ADVERTISEMENT

Bane and German

paintball1979

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Feb 13, 2008
Little known point guard from Gary leads Indiana Allstars in scoring in both games against Kentucky. Bane had 25 points in 2nd game on 10of 10 shooting.
Eugene German is quoted as lightning quick point guard with good handles and unbelievable moves. Did Purdue miss out on a guy that address's our biggest weakness while hunting the country for a 5th year guy, when a 4 year guy is right in our backyard?

Little known point guard from Gary leads Indiana Allstars in scoring in both games against Kentucky. Bane had 25 points in 2nd game on 10of 10 shooting.
Eugene German is quoted as lightning quick point guard with good handles and unbelievable moves. Did Purdue miss out on a guy that address's our biggest weakness while hunting the country for a 5th year guy, when a 4 year guy is right in our backyard?
As a PG he scores way too many points to be any good. :)

A 5'10 "PG" with no jumpshot, only looks for his own, & can only score within 2 feet of the basket? No thanks.

The answer to your question is No.

I'll definitely keep an eye on him the next couple of years. It will be interesting to see how his game translates to major college level.

A 5'10 "PG" with no jumpshot, only looks for his own, & can only score within 2 feet of the basket? No thanks.
Scored 51 against La Lamiere, doubt if all came within 2 feet of the basket. Not much info on his ability to distribute, but a lot of his Allstar teammates were in shock on his talent. Just relaying what has been said in print.

Scored 51 against La Lamiere, doubt if all came within 2 feet of the basket. Not much info on his ability to distribute, but a lot of his Allstar teammates were in shock on his talent. Just relaying what has been said in print.
Very little perimeter game. Think of Bryson Scott 2.0.

And regarding Bane. We have been over this countless times.
Thursday night and the Indiana Jr.-Sr. games, which were better indicators (full rosters, more talent, etc.), he was a COMPLETE non-factor and couldn't guard anyone. Was so slow.

German isn't a PG. He's very clearly SG and just isn't big enough to play as one in the B1G.
Completely agree. I know a lot of people get upset when they see someone like this have a great game and say "why didn't CMP get this guy"?

Look, he is going to Northern Illinois. There is a reason for that. He may turn into a very good college player, but right now he isn't projected as that. NIU is not a Major basketball program. We recently moved back to Indiana from the Dekalb IL area. I promise you NIU is not any where close to Major college basketball.

If CMP would have signed him, there would have been an outcry of "why the hell did we waste a scholarship on a guy with no major offers". Same thing goes for Bane. JMHO

Reactions: rjmpu82 and punaj
Any kid that leads the state, particularly Indiana, in scoring 2 seasons in a row like German did should have gotten closer looks by Purdue. If Carsen Edwards turns out to be a bust, I think missing out on Eugene German is a mistake.

Any kid that leads the state, particularly Indiana, in scoring 2 seasons in a row like German did should have gotten closer looks by Purdue. If Carsen Edwards turns out to be a bust, I think missing out on Eugene German is a mistake.
Everyone has a right to their opinion, but to simply say because a kid leads the state in scoring they should get a look from PU isn't accurate. I have supplied a link for the leading scorers in the state going back to 79-80. Look down that list and you will see it's very much a mixed bag, but you certainly have to agree that leading the state in scoring doesn't automatically equal major college talent.

http://www.ihsaa.org/sports/boys/ba...8-single-season-scoring-leaders-since-1979-80

how does he compare to L Jackson , point guard for Purdue a few years ago, he was like 5'9, I know he could get up, but not a great shot, he did ok

German isn't a PG. He's very clearly SG and just isn't big enough to play as one in the B1G.
This is the correct answer. My son was similar. Had to be on the floor with a 6' 2" PG so that guy could guard the SG on the other team ... too many bad matchups.

So they tore up a terrible Kentucky team and got their asses handed to them by Wilkes and Scruggs the week before? Not high major players..

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but to simply say because a kid leads the state in scoring they should get a look from PU isn't accurate. I have supplied a link for the leading scorers in the state going back to 79-80. Look down that list and you will see it's very much a mixed bag, but you certainly have to agree that leading the state in scoring doesn't automatically equal major college talent.

http://www.ihsaa.org/sports/boys/ba...8-single-season-scoring-leaders-since-1979-80

Hey....some blasts from the past on that list.....didn't realize that Bizio had led the state in scoring when he won Mr. Basketball.

Carsen Edwards appears to be the real deal as a quick, athletic playmaker. Getting used to the speed of the college game and primarily playing the 1 (can imagine him playing the 2 at times as well) will take some time, but he looks to be the one PG between him, Thompson, and Albrecht that can use his dribble to get to the basket or create for his teammates on multiple occasions every single game.

German didn't have the grades from what I heard, he isn't very bright.

German didn't have the grades from what I heard, he isn't very bright.

I think it was the same situation with the Murphy twins from Griffith. Trimmell in particular and fellow all star would have done well at Purdue. I hope they do well with their grades looking forward.

nagemj02, I've been assigning final grades at major universities (Penn State, Wisconsin-Madison, USC, Iowa, and Purdue for 40 years now - I've never passed a student, athlete or otherwise, on "street smarts."

You (along with mathboy, purdue4sure, and b-westy) are completely missing my point, sir. The previous poster was stating that German was "not very bright". I was just reminding them that someone's overall intelligence isn't necessarily tied to their academic prowess (i.e. German might not be a "dumb person").

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
You (along with mathboy, purdue4sure, and b-westy) are completely missing my point, sir. The previous poster was stating that German was "not very bright". I was just reminding them that someone's overall intelligence isn't necessarily tied to their academic prowess (i.e. German might not be a "dumb person").
My wife can attest to that thinking. She frequently thinks I'm a dumbass so I am at the other end of that spectrum. :D

WTF? I don't think I posted in this thread. I don't know either of these kids and don't have a dog in this fight. I appreciate the call-out, but save it for our next argument. :cool: Until then my fellow Boilermaker, have a great day!

By the way, I think you have a point. Some kids don't get the academics, but are fine players. UK, UNC and OSU are the best places for them, and also, I hear he could get his degree in 3 years at IU.

WTF? I don't think I posted in this thread. I don't know either of these kids and don't have a dog in this fight. I appreciate the call-out, but save it for our next argument. :cool: Until then my fellow Boilermaker, have a great day!

By the way, I think you have a point. Some kids don't get the academics, but are fine players. UK, UNC and OSU are the best places for them, and also, I hear he could get his degree in 3 years at IU.

In the "spirit" of board diplomacy, I think Nage's issue was due to the fact that some posters may have liked Wheel's post....full transparency in this technological age I suppose. I think there is a stigma (and assumptions) with poor grades that sometimes may not be accurate in "all" cases in indicating a student's potential, ability or overall intelligence.....some can overcome that with effort and resources.....and a willingness to learn......to me, though, these are limited exceptions. And sometimes, a particular student may not be able to academically qualify (for various reasons) and could nonetheless end up being a good student at another school.

At most schools, if one really wants to succeed, there are ways to get additional help......some kids just don't do well with tests either....JMHO

In the "spirit" of board diplomacy, I think Nage's issue was due to the fact that some posters may have liked Wheel's post....full transparency in this technological age I suppose.
That must be it. Nage is very much offended by people who agree with people who he disagrees with. He called me out and my only post in this thread would hardly offend anyone. But then again...

And I totally agree with the rest of your post, too. Schools like Purdue are really tough on boarderline students. It puts a lot of pressure on them. I don't know when was the last time the team ended a semester with question marks about eligibility. In the past, they happened almost every semester. Is it due to a really good academic adviser for the players, or MP's recruiting targets?

I hate wasting time clicking on a thread, looking for helpful, intellectual information about Boiler basketball, but little do I know, I'm walking into a pi$$ing contest over dumb sh!t.

P.S.

I realize I just contributed to the 2nd thing I hate most about internet forums.

1st thing I hate most is IU.

That must be it. Nage is very much offended by people who agree with people who he disagrees with. He called me out and my only post in this thread would hardly offend anyone. But then again...

And I totally agree with the rest of your post, too. Schools like Purdue are really tough on boarderline students. It puts a lot of pressure on them. I don't know when was the last time the team ended a semester with question marks about eligibility. In the past, they happened almost every semester. Is it due to a really good academic adviser for the players, or MP's recruiting targets?
Just to define the "academic adviser" for the basketball players is Todd Foster. Who definitely knows what it takes to be a student athlete basketball player. It's great to have his experience and loyalty to PU helping our team achieve their academic goals. With that said, the last couple of years' recruits have been overall solid academically.

......... I was just reminding them that someone's overall intelligence isn't necessarily tied to their academic prowess (i.e. German might not be a "dumb person").

Then why not just post this statement in the first place and not be "forced" to clarify and defend your original post?

German started out at Andrean for a month or 2 as a freshman. Was gone before basketball season. Not a good fit for either side. Maybe Carsen Cunningham can fill in the rest.

You are correct. But Wheels is correct that it won't matter how street smart he is as he flunks out of school. Both of make good points but the risk of signing him is the real issue.

You are correct. But Wheels is correct that it won't matter how street smart he is as he flunks out of school. Both of make good points but the risk of signing him is the real issue.

I wasn't inquiring about signing him, either. Someone took a shot at him, saying he "isn't very bright" and I provided a counter to that opinion. That was really my only point in the matter.

I wasn't inquiring about signing him, either. Someone took a shot at him, saying he "isn't very bright" and I provided a counter to that opinion. That was really my only point in the matter.
Sorry. I misunderstood the point.

Both would work well. I am being a new, less belligerent Dakota. Don't know how long I can keep it going though.
Don't file off your edges to fit in a round hole!!! Just keep in the back of your mind that you cannot use logic/facts to argue someone out of an emotionally made opinion.

I've often wondered why, with a preponderance of engineers, we have such an emotionally based board?

Don't file off your edges to fit in a round hole!!! Just keep in the back of your mind that you cannot use logic/facts to argue someone out of an emotionally made opinion.

I've often wondered why, with a preponderance of engineers, we have such an emotionally based board?

1) Engineers are competitive in the same spirit as athletes. Some get to the point of poor reasoning in effort to make their point so their solution is selected.

2) We have never been given the proper data to differentiate between choices and solutions so that when we integrate every thing we know, our analyses fall short of success.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT