ADVERTISEMENT

Biden wants to pay illegal immigrants $450,000 each

YouSayPotato

True Freshman
Jun 4, 2021

U.S. in Talks to Pay Hundreds of Millions to Families Separated at Border​

Government is considering payments of $450,000 per person affected by Trump administration’s zero-tolerance policy in 2018​

im-425244

Occupants at Casa Padre, an immigrant shelter in Brownsville, Texas, for unaccompanied minors including children separated from their parents, in June 2018.​

PHOTO: ACF/HHS VIA REUTERS
By
Michelle Hackman
Aruna Viswanatha
and
Sadie Gurman
Updated Oct. 28, 2021 6:03 pm ET

WASHINGTON—The Biden administration is in talks to offer immigrant families that were separated during the Trump administration around $450,000 a person in compensation, according to people familiar with the matter, as several agencies work to resolve lawsuits filed on behalf of parents and children who say the government subjected them to lasting psychological trauma.
The U.S. Departments of Justice, Homeland Security, and Health and Human Services are considering payments that could amount to close to $1 million a family, though the final numbers could shift, the people familiar with the matter said. Most of the families that crossed the border illegally from Mexico to seek asylum in the U.S. included one parent and one child, the people said. Many families would likely get smaller payouts, depending on their circumstances, the people said.
The American Civil Liberties Union, which represents families in one of the lawsuits, has identified about 5,500 children separated at the border over the course of the Trump administration, citing figures provided to it by the government. The number of families eligible under the potential settlement is expected to be smaller, the people said, as government officials aren’t sure how many will come forward. Around 940 claims have so far been filed by the families, the people said.
The total potential payout could be $1 billion or more.

Any liberal or democrat, including those on this board, who would support this idea are complete and utter dumbasses. They should turn in their Purdue degree because I don’t want to be associated with anyone with such a high degree of stupidity.

Government is considering payments of $450,000 per person affected by Trump administration’s zero-tolerance policy in 2018​

im-425244

Occupants at Casa Padre, an immigrant shelter in Brownsville, Texas, for unaccompanied minors including children separated from their parents, in June 2018.​

By
Michelle Hackman
Aruna Viswanatha
and
Sadie Gurman

WASHINGTON—The Biden administration is in talks to offer immigrant families that were separated during the Trump administration around $450,000 a person in compensation, according to people familiar with the matter, as several agencies work to resolve lawsuits filed on behalf of parents and children who say the government subjected them to lasting psychological trauma.
The U.S. Departments of Justice, Homeland Security, and Health and Human Services are considering payments that could amount to close to $1 million a family, though the final numbers could shift, the people familiar with the matter said. Most of the families that crossed the border illegally from Mexico to seek asylum in the U.S. included one parent and one child, the people said. Many families would likely get smaller payouts, depending on their circumstances, the people said.
The American Civil Liberties Union, which represents families in one of the lawsuits, has identified about 5,500 children separated at the border over the course of the Trump administration, citing figures provided to it by the government. The number of families eligible under the potential settlement is expected to be smaller, the people said, as government officials aren’t sure how many will come forward. Around 940 claims have so far been filed by the families, the people said.

Didn't Pres O have the same border rules of seperation as Trump?

How would this even be doccumented?

In any case this is nuts. What absolutely idiotic idea can these woke DEM-witted folks come up with next? 🤣

I don't understand. The title seems to say we are just going to give them the money. But the article says the money is to settle lawsuits brought against the government for the child separation policy.......which Biden rescinded. Everybody seems to be ignoring that part.

I don't know if the amount is more or less than what would be ordered to be paid by the court if the government lost the case.

I can't see this administration fighting the lawsuits in court given that the trump administration itself halted the policy.......and the facts of the case seem clear.

I assume all the posters in this thread believe the government should go to court and fight.

I don't understand. The title seems to say we are just going to give them the money. But the article says the money is to settle lawsuits brought against the government for the child separation policy.......which Biden rescinded. Everybody seems to be ignoring that part.

I don't know if the amount is more or less than what would be ordered to be paid by the court if the government lost the case.

I can't see this administration fighting the lawsuits in court given that the trump administration itself halted the policy.......and the facts of the case seem clear.

I assume all the posters in this thread believe the government should go to court and fight.

Yeah, if reprehensible acts were commuted then punitive settlements are appropriate as they are a means to correct the actions. Is this any different than what would happen if somebody in jail was abused by the guards or management of the prison?

Yeah, if reprehensible acts were commuted then punitive settlements are appropriate as they are a means to correct the actions. Is this any different than what would happen if somebody in jail was abused by the guards or management of the prison?
You and Bob are missing the main point. Why is the US government considering paying illegals $450K per family when these people broke the law to come here in the first place? They came here illegally. You’re in favor of paying these people 9 years worth of the US average income for breaking the law? WTH!

You and Bob are missing the main point. Why is the US government considering paying illegals $450K per family when these people broke the law to come here in the first place? They came here illegally. You’re in favor of paying these people 9 years worth of the US average income for breaking the law? WTH!

People wronged by the gov in prison can sue for mistreatment. Don’t see what the confusion is. Just because somebody breaks a law doesn’t mean you can do whatever you want to them.

People wronged by the gov in prison can sue for mistreatment. Don’t see what the confusion is. Just because somebody breaks a law doesn’t mean you can do whatever you want to them.
So no distinction between a U.S citizen and non U.S citizen that came her illegally if all other facts of the case are the same?

So no distinction between a U.S citizen and non U.S citizen that came her illegally if all other facts of the case are the same?

I’m not a lawyer, but I’m sure lawyers will get to the bottom of this. But appealing to my sense of humanity I would say you can’t just do whatever you want to somebody no matter if they are a citizen or not.

Looks like you indirectly figured out what PART of this is about. A big payoff to the Dem lawyers handling these cases. Just another corrupt chapter in Govt.....brought to you by your tax dollars.

Okeydokey. How are we supposed to administer law then? Just go all judge dredd on anybody you want? Do you have an alternative system you would like to use?

I’m not a lawyer, but I’m sure lawyers will get to the bottom of this. But appealing to my sense of humanity I would say you can’t just do whatever you want to somebody no matter if they are a citizen or not.
But the govt didn’t “just do whatever” it wanted here, they detained illegals caught crossing the border and then put the children in holding facilities. This happens thousands of times a day to actual citizens all over this country when parents are incarcerated and they don’t get compensated by the govt., so why should illegals be given compensation?

But the govt didn’t “just do whatever” it wanted here, they detained illegals caught crossing the border and then put the children in holding facilities. This happens thousands of times a day to actual citizens all over this country when parents are incarcerated and they don’t get compensated by the govt., so why should illegals be given compensation?

I’m not ruling one way or another, that is the justice systems role to determine. I dont know all the details or have the expertise to have an opinion. I’m just saying it is not absurd like you guys are claiming it is. Do all of you know all the details and have the expertise to rule?

So you want the government to go to court and argue that separating families and the resulting hardship doesn't matter because they were illegals?

To be more specific than thorn, I guess you believe we shouldn't have to feed illegals that are apprehended.......or give them shelter or medical treatment. When they crossed the border illegally they gave up all rights to be treated decently.

I mean, I get your point, but the separation policy was specifically designed to punish illegal border crossers so they wouldn't do it again. They shouldn't be punished, put them in the system or send them back.

So you want the government to go to court and argue that separating families and the resulting hardship doesn't matter because they were illegals?

To be more specific than thorn, I guess you believe we shouldn't have to feed illegals that are apprehended.......or give them shelter or medical treatment. When they crossed the border illegally they gave up all rights to be treated decently.

I mean, I get your point, but the separation policy was specifically designed to punish illegal border crossers so they wouldn't do it again. They shouldn't be punished, put them in the system or send them back.

Also, can we cut off their fingers or gouge out their eyes?

im-425244

By
Michelle Hackman
Aruna Viswanatha
and
Sadie Gurman

Generally speaking, if you are engaged in an illegal activity you should be barred from collecting damages. Of course there are a few exceptions. Very few. This is not one of them.

Generally speaking, if you are engaged in an illegal activity you should be barred from collecting damages. Of course there are a few exceptions. Very few. This is not one of them.

We’re the separated while being apprehended or after in custody? Why doesn’t this qualify as one of your exceptions? What does count?

What? George Floyd?

This didn't happen when they crossed the border. Even then you would be wrong. These people were in custody.

You said they "should". That's not law. That's an opinion.

Why don’t U.S families get compensated when a parent or parents are incarcerated and the kids put in foster care or a residential setting? Is that somehow less of a hardship or less traumatic?
Now, if the individuals are mistreated in some manner while incarcerated then that’s a whole different ball game, but from what I’ve read, these suits are alleging psychological trauma due to the act of separating, which is silly when compared to what goes on in this country on a daily basis.

Why don’t U.S families get compensated when a parent or parents are incarcerated and the kids put in foster care or a residential setting? Is that somehow less of a hardship or less traumatic?
Now, if the individuals are mistreated in some manner while incarcerated then that’s a whole different ball game, but from what I’ve read, these suits are alleging psychological trauma due to the act of separating, which is silly when compared to what goes on in this country on a daily basis.

Ok. That is up for the courts to decide. Don’t the responses to this article look a bit silly now that we have discussed it some?

The beginning on this thread was like reading a game thread after a bad play.

Ok. That is up for the courts to decide. Don’t the responses to this article look a bit silly now that we have discussed it some?

The beginning on this thread was like reading a game thread after a bad play.
Not really, IMO. To claim an injury due to separating families as a result of an illegal activity of the parent that resulted in their incarceration and inability to care for their children is ludicrous. I see this on a daily basis in this country and although sad, the govt shouldn’t be liable or responsible for the action of the parent that was illegal and led to the separation. Poor decisions have unfavorable consequences.

Not really, IMO. To claim an injury due to separating families as a result of an illegal activity of the parent that resulted in their incarceration and inability to care for their children is ludicrous. I see this on a daily basis in this country and although sad, the govt shouldn’t be liable or responsible for the action of the parent that was illegal and led to the separation. Poor decisions have unfavorable consequences.

So, you are still of the opinion that allowing this to go through the l legal system is outrageous?

So, you are still of the opinion that allowing this to go through the l legal system is outrageous?
No, because that’s not what Biden’s admin is proposing to do. I’d be fine with it going through the legal system because it would be laughed out of any competent court. But from what I’ve read and understand, Biden and his people are going to settle the suits before they even get litigated, which is nothing more than another shot at trump and his admin. Anyone can file suit, for just about anything in this country, whether a citizen or illegal alien, but our legal system is intended to weed out the frivolous suits, which these clearly are. The govt wasn’t in the wrong in this instance so they have no reason to settle anything. Again, I personally see similar incidents happen every day in this country to U.S citizens and their children and unless there is a clear injury or negligence by the govt agent, there are no suits filed and sure as hell aren’t half a million dollar settlements payed out by the govt. If anyone is guilty of negligence in this scenario, it’s the parent for endangering their child by committing an illegal act, knowing full well what the consequences are.

But I can agree to disagree.

Last edited:
No, because that’s not what Biden’s admin is proposing to do. I’d be fine with it going through the legal system because it would be laughed out of any competent court. But from what I’ve read and understand, Biden and his people are going to settle the suits before they even get litigated, which is nothing more than another shot at trump and his admin. Anyone can file suit, for just about anything in this country, whether a citizen or illegal alien, but our legal system is intended to weed out the frivolous suits, which these clearly are. The govt wasn’t in the wrong in this instance so they have no reason to settle anything. Again, I personally see similar incidents happen every day in this country to U.S citizens and their children and unless there is a clear injury or negligence by the govt agent, there are no suits filed and sure as hell aren’t half a million dollar settlements payed out by the govt. If anyone is guilty of negligence in this scenario, it’s the parent for endangering their child by committing an illegal act, knowing full well what the consequences are.

Why are you so sure it will be laughed out? Don’t know a lot of the details but looks like there weren’t adequate facilities to house the children and there was no formal plan for reunification. It also looks like the government has missed several court ordered deadlines to reunite families. Also looks like quite a few parents were deported without their children. In general looks like they implemented a drastic change in policy without looking into or caring about the effects of the policy. Just a cursory review it looks to me to be a lot different than kids being separated from their parents while their parents are in jail.

Also, I just don’t understand the animosity aimed at these people by people on this board. How are they hurting you? Why is this policy justified in your mind knowing the impacts it has on the kids? Why couldn’t we wait for proper facilities be built and staffed and solid plans developed for reunification before implementing this policy? Seems like the humane thing to do if you are insistent on implementing the policy.

Last edited:
Why are you so sure it will be laughed out? Don’t know a lot of the details but looks like there weren’t adequate facilities to house the children and there was no formal plan for reunification. It also looks like the government has missed several court ordered deadlines to reunite families. In general looks like they implemented a drastic change in policy without looking into or caring about the effects of the policy. Just a cursory review it looks to me to be a lot different than kids being separated from their parents while their parents are in jail.

Also, I just don’t understand the animosity aimed at these people by people on this board. How are they hurting you? Why is this policy justified in your mind knowing the impacts it has on the kids? Why couldn’t we wait for proper facilities be built and staffed and solid plans developed for reunification before implementing this policy? Seems like the humane thing to do if you are insistent on implementing the policy.
Can’t speak for others on the board but I don’t have animosity towards these people, I just don’t make excuses for people breaking the law, especially people who are here illegally, who then cry foul when there are consequences.
I also feel for the millions of people waiting to get in here legally who are being shortchanged by people coming in illegally.
And by being “humane” as you called it, you’re in actuality causing more hardships for more people by incentivizing the same behavior by not having strict penalties and enforcing them, which then creates what you see at the southern border currently.
I get the idea behind what you’re saying but that can’t maintain at a systemic level if you want to keep any semblance of a sovereign nation, which in my opinion is exactly what many progressives detest and hope to destroy.
While we’re on the topic of children, there are tens of thousands in this country currently in the foster care system that I wish people cared half as much about as they do the children of foreign nationals who come here illegally. Having citizenship should come with some benefits and prioritization.

Last edited:
We’re the separated while being apprehended or after in custody? Why doesn’t this qualify as one of your exceptions? What does count?
I don't know. The gov't is doing the best it can with a huge problem. Do they have the facilities to keep large numbers of families? What counts? George Floyd. Again, they came ILLEGALLY.

Reactions: goboilers2

Disagree with one point, our legal system doesn't do anything to weed out frivolous suits. I learned that the hard way as I'm already $10k in the hole as you have no option but to lawyer up and defend yourself.

Disagree with one point, our legal system doesn't do anything to weed out frivolous suits. I learned that the hard way as I'm already $10k in the hole as you have no option but to lawyer up and defend yourself.
Yeah that’s a good point. I should have said, “theoretically”

From what I understand it was rare under previous administrations and there were adequate facilities to house the kids.
A 2016 court ruling required that illegal kids be separated from illegal parents. Trump's CBP was complying with the law. Do you understand that?

UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE NINTH CIRCUIT
JENNY LISETTE FLORES, Plaintiff-Appellee, v. LORETTA E. LYNCH, Attorney General, Attorney General of the United States; JEH JOHNSON, Secretary of Homeland Security; U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY, and its subordinate entities; U.S. IMMIGRATION AND CUSTOMS ENFORCEMENT; U.S. CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION, Defendants-Appellants.

No. 15-56434 D.C. No. 2:85-cv-04544- DMG-AGR

OPINION Appeal from the United States District Court for the Central District of California Dolly M. Gee, District Judge, Presiding Argued and Submitted June 7, 2016 Pasadena, California Filed July 6, 2016 2 FLORES V. LYNCH Before: Ronald M. Gould, Michael J. Melloy*, and Andrew D. Hurwitz, Circuit Judges. Opinion by Judge Hurwitz

SUMMARY** Immigration

The panel affirmed in part and reversed in part the district court’s order granting the motion of a plaintiff class to enforce a 1997 Settlement with the government which set a nationwide policy for the detention, release, and treatment of minors detained in Immigration and Naturalization Service custody, and remanded for further proceedings.

The panel held that the Settlement unambiguously applies both to minors who are accompanied and unaccompanied by their parents. The panel held, however, that the district court erred in interpreting the Settlement to provide release rights to accompanying adults. The panel also held that the district court did not abuse its discretion in denying the government’s motion to amend the Settlement

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT