ADVERTISEMENT

Big Dickinson

To insinuate Romeo Langford wasn't a good college player year is simply dumb. IU wasn't very good last year not because of Romeo, but the players surrounded by Romeo. Saying Romeo didn't live up to individual expectations because his team wasn't that good is also dumb. Nobody has been drafted based on how well their team performed in the NCAAT or in the Euro Leagues. It's about the individual talent level and potential. If it were the case Kyle Guy goes in the first round as does Bryce Brown. Players from bad college teams get drafted all the time.

Are you incredibly pessimistic in your outlook for IU this coming season? I’m not sure how you wouldn’t be given your outlook of Romeo and the rest of the team last season.

Are you incredibly pessimistic in your outlook for IU this coming season? I’m not sure how you wouldn’t be given your outlook of Romeo and the rest of the team last season.

Actually the opposite. IU's playing for once with predominantly Archie-recruited players and finally passed the bell curve for learning a completely new system. IU for once has legitimate front court size and depth and a good and experienced nucleus coming back in the backcourt. Am a little concerned about backcourt depth if Hunter isn't able to go, but nonetheless IU should be a much more balanced team the coming year.

Actually the opposite. IU's playing for once with predominantly Archie-recruited players and finally passed the bell curve for learning a completely new system. IU for once has legitimate front court size and depth and a good and experienced nucleus coming back in the backcourt. Am a little concerned about backcourt depth if Hunter isn't able to go, but nonetheless IU should be a much more balanced team the coming year.
I heard B1G champs and FF about last year's roster as well. I think your board is calling for you...

. He also hasn't had an affair with a cheerleader, so that's something Painter has on him...

Painter never had a affair with a cheerleader, that's some B.S you I.U fans made up. His first wife was a cheerleader and he got divorce, that's about it. I would not expect someone with your mentality to know that, in fact I have not see anything intelligent come from you at all.

Reactions: Schnelk
I heard B1G champs and FF about last year's roster as well. I think your board is calling for you...

Wait, did my post state that I believed IU was going to be B10 champs or get to the F4? Or did I simply say I wasn’t pessimistic about next years outlook?

Help me understand. Your argument is that IU sucked last year because even though Romeo played like a top 10 player, everyone around him was bad. You also believe that even though Romeo, their one good player, leaves, the team gets better?

I actually agree that IU has a chance to be better this year, just not sure how you reconcile those views.

Help me understand. Your argument is that IU sucked last year because even though Romeo played like a top 10 player, everyone around him was bad. You also believe that even though Romeo, their one good player, leaves, the team gets better?

I actually agree that IU has a chance to be better this year, just not sure how you reconcile those views.

Easy. I already laid it out.

1) The team is a year older
2) The team is past the learning curve for a completely new system
3) IU has legitimate size and depth in the front court. No longer is 6’6 Justin Smith starting at PF and guys like Joey Brunk and Race Thompson are immediate upgrades off the bench over Fitzner, Moore, and Forrester who are no longer on the roster.

Should IU avoid timely and costly injuries like last year (that’s never a guarantee), IU should be a much more balanced and experienced team despite losing Romeo and Juwan. May not agree with me and that’s well within you’re God-given right but you asked for my outlook and there you have it for a second time.

No there isn't. Ben Simmons and Markelle Fultz played on absolutely dreadful teams and were still drafted #1 overall. How your college team performs has absolutely ZERO bearing on your draft position. I repeat, ZERO. It's all about the individual and the long term potential each prospect has.

I don't think I'd say it's a "strong" correlation, but marketability does matter to an extent. Half of the NBA teams have a losing record....they make money on having "name" players.

Name players often develop or come from successful teams.

Obviously being on a good team alone doesn't make you an NBA draft prospect.

I'd also say there's a difference between someone who could be drafted out of high school or name players going into college (Ben Simmons was one), and players that become more household names in college. Would a Jimmer Fredette be drafted on a 10 win team that never was on TV? BYU was a good team when he was there that made the NCAA tournament...which led to them being on TV. His freshman year, BYU won their conference tournament and went to the NCAA Tourney...he scored 7 points a game. He became a "name" in the NCAA Tournament where BYU had unprecedented success...and of course he also dominated. But that platform certainly helped...

So what you’re saying is iu did a terrible job of developing him (and other guys that you’re excusing for being passed over by a younger recruit)? Keep digging your own grave on this one.

How did IU do a terrible job of developing Tom Coverdale, Jordan Hulls, etc? Tom Coverdale was a 3 year starter who played on a national championship team. Jordan Hulls was a 4 year starter who is the schools all-time 3 pointer leader that played on a team that was ranked #1 nearly his entire senior year. You are myopically dumb.
And where are they now? Not sure where in your mindless ranting you answered you own question. You questioned Painter’s ability to develop players. The fact of the matter is, no one does less with more than iu. There is zero debate on that. And at least Hulls got a sweet 16 ring out of that #1 ranking

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Easy. I already laid it out.

1) The team is a year older
2) The team is past the learning curve for a completely new system
3) IU has legitimate size and depth in the front court. No longer is 6’6 Justin Smith starting at PF and guys like Joey Brunk and Race Thompson are immediate upgrades off the bench over Fitzner, Moore, and Forrester who are no longer on the roster.

Should IU avoid timely and costly injuries like last year (that’s never a guarantee), IU should be a much more balanced and experienced team despite losing Romeo and Juwan. May not agree with me and that’s well within you’re God-given right but you asked for my outlook and there you have it for a second time.

I must have thought you were kidding the first time The beauty of a new season, hope springs eternal.

And where are they now? Not sure where in your mindless ranting you answered you own question. You questioned Painter’s ability to develop players. The fact of the matter is, no one does less with more than iu. There is zero debate on that. And at least Hulls got a sweet 16 ring out of that #1 ranking

Never once said anything about Psinter’s ability to develop players. Try again

What has your coach done so for at IU? CMP has his one slip up and he has learned from his mistakes. If you really believe IU is close to Purdue right now...I want some that stuff. Stop saying when he gets his kids or recruits. He became their coach when he took the position and hardly played his own recruits. I never heard that out of Brohm's mouth when he smacked Allen around with Hazell's kids.
Since starting at Purdue Brohm has a .500 record... yet you guys are laughably paying him TOP 10 money. Archie and Painter have now each been to the Elite 8. Archie has never finished last in the big ten though. He also hasn't had an affair with a cheerleader, so that's something Painter has on him...
But Painter can ride all of the roller coasters at holiday world, so he has that on Lil A

Neither could L'il Arch.

Get him a high chair.

Or a booster seat.

Matt Painter wasn’t half the basketball player that Archie was. Nor did it take Archie Miller 15 years to get past the S16. Nor has Archie ever lead a team to a last place conference. You’re right SOOOO many programs are beating down Matt Painter’s door for his services.

Does me answering a question that you already know that answer to in anyway define IU as a college basketball program as a whole? IU not making the tournament last year is about as irrelevant as Purdue finishing dead last in the conference in 2013. Who cares? More importantly it has nothing to do with Delray Brooks transferring out of IU 35 years ago. Get new material, please.
Heh heh. Purdue had no where near the talent IU had. But keep trying to hold yourself up to your big brother, little sis.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
Matt Painter wasn’t half the basketball player that Archie was. Nor did it take Archie Miller 15 years to get past the S16. Nor has Archie ever lead a team to a last place conference. You’re right SOOOO many programs are beating down Matt Painter’s door for his services.
Calm down little sister. You're spitting and gnashing. And you are displaying how low expectations have fallen for a once proud program.

If this is what your arguments have come to, yeah it's time you ran along.

Dude, give it up. Ain't nobody beating down Li'l Arch's door. In fact, he was... what?... 4th or 5th choice.

My point exactly, thanks for confirming. Saying Romeo didn't live up to expectation (his high school ranking) because IU as a team didn't play well is exactly what I'm talking about.

At the beginning of the season, IU fans were over here touting Romeo because NBA GMs had him as a Top 5 pick in the draft. That is a fact.

He was drafted 14th. Now 14>5, so that means that he dropped over the season. Try to spin it anyway you want but that is viewed as under-performing.

Reactions: Inspector100
At the beginning of the season, IU fans were over here touting Romeo because NBA GMs had him as a Top 5 pick in the draft. That is a fact.

He was drafted 14th. Now 14>5, so that means that he dropped over the season. Try to spin it anyway you want but that is viewed as under-performing.

RJ Barrett was the projected #1 pick and got drafted third. Did he underperform as well because he didn't get drafted in the slot he was projected to go before he ever played a college game? Get a new argument.

Barrett was surpassed by Zion, a teammate. Barrett was the more highly rated recruit at that school. So yes, he did underperform.

If you want to say that instead Barrett was over-rated, I could agree with that. In reality, it is a choice between being surpassed and under-performing your ranking or saying that your ranking was inflated. It is a one or the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inspector100
In yet ANOTHER attempt to keep this thread on point (in other words, go away Hoosiers, you're not in Dickinson's final 7 anyway), Corey Evans talked about Hunter in his twitter mailbag today. He kinda talked about most of the finalists, but said he's still on him coming to Purdue. Good things to say about Michigan and Louisville as well.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...ay-indiana-hunter-dickinson-tennessee-memphis

In yet ANOTHER attempt to keep this thread on point (in other words, go away Hoosiers, you're not in Dickinson's final 7 anyway), Corey Evans talked about Hunter in his twitter mailbag today. He kinda talked about most of the finalists, but said he's still on him coming to Purdue. Good things to say about Michigan and Louisville as well.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...ay-indiana-hunter-dickinson-tennessee-memphis
I know UNC complicated things a little, but I still think it is really between us and UL. I am glad to see he is a likely November signee, so we don’t have to wait until the Spring period, and do not have the ability to get someone else in his place.

You're equating individual performance with team expectations. From an individual standpoint, Romeo produced as advertised. He averaged 17 points a game on nearly 50% shooting. How many other P5 freshman averaged that many points a game? The answer is 2. Just because you're the 6th ranked player coming out of high school doesn't mean you should be the 6th player drafted the year you're eligible. That isn't how it works. If we're going by that standard then Caleb Swanigan didn't live up to expectations because he was the 19th ranked player coming out of high school and it took him 2 years to get drafted and he got drafted in the 20s. Of course you would never see me or anyone else try and argue that because that isn't how it works. Your high school ranking has nothing to do with your draft status.

James Blackmon Jr averaged 14 ppg as a true freshman and 16 a game for his career all while shooting 40+% from 3. He was every bit as advertised, just because he wasn't drafted doesn't mean he didn't live up to his college expectations. He didn't get drafted because he doesn't have the size or athleticism to be an off-ball guard in the NBA, as the NBA isn't for everybody. Same goes for Thomas Bryant.

Dakota Mathias got signed in the NBA to be an off-ball guard, is he more athletic than JBJ? I wonder how many kids ranked above DM from highschool are still under contract with the NBA....maybe under performance and level of development are simply just relative to the program you play for.....regardless, you should just be content with your program and get a hobby, coming here can't be good for your self-esteem.

Reactions: BBG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT