ADVERTISEMENT

BIG 12 is hoping to expand

PaBoiler78

All-American
Jan 18, 2002
read an article yesterday on Yahoo Sports that the BIG 12 wants to expand, and that Nebraska wants to jump ship and be included in this, what do you guys think of this idea?

When you say "Nebraska" wants to jump ship, who exactly is "Nebraska" referring to? A group of fans who long for the old Big 8 when Nebraska was a national power year in and year out?

The Big 12 has been interviewing teams for expansion and the list that was made public wasn't that impressive. Basically a bunch of MAC and AAC teams. Now I'm not saying they couldn't be pursuing Nebraska but I can't see how they have anything real to offer. They can't offer anything more than when Nebraska left them to begin with and probably less since Colorado, Missouri, and A&M are gone now too.

When you say "Nebraska" wants to jump ship, who exactly is "Nebraska" referring to? A group of fans who long for the old Big 8 when Nebraska was a national power year in and year out?

The Big 12 has been interviewing teams for expansion and the list that was made public wasn't that impressive. Basically a bunch of MAC and AAC teams. Now I'm not saying they couldn't be pursuing Nebraska but I can't see how they have anything real to offer. They can't offer anything more than when Nebraska left them to begin with and probably less since Colorado, Missouri, and A&M are gone now too.

There is absolutely no chance they will beat OSU for a conference championship on a consistent basis. They might beat UT on a semi-consistent basis. Athletically, i get it. Academically, pure stupidity.

There is absolutely no chance they will beat OSU for a conference championship on a consistent basis. They might beat UT on a semi-consistent basis. Athletically, i get it. Academically, pure stupidity.

Financial suicide.

B12 is dead. They just don't realize it. There's not a P5 school who would consider joining their conference.

UT/OU have exit strategies in place. I will bet they don't make it anywhere close to the expiration of the GOR rights. There was noise on Twitter earlier this week that B12 already knows they're gone and is in full crisis mode.

I kind of hope they expand in the short term.

If not and it disbands, I feel it can initiate that ultimate realignment and separation from the ncaa completely...
In that scenario, it would not seem to bode well for low commitment underperformers like Purdue, Kansas, wake, Iowa St, etc

If the B1G conference added two teams from the Big 12...who would you ideally like to add?

Texas has to be the first option but adding Oklahoma would be incredible (adds instant credibility to the West and then push Purdue and NU/Illinois to the East. The issue with that is that I am not sure schools would want to split from the state ties of UT/Texas Tech (less tie here) and OU/Okie St. (probably tied together).

Texas and Kansas
I think those are the most likely. OU has a shot, particularly if they improve academics. They won't get into the AAU anytime soon but as long as they're close to Nebraska, they could still get in. No other school has a prayer of landing a B1G invite; I doubt any other school would land in a P5 conference. Hence the panic buttons being hit everywhere.

Texas and Kansas
I think those are the most likely. OU has a shot, particularly if they improve academics. They won't get into the AAU anytime soon but as long as they're close to Nebraska, they could still get in. No other school has a prayer of landing a B1G invite; I doubt any other school would land in a P5 conference. Hence the panic buttons being hit everywhere.
Would Texas give up their TV network?

Maybe MOST of the Big 12 hopes to expand but the reality is that Bowlsby says an extension of the GOR is needed if they expand, and Texas and OU will not sign an exstension of the GOR under any circumstances. Thus the B12 will not expand.

Would Texas give up their TV network?

Good question. I'm not sure how long is left on that but IIRC it was a 25 year deal at the start of it. My understanding is that this has been a huge failure for ESPN so they won't be able to do that again on their own.

I would think ESPN would be agreeable to some sort of arrangement to bring it under the Big Ten umbrella. But would Texas?

About the LHN Network:

It is doomed to fail because it is banking on itself, while the B1G Network will continue to grow as the institutions and the conference continue to grow together.

from www.expressnews.com: 'Though LHN was a financial windfall for the university, the network has lost money for five consecutive years, according to a financial study this year by SNL Kagan.'

It continues on: 'According to its contract with the university, ESPN’s payments to Texas started at $10,980,000 per year, increasing by 3 percent annually until 2031, or an average of just under $15 million each year.'

We all know the massive numbers that even Purdue is getting from the B1G Network (reported it is roughly $32.4 million for established members), and that number is about to skyrocket. Imagine the projected numbers if you added a Texas and Kansas in to the conference. The numbers could be in to the $50 million range for each school. That alone would be of interest to Texas to join the B1G. If the conference could finally convince Notre Dame to give up its' partial affiliation to the ACC, the numbers would start to creep in to the tune of $60 million per year (IMO).

Good question. I'm not sure how long is left on that but IIRC it was a 25 year deal at the start of it. My understanding is that this has been a huge failure for ESPN so they won't be able to do that again on their own.

I would think ESPN would be agreeable to some sort of arrangement to bring it under the Big Ten umbrella. But would Texas?
I think if you expanded the BtN into a regional model like the PAC 10, it might work. But as others have mentioned, UT may give it up for BTN money anyway.

Best additions for TV revenue are ND and Texas. Best to balance the B1G east-west are OU and Texas.

The ACC's Swofford claims that ND has signed a GOR until 2036 AND that if ND joins a conference between now and then, it must be the ACC. Thing is, that "contract' has never been made public and not one official at ND - president, AD, football coach, whatever - has ever confirmed it. That doesn't mean it isn't true but then again if it is true, why not release the GOR and the ACC's contract with ND so that we can all read it for ourselves?

When ND was in the Big East, commish Mike Tranghese said again and again that ND must pay the same $5 million exit fee as all other members. When ND bolted, they didn't pay a dime.

Another interesting B1G expansion candidate is Colorado. Colorado's revenue from the Pac-12 Network has been a train wreck and the Buffs athletic dept is swimming in red ink (links). During that same time frame the BTN and B1G TV payouts are going gangbusters.

It would be great to add the Denver TV market to the BTN. It's another hockey school. They're AAU and they were Nebraska's #2 football r|val for many years. As a member of the B1G West, their average travel distance to conference opponents would be reduced.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3693065-155/scott-d-pierce-fans-out-of

http://www.dailycamera.com/cu-colle...lorado-athletics-facing-5-6-million-shortfall

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT