ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Basketball Thread

Its funny how nc here will use KenPom until KenPom shows that Purdues offense is better then all of the sudden its not time to use KenPom anymore. This is why you dont care what trolls post on the internet. Its all wanting, none of it is genuine.

Reactions: Schnelk
Well as of right now it is definitely an opinion at IU. Did he do some nice things at Dayton. Opinion is what people believe he will do at IU because nothing factual backs that up. Some coaches move to a bigger program because they know the high risk reward it possesses. Crean made a FF and never duplicated that at IU. This is why it's an opinion and not a fact.
It's very similar to Purdue fan's feelings about Brohm. Everything points to future success. The same can be said about Archie.

Its funny how nc here will use KenPom until KenPom shows that Purdues offense is better then all of the sudden its not time to use KenPom anymore. This is why you dont care what trolls post on the internet. Its all wanting, none of it is genuine.
I think I have pointed to NET rankings far mor than I have pointed to kenpom. Troll on though.

Lol are you trying to say Purdue is as good as Duke? Kenpom is flawed. Last year's offensive numbers have to be playing a big part of your current offensive rating, because Purdue isnt close to a top 10 team offensively.

Which of these teams is better offensively?

Team A:

FG%: 53%
3pt%: 37%
FT%: 63.5%
Pts: 79.9

Team B:

FG: 45.8%
3pt%: 37.5%
FT%: 73.9%
Pts: 78.8

You are ranked 34th in the NET rankings while IU, Marquette, and Louisville are all top 20.

If you want to keep talking kenpom, tell me more about your quality kenpom wins.
Nice spin. I never said Purdue is as good as Duke. Kenpom is less than 30 days from no longer relying on last years data, so it’s pretty accurate today and if that is the data you are using, then the same flaws exist in your argument.
The facts are as follows.
You’re an IU fan on a Purdue site, puffing your chest out in December, after playing a much weaker schedule and not beating a single team as good as Purdue. Oh, and Tommy Luce is a better 3 point shooter than anyone on your team.
I am curious. Do you not see how insecure you appear, trying to convince us that IU is some great team on our board? I mean, if you had played some road games and beaten some good teams, I could understand it after two years of missing the tourney. But, that isn’t the case and you already lost on a bet you claimed to know you would win. Maybe tell us some more about how much money you make and how your degree is more valuable than a recent Purdue grad.

Reactions: Schnelk
"Hey I'm pretty sure I use this dumbass metric far more than KenPom to drive my biased narrative"

Lol ok.

Anyways, I watched Ohio State yesterday, Im pretty sure theyre really good again.

"Hey I'm pretty sure I use this dumbass metric far more than KenPom to drive my biased narrative"

Lol ok.

Anyways, I watched Ohio State yesterday, Im pretty sure theyre really good again.
No no they’re not! You obviously don’t know basketball! They are decent but nothing special.

A chief criticism of NET from Silver is that the tool only takes into consideration the strength of schedule in one of the five metrics. Why there are five metrics was also an issue. But with strength of schedule as only one of the five the metrics that could “reward teams with good records against very poor schedules.”

You can already see this with teams such as Belmont, who is no. 9 in NET and no. 214 in the strength of schedule metric from KenPom. San Francisco is no. 12 in NET and no. 330 in strength of schedule. Loyola Marymount is no. 25 in NET, but no. 332 in KenPom’s strength of schedule tool.

I can see why IU fans love the NET rankings, yet, like all of the other predictive algorithms, it is faulty when the data pool is incomplete. Strength of schedule is a real thing and IU hasn’t played a string schedule. I do believe Purdue has played the toughest schedule out of all B1G teams thus far.

No no they’re not! You obviously don’t know basketball! They are decent but nothing special.

Here, have some Mac Mclung highlights. Anything to keep you focused on something other than making another dump post.

Nice spin. I never said Purdue is as good as Duke. Kenpom is less than 30 days from no longer relying on last years data, so it’s pretty accurate today and if that is the data you are using, then the same flaws exist in your argument.
The facts are as follows.
You’re an IU fan on a Purdue site, puffing your chest out in December, after playing a much weaker schedule and not beating a single team as good as Purdue. Oh, and Tommy Luce is a better 3 point shooter than anyone on your team.
I am curious. Do you not see how insecure you appear, trying to convince us that IU is some great team on our board? I mean, if you had played some road games and beaten some good teams, I could understand it after two years of missing the tourney. But, that isn’t the case and you already lost on a bet you claimed to know you would win. Maybe tell us some more about how much money you make and how your degree is more valuable than a recent Purdue grad.
We beat PSU on the road. We have wins over Marquette, Louisville, and Butler. Should we discuss your good wins? Are there any?

It's very similar to Purdue fan's feelings about Brohm. Everything points to future success. The same can be said about Archie.
I agree to disagree. The difference is Brohm took a bottom dweller and turned it into a bowl team. Archie didn't perform that well his first year and that's the difference.

I agree to disagree. The difference is Brohm took a bottom dweller and turned it into a bowl team. Archie didn't perform that well his first year and that's the difference.
Lol literally half of college football makes a bowl game. There are 36 available at large bids for the tournament. It's significantly harder to make the tournament than it is to get to a bowl game.

A chief criticism of NET from Silver is that the tool only takes into consideration the strength of schedule in one of the five metrics. Why there are five metrics was also an issue. But with strength of schedule as only one of the five the metrics that could “reward teams with good records against very poor schedules.”

You can already see this with teams such as Belmont, who is no. 9 in NET and no. 214 in the strength of schedule metric from KenPom. San Francisco is no. 12 in NET and no. 330 in strength of schedule. Loyola Marymount is no. 25 in NET, but no. 332 in KenPom’s strength of schedule tool.

I can see why IU fans love the NET rankings, yet, like all of the other predictive algorithms, it is faulty when the data pool is incomplete. Strength of schedule is a real thing and IU hasn’t played a string schedule. I do believe Purdue has played the toughest schedule out of all B1G teams thus far.
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

You may want to look at the rankings again because none of those teams are ranked where you say they are.

Right now Kenyon isn’t even relevant
False

As of 2018, it is 73 days from the date of the first game. This ends up being sometime around January 20th. However, the influence of the preseason ratings is gradually reduced between the first week of the season and this point, so that the influence of the preseason ratings is minimal in mid-January.

Preseason ranking right now have less affect on rankings and in less than a month they will have very little if any at all.
Using preseason rankings is also much more accurate than not using them as is explained here.

https://kenpom.com/blog/preseason-ratings-why-weight/

Haha classic. All 3 of those teams are behind Illinois though, right?

Illinois is the worst team in the conference by far. Even worse than Rutgers to me. Way more talent than many teams above them but Brad Underwood appears to be a horrible coach.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

You may want to look at the rankings again because none of those teams are ranked where you say they are.
Explain how NET works for me?

NET is faulty right now and it can be argued that it is much less accurate than Kenpom, which has a long history of accuracy, even in December. Kenpom is weighted for outliers. Can you explain for us how NET works and why it is more accurate.

Here is the Kenpom BTW, which shoes Purdue, with 5 losses, as better than IU and any team IU has beaten.

https://kenpom.com/

And yet your beloved team couldn't make one.
Nope, clappy put us in a bad place with the roster he left. We are certainly on the right track now. Will be competing for a Big 10 championship in year 2 and will have one of the top 2 conference recruiting classes coming in.

NET is faulty right now and it can be argued that it is much less accurate than Kenpom, which has a long history of accuracy, even in December. Kenpom is weighted for outliers. Can you explain for us how NET works and why it is more accurate.

Here is the Kenpom BTW, which shoes Purdue, with 5 losses, as better than IU and any team IU has beaten.

That's how you know Kenpom is flawed. It also "shoes" Purdue as the 6th best offense which is laughable.

Casual fans dont understand KenPom. To them a win is a win and a loss is a loss and if a team loses it.means they are bad. It does not matter to them who they played or whether a game was a coin flip. Sophisticated fans understand things like efficiency and strength of schedule. You will forever be wasting your time.trying to explain KenPom to people who dont understand it.

Casual fans dont understand KenPom. To them a win is a win and a loss is a loss and if a team loses it.means they are bad. It does not matter to them who they played or whether a game was a coin flip. Sophisticated fans understand things like efficiency and strength of schedule. You will forever be wasting your time.trying to explain KenPom to people who dont understand it.
Losses to Michigan, VT, and FSU arent bad losses. The loss to Texas and Notre Dame were bad losses. It's more about Purdue having no good wins than who they have lost to. They are going to mightily struggle to make the tournament this year. Then as many of your own posters have pointed out, next year looks bleak.

They also don’t understand that the preseason will drop off around January 20 or in IU’s case, five more games.

Losses to Michigan, VT, and FSU arent bad losses. The loss to Texas and Notre Dame were bad losses. It's more about Purdue having no good wins than who they have lost to. They are going to mightily struggle to make the tournament this year. Then as many of your own posters have pointed out, next year looks bleak.

See this is what I mean @proudopete

Lunardi has them as an 8 seed and Bart Torvik has them as a heavy favorite to make the tournament. KenPom has them as a top 20 team projected to finish with a winning record in the toughest conference in the nation. But a casual fan just sees that Purdue lost some games so in his mind Purdue wont make the tournament now, even though a 18-14 team was in comfortably last season and 19-14 MSU was a 9 seed two years ago and 19-14 Vandy was in as a 9 seed two years ago as well.

SOS is a helluva drug.

Nope, clappy put us in a bad place with the roster he left. We are certainly on the right track now. Will be competing for a Big 10 championship in year 2 and will have one of the top 2 conference recruiting classes coming in.
Also, we made both and you missed both. Now jump to your board and let them know how you feel.

See this is what I mean @proudopete

Lunardi has them as an 8 seed and Bart Torvik has them as a heavy favorite to make the tournament. KenPom has them as a top 20 team projected to finish with a winning record in the toughest conference in the nation. But a casual fan just sees that Purdue lost some games so in his mind Purdue wont make the tournament now, even though a 18-14 team was in comfortably last season and 19-14 MSU was a 9 seed two years ago and 19-14 Vandy was in as a 9 seed two years ago as well.

SOS is a helluva drug.
Jerry Palm (a Purdue grad) doesnt have them in the tournament, or even in the last 4 out.

Also, we made both and you missed both. Now jump to your board and let them know how you feel.
Nah, I think I'll stay here. Which program would you say is trending up and which program is trending down? Dont forget to give reasons why.

Nah, I think I'll stay here. Which program would you say is trending up and which program is trending down? Dont forget to give reasons why.

Indiana loses their only good player next year in Juwan Morgan. Im not sure how theyll be good either offensively or defensively.

Who is honestly even going to be good for them next year?

Explain to me, as best you can, how that is relevant to this discussion.
You cited guys like Lunardi and Torvik who happen to have Purdue in right now. I cited Jerry Palm who doesnt have him in. Jerry Palm and Lunardi have the same job.

Indiana loses their only good player next year in Juwan Morgan. Im not sure how theyll be good either offensively or defensively.

Who is honestly even going to be good for them next year?
Phinisee, TJD, Brooks, Hunter, Smith, Durham, Thompson. Should I go on?

You will lose Morgan and hesh the best player on your team and most likely RL. Take away 2 of your top players. Yes, you bring in TJD but don't get to excited on KBJ until he signs. I know the family really well. He loves the brand and sales pitch of Cal also, MSU is not out of the picture. Don't be fooled because he hasn't signed yet. Could IU get him, sure. I wouldn't guarantee anything if I were you.

You will lose Morgan and hesh the best player on your team and most likely RL. Take away 2 of your top players. Yes, you bring in TJD but don't get to excited on KBJ until he signs. I know the family really well. He loves the brand and sales pitch of Cal also, MSU is not out of the picture. Don't be fooled because he hasn't signed yet. Could IU get him, sure. I wouldn't guarantee anything if I were you.
As pointed out, we lose Morgan and Romeo. We also bring in TJD, Hunter (top 50 redshirting), Thompson (top 100 likely redahirting), and likely Brooks.

We still have RP, Durham, Green, Davis, and Smith who all get a ton of run on this team.

Now let's look at Purdue. You lose an AA, and your 2nd leading scorer with carsen and Cline. You lose a 3rd starter in Eifert. Based on what I've heard from people close to Purdue, you will also likely lose Nojel (either this week or at the end of the season).

Now, you have pretty good players in Wheeler, EB, and Haarms. You have a decent player in Newman coming in. After that....

Phinisee, TJD, Brooks, Hunter, Smith, Durham, Thompson. Should I go on?

Brooks and TJD are freshmen. After you promised me Romeo Langford would be a good jump shooter and not have to rely on 2 pointers versus overmatched low majors, I dont think we need to go down that well again with those 2 do we?

The Duke game showed what happens when you properly gameplan against his broken jumpshot.

Who is Thompson?

Smith has a Box +/- of 1.6 playing a weak schedule so far so hes not really good. Thats worse than Purdues walk on, Kyle King. Smith is a mac level talent.

Phinissee only has a 107 offensive rating while not having to carry a heavy load. His usage is only 15. So he really isnt all that efficient while not having to do anything, so Im not sure how he will all of the sudden become a good player next year when he has to do more. He seems like his absolute ceiling is PJ Thompson if everything goes right.

I did forget about Al Jamin, he will probably he your leading scorer next year and be an all conference type of player. Other than him, Im not sure why you listed anyone else when none of them are proven good players. Seems like a lot of wanting, which is fine - thats part of sports fandom hoping your team exceeds reasonable expectations - but realistically, they dont have any major good offensive or defensive players returning.

Romeo Langford and Juwan Morgan are the entire offense as far as usage. Nobody else really contributes any creating other than shooting wide open shots those 2 create. The one player who does create is Devonte Green and hes been wildly inefficient again.

Like Justin Smith, Green has a sub 100 offensive rating. Thats terrible. Hes a mac level talent if we are being honest. Would imagine he finally transfers after this year once Franklin comes in, otherwise Franklin is taking all his minutes.

Brooks and TJD are freshmen. After you promised me Romeo Langford would be a good jump shooter and not have to rely on 2 pointers versus overmatched low majors, I dont think we need to go down that well again with those 2 do we?

The Duke game showed what happens when you properly gameplan against his broken jumpshot.

Who is Thompson?

Smith has a Box +/- of 1.6 playing a weak schedule so far so hes not really good. Thats worse than Purdues walk on, Kyle King. Smith is a mac level talent.

Phinissee only has a 107 offensive rating while not having to carry a heavy load. His usage is only 15. So he really isnt all that efficient while not having to do anything, so Im not sure how he will all of the sudden become a good player next year when he has to do more. He seems like his absolute ceiling is PJ Thompson if everything goes right.

I did forget about Al Jamin, he will probably he your leading scorer next year and be an all conference type of player. Other than him, Im not sure why you listed anyone else when none of them are proven good players. Seems like a lot of wanting, which is fine - thats part of sports fandom hoping your team exceeds reasonable expectations - but realistically, they dont have any major good offensive or defensive players returning.

Romeo Langford and Juwan Morgan are the entire offense as far as usage. Nobody else really contributes any creating other than shooting wide open shots those 2 create. The one player who does create is Devonte Green and hes been wildly inefficient again.

Like Justin Smith, Green has a sub 100 offensive rating. Thats terrible. Hes a mac level talent if we are being honest. Would imagine he finally transfers after this year once Franklin comes in, otherwise Franklin is taking all his minutes.
This is comparing Purdue and IU, you realize that right? Carsen and Cline have usages that Exceed Romeo and Morgan. I said Romeo would average 17 and 6. Look what he is averaging.

Sasha has an 85 Ortg. Eric Hunter has a 1.4 box +/-. MAC level, right?

A lot of our offensive production will come from 1st year guys with TJD, Brooks, Hunter, and Thompson (out with concussion). We still have other offensive weapons in RP, Green, Durham, and Smith returning though. Those 4 average more ppg than anyone on Purdue outside of EB, and I know you hate EB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT