ADVERTISEMENT

Best thing about Miles

Dec 30, 2002
What I like about Miles is that he could start immediately. Regardless of what other coaches you like, waiting until the end of the Season is a risky proposition. There is no guarantee we won't be outbid for whoever your choice is.

Didn't we miss out on our first two choices when we were hiring Hazell? Maybe we should ask ourselves if we like Miles better than our third favorite choice. If that answer is yes, we should go all out on him asap.

I don't think he would start coaching BUT I think he could start attending practices and making visual notes about players and start recruiting if he is 'hired'

I'd be shocked if Miles took the Purdue job now. Considering there's a good chance that a job like Texas will be opening up at the end of the year, a guy like Miles that will be having alot of sutters likely will wait to consider his options. I know alot of people on here are throwing out Miles' name, but i think it would be wise to consider that a "dream name" while expecting someone from a good FCS school or MAC ending up being the guy.

I don't understand the Miles love on here. He's on the wrong side of 60, runs a draconian offense, and there's no evidence he can bring the same quality of recruits to Purdue without all the resources of the booster networks he's had at his previous stops. We need a coach who embraces the cradle of QB's and a passing offense.

I don't understand the Miles love on here. He's on the wrong side of 60, runs a draconian offense, and there's no evidence he can bring the same quality of recruits to Purdue without all the resources of the booster networks he's had at his previous stops. We need a coach who embraces the cradle of QB's and a passing offense.
All of this. We aren't hiring 52 year old Les Miles. That guy would be a slam dunk hire. We'd be getting his ghost.

All of this. We aren't hiring 52 year old Les Miles. That guy would be a slam dunk hire. We'd be getting his ghost.
52 year old Les wouldn't touch this job. Many on our wish list probably won't either. It goes both ways. Most people outside the Purdue sphere seem to believe we would be "marrying up" if we landed him. He's not my number one option, but between being able to start right away and being a houshold name are some positives and certainly couldn't hurt recruiting. Plus with his network maybe we get some good assistants.

52 year old Les wouldn't touch this job. Many on our wish list probably won't either. It goes both ways. Most people outside the Purdue sphere seem to believe we would be "marrying up" if we landed him. He's not my number one option, but between being able to start right away and being a houshold name are some positives and certainly couldn't hurt recruiting. Plus with his network maybe we get some good assistants.

Put yourself in a recruits shoes...why would you want to play for Miles?

Because he used to be good?

LSU won in spite of him, not because of him. His clock management skills make Danny Hope look like a genius. His offense is archaic. He ran off his last good DC to TAMU because they were losing games in the teens because they couldn't score and he blamed it on the D.

For all the things Purdue isn't, it's still a P5 job in a weak division. A decent HC candidate will see the opportunity and take it. We will pay a good and fair salary as well. Most up and comers aren't going to be considered for the elite jobs...they have to take a job like Purdue then grow from there.

We will have interest from good coaches.

Reactions: pb1941
Put yourself in a recruits shoes...why would you want to play for Miles?

Because he used to be good?

LSU won in spite of him, not because of him. His clock management skills make Danny Hope look like a genius. His offense is archaic. He ran off his last good DC to TAMU because they were losing games in the teens because they couldn't score and he blamed it on the D.

For all the things Purdue isn't, it's still a P5 job in a weak division. A decent HC candidate will see the opportunity and take it. We will pay a good and fair salary as well. Most up and comers aren't going to be considered for the elite jobs...they have to take a job like Purdue then grow from there.

We will have interest from good coaches.
Yeah, I'm not saying he would turn us into a national contender, more along the lines of his 7 win OSU teams. I don't think he forgot how to coach or what it took to win at a program like Okie St just because he couldn't make LSU into Alabama. His name still carries a lot of weight. If he was hired more people outside the Purdue fan base would know the name of our coach tomorrow than knew DH2 name after 3+ years.
We are quite a ways away from being that 1997-2004 Tiller caliber program again. And not only was Tiller a miracle hire, but he came into a better situation talent wise. Nearly any coach who is proven capable of making that leap (i.e. Herman, Fleck) is going to find a better situation to make $15M or whatever over the next 5-6 years. Many coaches will consider this gig a career killer.
I guess your last sentence is where we differ mostly. I don't love Miles but see a guy like him as the alternative to the unproven 1 year wonders who will answer the phone call from MBob. Fortunately the guy making the decision is in a much better position than either of us to know just how big of a fish we can catch!

Look what Spurrier did at Carolina. Not saying it's a given that Miles would do that at Purdue, but I'd be excited to have him. Theres several guys I'd be thrilled to see take over but there is not one who is guaranteed success.

What I like about Miles is that he could start immediately. Regardless of what other coaches you like, waiting until the end of the Season is a risky proposition. There is no guarantee we won't be outbid for whoever your choice is.

Didn't we miss out on our first two choices when we were hiring Hazell? Maybe we should ask ourselves if we like Miles better than our third favorite choice. If that answer is yes, we should go all out on him asap.

Only thing I like about it. Otherwise we risk going g to offseason only to find out how unattractive our position is on the open market. Other than Jim being immediately available I think it is an absolutely awful pick.

"Otherwise we risk going to off season only to find out how unattractive our position is on the open market."

Well said, Isn't that how we ended up with Haznutt? God forbid we end up in that situation again. I don't ever want to hear "Furnace" or "One Brick Higher." Glad that we made the change so the search can start.

Only thing I like about it. Otherwise we risk going g to offseason only to find out how unattractive our position is on the open market. Other than Jim being immediately available I think it is an absolutely awful pick.
Who is Jim that's also available now?
Edit, or is that him

Reactions: TC4THREE
Les Mileswould be like when IU hired Dinardo or when Purdue got Akers. Don't recycle please!!!

Yes, we must make our decisions based on fear. Especially since once a particular situation plays out, all future vaguely similar situations end up with the same exact result 100% of the time. Why didn't you apply to be the AD?

Yes, we must make our decisions based on fear. Especially since once a particular situation plays out, all future vaguely similar situations end up with the same exact result 100% of the time. Why didn't you apply to be the AD?

Good grief. What in Miles resume leads you to believe he can rebuild a team like Purdue?

Good grief. What in Miles resume leads you to believe he can rebuild a team like Purdue?
His OK State job.

That said, that was a hell of a long time ago. It's clear to anybody who's watched a Les Miles coached team over the past 3 years. The fire to compete is gone. No longer looking to innovate offensively. Still a good recruiter but no longer elite there.

Les has the resume for sure...but he's no longer the coach on that resume.

His OK State job.

That said, that was a hell of a long time ago. It's clear to anybody who's watched a Les Miles coached team over the past 3 years. The fire to compete is gone. No longer looking to innovate offensively. Still a good recruiter but no longer elite there.

Les has the resume for sure...but he's no longer the coach on that resume.

Not really. OSU want even near the depths of Purdue. Simmons before Miles had winning seasons and bowl berths.

Not really. OSU want even near the depths of Purdue. Simmons before Miles had winning seasons and bowl berths.

We aren't as far gone as you imagine.

We hire the right coach, it will turn around.

Purdue had been dismal before, then good, then bad again. Over and over. It's cyclical unless you're Ohio St or other power programs.

It's all about the right hire. Miles isn't that hire IMO

His ability to recruit, he might not have the pull of a program like LSU but he has his own name. Plus he can sell the "all in" attitude Purdue is at least talking the talk about right now. He has won national championships, while we just need someone to win some games.
My comment was more just a general response to everyone comparing possible candidates to previous coaches. To say Miles is the next Akers is a stretch.
Besides, I'm sure we could compare a coach who's failed at Purdue with just about every potential next coach.
For example: Fleck reminds me of Danny Hope with all of his excitement so he would probably not work out here.... Dumb coaching search criteria

His ability to recruit, he might not have the pull of a program like LSU but he has his own name. Plus he can sell the "all in" attitude Purdue is at least talking the talk about right now. He has won national championships, while we just need someone to win some games.
My comment was more just a general response to everyone comparing possible candidates to previous coaches. To say Miles is the next Akers is a stretch.
Besides, I'm sure we could compare a coach who's failed at Purdue with just about every potential next coach.
For example: Fleck reminds me of Danny Hope with all of his excitement so he would probably not work out here.... Dumb coaching search criteria

Fleck is a better recruiter than Miles. I don't think you fully understand what Fleck has done at WMU. Hillary Clinton could recruit good FB players to Baton Rouge...it's that easy.

WMU has about 35 legitimate competitors in a 5 state area around it. LSU has very few...AND does well in Texas AND owns it's home state. Recruiting will not fall off at LSU. WMU will likely go immediately back to the cellar once Flecks classes leave.

Reactions: TC4THREE
We aren't as far gone as you imagine.

We hire the right coach, it will turn around.

Purdue had been dismal before, then good, then bad again. Over and over. It's cyclical unless you're Ohio St or other power programs.

It's all about the right hire. Miles isn't that hire IMO
Miles is Fool's Gold.

Fleck is a better recruiter than Miles. I don't think you fully understand what Fleck has done at WMU. Hillary Clinton could recruit good FB players to Baton Rouge...it's that easy.

WMU has about 35 legitimate competitors in a 5 state area around it. LSU has very few...AND does well in Texas AND owns it's home state. Recruiting will not fall off at LSU. WMU will likely go immediately back to the cellar once Flecks classes leave.

Apparently you don't understand the fact that I'm not trying to say one is a better choice than the other. Just that you can't dismiss a man who has won national championships. The only reason I mentioned Fleck was to show anyone can have "holes" poked in their resume. Why don't we stick to the black and white of it and go from there.
Further more, I'm sure there are plenty of personalities who could draw talent to WMU in their current situation. Just tell kids why go to a mid to lower level P5 and be irrelevant when you can come here, win, and maybe even make some noise on the national level?
Look, Fleck is a name I'd be thrilled to hear named as our next coach but I'm not casting guys off because of some perceived weakness. Identify what Purdue needs, identify ALL of the candidates who best fit these needs, start at the top and offer the job until it's taken.

Apparently you don't understand the fact that I'm not trying to say one is a better choice than the other. Just that you can't dismiss a man who has won national championships. The only reason I mentioned Fleck was to show anyone can have "holes" poked in their resume. Why don't we stick to the black and white of it and go from there.
Further more, I'm sure there are plenty of personalities who could draw talent to WMU in their current situation. Just tell kids why go to a mid to lower level P5 and be irrelevant when you can come here, win, and maybe even make some noise on the national level?
Look, Fleck is a name I'd be thrilled to hear named as our next coach but I'm not casting guys off because of some perceived weakness. Identify what Purdue needs, identify ALL of the candidates who best fit these needs, start at the top and offer the job until it's taken.
good post but we need a young, proven program builder not some guy to coach a couple years to get to collecting SS. W.Lafayette is not Baton Rouge.

I appreciate what you're saying and I agree that's what should be the preferred choice in an ideal candidate. I'm in no way trying to sell Miles, my original post was just pointing out positives if it were to happen.
What may have come off as me being a Miles backer is simply me trying to say that everyone who is saying absolutely no should actually think. Best guy for the job or not, he's a lot closer to the top of the list than the bottom. Don't pass on a dance with an 8 just because there is a 10 in the building.
And to my original post, you have to admit it would be nice to have a big name HC, solely focused on recruiting/staff building until Dec-Jan or whenever. Not a sales pitch, just something to be excited about IF it were to happen

Reactions: wendy1
Miles is not our answer. Wrong side of 60... out dated offense... how about a young energetic coach for a change?

Dude, like I said I'm all for that... Just make sure he actually knows something about football too. I don't care who the next coach is, just get a good one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT