ADVERTISEMENT

Big Dickinson

If he wants the ball every time down the court he would pick Purdue. Not sure he would get that sort of service at any other school. We have the data to prove it. That doesn’t always mean they see it or are convinced that way though. We are getting wayyyyyy more looks from high end recruits recently so either way that’s not bad.

We don’t pay nearly well enough to compete with UL and UNC for recruits. We just don’t budget for those $$$$ handshakes
Let’s not start with the excuses. There is no reason to think he is a shady recruit. I obviously hope he picks Purdue, but if he chooses to play for a more traditional “blue blood”, so be it. Each program has its pros and cons. We don’t need to preemptively start the claims that there was foul play if he goes to one of those schools.

We have a history now with developing big men, and he knows that. Painter has been very upfront on how he would use him, and Hunter knows that Painter likes to make our big men the center (no pun intended) of the flow of the offense. He mentioned that Purdue has been there from day 1 and we have emphasized him being our top priority. I am hoping he really thinks about that statement.

However, at the end of the day, he has to go with his heart. Let's just hope at the end of the day that he sees that we can provide and offer what he is asking for.

You don't have a history of developing NBA quality big men and you have the statistics to prove it if you look at them.
The empathize on big men is correct for sure. If I'm a big and that team likes to prioritize the center position....then the rest is up to me. Btw what does your team develop? Just curious

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Shooting guards and small forwards primarily. Yogi is doing pretty well also.

Vic is an All Star also.
Lol...crean got killed for recruited him and you guys hated crean. What does that say about your fan base? As well how many 5* recruits did IU land and are all stars? I guess that tells you what and what you don't develop. As well Moore is a better player than Yogi and Yogi was a 5*.

You forgot about Miller. So know about your stats before you start the conversation. See ya later!

Reactions: pboiler18
Based upon my reading of his one sentence quotes about each of the seven remaining schools on his list, it doesn't look good for Purdue. Reading between the lines, I can hear him saying, "Purdue exists". That's about it. Not very enthusiastic about the program or school.

Keep in mind, I am sometimes actually right.

CoBo

Reactions: Roeder
He developed to be a major disappointment in college, but it was the finger for that though.

iu

Based upon my reading of his one sentence quotes about each of the seven remaining schools on his list, it doesn't look good for Purdue. Reading between the lines, I can hear him saying, "Purdue exists". That's about it. Not very enthusiastic about the program or school.

CoBo

Yep, he mentions the head coaches of the other schools and not CMP. We’ll see where he and Kalkbrenner schedule their official visits. We might just go for another grad transfer and save the scholarship for 2021 which looks stacked especially in Indiana and neighboring states if we don’t grab a big this year.

Reactions: ChuckJr

CoBo

I try not to read too much into these things, but this linked article below is the 2nd one I've read that sounds meh on Purdue. Hopefully he's trying to not show his cards, but at the end of the day UNC is UNC and the race for him changed when they entered IMO.

Would still love to get him but the barrel is not empty with Kalkbrenner or Carlson still available in 2020 or banking extra scholly for loaded 2021 class (If 2021 gets bumped to 3 spots, I think you see offers to Goode and Konieczny go out right away too).

https://stockrisers.com/2019/07/27/five-star-hunter-dickinson-down-to-seven-breaks-down-finalists/

Reactions: TX4GB
Let’s not start with the excuses. There is no reason to think he is a shady recruit. I obviously hope he picks Purdue, but if he chooses to play for a more traditional “blue blood”, so be it. Each program has its pros and cons. We don’t need to preemptively start the claims that there was foul play if he goes to one of those schools.
I was just joking of course. No need to take the comment too seriously. After all, neither school has ever cheated recruiting or with student academics, right?

Last edited:
OG was a 3 star and was a starter as a rookie in the NBA. Caleb Swanigan was a 5* and is about out of the league. It would be laughable for you to suggest Purdue players have had more success in the NBA than IU players.
Good point made for sure. But I would rather have a team consistently in the top 10-15 in the country and playing Virginia for a spot in the Final Four than Purdue players doing well in the NBA. Go Boilers!

Reactions: Schnelk
OG was a 3 star and was a starter as a rookie in the NBA. Caleb Swanigan was a 5* and is about out of the league. It would be laughable for you to suggest Purdue players have had more success in the NBA than IU players.
And how many 5* has IU had over the last 10 years. How are all of those guys doing and what improvement did IU do for them? Also, you hated Crean probably? He is no longer coaching that debacle of a program.

I guess better yet what did your program do while they were in your program? Talent eventually will lead you to the NBA but your coach will win games.

So you are bragging about the accomplishments of the weird coach the fan base had fired? And you claim you have credibility? LOL.

Reactions: Schnelk
Occasionally we have visiting IU fans who provide good, informative information here. Usually though, we get posts that are embarrassingly representative of the fanbase. You are in the second group, like the IU fan (Eunuch?) who came here to declare "5<0".

CoBo

I'm sure this thread will go off the rails but I didnt feel like the quote was great either. I've given up on the tea leaves game though.
The last football committee said he picked Purdue because it was there from the start.

To date, Matt Painter has recruited at a solid, but not elite level. Players with elite athleticism and high skill levels in hs end up as top 25 recruits (the type of players MP has not typically landed).

While Matt can’t point to a long line of players with NBA success, that’s a function of the type of player her recruits. He has made a conscious decision to recruit skill over elite athleticism when having to chop se between the two. This has produced very good college for payers who inherently have limited NBA potential.

OG is a really nice example of a lower rated IU recruit who outperformed his hs ranking to be successful in the NBA. The list of IU players who underperformed expectations is much longer.

I can't resist. Crean developed those guys. What has Archie done? Nothing (except drop Romeos draft stock 10-15 spots).

How do you get drafted 14th yet fall 15 spots? Admittedly I'm not a huge math guy but this one isn't quite registering. I think most mock drafts had Romeo going anywhere from 6-10 heading into his freshman year depending on what site you looked at. He did fall some but was still drafted in the lottery and I don't see where anybody can complain about that.

again.....

Mike Davis
Kelvin Sanctions
Clappy the clown Crean
Now, Li'l Arch

Davis took IU to a national title but was rightfully fired
Sampson was a mistake from the start
Crean was held onto a year or two too long

Jury is still way to out on Archie at this stage. Was a very good coach at Dayton still getting his guys in place. There's nothing in my opinion that suggests he will fail at IU once he gets his players in place with his system implemented.

Are you serious? You're supposed to be the IU fan, have you just blocked these out?

Here's the Peegs recruiting site: https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Season/2018-Basketball/Targets/

2018 - Romeo ranked 7th Nationally out of HS, fell short of expectations in his one year in college, drafted in the teens
2016 and 2017 - no highly ranked recruits
2015 - Thomas Bryant ranked 20th out of HS, undistinguished college career, drafted 42nd
2014 - James Blackmon ranked 20th out of HS, uneven college career, undrafted

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT