at Purdue, no chance it is enough there

And, just as with professional franchises, there indeed will be guys that are simply on the roster more or less...collecting a minimum if you will.

OSU does not have the extra $13m presently either...that is not the point...the point is that they will have it...so will other top programs...so could Purdue...OSU has determined that is what they need, and, as I said, they will get/have it.
There’s no one whose decision it is to kick it up to 13-20 million and beyond. Do you get that? Do you get anything?

I’m with the people who will be mad if we don’t reroute donations to football to go to players.. but if that amount is say, 7 million, you can’t make donors give more. The only thing you can do as an athletic department is try to use more of your TV money and things like that (which CANNOT be paid to players) for internal expenses .. then encourage those donors who ALSO donate for things like Facilities and money to buy out coaches etc etc to take that money and give it to players.

Now, if Purdue doesn’t do that.. if they take donor money AND TV money etc and they are like “oh we are helpless to pay players with all this internal money”.. then yeah get mad. But you can’t get mad at Bobinski if donors give 6 million to players and not 20.. it’s not his money

Reactions: pboiler18
Obviously there are going to be exceptions, but you can't really on your diamond in the rough recruits to pan out very often.

But there are alot of recruits that are a "diamond in the rough" in June, that's why recruiting sites will keep updating their rankings for another 8 or 9 months for the 2023 class.

why are you getting so emotional? All people are saying is that we should probably temper our enthusiasm and maybe expect a little more out of our recruiters than to beat a bunch of MAC or lower leverl teams for a player. When a player jumps at an offer immediately, that might also tell you that he thinks that's the best he's going to get and better take it before it goes away.
Because you aren’t understanding basic shit …

if this kid was a guy who would be in your 19-25 range of past classes, a guy who you take just to fill a scholarship… because you whiffed on everyone else, id be right there with you. Those guys will have his offer list in November..

we have a kid like that who we took .. he’s on the team now. When he committed the thought was that he was too slow to factor at safety and not considered a guy who was likely to be powerful at LB. we had a scholarship and the thought IIRC was that maybe he’d find a way to one or the other or factor in to special teams.

YOU CANNOT TAKE that kid anymore.. at worst you’ll still be able to go get a Chris Jefferson with that scholarship come January, so why would you take that kid?

This kid to me is different. He’s probably more that 12-18 range that you still do take. He won camp MVP at a rivals camp and four programs that are either elite or nowhere near smalltown Ohio have been in to see him.

Now, you and the other guy are like there are two and ONLY TWO POSSIBILITIES! Either he’s only good enough for Akron or he is penn states absolute number one recruit.

No… if all schools are taking 2-3 linebackers and he’s number 8 for penn state, then it’s highly likely this summer you would have seen the Iowas and Minnesotas come along like us.

on the one hand, I’m not one of those who would shove subshine up everyone’s ass if this kid was the former kid I was talking about. But I’m also not gonna act like we recruit at MSU’s level, let alone bigger fish like OSU. Not every kid we get needs to be elite. And in fact, I thought Ohio state suffered vs us in 2018 for not having really any of the kind of kids tressel brought in. They got out toughed.

Pat Fitzgerald won a lot of games with classes full of kids like this. This kid does not have the makeup of a Dan bick or logan link.. I’m just telling you. If you don’t like it then we just disagree

Reactions: purduepat1969
But there are alot of recruits that are a "diamond in the rough" in June, that's why recruiting sites will keep updating their rankings for another 8 or 9 months for the 2023 class.
Exactly.. if this kid was sitting here looking like this in December but without knowledge that bigger programs had been in for a look and without the camp mvp.. I’d be kinda ticked .. but that’s not what this is..

Because you aren’t understanding basic shit …

if this kid was a guy who would be in your 19-25 range of past classes, a guy who you take just to fill a scholarship… because you whiffed on everyone else, id be right there with you. Those guys will have his offer list in November..

we have a kid like that who we took .. he’s on the team now. When he committed the thought was that he was too slow to factor at safety and not considered a guy who was likely to be powerful at LB. we had a scholarship and the thought IIRC was that maybe he’d find a way to one or the other or factor in to special teams.

YOU CANNOT TAKE that kid anymore.. at worst you’ll still be able to go get a Chris Jefferson with that scholarship come January, so why would you take that kid?

This kid to me is different. He’s probably more that 12-18 range that you still do take. He won camp MVP at a rivals camp and four programs that are either elite or nowhere near smalltown Ohio have been in to see him.

Now, you and the other guy are like there are two and ONLY TWO POSSIBILITIES! Either he’s only good enough for Akron or he is penn states absolute number one recruit.

No… if all schools are taking 2-3 linebackers and he’s number 8 for penn state, then it’s highly likely this summer you would have seen the Iowas and Minnesotas come along like us.

on the one hand, I’m not one of those who would shove subshine up everyone’s ass if this kid was the former kid I was talking about. But I’m also not gonna act like we recruit at MSU’s level, let alone bigger fish like OSU. Not every kid we get needs to be elite. And in fact, I thought Ohio state suffered vs us in 2018 for not having really any of the kind of kids tressel brought in. They got out toughed.

Pat Fitzgerald won a lot of games with classes full of kids like this. This kid does not have the makeup of a Dan bick or logan link.. I’m just telling you. If you don’t like it then we just disagree

Are you saying we should strive to be recruiting at a Northwestern level? And that we can't recruit at an MSU level?

I still don't understand why, if all these other P5 programs were in to see this kid, that we were the only one to offer?

Are you saying we should strive to be recruiting at a Northwestern level? And that we can't recruit at an MSU level?

I still don't understand why, if all these other P5 programs were in to see this kid, that we were the only one to offer?
Again I’m starting to feel like I’m talking to someone who is dumb as rocks..

I said Fitzgerald has won a lot of games with kids like this. How wet, I also said that this kid is likely lower third of our class. If brohm takes 16 kids like this, then yeah, I’ll be kinda PO’d… the one caveat to that is if it’s because a bunch of kids who would have normally come here DONT come because of NIL, then that’s not on Brohm.

we have not recruited like MSU because Michigan is a much better football state and they have Dan Gilbert. We aren’t going to recruit like them because they have Dan Gilbert. You can win a lot of games at Purdue without recruiting to MSUs level.

I think you not understanding that is a you think. HUGE area between not quite good enough to go to penn state and only good enough to go to Akron. NOW.. if Minnesota and Indiana and Iowa and Illinois had all been in to see him, and none of them offered, okay now you might have a point.

why don’t you let it play out and see how many more kids we get who are like this kid and how many more kids we get who are along the line of Berglund, Collins etc. if we take 6 kids like this, that’s too many. One.. I’m not ready to act like brohm can’t win games. He got 7 wins with friggin Gregory Phillips dude

Well, it just might be the case where he told them no, he liked Purdue and was going to Purdue and thanks for asking. Just sayin' that is a possibility you have overlooked.

Whatever war chest we come up with, OSU will always have much, much more. They are a much bigger school, with a much bigger alumni base, a much bigger fanbase, and are located in a metropolitan area, that happens to not have pro sports other than hockey.

So we will always need to find “deals”. We’re the A’s, they’re the Yankees.

I said Fitzgerald has won a lot of games with kids like this. How wet, I also said that this kid is likely lower third of our class. If brohm takes 16 kids like this, then yeah, I’ll be kinda PO’d… the one caveat to that is if it’s because a bunch of kids who would have normally come here DONT come because of NIL, then that’s not on Brohm.

we have not recruited like MSU because Michigan is a much better football state and they have Dan Gilbert. We aren’t going to recruit like them because they have Dan Gilbert. You can win a lot of games at Purdue without recruiting to MSUs level.

I think you not understanding that is a you think. HUGE area between not quite good enough to go to penn state and only good enough to go to Akron. NOW.. if Minnesota and Indiana and Iowa and Illinois had all been in to see him, and none of them offered, okay now you might have a point.

why don’t you let it play out and see how many more kids we get who are like this kid and how many more kids we get who are along the line of Berglund, Collins etc. if we take 6 kids like this, that’s too many. One.. I’m not ready to act like brohm can’t win games. He got 7 wins with friggin Gregory Phillips dude
PU and NU are nothing similar in football. Sure, NU had a run of success but that's faded they're back to what NU has always been in the B10 which is a both 1/3 team.
What you;re sayign is that Fitz has taken a bunch of MAC level players because he couldn't get B10 level players and won some games with them. I'd rather have a kid choose PU over other B10 teams than the MAC, but that's just me.

As for Michigan being a football state? What evidence do you have to support that? I get that IN isn't a hotbed of HS football talent, which is why we recruit a lot of players from out of state, ideally FL and TX.
MSU is in a very, very similar situation to Purdue, arguably tougher: You have two of the most storied programs in history each about 2.5 hrs away (UM/ND). You don't think that creates some recruiting problems?

Well, it just might be the case where he told them no, he liked Purdue and was going to Purdue and thanks for asking. Just sayin' that is a possibility you have overlooked.
Didn't overlook it. Thought about it for about .005 of a second and realized that most likely wasn't the case.

Although bone has shown he can be a smart guy, when it comes to things like this, he has moments where rocks are indeed smarter.

I'm in the camp of giving Brohm the benefit of the doubt on this. We have no idea how well this kid will play at a P5 level. And we don't know what other recruits he'll end up with. Falling on the sword like bone is trying to do with this guy only puts him at rock level in the end...

Reactions: Inspector100
PU and NU are nothing similar in football. Sure, NU had a run of success but that's faded they're back to what NU has always been in the B10 which is a both 1/3 team.
What you;re sayign is that Fitz has taken a bunch of MAC level players because he couldn't get B10 level players and won some games with them. I'd rather have a kid choose PU over other B10 teams than the MAC, but that's just me.

As for Michigan being a football state? What evidence do you have to support that? I get that IN isn't a hotbed of HS football talent, which is why we recruit a lot of players from out of state, ideally FL and TX.
MSU is in a very, very similar situation to Purdue, arguably tougher: You have two of the most storied programs in history each about 2.5 hrs away (UM/ND). You don't think that creates some recruiting problems?
When did I say they’re currently alike. I was referring to fitz’s winning days. He won with a lot of hard nosed 5.5-5.6 RR guys. He took classes full of them. That will not be all brohm gets. If this kid stayed in the process he would have gotten big ten offers.

you really need me to explain to you how Michigan is a better football state than Indiana? You asked for evidence, then we’re the kind of dumb **** who admits in the next sentence that Indiana isn’t a football hotbed. I’m almost at a kiss for words.

last year Indiana had 10 four stars and 17 3 stars. Michigan had a 5 star, 8 four stars and their list ended at 40 with another 31 three stars. The 40th ranked recruit committed to Washington… stooge.

No, I don’t. Michigan state recruits quite well and always has. And now they have Dan Gilbert in NIL time. I don’t think Purdue should be way behind MSU, but never should it be considered to be a failure if they’re behind

No not in June there isn’t dude … it’s early .. is he George karlaftis.. no. But in a 25 man class he’s easily the kind of kid who could Still factor in to that 12-18 range that you still want after the portal has reduced average class size by 7. He will be 5.5-5.6 on rivals .. stop acting like he’s 5.3 lol
Exact reason I hit “ignore” on bonefish…

Reactions: pboiler18
When did I say they’re currently alike. I was referring to fitz’s winning days. He won with a lot of hard nosed 5.5-5.6 RR guys. He took classes full of them. That will not be all brohm gets. If this kid stayed in the process he would have gotten big ten offers.

you really need me to explain to you how Michigan is a better football state than Indiana? You asked for evidence, then we’re the kind of dumb **** who admits in the next sentence that Indiana isn’t a football hotbed. I’m almost at a kiss for words.

last year Indiana had 10 four stars and 17 3 stars. Michigan had a 5 star, 8 four stars and their list ended at 40 with another 31 three stars. The 40th ranked recruit committed to Washington… stooge.

No, I don’t. Michigan state recruits quite well and always has. And now they have Dan Gilbert in NIL time. I don’t think Purdue should be way behind MSU, but never should it be considered to be a failure if they’re behind
I don't think anyone considers MI a hotbed of recruiting talent.

Like.. are you serious? Michigan has always had a lot of talent and more than Indiana. Who is anyone? No one thinks that Michigan doesn’t have more talent than Indiana by a wide margin.
I don't disagree. MI has more talent than IN, but it's not FL or TX.

Yeah the 2 states who produce more NFL talent than any other states... no Michigan is not Florida or Texas, only California can come close to those 2 in terms of football talent.

Michigan, looks to be about 10th in NFL players by state with 49ish players. Indiana has about 17. So Michigan is a significantly better state for football talent than Indiana.

It’s not, but more is why they recruit that much better .. as well as having a NBA owner billionaire who was already giving them ridiculous donations before NIL.

im not saying pre NIL Michigan state should be blowing us out as in the difference between Texas and Indiana. I’m saying they should have been recruiting better than us by the margin of Michigan vs Indiana. As in 40 P5 players vs 27

Whatever war chest we come up with, OSU will always have much, much more. They are a much bigger school, with a much bigger alumni base, a much bigger fanbase, and are located in a metropolitan area, that happens to not have pro sports other than hockey.

So we will always need to find “deals”. We’re the A’s, they’re the Yankees.
On the surface, I agree...but, $13m is not a staggering number of any sort.

The A's now are different from the A's in the 90s...and, fortunately for them, there still exist means by which to compete...those don't necessarily exist in college sports or even at Purdue unfortunately.

I know this...with the least amount of sports to support, and, with what appears to be the most massive of network contract agreements forthcoming, while Purdue may not have what some premier programs have to work with, it has way more than enough to use if it wishes to put itself ahead of a ton of other schools...and, certainly it has an alumni base (and athletic one specifically) to draw upon as well...and that it absolutely should be drawing upon.

Last edited:
On the surface, I agree...but, $13m is not a staggering number of any sort.

The A's now are different from the A's in the 90s...and, fortunately for them, there still exist means by which to compete...those don't necessarily in college sports or even at Purdue unfortunately.

I know this...with the least amount of sports to support, and, with what appears to be the most massive of network contract agreements forthcoming, while Purdue may not have what some premier programs have to work with, it has way more than enough to use if it wishes to put itself of a ton of other schools...and, certainly it has an alumni base (and athletic one specifically) to draw upon as well...and that it absolutely should be drawing upon.
The money has to come from outside the school .. Purdue can’t use tv money. It can coordinate alumni to do what it (Purdue) cant, but if they wanna give four, Purdue can’t make anyone give 13..

It

cannot

affect

the

outside

money

What don’t you get

ADVERTISEMENT