ADVERTISEMENT

Beating the Hoosiers just got easier.

Wow. You have lost every ounce and shred of credibility you had remaining. Which is not saying much, btw. How can you say that your leading rusher, with back-to-back 1000 yard seasons wouldn't start next year?

You can't spell DELUSIONAL without IU.

Redding was the #2 until Patrick tore his ACL. Patrick is now back, and will again be the #1. Not that hard to figure out.

Unless you are hiring Nick Saban or Urban Meyer I would say everyone is a risk. Whose to say Fleck won't be the next Darrell Hazell? Whose to say Brohm's style will work in the Big Ten? Whose to say Allen won't be the next Dabo Swinney? If you can guarantee all of those things I am guessing you are a billionaire from playing the lottery.

Brohm has an innovative offense that has produced incredible results. Sure there will be an adjustment in the Big Ten but he knows what it takes to be successful. The days of ignoring in-state recruiting by Hazell are over.

Brohm has an innovative offense that has produced incredible results. Sure there will be an adjustment in the Big Ten but he knows what it takes to be successful. The days of ignoring in-state recruiting by Hazell are over.
Rich Rodriguez had an innovative offense that produced incredible results, too.

Rich Rodriguez had an innovative offense that produced incredible results, too.

Cool story. Doesn't change the fact that we finally have an identity and will no longer ignore in-state recruiting. There are probably at least 4 or 5 guys on your roster that would be on ours if our coaches had been even somewhat competent.

Cool story. Doesn't change the fact that we finally have an identity and will no longer ignore in-state recruiting. There are probably at least 4 or 5 guys on your roster that would be on ours if our coaches had been even somewhat competent.
Cooler story: "Probably... if"

Ignore and fail are two different things.

In cases like Simmie Cobbs and Brandon Knight? Failed.

In cases like Coy Cronk? Seemed like ignored.

Either way, all 3 will be giving Bhrom headaches next year.

Care to elaborate on each of those?

We lost Cobbs because we told him we wanted him only for defense and iu told him he could play WR. That was a bad decision/fail on our part.

We lost Knight for several reasons. A big one was ignoring Jacob Robinson for too long. If we had offered Robinson when we should've, he would've been a boiler and there's a good chance Knight would've followed. Both Robinson and Knight come from pro-Purdue families.

We ignored Cronk even though he was 10 miles from campus. Our coach went to Lafayette Central Catholic games but was there for Jackson Anthrop and didn't give Cronk the time of day.

We ignored Beery even though his dad played TE at Purdue with Jim Everett.

If we had identified players early, recruited them hard, and lost them to you, I'd tip my cap and say job well done. That isn't the case for the vast majority of these scenarios. Do you disagree?

We lost Cobbs because we told him we wanted him only for defense and iu told him he could play WR. That was a bad decision/fail on our part.

We lost Knight for several reasons. A big one was ignoring Jacob Robinson for too long. If we had offered Robinson when we should've, he would've been a boiler and there's a good chance Knight would've followed. Both Robinson and Knight come from pro-Purdue families.

We ignored Cronk even though he was 10 miles from campus. Our coach went to Lafayette Central Catholic games but was there for Jackson Anthrop and didn't give Cronk the time of day.

If we had identified players early, recruited them hard, and lost them to you, I'd tip my cap and say job well done. That isn't the case for the vast majority of these scenarios. Do you disagree?

You did a pretty good job, and seem more or less in agreement. Knight was a fail though. I had family involved with the Noblesville program and Purdue recruited him plenty hard, just lost out on him.

But all of that is not to say that if Hazell had just offered earlier or something all of those guys would have guaranteed committed to Purdue. Your comment seems to dismiss that IU was consistently out-recruiting PU under Hazell.

Minnesota did not fire Claeys because of on-field performance. Plus all BRCB was saying is that IU or Purdue would take 9 win seasons in a heartbeat.

Fleck went 1-11, 8-4, 7-5 and then finally 12-1. In the MAC. If Fred is such a moron for not hiring him, what does that make your AD?

Alvarez... what coordinator who became a head coach wouldn't have significant prior coaching experience? How is Alvarez a bad example? Because he learned from great coaches that he worked for? You can only be considered a successful coordinator to head coach if the previous people you worked for were average?

There are plenty of unknowns when it comes to Allen. You are free to cast doubt at every opportunity. It was a gamble to hire him, but we like our chances.
Our AD and the search committee figured out quickly that Fleck wasn't a good fit for Purdue. They moved away from him. Brohm rose to the top of this list quickly.

That said, Fleck would have been a good fit at IU, IMHO.

Purdue took a gamble on Hazell, who had one good season at Kent State and paid for it for four miserable seasons. He was 16-10 at KSU, going 11-3 in his second season. Allen has ZERO FBS HC experience. Basically ZERO HC experience period outside of Indy-area high school coaching.

Our AD and the search committee figured out quickly that Fleck wasn't a good fit for Purdue. They moved away from him. Brohm rose to the top of this list quickly.

That said, Fleck would have been a good fit at IU, IMHO.

Purdue took a gamble on Hazell, who had one good season at Kent State and paid for it for four miserable seasons. He was 16-10 at KSU, going 11-3 in his second season. Allen has ZERO FBS HC experience. Basically ZERO HC experience period outside of Indy-area high school coaching.

That's true. But as soon as Allen left High School, he has been successful in every coaching job he has had. Whether it was as a defensive coordinator or special teams coordinator. It not like he doesn't know college football. He's just not a big offensive guy. Which is why he hired one of the most experienced OCs in the NCAA.

Their is no guarantee that Purdue would have landed all of those players. Recruiting against IU wont get any easier especially if Allen is successful. He is as loved by IN HS coaches as Crean is loathed by IN HS coaches.

Do people actually expect to get people to say positive and encouraging things about IU on a Purdue board?

Man, little brother is getting desperate if they are looking here for support now.

Their is no guarantee that Purdue would have landed all of those players. Recruiting against IU wont get any easier especially if Allen is successful. He is as loved by IN HS coaches as Crean is loathed by IN HS coaches.

It's as close to a guarantee as you can get. The way I look at recruiting going forward is this: Will it get easier? Probably not but it really can't get worse for us since we legitimately ignored the state for so many years. It can only improve from our side since Brohm and company are already making inroads at some of the big schools in the state.

It's as close to a guarantee as you can get. The way I look at recruiting going forward is this: Will it get easier? Probably not but it really can't get worse for us since we legitimately ignored the state for so many years. It can only improve from our side since Brohm and company are already making inroads at some of the big schools in the state.
I agree with this. It can't get worse. Recruiting in Indiana is going to be very competitive. With Brohm paying more attention to the state, with all of Allen's connections in the state. Cincinnati and Fickell are going to be coming in here more then they have lately and you still have Notre Dame to deal with. With the state not being a hotbed of talent anyway it is just going to be that much tougher for each school.

I agree with this. It can't get worse. Recruiting in Indiana is going to be very competitive. With Brohm paying more attention to the state, with all of Allen's connections in the state. Cincinnati and Fickell are going to be coming in here more then they have lately and you still have Notre Dame to deal with. With the state not being a hotbed of talent anyway it is just going to be that much tougher for each school.

ND doesn't concern me much as they might only take one or two of the studs each year. You're right about Cincy though.

Under Brohm, Purdue will have an identity for its program again, and with that, the better players in IN will start signing with Purdue.

Going to IU is a losing proposition. A HC with virtually no HC experience, a defense-first mentality, plus IU has to play in the BIG East. Do IU fans actually think Allen is the guy to make IU competitive with OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, and Penn State? Not to mention, Maryland and Rutgers both have young coaches who are really good recruiters (better than anyone IU has). IU is staring at DFL in the Big East every season and now they can't pad their record with cupcake non-conference games anymore. More conference games means more losses for IU.

IU is staring at DFL in the Big East every season and now they can't pad their record with cupcake non-conference games anymore. More conference games means more losses for IU.

The B1G made up for it by giving us a protected cupcake. I mean crossover**

It's always funny when iu football fans talk smack. Sure the past 4 years have been bad for us but come on now. Before this recent slide, you hadn't strung together even 3 wins in a row over us since WW2.

It's always funny when iu football fans talk smack. Sure the past 4 years have been bad for us but come on now. Before this recent slide, you hadn't strung together even 3 wins in a row over us since WW2.

I wasn't much of an IU fan in the 50s, but I was at the last 4 bucket games.

Starting in 2017, IU will be Purdue's bitch again in football. And try this on for size -

All-Time
Purdue 72 IU 41 (we own IU historically 72-41-6)

Bucket Games Only
Purdue 57, IU 29 (same story 57-29-3)

BIG Championships
Purdue 8 (12 total including IIAA), IU 2 !!!

Bowl Game Records
Purdue 9-8
IU 3-8

Purdue went 13-0-1 vs. IU between 1948 and 1961. I'd say that makes your 4 year streak look pretty small.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Purdue went 13-0-1 vs. IU between 1948 and 1961. I'd say that makes your 4 year streak look pretty small.

This is true, but you have to win 4 in a row before you can move forward from there.

I believe Purdue made about as good a hire as they could hope for and he will almost certainly improve your recruiting, but he's going to be fighting an uphill battle for a few more years while you try to catch up in the facilities race. Too many fans seriously underestimate the impact this has on a program. IU finally began to figure it out when Greenspan was here and Glass has continued to pour money into the effort. I believe you have some football facilities coming online this year, but that only gets you to where IU was a few years ago and it's not just IU. Northwestern and Illinois are pouring even larger sums than Purdue into athletic upgrades. If Purdue stays committed to the course, they will catch up with IU and others (we're not that far ahead), but if you read Mitch Daniels' open letters and other comments about athletic spending, he is clearly not happy to be in a spending arms race and may have to be dragged along rather than being a leader. It's something which bears watching if you're a Purdue fan.

With regards to head coaches, we're both a bit in the dark. Allen has done well at each step up the ladder. We'll see how he does on the next rung. He's from Indiana and is a bit older, so this is a destination job for him. If he does well, he's not likely to leave. I'm reasonably happy with the hire, but nothing is guaranteed. I think Brohm is a good coach, but he's not been the head guy at anything like the B1G level. He wouldn't be the first to stall in his initial big time job... often for circumstances beyond one's control. Additionally, he's a Louisville guy... born there, played there and has strong family ties there. It will be very difficult to keep him if, as Bear Bryant put it, "Momma calls." Both schools made the best hire they could given the circumstances. We'll see how it all plays out going forward.

fk, I don't get it. Everyone over on the IU site claims that it is ridiculous to assume the Crean is disliked by the HS coaches and that it is not true at all. You say that he is loathed. Which is it as I am confused?

This is true, but you have to win 4 in a row before you can move forward from there.

I believe Purdue made about as good a hire as they could hope for and he will almost certainly improve your recruiting, but he's going to be fighting an uphill battle for a few more years while you try to catch up in the facilities race. Too many fans seriously underestimate the impact this has on a program. IU finally began to figure it out when Greenspan was here and Glass has continued to pour money into the effort. I believe you have some football facilities coming online this year, but that only gets you to where IU was a few years ago and it's not just IU. Northwestern and Illinois are pouring even larger sums than Purdue into athletic upgrades. If Purdue stays committed to the course, they will catch up with IU and others (we're not that far ahead), but if you read Mitch Daniels' open letters and other comments about athletic spending, he is clearly not happy to be in a spending arms race and may have to be dragged along rather than being a leader. It's something which bears watching if you're a Purdue fan.

With regards to head coaches, we're both a bit in the dark. Allen has done well at each step up the ladder. We'll see how he does on the next rung. He's from Indiana and is a bit older, so this is a destination job for him. If he does well, he's not likely to leave. I'm reasonably happy with the hire, but nothing is guaranteed. I think Brohm is a good coach, but he's not been the head guy at anything like the B1G level. He wouldn't be the first to stall in his initial big time job... often for circumstances beyond one's control. Additionally, he's a Louisville guy... born there, played there and has strong family ties there. It will be very difficult to keep him if, as Bear Bryant put it, "Momma calls." Both schools made the best hire they could given the circumstances. We'll see how it all plays out going forward.
You're full of it. Fred Glass panicked when the $hit hit the fan with Wilson. Hell, they had just signed Wilson to a big extension and knew full well that he was an abusive a-hole. Allen was the easy choice for Glass, but not the right one. He could have gotten Fleck if he tried, but he didn't. He absolutely panicked. It's interesting, but IU has a bad habit of firing their most successful football coaches. (Then again, it's IU - the worst football program in the nation historically. IU doesn't know what it takes to win in football. When it gets close to winning, it eats its own.)

Purdue will have state-of-the-art facilities when they are completed. We will be at or near the best in the league. If anything, Illinois and Northwestern have to pour huge money in because they have such awful facilities - they are trying to catch up.

And now, to say that IU is significantly better than Purdue is a joke. IU had some of the very worst facilities in the nation. Assembly Hall is an absolute hole now. Purdue has the Brees Center for its Student Athletes and a bunch of other upgrades you probably don't even know about.

Brohm isn't going to leave Purdue for Louisville anytime soon, if at all, because the BIG is in a better conference than Louisville (ACC), and he knows that. He's going to make Purdue a better job than Louisville quickly, too. There's nothing in Brohm's background that says he will fail - look at his track record (much better than anything IU has or probably ever has had, besides maybe John Pont and Mallory). You don't go 30-10 (75% winning %), win two straight conference championships, and two straight bowl games by luck.

I didn't come here to trade insults, but as that seems to be your stock-in-trade, I'll make the following comments and excuse myself from this particular thread.

"Fred Glass panicked when the $hit hit the fan with Wilson."

As neither of us were in the room when these decisions were being, we can't hope to know his state of mind. I suspect your claims of panic are simply to mask your insecurity about the situation.

"Purdue will have state-of-the-art facilities when they are completed. We will be at or near the best in the league."

With regards to facilities, Purdue will, in fact, have state-of-the-art facilities in a few more years. We've been working on ours now for a number of years while yours is a more recent development. This is a bit of wishful thinking on your part if you believe these things happen overnight.

"If anything, Illinois and Northwestern have to pour huge money in because they have such awful facilities - they are trying to catch up."

It's pretty well acknowledged around the B1G that Purdue's current athletic facilities are at or near the bottom of the league (Mackey being an exception). A number of your fans have said the same on this very board. Illinois and Northwestern have no more catching up to do than does Purdue.

"IU had some of the very worst facilities in the nation."

Yes... the key word being "had". As fine an engineering school as Purdue is, and I say that sincerely, quality planning and construction takes time. Purdue allowed itself to fall seriously behind. We are currently ahead of you in this regard. The gap is significant but not vast and, as I stated before, can be made up with a firm commitment of time and money, but to insist it does not exist ruins your credibility. Additionally, you have a president who is very uncomfortable with the spending. Purdue fans have to hope he's willing/forced to keep his foot on the gas pedal.

"Brohm isn't going to leave Purdue for Louisville anytime soon, if at all, because the BIG is in a better conference..."

The ACC has won twice as many championships (2-1) as the B1G over the last 5 years and had a 9-3 bowl record compared to 3-7 for our conference... including 3-1 head-to-head against us. You'll be hard pressed to prove the B1G is better. Brohm grew up a Cardinal fan in Louisville and is a football legend there. You're whistling in the dark if you believe he won't be interested to hear what they have to say if they come calling.

"There's nothing in Brohm's background that says he will fail - look at his track record"

At last... we agree on something! This is a true statement, but his past performance is no guarantee he will be successful going forward at Purdue. It's a good indicator, but nothing more. To believe otherwise is to set yourself up for great disappointment.

Reactions: wakeman26
"As neither of us were in the room when these decisions were being, we can't hope to know his state of mind. I suspect your claims of panic are simply to mask your insecurity about the situation."

LMAO. Amateur psychologist on the board, I see. I am not insecure about the situation at all because I know Purdue is in a better situation going forward than IU is. You guys just hired a coach with ZERO FBS HC experience to be your HC.

"With regards to facilities, Purdue will, in fact, have state-of-the-art facilities in a few more years. We've been working on ours now for a number of years while yours is a more recent development. This is a bit of wishful thinking on your part if you believe these things happen overnight."

That's your response? Purdue has been doing upgrades in FB and basketball since the $70M Ross-Ade upgrades in 2002 after our Rose Bowl season. Purdue spent $100M on the Mackey Arena upgrades and other adjoining facilities. More significant Ross-Ade upgrades are coming. We're building a new football complex - but you already know that.

"It's pretty well acknowledged around the B1G that Purdue's current athletic facilities are at or near the bottom of the league (Mackey being an exception). A number of your fans have said the same on this very board. Illinois and Northwestern have no more catching up to do than does Purdue."

Flat out wrong. Northwestern hasn't done any appreciable facility upgrades in basketball or football in years. Northwestern hasn't touched Dyche Stadium since 1996 and those were small changes ($20M). Welsh-Ryan Arena hasn't really been touched since 1983! It's a shit hole. Northwestern has a lot of work and catching up to do. Illinois put $100M into Memorial Stadium in 2008 but by looking at it, you wouldn't really know much was done. It's still looks and feels like an old stadium. The State Farm Center upgrades cost Illinois $170M, but State Farm paid $60M for naming rights. These basketball upgrades were pretty nice.]

"Yes... the key word being "had". As fine an engineering school as Purdue is, and I say that sincerely, quality planning and construction takes time. Purdue allowed itself to fall seriously behind. We are currently ahead of you in this regard. The gap is significant but not vast and, as I stated before, can be made up with a firm commitment of time and money, but to insist it does not exist ruins your credibility. Additionally, you have a president who is very uncomfortable with the spending. Purdue fans have to hope he's willing/forced to keep his foot on the gas pedal."

Purdue is behind with the Mackey upgrades and adjoining upgrades? The Brees Student Center? The upcoming football complex? Our football stadium was majorly upgraded in 2002 (15 years ago) and is slated for more upgrades. Purdue, President Daniels, and the BOT have all bought off on these upgrades. So you don't know WTF you're talking about.

I will give a little credit. IU did put in a play area for the kids, so they don't have to watch IU's games, and they added new pedestal for the chunk of limestone.]

"The ACC has won twice as many championships (2-1) as the B1G over the last 5 years and had a 9-3 bowl record compared to 3-7 for our conference... including 3-1 head-to-head against us. You'll be hard pressed to prove the B1G is better. Brohm grew up a Cardinal fan in Louisville and is a football legend there. You're whistling in the dark if you believe he won't be interested to hear what they have to say if they come calling."

You don't have any idea of Brohm's intentions regarding Louisville so saying otherwise is akin to saying Isaiah Thomas will be IU's new BB coach after Crean gets fired. It's just speculation on your part - nothing more.

5 years? You've got to be kidding. OSU, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Nebraska. These are power schools in football. The ACC has FSU and Clemson (now). That's it. Some might toss Miami in there, too, but they aren't close to being a power right now. The only conference that rivals the BIG is the SEC. To say otherwise is a flat out joke and you know it. I know, I know, IU lost to Wake Forest last season, so the ACC must be good, right?

"At last... we agree on something! This is a true statement, but his past performance is no guarantee he will be successful going forward at Purdue. It's a good indicator, but nothing more. To believe otherwise is to set yourself up for great disappointment."

Indications are that IU football is in trouble. It's easier to make Purdue successful than IU - it just is. IU has never had the kind of sustained success Joe Tiller had at Purdue. Wilson, even with a losing record (by a fair amount, and with ZERO winning seasons), goes down in history as one of IU's best coaches of all-time. Now that says a lot, doesn't it?

Last edited:
"As neither of us were in the room when these decisions were being, we can't hope to know his state of mind. I suspect your claims of panic are simply to mask your insecurity about the situation."

LMAO. Amateur psychologist on the board, I see. I am not insecure about the situation at all because I know Purdue is in a better situation going forward than IU is. You guys just hired a coach with ZERO FBS HC experience to be your HC.

"With regards to facilities, Purdue will, in fact, have state-of-the-art facilities in a few more years. We've been working on ours now for a number of years while yours is a more recent development. This is a bit of wishful thinking on your part if you believe these things happen overnight."

That's your response? Purdue has been doing upgrades in FB and basketball since the $70M Ross-Ade upgrades in 2002 after our Rose Bowl season. Purdue spent $100M on the Mackey Arena upgrades and other adjoining facilities. More significant Ross-Ade upgrades are coming. We're building a new football complex - but you already know that.

"It's pretty well acknowledged around the B1G that Purdue's current athletic facilities are at or near the bottom of the league (Mackey being an exception). A number of your fans have said the same on this very board. Illinois and Northwestern have no more catching up to do than does Purdue."

Flat out wrong. Northwestern hasn't done any appreciable facility upgrades in basketball or football in years. Northwestern hasn't touched Dyche Stadium since 1996 and those were small changes ($20M). Welsh-Ryan Arena hasn't really been touched since 1983! It's a shit hole. Northwestern has a lot of work and catching up to do. Illinois put $100M into Memorial Stadium in 2008 but by looking at it, you wouldn't really know much was done. It's still looks and feels like an old stadium. The State Farm Center upgrades cost Illinois $170M, but State Farm paid $60M for naming rights. These basketball upgrades were pretty nice.]

"Yes... the key word being "had". As fine an engineering school as Purdue is, and I say that sincerely, quality planning and construction takes time. Purdue allowed itself to fall seriously behind. We are currently ahead of you in this regard. The gap is significant but not vast and, as I stated before, can be made up with a firm commitment of time and money, but to insist it does not exist ruins your credibility. Additionally, you have a president who is very uncomfortable with the spending. Purdue fans have to hope he's willing/forced to keep his foot on the gas pedal."

Purdue is behind with the Mackey upgrades and adjoining upgrades? The Brees Student Center? The upcoming football complex? Our football stadium was majorly upgraded in 2002 (15 years ago) and is slated for more upgrades. Purdue, President Daniels, and the BOT have all bought off on these upgrades. So you don't know WTF you're talking about.

I will give a little credit. IU did put in a play area for the kids, so they don't have to watch IU's games, and they added new pedestal for the chunk of limestone.]

"The ACC has won twice as many championships (2-1) as the B1G over the last 5 years and had a 9-3 bowl record compared to 3-7 for our conference... including 3-1 head-to-head against us. You'll be hard pressed to prove the B1G is better. Brohm grew up a Cardinal fan in Louisville and is a football legend there. You're whistling in the dark if you believe he won't be interested to hear what they have to say if they come calling."

You don't have any idea of Brohm's intentions regarding Louisville so saying otherwise is akin to saying Isaiah Thomas will be IU's new BB coach after Crean gets fired. It's just speculation on your part - nothing more.

5 years? You've got to be kidding. OSU, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Nebraska. These are power schools in football. The ACC has FSU and Clemson (now). That's it. Some might toss Miami in there, too, but they aren't close to being a power right now. The only conference that rivals the BIG is the SEC. To say otherwise is a flat out joke and you know it. I know, I know, IU lost to Wake Forest last season, so the ACC must be good, right?

"At last... we agree on something! This is a true statement, but his past performance is no guarantee he will be successful going forward at Purdue. It's a good indicator, but nothing more. To believe otherwise is to set yourself up for great disappointment."

Indications are that IU football is in trouble. It's easier to make Purdue successful than IU - it just is. IU has never had the kind of sustained success Joe Tiller had at Purdue. Wilson, even with a losing record (by a fair amount, and with ZERO winning seasons), goes down in history as one of IU's best coaches of all-time. Now that says a lot, doesn't it?
Ignoring everything else that you are blathering about

You are crazy if you can't admit the ACC is legit in football.

Clemson, Louisville, FSU, Virginia Tech, UNC, Miami, Pitt, Georgia Tech.... dude cmon... these are all solid programs! How can you deny that?!?!

Penn State and Nebraska have been "Power Schools" the last 5 years? Really?!?!

Hell, Michigan has only been good since Harbaugh got there two years ago!

Ignoring everything else that you are blathering about

You are crazy if you can't admit the ACC is legit in football.

Clemson, Louisville, FSU, Virginia Tech, UNC, Miami, Pitt, Georgia Tech.... dude cmon... these are all solid programs! How can you deny that?!?!

Penn State and Nebraska have been "Power Schools" the last 5 years? Really?!?!

Hell, Michigan has only been good since Harbaugh got there two years ago!
Leave it to IU fans to bather about football. You guys don't know squat about winning football because IU so rarely has winning seasons. The ACC is a good conference but to say the ACC is a better football conference than the BIG is an absolute joke.

Your moron IU fan friend tried to limit the discussion to 5 years. I'm not willing to do that.

The schools I'm referring to have long histories of successful play and can be considered powerhouse programs. Clemson is really good, but they are a newcomer to the national powerhouse category. Louisville wasn't in the ACC 5 years ago (and they aren't a legit power anyways). FSU is a legit national power. VT is a good, solid program, but not a national powerhouse. UNC, Pitt, GT are good programs, but they are not close to the powerhouse category. Miami used to be a powerhouse (they have won 5 NCs, but none since 2001. They are not now a powerhouse now. They could get back there, but they are not there yet.

OSU is a powerhouse. Penn State has been and is basically back there after going to the Rose Bowl and winning the BIG. They've won NCs (2 consensus NCs since 1982). Michigan is the all-time wins leader in college football. They are a powerhouse that had a few down years and fired their coaches. Nebraska has won 5 NCs. They are a historical power since the Bob Devaney days (early 1960s). Wisconsin has had quite run since the Alvarez days. MSU, prior to this year, had won at least 11 games every season for 5 of the previous 6 seasons.

P5 Coaches with ZERO FBS HC experience that had better year's than PU last year:

Tracy Claeys
Lovie Smith
Kirby Smart
DJ Durkin
Clay Helton
Barry Odom

P5 Coaches with ZERO FBS HC experience that had worse year's than PU:

Chris Ash

P5 Coaches with ZERO FBS HC experience that had better year's than PU last year:

Tracy Claeys
Lovie Smith
Kirby Smart
DJ Durkin
Clay Helton
Barry Odom

P5 Coaches with ZERO FBS HC experience that had worse year's than PU:

Chris Ash
You aren't good at math, are you? Purdue and Illinois both had 3-9 records. BTW, Hazell beat Lovie Smith this past season. He was an NFL coach, for God's sake. You're comparing your HS Coach to Lovie Smith?

Claeys got fired, just like your beloved Coach Wilson. Claeys is better than Allen, IMHO.

Kirby Smart might be one of the best college DCs of all-time while at Alabama. He also coaches at Georgia now. He coached more than two seasons as a DC before becoming HC. Horrible comparison to Allen.

Durkin is one of the better young coaches around. Harbaugh certainly thought so and so did Maryland.

Clay Helton was an assistant coach in college for years prior to becoming HC. He also is 16-7 as a HC, having won the Pac12 South in 2015 and has won two bowl games as HC for USC.

Barry Odom? LMAO.

Chris Ash will be beating IU regularly in the BIG East because he recruits at a much higher level than IU could ever dream of doing under Allen.

You aren't good at math, are you? Purdue and Illinois both had 3-9 records. BTW, Hazell beat Lovie Smith this past season. He was an NFL coach, for God's sake. You're comparing your HS Coach to Lovie Smith?

Claeys got fired, just like your beloved Coach Wilson. Claeys is better than Allen, IMHO.

Kirby Smart might be one of the best college DCs of all-time while at Alabama. He also coaches at Georgia now. He coached more than two seasons as a DC before becoming HC. Horrible comparison to Allen.

Durkin is one of the better young coaches around. Harbaugh certainly thought so and so did Maryland.

Clay Helton was an assistant coach in college for years prior to becoming HC. He also is 16-7 as a HC, having won the Pac12 South in 2015 and has won two bowl games as HC for USC.

Barry Odom? LMAO.

Chris Ash will be beating IU regularly in the BIG East because he recruits at a much higher level than IU could ever dream of doing under Allen.

You aren't very good at math, are you? Purdue finished dead last in the B1G West, one spot behind Illinois. (lol.. having to argue you are as good as Illinois is pretty sad)

I am glad you brought up Wilson though. He had ZERO FBS HC experience, but it didn't stop him from owning PU and cleaning up against you guys on the recruiting trail.

The fact is PU has a very long uphill climb. A new HC won't suddenly upgrade your roster, which is currently in a very sorry state. Your construction projects won't get completed overnight. They just hired a coach who has ZERO P5 HC experience. A head coach who by the way lost to IU two years ago with WAY more talent than PU has on their roster at the moment.

I am not here saying Tom Allen is a can't-miss hire, time will tell, and I was disappointed in the Wilson firing, but you are pumping so much sunshine on a turd even Obama would be impressed.

You aren't very good at math, are you? Purdue finished dead last in the B1G West, one spot behind Illinois. (lol.. having to argue you are as good as Illinois is pretty sad)

I am glad you brought up Wilson though. He had ZERO FBS HC experience, but it didn't stop him from owning PU and cleaning up against you guys on the recruiting trail.

The fact is PU has a very long uphill climb. A new HC won't suddenly upgrade your roster, which is currently in a very sorry state. Your construction projects won't get completed overnight. They just hired a coach who has ZERO P5 HC experience. A head coach who by the way lost to IU two years ago with WAY more talent than PU has on their roster at the moment.

I am not here saying Tom Allen is a can't-miss hire, time will tell, and I was disappointed in the Wilson firing, but you are pumping so much sunshine on a turd even Obama would be impressed.
Dumba$$. We beat Illinois this past season.

Tom Allen is no Wilson, one of IU's historically best coaches, and Wilson never had a winning season at IU!

The way Brohm is recruiting right now, Purdue is going to surpass IU quickly. Purdue is getting better, and IU is getting worse. That's a fact. You just lost your HC, lost your best recruit, lost your best RB, lost your best LB.

You're like Obama. You can't accept the fact that your run (albeit under .500) is over.

BTW, why do you keep changing user id's on here?

Tom Allen is no Wilson, one of IU's historically best coaches, and Wilson never had a winning season at IU!

The way Brohm is recruiting right now, Purdue is going to surpass IU quickly. Purdue is getting better, and IU is getting worse. That's a fact. You just lost your HC, lost your best recruit, lost your best RB, lost your best LB.

You're like Obama. You can't accept the fact that your run (albeit under .500) is over.

This is actually my first time ever visiting this board, and for some sick reason I can't look away. Seeing you dive deeper into delusion is very enjoyable. You could probably tell by looking at my account history that it was my first time here, but I can see you don't think much of research and supporting evidence.

"Purdue is getting better, and IU is getting worse. That's a fact."

You don't know the definition of 'fact' ... I think the word you are looking for is 'total guess'

We fired a HC because Glass thought CTA was an upgrade. Time will tell. Our best recruit is solid and staying that way. Our best RB missed the majority of the season but will be back. Our best WR missed the entire season and will be back. Our 2nd best LB went pro early, but our All-American LB is returning. As is most of the rest of the team (17/22 starters returning which I believe is more than PU). Then again, after your last season, maybe not returning so much is a good thing.

This is actually my first time ever visiting this board, and for some sick reason I can't look away. Seeing you dive deeper into delusion is very enjoyable. You could probably tell by looking at my account history that it was my first time here, but I can see you don't think much of research and supporting evidence.

You don't know the definition of 'fact' ... I think the word you are looking for is 'total guess'

We fired a HC because Glass thought CTA was an upgrade. Time will tell. Our best recruit is solid and staying that way. Our best RB missed the majority of the season but will be back. Our best WR missed the entire season and will be back. Our 2nd best LB went pro early, but our All-American LB is returning. As is most of the rest of the team (17/22 starters returning which I believe is more than PU). Then again, after your last season, maybe not returning so much is a good thing.
I think Sdboilers wife left him for an IU grad. He has so much hatred he just lets things fly no matter if they have a hint of truth or not.

Nice revisionist history. IU fired Wilson because he was accused of abusing his players by forcing them to return to practice before they were fully healed from injuries. He was a drunken sot who regularly berated his players.

Glass gave Wilson a contract extension in early 2016, right? He did not hire Allen to be HC because we wanted to, he did it because he felt he had to. IU is facing lawsuits over the way Wilson handled his players' injuries. This has been widely reported, so don't try downplay it.

The criticisms inside of IU's administration became too loud for Glass to ignore after former players went to the press and told their stories. He panicked, fired Wilson, and then hired Allen because he felt HE HAD TO.

I think Sdboilers wife left him for an IU grad. He has so much hatred he just lets things fly no matter if they have a hint of truth or not.
Guilty as charged. I hate IU and Loosier fans (like wakeman26) who actually think they have a place to talk smack to Purdue fans about football. IU football is historically pathetic, and Purdue has historically owned IU in football. With the firing of Hazell and the hiring of Brohm, along with IU's firing of Wilson and hiring of Allen, Purdue will again rise above IU and IU will fall into its historic place in the BIG - DFL.

Last edited:
Unless you are hiring Nick Saban or Urban Meyer I would say everyone is a risk. Whose to say Fleck won't be the next Darrell Hazell? Whose to say Brohm's style will work in the Big Ten? Whose to say Allen won't be the next Dabo Swinney? If you can guarantee all of those things I am guessing you are a billionaire from playing the lottery.

dude . . . you're fighting a losing battle, and looking dumber with every post.

Your school just took a huge gamble . . . he's not PJ Fleck, or Dabo Swinney, or any other reasonable option, but an unknown, untested, seat-of-the-pants coaching selection.

You can try to put lipstick on that pig all you want.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT